ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006

[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Got myself a "Bang" ... personnel credits Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 26th, 2005 01:18 PM
Mel Belli Most everyone knows the material...What to add? The personnel credits? Reinforced my impression that Mick owns this album. He did a great job.

Rough Justice
Mick: vocals, guitar
Keith: guitar
Charlie: drums
Ronnie: slide guitar
Darryl: bass
Chuck: piano

Let Me Down Slow
Keith: guitar, backing vocals
Ronnie: slide guitar

It Won't Take Long
Ronnie: guitar
Chuck: organ

Rain Fall Down
Mick: vocals, guitar, keyboards, vibes
Matt Clifford: keyboards, vibes, programming

Streets of Love
Matt: piano, organ, strings, programming
Chuck: piano, organ

Back of My Hand
Mick: vocals, slide guitar, harmonica, percussion, bass

She Saw Me Coming
Mick: vocals, bass, percussion
Keith: guitar, backing vocals, piano
Blondie Chaplin: backing vocals

Biggest Mistake
Chuck: organ

This Place Is Empty
Keith: vocals, guitar, piano, bass
Mick: slide guitar, backing vocals
Don Was: piano

Oh No, Not You Again
Keith: guitars, bass

Dangerous Beauty
Mick: vocals, guitar, bass
(No credit for organ; probably Chuck)

Laugh, I Nearly Died
Mick: vocals, guitar, keyboards, percussion

Sweet Neo Con
Mick: vocals, guitar, bass, harmonica, keyboards

Look What the Cat Dragged In
Mick: vocals, guitar, bass
Lenny Castro: percussion

Driving Too Fast
Mick: vocals, guitar, guitar
Chuck: piano

Infamy
Keith: vocals, guitar, keyboards, bass, percussion
Mick: guitar, backing vocals, harmonica, keyboards, percussion
Blondie: backing vocals

Tracks 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 15 mixed by Jack Joseph Puig. Great producer!

The rest were mixed by Krish Sharma, who's credited with recording all tracks in France and St. Vincent, West Indies.

August 26th, 2005 01:30 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl All vocals by Mick in LIND???
August 26th, 2005 01:31 PM
ResidentMule with all the times I've seen Mick flailing around with a guitar I have a tough time picturing him holding down the bass. he plays quite a lot of both on the album. I was hoping for a little more bass from Keith
August 26th, 2005 01:34 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
All vocals by Mick in LIND???

That's what the notes say anyway...
August 26th, 2005 01:42 PM
Gazza Find that amazing, myself.

Is there definitely organ on 'Dangerous beauty'?

Two bassists on ONNYA? Odd...
August 26th, 2005 01:44 PM
Factory Girl Is that hired bass player not on Bang??
August 26th, 2005 01:47 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Find that amazing, myself.

There's defintely organ on DB. Kind of an instrumental bridge; very cool.

I'm guessing the tracks that show more than one bass are cases of Darryl playing on top of a demo or scratch track or something like that.
August 26th, 2005 01:48 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Gazza wrote:

typically this means that there are not two seperate bass lines, but perhaps mick didnt like a spot or two of the original bass and a few notes were dubbed in.
August 26th, 2005 02:27 PM
gotdablouse So we had to wait till 2005 to have Mick's bass playing committed to tape, amazing, I wasn't even aware he'd played any bass before!

I'm struck by the absence of Ronnie on 6 tunes, he really is little more than a session/touring player, odd they would have so litte interest in his participation to the creation process.
August 26th, 2005 02:29 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Tracks 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 15 mixed by Jack Joseph Puig. Great producer!

Jack's amazing.

He's produced The Black Crowes.

did a gorgeous job with the Three Snakes And One Charm album

on another note... I vomited up my lunch when I read Matt Clifford's name in the credits
August 26th, 2005 02:48 PM
Gazza
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
So we had to wait till 2005 to have Mick's bass playing committed to tape, amazing, I wasn't even aware he'd played any bass before!

I'm struck by the absence of Ronnie on 6 tunes, he really is little more than a session/touring player, odd they would have so litte interest in his participation to the creation process.

I would imagine that may have had more to do with Ronnie's health problems at the time than anything else

Plus, Mick and Keith worked on a lot of the demos and basic tracks themselves when writing the songs and would have taken care of a lot of the stuff that Ronnie would have otherwise done had he been there. They obviously needed Charlie to add drum parts over any rudimentary parts that Mick had done, whereas theres little that Ronnie would have needed to add that Keith couldnt have done himself. Same to some extent with Darryl's bass parts.
August 26th, 2005 03:19 PM
gimmekeef From what I've read it sounds like Mick and Keith to a lesser extent were on a roll and just kept the vibe going rather than wait for Ronnie or others.Then when they saw the results perhaps decided the minamalistic approach worked.Doubt they would snub Ronnie unless he truly was in bad shape....
August 26th, 2005 06:34 PM
Mel Belli I think MICK was on a roll. After giving the CD a couple of thorough listens, I think now that Mick wrote 11 of the 16 tracks completely on his own. Aside from the pair he sings, Keith co-wrote just three tunes on this very long album: "Rough Justice," "It Won't Take Long" and "She Saw Me Coming," in my humble estimation.

