ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

Shepherds Bush Empire, London - December 11, 2001
By Richard Young

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: October Issue Of Guitar World Return to archive Page: 1 2
08-22-02 02:39 AM
no_cole_porter Hey Guys,
Today Was A Fantastic Surprise. A Mate Of Mine Got The October Issue Of Guitar World In The Mail Today And Keith Is On The Cover Looking Absolutely Fantastic. He's Got A 1970's Blonde Telecaster With A White Pickguard On Featuring An 11 Page Interview With The Human Riff Himself. Also Included Is A Pull Out Poster Of Keith And The Tablature Of Brown Sugar And Honky Tonk Women. I Can't Wait To Buy My Own Copy...LOL
08-22-02 02:55 AM
Martha Thanks for the heads up NCP.
08-22-02 08:17 AM
FPM C10 I got it, too, and it's really cool. Keith talks candidly about Brian, Mick, and Mick Taylor, provides us with lots more great quotes, and - most importantly - is referred to on the cover as "The King of Rock & Roll". Which he most certainly IS.

Elvis WHO?
08-22-02 08:46 AM
winter I got the October issue last night. It's pretty awesome. Some great shots of Keith. However, Keith does criticize Mick's solo efforts, Dog shit in the Doorway and his electric guitar playing (even on Sway). I know this is pretty typical, I just hope it's in good spirits and that they are actually getting along.

Once again, Keith does not rule out having Mick Taylor of Bill Wyman join them at select dates.

winter
08-22-02 04:36 PM
sammy davis jr. What's up Keith's ass?....I don't hear Mick saying Main Offender was a piece of crap- but it was. Dissing Mick's playing on Sway? Fuck, that's probably one of the top five Stones guitar songs. And it's usually Keith who's hitting clams four or five times a night when he launches into one of his hybrid Chuck Berry licks. It's like if he wasn't involved in it, it sucks. I don't think his negativity is very cool- and the tour hasn't even started yet. Makes me think this WILL be the last time. By
08-22-02 05:45 PM
Moonisup Sway is one of the most underestimated Stonessongs ever!!!!!
It's a beauty, I rate it higher then JJF. Nice solo of Mick T on it. Well let's hope for the best!!
08-23-02 10:30 PM
Soul Survivor Keef may say things about MJ's guitar playing, but the man is not a guitar player.

And it is true, Mick never says anything bad about "Main Offender". "Wandering Spirit" is my favorite solo album by any of the members.......and it shows Mick doesn't always need Keith.

So, Keith sould just kindly stop. I know he aint all serious, but c'mon......it almost makes it look like he's (gasp) jealous
08-23-02 10:50 PM
Stonesmillenium2001 I got my copy already!
08-24-02 09:43 AM
Mathijs Mick did comment of both Talk is Cheap and Main Offender. He said Talk is Cheap really rocked, but he thought it was a bit old-school, and that it wouldn't work for the Stones, since in his opinion "we've been there, done that". Main Offender he considered an album with nice ideas, but it wasn't finished. It was too much loose jams, and he added "but that's Keith".

Mathijs
08-24-02 09:51 AM
Maxlugar Keith is slowly losing it, folks.
08-24-02 10:00 AM
Moonisup It fucks me up, that I can't find an issue here in Holland, could anyone tell me about what the story is in this issue?? You'd help a lot
08-24-02 10:21 AM
Nellcote Maxy;

Having finished about 1/2 of the article, not certain how you can make this observation. Having followed the boys consistantly since 70, I find that the interview is quite lucid for an individual who has been thru such mind
altering circumstances such as Keith. He still shows a great amount of detail for past items, does discuss in good detail events, tunings, etc. Sure, none of us remain as we were, however, I think he's speaking clearer now than during the pharmacy days of the 70's

08-24-02 11:22 AM
winter A quote from the article:

"Richards indicates that a sizeable box set of Rolling Stones rarities and outtakes is in the works, but it's still down the road apiece."

