ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

Shepherds Bush Empire, London - December 11, 2001
By Richard Young

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What I Know About Keith Return to archive Page: 1 2
08-27-02 01:20 AM
gypsy Right on, SS! I couldn't agree more!
08-27-02 01:49 AM
Prodigal Son Exactly, what does Keith owe us anymore Lucas? If you still think: oh, I know he did great stuff but he just blows now, then I don't care because as far as I'm concerned if you think that you just shouldn't have posted the message at all. Like SS said, where can you get off ripping Keith. It always happens that almost every rock star ends up doing foolish things later in life that make them seem like losers to a certain bunch of fans. In the Stones, Ronnie's drink and drug problems, Mick's... being Mick at nearly 60!, Bill marrying Mandy-an 18 year old for chrissake!, Keith doing what you mentioned. Even our beloved Mick T. became a bitter, fat ass no longer intent on playing guitar like a god. Hell, the only one Stone without emberassing traits (besides his surprising heroin habit in the mid-80s) since turning 40 is Charlie. So stop putting down Keith. Even the greatest of rock stars seem less vital later in life.
08-27-02 08:44 AM
lucasd4
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
So, lucasd...I'm still waiting for all this massive knowledge that you have about Keef....

As far as I'm concerned, you haven't shown us shit.

As soon as you write about 25 gold records, are generally acknowledged as THE rock and roll guitar player, and generate a 40 year career in THE greatest rock band on this or any other planet...then come back and tell us what for with Keef.

Don't like the way he does things now? Boo Hoo. I doubt he's gonna change for you, or ANYONE. He is what he is. Like it or lump it.

Oh, and BTW...I don't even own Talk Is Cheap. The only reason I own Main Offender is that I got it at a yard sale for a quarter. I'm not a big fan of the Winos. There's plenty of Keef stuff that I don't really care much for...but I did like "You Don't Have To Mean It". Just because I don't care for some of his stuff doesn't mean that I would presume to tell him what he should be doing, or how to fucking do it! Keef is da bomb, and dat's da fax Jack!

So Sirstonesalot,

Thanks for giving even more credibility to my assertion that you can't make negative comments about Keith around here without coming under attack...I could say practically anything negative about Jagger and there would be very little if any hostile rebuttal...say something even slightly negative about Keith, and the "Sparks Will Fly." Like I've said before, "You're Blinded By Love."
08-27-02 01:50 PM
gypsy You don't like Keith. Big deal. What you're doing is trying to ruffle peoples' feathers. I think YOU'RE an idiot.
08-27-02 01:54 PM
Joey " You don't like Keith. Big deal. What you're doing is trying to ruffle peoples' feathers. "

Speaking of ruffled feathers , Gypsy , did you find the ring that I placed in your lingerie drawer last evening ?

Please tell me you did ....I's gots to know .

Bunny Joey

08-27-02 03:15 PM
gypsy Why, yes I did! It was underneath my purple feathery boa. Thanks, sweetie!
08-27-02 03:24 PM
jaggedstone what sir said!!!
08-27-02 03:32 PM
Boomhauer
quote:
lucasd4 wrote:

So Sirstonesalot,

Thanks for giving even more credibility to my assertion that you can't make negative comments about Keith around here without coming under attack...I could say practically anything negative about Jagger and there would be very little if any hostile rebuttal...say something even slightly negative about Keith, and the "Sparks Will Fly." Like I've said before, "You're Blinded By Love."

As Beavis and Butthead would say: "Uhhhhhhh, you're stupid, uh huh huh huh!"

He is not attacking you. You start a thread with a title "What I know about Keith" or whatever and you think you are stating facts, when in fact you're just mad at Keith for some reason. Like he's your enemy or something. What SS is basically doing is saying "just shut your ass, because you can't change things about Keith, and Keith don't have to change for you because you nitpick at some stupid shit."

If the man (Keith) isn't doing any harm to anybody or acting violent, let him do what he wants to do.

08-27-02 06:18 PM
gypsy Maybe he wants to BE Keith...or, he wants to be WITH Keith.
08-27-02 06:59 PM
Sir Stonesalot Lucasd, you have no idea what you are talking about with me.

Go ahead, make some nasty little snipes at Jagger. If they sound unwarranted to me, I'll call you out for those comments as well.

Shit boy, I'll call you out for making unwarranted comments about friggin' Chuck L!

You wanna rag on Keith? Go ahead. Just don't think that there won't be a bunch of us giving you shit about it.