I'd thought Keith had a hand in "Driving Too Fast" and "Look What the Cat Dragged In," but after hearing the tracks in full I don't think so anymore.

Rather than look at the negative side of this -- that Keith has clearly become something of a mooch -- I see it in a positive light. Namely, Mick is in astonishing form. Given how well sings on the album (God, is "Laugh, I Nearly Died" stunning) and how much he wrote and contributed instrumentally, not to mention the physical condition he's in for tour, the guy is simply amazing.

[Edited by Mel Belli]
August 26th, 2005 07:35 PM
Soldatti Mel, What do you think about the album?
August 26th, 2005 08:41 PM
IanBillen [quote]Gazza wrote:

It is not common but it happens. It may be a composite track meaning they really liked how maybe one of the musicians did a bit in the song on bass and the rest is another musician. The two are digitally spliced together to form one bass track.

Ian
August 27th, 2005 12:27 AM
Bruno Stone
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
I think MICK was on a roll. After giving the CD a couple of thorough listens, I think now that Mick wrote 11 of the 16 tracks completely on his own. Aside from the pair he sings, Keith co-wrote just three tunes on this very long album: "Rough Justice," "It Won't Take Long" and "She Saw Me Coming," in my humble estimation.

I'd thought Keith had a hand in "Driving Too Fast" and "Look What the Cat Dragged In," but after hearing the tracks in full I don't think so anymore.

Rather than look at the negative side of this -- that Keith has clearly become something of a mooch -- I see it in a positive light. Namely, Mick is in astonishing form. Given how well sings on the album (God, is "Laugh, I Nearly Died" stunning) and how much he wrote and contributed instrumentally, not to mention the physical condition he's in for tour, the guy is simply amazing.

[Edited by Mel Belli]

That`s why Mick is my favourite. He works. He is a professional. He worths each coin. He never does it sloppy. He is pure talent.
August 27th, 2005 01:54 AM
Child of the Moon Geez, Mick seems to be on fire. I had no idea he even knew how to hold a bass, let alone play it. Kudos to him! I think times have certainly changed - I think Mick is definitely the driving force behind this band now.
August 27th, 2005 06:12 AM

I would imagine that may have had more to do with Ronnie's health problems at the time than anything else

Plus, Mick and Keith worked on a lot of the demos and basic tracks themselves when writing the songs and would have taken care of a lot of the stuff that Ronnie would have otherwise done had he been there. They obviously needed Charlie to add drum parts over any rudimentary parts that Mick had done, whereas theres little that Ronnie would have needed to add that Keith couldnt have done himself. Same to some extent with Darryl's bass parts.

Yeah, I agree for the most part here it's just IMHO I really don't think Ronnies health was an issue. Let's face it. The guy was all over Hell's half acre doing live shows and art exhibits and alot of other things around this time. I think what it really boils down to was I think alot of the songs were going so well they decided not to ruin a good thing. Besides he is on there for 10 songs. It isn't as if he was only there on two, three or four. He just wasn't as involved in the creative process as Mick, Keith, and then Charlie so he wasn't needed for some numbers. If the rest of the band would of thought something wasn't right they would of for sure had Ronnie do over-dubbs or re-recorded a few more numbers. Lord knows they took their good old time with it.

Ian
August 27th, 2005 09:43 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Mel, What do you think about the album?

I love the thing until the last four tracks; then it flags. "Sweet Neo Con" is thin, whiny, and weak. It's not the politics: I wouldn't care for it if it were called "Sweet Ears of Corn." LWTCDI is OK, but kind of unhip - it's like the Stones trying to sound like a Latin wedding band. "Driving Too Fast" is a middling rocker that the album could have done without. And "Infamy" is, generously speaking, a sketch of a song.

But 1-through-12 impressed the hell out of me...
[Edited by Mel Belli]
August 27th, 2005 10:14 AM
glencar Infamy was pretty cool in concert last night but I haven't heard the studio version yet.
August 27th, 2005 10:28 AM
IanBillen [quote]glencar wrote:
Infamy was pretty cool in concert last night but I haven't heard the studio version yet.

Then open your ears boy. That is right. I said boy. Sheeeit.
And your Gazza is simply disgusting these days.

Ian
August 27th, 2005 10:34 AM
glencar
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
[quote]glencar wrote:
Infamy was pretty cool in concert last night but I haven't heard the studio version yet.

Then open your ears boy. That is right. I said boy. Sheeeit.
And your Gazza is simply disgusting these days.

Ian

Open my ears, moron? Whatcha saying? If the thing isn't in front of me, I can't play it. Gabeesh?
August 27th, 2005 10:43 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Yeah, I agree for the most part here it's just IMHO I really don't think Ronnies health was an issue. Let's face it. The guy was all over Hell's half acre doing live shows and art exhibits and alot of other things around this time.