Wicked Pissah,

Wintah
08-24-02 09:26 PM
lucasd4 I've been getting sick of Keith's mouth for a long time now...he should be more diplomatic when discussing Mick's solo stuff...he says that nobody cares about Mick's work outside of the Stones, but more people care about Jagger's solo stuff than Keith's...just how many copies of MAIN OFFENDER, LIVE AT THE HOLLYWOOD PALLADIUM and that Wingless Angels album did the public scoop up?? GODDESS sold more copies in the U.S. alone that every Keith solo album combined--with the exception of TALK IS CHEAP...also, in the article, he says that "Undercover of the Night" definitely won't be on FORTY LICKS, but it is on there...he also says there were a couple of great things on DIRTY WORK, but nothing from that album made it
08-24-02 09:37 PM
lucasd4
quote:
winter wrote:
I got the October issue last night. It's pretty awesome. Some great shots of Keith. However, Keith does criticize Mick's solo efforts, Dog shit in the Doorway and his electric guitar playing (even on Sway). I know this is pretty typical, I just hope it's in good spirits and that they are actually getting along.

Once again, Keith does not rule out having Mick Taylor of Bill Wyman join them at select dates.

winter

Calling Mick's album "Dog Shit in the Doorway" is NOT in good spirits in any way...it's mean spirited...it's Keith running his mouth again--thinking that it makes him look cool to all the KEEF RIFFHARD fans out there...the ones that think every word he says is divine...he accomplishes nothing positive with these stupid, mean spritied comments...it's all counterproductive to the Stones
08-25-02 03:20 AM
2120SMA I think Dog Shit in the door way is the perfect way to sum up Mick's solo work! Oh how the mighty have fallen!
08-25-02 05:51 AM
Mathijs >Calling Mick's album "Dog Shit in the Doorway" is NOT in >good spirits in any way...it's mean spirited...it's Keith >running his mouth again--thinking that it makes him look >cool to all the KEEF RIFFHARD fans out there...the ones >that think every word he says is divine...he accomplishes >nothing positive with these stupid, mean spritied >comments...it's all counterproductive to the Stones

It proves Keith is an honest man, who doesn't want to lie just because he's scared he might hurt somebody. Goddes is a dispicable piece of crap -and that's the only way to describe it without lying.

Mathijs
08-25-02 09:40 AM
Double A
quote:
Martha wrote:
Thanks for the heads up NCP.

Hi M,
This is my firts time here on this MB
Normal I'm on the list from Ulf. You wrote there and
mensioned this site. Thanks for that.
"
I'm from Holland and live in a smale village
married and two boys 16 and 18 years old

see you on a MB

double A
08-25-02 10:53 AM
lucasd4
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
proves Keith is an honest man, who doesn't want to lie just because he's scared he might hurt somebody. Goddes is a dispicable piece of crap -and that's the only way to describe it without lying.

Mathijs

That doesn't PROVE that Keith is an honest man...none of us know him well enough to know how honest he is....those comments don't PROVE that he's an insensitive asshole either, but they show that he's capable of being crude and insensitive...just like the "I'll slit his throat if he tours without the Stones" stuff...he wasn't too honest about that, now was he??
08-25-02 11:14 AM
nankerphelge Who said we can't be insensitive? Is that a new rule? Everyone be nice now -- no pissing in each others' Cornflakes!! Give me a break. If Winter wants to call it Dog Shit in the Doorway, he is entitled to! (Even though I personally would never insult a fine piece of dog shit that way).

And where does anyone come off thinking Keith should suddenly be Mr. Nice Guy!! What are you thinking?!
08-25-02 12:21 PM
Martha Hi M,
This is my firts time here on this MB
Normal I'm on the list from Ulf. You wrote there and
mensioned this site. Thanks for that.
"
I'm from Holland and live in a smale village
married and two boys 16 and 18 years old

see you on a MB

double A
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Double A...WELCOME to Rocks Off!

I'm not the same Martha that wrote on the Ulf site...but glad you are here. Maybe it was Martha My Dear they write here too and we've been mixed up for one another before.

Yeah, Keef does say whatever he wants...and that is Keef.

Sometimes I laugh at his comments, and sometimes I cringe. I wouldn't want to be the one to say such things about my partner/friend because saying caustic things about them would be hurtful and I wouldn't feel good about myself if I chose to do that.

....whether it is "true" or not is not relevant.

I was taught ...(while growing up) that "if I didn't have something nice to say about someone then to not say anything at all". I try to stick with that rule of politeness.

Got GW a couple of days ago, great photos!!

..again thanks for the heads up!

Martha..(the other one)
08-25-02 12:49 PM
Sir Stonesalot You know, friends don't have to be diplomatic and nice to each other. That's the great part about being friends. If I'm fucking up, I hope one of me pals likes me enough to tell me about it.

