ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Gazza: Question about Gimme Shelter 72-73 Return to archive
August 27th, 2005 03:16 PM
souldoggie A question for Gazza, or whomever. Thanks in advance. I play guitar a little bit...some nights, my band buddies and I will often start playing Stones songs, go figure. When we do, I'll tune to open G and let it rip.

Regarding Gimme Shelter: On the 1972-73 tours, does Keith play this thing in open G? We've done it in both standard and G tunings, and it sounds good either way...at least to us. And it's just as easy with either tuning, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Another question...more general...when Taylor plays slide at these shows (All Down The Line, for example), what tuning is he in? Open?

Thanks again.
August 27th, 2005 03:24 PM
scratched All standard tuning.
August 27th, 2005 03:46 PM
souldoggie Thanks scratched...the studio Gimme Shelter is in standard, as well?

Taylor always played his slide in standard?

Thanks again.
August 27th, 2005 04:37 PM
Gazza
quote:
souldoggie wrote:
A question for Gazza, or whomever. Thanks in advance. I play guitar a little bit...some nights, my band buddies and I will often start playing Stones songs, go figure. When we do, I'll tune to open G and let it rip.

Regarding Gimme Shelter: On the 1972-73 tours, does Keith play this thing in open G? We've done it in both standard and G tunings, and it sounds good either way...at least to us. And it's just as easy with either tuning, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Another question...more general...when Taylor plays slide at these shows (All Down The Line, for example), what tuning is he in? Open?

Thanks again.

I'm not a guitar player. I wouldnt be qualified to comment on anything like that. Plenty of people here who would know these things, however!
August 27th, 2005 04:58 PM
scratched
quote:
souldoggie wrote:
Thanks scratched...the studio Gimme Shelter is in standard, as well?

Taylor always played his slide in standard?

Thanks again.

No problem!

I always thought that the studio version of Gimme Shelter was in standard tuning but I also remember hearing on this board that it is in open E or D.

Mick Taylor pretty much always played slide in standard tuning. The only exceptions I can think of are in Sway, where he plays slide licks in open G, and at the '69 Hyde Park gig (Love In Vain and maybe some others).
August 27th, 2005 05:02 PM
souldoggie Cool. Thanks.
August 27th, 2005 06:01 PM
jpenn11 I think Taylor played LIV in open G.

The source for this stuff is usually mathijs on iorr.org. He used to have a website, but it's been down for a while.

Or try micktaylor.net--there is an instruction page.
[Edited by jpenn11]
August 28th, 2005 12:28 AM
Child of the Moon From what I've read, Taylor was one of those rare slide players who almost always stuck with standard tuning, much like Duane Allman.

Most - if not all - live versions of Gimme Shelter are in standard tuning. Just watch the Ladies and Gentlemen film, and you'lll see Keith playing standard barre chords.

As for the studio version, I've heard in many places that it was played in open E, but I can't seem to get that one to work for me when I play it. Doesn't sound quite right.

I've heard there's a very differrnt arrangement of Gimme Shelter from the 1970 tour of Europe. They only played it once, apparently. Anyone have info about this and/or a recording? I'd love to hear it!
August 28th, 2005 02:34 AM
Staffan Yeah, GS was played in Malmø in Sweden in 1970. There is a bootleg, but I've heard that it ranks among the all-time worst sounding Stones boots...

Another rare gem is SFTP from 1970. I think it was played in Paris, and there is an excellent sounding version on a bootleg. It fades out on Taylor's solo which is very sad.
August 28th, 2005 04:09 PM
jpenn11
quote:
Staffan wrote:
Yeah, GS was played in Malmø in Sweden in 1970. There is a bootleg, but I've heard that it ranks among the all-time worst sounding Stones boots...

I've heard it's not good, but it can't be among the all-time worst. I've heard one from Australia 1973 that sounds like it was recorded the day after the concert in the next county. And there are reports of midwest US concert in the mid-70s where the taper leaves the tape running while he goes to the john . . .

quote:

Another rare gem is SFTD from 1970. I think it was played in Paris, and there is an excellent sounding version on a bootleg. It fades out on Taylor's solo which is very sad.

Great recordings from 1970 are rare, but SFTD was played throughout the European tour that year. The cut SFTD you refer to I believe is on "From the Vaults".
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)