ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

Shepherds Bush Empire, London - December 11, 2001
By Richard Young

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Deep Purple Line-ups Return to archive
08-27-02 08:56 PM
stone jr. I want to know the Deep Purple line-ups. I might want to get into them. If you like Deep Purple, tell me the line-ups please.
08-27-02 09:03 PM
Nellcote WTF?
08-27-02 09:50 PM
sirmoonie Deep Purple called it quits years ago. You'll have to try to get into another band's lineup.

Hope this helps.
08-27-02 11:14 PM
Williamssj If you are a staunch Deep Purple MKII fanatic, then you must think the band called it quits in 1993. But, in fact, they are still active and are the only remaining dinosaur hard rock outfit who rock as genuinely hard as they did back in their heyday--that's 34 years!

If you want to get into DP, start out with their most productive and famous lineup(Mark II) from 1969-1973 and from 1984-1993, which includes:

Ritchie Blackmore-guitar
Ian Gillan-vocals
Roger Glover-bass
Jon Lord-keyboards
Ian Paice-drums

Deep Purple "In Rock" is the album that you should look for first if you want to get into them. It contains loud, aggressive and well-played hard rock. Then pick up Fireball, Machine Head, and perhaps Who Do We Think We Are if you find that you like them. Then move onto this Mark's later output. Then you can branch out and explore the other lineups.

Personally, I prefer DP to Led Zeppelin any day of the week. Blackmore was a more emotional and powerful guitarist than Page, creating wonderful riffs and demonic solos. Gillan had more range than Robby Plant could ever shake a stick at. Without overdoing it, I think Deep Purple was a better band and that they have been criminally underated in their contributions to hard rock and heavy metal.

If you have any more questions about DP, you can email me at [email protected]

-scott-
08-27-02 11:49 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Check this site http://www.thehighwaystar.com/
08-28-02 12:03 AM
gypsymofo60 To williamssj; Did/does anyone possess Gillian's range? The guy was a vocal freak!....All said in the nicest possible way.
08-28-02 12:52 AM
Williamssj Gillan was/is one of my favorite rock vocalists of all time. Nowadays, at around 57 his voice has been sorta shot. He can no longer reach those unbelievable high notes anymore and he does sound like an old man--which is perfectly understandable. But, then again...Mick Jagger sounds pretty damn good these days!

Nobody had his range, he could go from troll-like growling to those wonderful falsettos. "Child in Time" is the greatest example of his talents. He also has so much charisma which makes me like him more than Robert Plant. Plant these days is content on singing slow, slow, slow bluesy numbers which mask how far gone his voice is. At least Gillan tries to scream, albeit with mixed results, but still to push yourself so close to 60 is a true dedication to your art.
08-28-02 12:55 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Williamssj wrote:
Gillan was/is one of my favorite rock vocalists of all time. Nowadays, at around 57 his voice has been sorta shot. He can no longer reach those unbelievable high notes anymore and he does sound like an old man--which is perfectly understandable. But, then again...Mick Jagger sounds pretty damn good these days!

Nobody had his range, he could go from troll-like growling to those wonderful falsettos. "Child in Time" is the greatest example of his talents. He also has so much charisma which makes me like him more than Robert Plant. Plant these days is content on singing slow, slow, slow bluesy numbers which mask how far gone his voice is. At least Gillan tries to scream, albeit with mixed results, but still to push yourself so close to 60 is a true dedication to your art.

....Envy & jealousy have never been part of my make-up, just couldn't be arsed to be quite honest ......But I envied Gillies vocal range awright!

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road