Attending an art exhibit is hardly time consuming or physically draining, lets face it. Its hardly comparable to working eight hours in a recording studio six days a week.

Plus he only did one show and an occasional guest appearance. Apparently the reason why the Drury Lane show was relatively short was because Ronnie at the time wasnt physically up to playing for much longer.

Agree with the rest of your post, however
August 27th, 2005 03:16 PM
Moonisup thanks to ray fromt he dutch stonesforum!
August 27th, 2005 06:40 PM
the good I don't know why everyone keeps saying this is Mick's album. Its impossible to know that at this point.
August 27th, 2005 07:22 PM
gotdablouse Well it does seem at this point that most of the songs are ideas that Mick came up with in the first place, but then that was also the case for Sticky Fingers or Some Girls and I don't think anyone calls these Mick's albums. What really matters is that Mick and Keith really worked on it together in the same room for days on end and then mixed it together in L.A.
August 27th, 2005 07:41 PM

Attending an art exhibit is hardly time consuming or physically draining, lets face it. Its hardly comparable to working eight hours in a recording studio six days a week.

Plus he only did one show and an occasional guest appearance. Apparently the reason why the Drury Lane show was relatively short was because Ronnie at the time wasnt physically up to playing for much longer.

Agree with the rest of your post, however

I see. I didn't realize he was really under the weather.
I also didn't know that is why the drury lane gig was short. But Gazza, Geeze that wasn't that long ago. If he was so down or under the weather then how on earth is he all ready for a world tour now? Granted it was going on a year ago but still. How can someone be too drained to record one year and then the next be ready to go on a year long world tour? I am not disagreeing here I just don't get it actually. A doctor wouldn't allow it if that was the case. He would say it wasn't a good idea at all to attempt such a tour...maybe ever again at approaching 60 years old and the given circumstances. Don't you think? or what's your take on it.

Ian
August 27th, 2005 08:58 PM
Bob Tamp Just listened to the studio infamy. Kind of like it. Its not a classic, but its sure better than anything new off 40 licks. I can live with that. Im really starting to look forward to this album.
August 27th, 2005 09:12 PM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
I see. I didn't realize he was really under the weather.
I also didn't know that is why the drury lane gig was short. But Gazza, Geeze that wasn't that long ago. If he was so down or under the weather then how on earth is he all ready for a world tour now? Granted it was going on a year ago but still. How can someone be too drained to record one year and then the next be ready to go on a year long world tour? I am not disagreeing here I just don't get it actually. A doctor wouldn't allow it if that was the case. He would say it wasn't a good idea at all to attempt such a tour...maybe ever again at approaching 60 years old and the given circumstances. Don't you think? or what's your take on it.

Ian

well the Drury Lane show was 13th of March, so thats almost 6 months ago..I think Ronnie was on the road to recovery then but I suppose at that time not up to anything too rigorous or for a prolonged period of time.

Now, he obviously is capable of doing so..these guys would undergo medical tests for insurance purposes before every tour so no doubt he's relatively OK. No way for example would AmeriQuest sponsor a tour to the tune of tens of millions of dollars if they felt there was a high risk that the band wouldnt all be around to complete it.

A year is a very long time to have to get yourself together. A lot of his absences from the sessions would probably be down to their timing and his condition as it was at that point and also, as you say above, the nature of the way this record was made, in that Mick and Keith got a lot of the basic work down between themselves when writing the songs.My guess is that much of what Ronnie contributed to the album would have been recorded at the sessions that followed that Drury Lane show.
August 27th, 2005 11:56 PM

well the Drury Lane show was 13th of March, so thats almost 6 months ago..I think Ronnie was on the road to recovery then but I suppose at that time not up to anything too rigorous or for a prolonged period of time.

Now, he obviously is capable of doing so..these guys would undergo medical tests for insurance purposes before every tour so no doubt he's relatively OK. No way for example would AmeriQuest sponsor a tour to the tune of tens of millions of dollars if they felt there was a high risk that the band wouldnt all be around to complete it.

A year is a very long time to have to get yourself together. A lot of his absences from the sessions would probably be down to their timing and his condition as it was at that point and also, as you say above, the nature of the way this record was made, in that Mick and Keith got a lot of the basic work down between themselves when writing the songs.My guess is that much of what Ronnie contributed to the album would have been recorded at the sessions that followed that Drury Lane show.

Oh I see. That is also my guess. That most of what Woody did with The Stones on this record was in March, April, and May of this year. I just read the reason (or a contributer) that Woody was not present earlier is because he was really emotionaly broken up and thrown by the suicide of his ex. Yes, I knew there are complete physicals before eac h tour or eles it wouldn't ever be funded in such ways. But have we really any evidence, or proof that ronnie was under the weather or is this all peoples guesses since he is not present on every track.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)