"Blinded By Love"...yeah, and your point is?
08-27-02 09:41 PM
Angiegirl Well, it's double. I don't doubt Keith's (or Mick's) musical abilities or motivations. I do agree with you in your comments about his on-stage moves (especially the foot on Chucks keyboard during HTW!), but that's secondary, right? I come to see the Stones and at most shows they blow my mind, especially when I'm standing front row on the pitch surrounded by real fans. I come to hear them. And they do satisfy (lol) me musically most of the times. It's the big picture you have to see, know what I mean? When you take every aspect of his behaviour out of its context it might seem silly or boring, but isn't that the case with all of us? It's the picture of all bandmembers together and the picture of their 40 year history.

This afternoon I had a talk with a mentor of mine. She's 52, a bit 'alternative', really digs the old rock music (also the Stones) and she said to me: "I saw a snippet of the Toronto clubshow last week and it worries me, they have to be aware of the danger of caricaturing themselves. It's the same old trick again and it starts looking silly to me. They should stop now. They've been great for over 30 years, but they have to acknowledge there's a time to stop and don't cross that border."
I can relate to her, but still I am so thrilled that I get another chance of seeing them live.

Of course it's not the same sound and feeling as a 69 or 71 show. Nothing is the same in this world. Are you? Am I gonna be the same when I'm 50 or 60? I sure as hell hope not, I want to evolve. there's nothing wrong with nostalgia (I deal with stones nostalgia every day, and I'm only 28!), but you have to see things in their right timeframe, because that's the way it is now.
That doesn't mean you can't be dissappointed about something they do or don't do, of course not. We're all passionate fans, but still we all have our own preferences and tastes about the stones. Long live freedom of speech.
It's not all black and white, there's a process too.
08-27-02 10:16 PM
lucasd4 [quote]Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Lucasd, you have no idea what you are talking about with me.

Go ahead, make some nasty little snipes at Jagger. If they sound unwarranted to me, I'll call you out for those comments as well.

Shit boy, I'll call you out for making unwarranted comments about friggin' Chuck L!

You wanna rag on Keith? Go ahead. Just don't think that there won't be a bunch of us giving you shit about it.

"Blinded By Love"...yeah, and your point is?

If you say that Keith plays as well onstage now as he did 30 years ago, then you're "Blinded By Love" for the man, the myth, the legend, the image and you can't bring yourself to acknowledge the truth....if you really BELIEVE that he's as good now, then you don't appreciate the difference between great rhythm guitar playing and good playing....Keith was once great...he's merely good now
08-27-02 10:18 PM
Boomhauer *************************************************

(crickets chirping in the field)

08-27-02 10:23 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
lucasd4 wrote:
Keith was once great...he's merely good now

So, even if he is, do you suggest that he shouldn't play anymore? I still enjoy the live shows, even knowing that they are not as magical and loose now as they were then, with their wonderful raw live sound. It is rather slick and tight schemed right now, yes, but I feel they are still relevant and good enough to play. I'm looking forward to seeing them. Maybe we should do this again after the tour, then we will know how his actual sound is.
08-27-02 10:36 PM
Sir Stonesalot I'll bet if you take a poll of guitar players, and ask them who the best rythmn guy is...a very big chunk of them will answer "Keith Richards".

Lemme tell you, Keef is WAY better than just about any other goober out there with a Tele. Can you play better than Keith? When you start playing better than Keith, lemme know. I'll start the Lucasd4 fan site for you.

You say he doesn't play very well any more. I say he plays just swell. In fact, I say the whole fucking band, warts and all, STILL kick major league ass. And if you don't believe that dude, then you are in the wrong place.

And you are really fucking dead on about this...I am, and always will be "Blinded By Love" for this band. And I don't see that as a bad thing...in fact, I don't ever want it to change. And I have very little tolerance for "fans" who don't feel the same way.
08-27-02 11:02 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I think the reason you feel that people get away with murder on Jagger is because in terms of outward personality, Keith is a very loose kind of guy - he says what he thinks, he does what he likes, and the public be damned. Mick is much more reserved - tries very hard to please everybody - with mixed results. Neither of them have changed much - it's just that people see Mick's much more careful side now while it was lost in the 60s and 70s with the bad boy Rolling Stone image. So they think Mick's changed and Keith hasn't - the fact is, neither of them have - they've both matured musically, certainly, but in terms of who they are, I think they've kept much of their old habits - even Charlie, from the start, said "You don't think I take it seriously, do you? It's a fucking rock'n'roll band!" Of course, Charlie has gone from being 'that quiet guy who does our drums' to 'our drum guru and spiritual advisor' over the years, Bill, Micky T, Brian and Stu are gone - and I'm off topic somewhere.

Aaah!

What was I thinking?

Ah, here we go - People see Mick as the businessman now more then they did before - and as a result he seems changed, unreal, not as good as the original. The others have remained mostly the same in the public eye from the start. But Mick hasn't changed, times have changed around him.

