ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

Shepherds Bush Empire, London - December 11, 2001
By Richard Young

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Today's header pic. Return to archive
08-28-02 12:58 AM
gypsymofo60 The perils of rock n' roll decadence!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rock on Keef!
08-28-02 07:11 AM
Soul Survivor What kind of Gibson is that he's playing?

6 more days.........
08-28-02 07:12 AM
beer i would guess it's a ES 335, but i aint sure. beatiful guitar though!

-
08-28-02 07:52 AM
Mathijs That's a 1959 Gibson ES-355TDSV (Thin body, Double Cutaway, Stereo Varitone). At the time the most expenisve and luxurious model aiming at the C&W and Pop market. Due to the Varitone system (which is a large capacitor offering bass and treble boosts with a flick of the switch) the 355 is seen as a lesser instrument than the highly sought after ES-335.

Judging from the pic's I've seen of Keith with this guitar, he replaced the original golden PAF humbuckers by new ones, wired the guitar to mono (the guitar can not be played with the mono wireless sytem Keith uses) and most probably took out the varitone system, as I have seen pictures with the varitone switch in positions that would yield an useless sound. The switch is there just for visual appeal. As the varitone system sucks a lot of tone from the guitar, most players have it taken out for better tone.

The value of a mint 1959 ES355 would be US$12.000, with the electrics taken out around US$8.000, one owned and played by Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones more than US$150.000

Mathijs
08-28-02 07:57 AM
beer Hey Mathijs, is that an ES 335 that Keith played at Hyde Park 69? Was it originally Brian's? Do you know where that guitar is?
08-28-02 08:27 AM
nankerphelge That's some good shit right there 'bout the geetar!
On the stand next to him is a 1998 20" white plastic human skeleton from Fred's Novelties of Peoria, Illinois. Catalog price is $13.50 or $12.00 when bought by the gross.

08-28-02 11:28 AM
Mathijs Beer, check my website for this guitar info:

www.stonesinreview.tiscaliweb.nl

Mathijs
08-28-02 11:33 AM
Jumacfly Nanky

do you think it s the same skeleton they used for the 75 tour??
I know Ronnie had the same, but it was a red one, made in taiwan. So may be Keith has bought another stock of skeletons , but white ones, in Alabama , and used them during the VL tour.
Develloping....

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road