I don't call him out on anything - you don't like Keith's ballads? Fine - I don't like Mick's solo stuff, although there are some good numbers, even on Goddess, which I thought was a rather valiant attempt with some good songs (I like "God Gave Me Everything" and to a lesser extent "Visions Of Paradise"). Keith isn't hobnobbing with the top for kicks - he's doing it because it's what he likes to do - he likes being at the center of things.

If you think Keith's ballads are a new thing - erm... there's a song, back in 1969, that begins with a "Y" and ends with a "ou Got The Silver" which I think is his best song, followed up by "Before They Make Me Run" and "Happy" a distant third.

So who are we to criticize these people? We're paying money to see them - we are accepting the product as-is. There are no little "viewer feedback cards" on our seats. It's been said before, by just about everyone, but here's the bottom line - If you don't like what Keith's been up to all his life, observe the following rules: don't listen to his ballads, don't pay attention to his guitar, and don't go to the concerts.

And don't spoil it for the rest of us. Would I like to see Keith do another rocker? Hell yes! But I think his ballads have been quite good for years, better than Mick's for the most part, although "Always Suffering" gives him a run for his money, for the first time in awhile.

So, You're not going because you hate Keith so much, lucas, I assume? I'll be happy to take your tickets off your hands!

-tSYX --- Where once there was a Stone...
08-27-02 11:05 PM
full moon "It's Only Rock N Roll". What the hell??? They still rock and I enjoy their music, period....
08-27-02 11:11 PM
Sir Stonesalot That's the spirit full moon...THAT is the spirit.
08-27-02 11:18 PM
full moon I think people buy into the " media " garbage about the age thing. No one complains about Dylan. No one moans about several other acts that have "aged " gracefully. What is the problem? We do not need another Brown Sugar(I love it) or Miss You. This is 2002 and the boys are still making great music. Personally, I laugh at the constant complaints about B2B or Voodoo or Steel Wheels. Myself and several friends love all of those albums. There are always songs that are better than others , but for the love of God, quit moaning about everything. Gunface, Too Tight, Out Of Control, Saint Of Me , I Go Wild, Love Is Strong, You Got Me Rocking, Sad Sad Sad, Slipping Away, Hearts For Sale, etc.. are all great songs from these " horrible " albums. Give me a break...And the moaning about the lyrics, 95% of every singer/songwriter pens lyrics about love and sex.. So, why all the complaing about the lyrics? I think the reason is because people want to always tear down a good thing. And that is what the Stones are to me , a good thing...
08-27-02 11:21 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Thank you, lucasd, for passing the time before the start of the tour and temporarily making us forget the terrible waiting process. I am eagerly awaiting Stoneslyness to be injected into my body, "Don't Stop", Keith ballads and all.

Well said, full moon... It's Only Rock'n'roll...

And I like it, like it, yes I do!

-tSYX --- Never seeing no-one nice again... like you, Ronnie...
08-27-02 11:38 PM
gypsymofo60 I don't care what anybody says! I think Keith's entitled to have a go at Mick, and vice versa if Mick so chooses; which by the way he has stated before, "I don't want to get into an argument with Keith via the media"....A word from the wise methinks! Still having said that, I still think everybody is entitled to an opinion. If it bothers people to read critical posts, avoid doing so! Or just ignore them. Keith has been lucky in respect that he, and his peers really don't have to worry about the repurcussions of speaking one's mind, in the adolescent world of "The Rock God" one never really has to grow up, therefore nobody need really give a fuck so to speak......"Life's a bitch! And so am I!"
08-28-02 12:23 AM
sammy davis jr. What I Know About Keith:
1. For a brief period in late 1999 and 2000, he took to
wearing fishing lures in his hair.
2. In the early 1970's, his front teeth were rotting out.
3. In 1972 he had a cool "skunk stripe" in his hair- very
cool- I wanted one too but my mom wouldn't let me.
4. His old girlfriend, Marianne Faithfull has enormous
knockers.
5. He mainly drinks vodka now.
6. He still smokes ciggies and weed.
7. He is a freak of nature.
8. He's still married to that hottie Pattie Hanson.
9. He is "Mr. Rock and Roll".
10. He will still be here when we're all dead and gone.

08-28-02 12:39 AM
Sir Stonesalot Marianne did indeed have great knockers....but she was Mick's gal. Keith was with Anita, who also had great tits.
08-28-02 01:28 AM
gypsy WORD!
08-28-02 01:55 AM
gypsymofo60 Or two words.........maybe!
08-28-02 03:47 AM
Child of the Moon What Keith should know about me:

I still love the bastard.
Page: 1 2

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road