Keef knows Mick can handle anything Keef says about him. And anyhow, since when is being critical the same as being insensitive?

Mick KNOWS Goddess blew big chunks. How could he NOT know? Dogshit In The Doorway! LOL! I wish I'd thought of that.
08-25-02 04:51 PM
lucasd4
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
You know, friends don't have to be diplomatic and nice to each other. That's the great part about being friends. If I'm fucking up, I hope one of me pals likes me enough to tell me about it.

Keef knows Mick can handle anything Keef says about him. And anyhow, since when is being critical the same as being insensitive?

Mick KNOWS Goddess blew big chunks. How could he NOT know? Dogshit In The Doorway! LOL! I wish I'd thought of that.

There's a difference between being critical and being mean....saying outrageous things just to sound "cool" for all your fans. Keith could express his dislike for Mick's solo stuff without resorting to his "Dog Shit in the Doorway" style of commenting...he just does that because he thinks it makes him sound cool...like he's the big badass KEEF RIFFHARD...don't give me that he's just being honest bullshit....if Keith feels like he has to say things like that about Mick, he could do it in private--eye to eye...he doesn't have to run his mouth to some interviewer...Keith's tongue is more vicious than his guitar playing anymore...his mouth is a lot more consistent too...he's become a big talking poser, IMO...he goofs around on stage...flailing his arms...kicking his legs....hitting the strings periodically...leaving big gaps in the guitar sound and letting the keyboards and horns do all the playing...Jagger works a hundred times harder on stage than Keith does anymore
08-25-02 05:54 PM
nankerphelge No question Keith's playing is not what it used to be -- some of it can't be helped I suspect being damn near 60 years old. Some of it can -- I agree he should pay more attention to them strings and less to the camera.

As for his statements about Mick, yeah it's unfortunate that he airs his laundry publicly -- I also agree that it creates dissonance in the band -- its pretty much been that way since the mid-80s, though. And while I don't know the man, I bet getting Keith Richards to change his ways ain't gonna happen. The man is entitled to his opinion and he is entitled to his mode of expressing it, whether we like it or not.

08-25-02 06:45 PM
Sir Stonesalot lucasd4....

Just how do you know that Keef HASN'T said this stuff to Mick's face? I mean, why wouldn't he? He knows it's gonna get printed, and Mick's gonna see it anyhow.

Do you know ANYTHING about Keith?

He's been talking shit since he started giving interviews. Why in God's name would he stop now? Not only that, but he's been talking shit about Mick for forever. It's all part of their very odd, yet tight relationship. I think Keith keeps Mick grounded...reminds him of just exactly WHERE his bread is buttered. AND, by Keith ragging on Mick's guitar playing...he's actually giving him backhanded encouragement. If you read between the lines, Keith is actually saying, "If Mick would quit dicking around, he could be a really good player."

Anyhow, I think it's pretty funny that people think that they know what Keith should be saying and doing.

Walk in his shoes for an hour, and if you are still living after that hour, then tell us what he should or shouldn't be saying.
08-25-02 08:24 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox I don't think Keith's comments about Mick are that big of a deal. Keith has repeatedly said in the past that Mick is a very good rhythm player (the linear notes to "Jump Back" come to mind).

Also, Keith mentions a "plaster cast of Robert Plant's cock" so in my book, it is a great interview.
08-25-02 08:32 PM
lucasd4
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
lucasd4....

Just how do you know that Keef HASN'T said this stuff to Mick's face? I mean, why wouldn't he? He knows it's gonna get printed, and Mick's gonna see it anyhow.

Do you know ANYTHING about Keith?

He's been talking shit since he started giving interviews. Why in God's name would he stop now? Not only that, but he's been talking shit about Mick for forever. It's all part of their very odd, yet tight relationship. I think Keith keeps Mick grounded...reminds him of just exactly WHERE his bread is buttered. AND, by Keith ragging on Mick's guitar playing...he's actually giving him backhanded encouragement. If you read between the lines, Keith is actually saying, "If Mick would quit dicking around, he could be a really good player."

Anyhow, I think it's pretty funny that people think that they know what Keith should be saying and doing.

Walk in his shoes for an hour, and if you are still living after that hour, then tell us what he should or shouldn't be saying.

I don't know what Keith has said to Mick in person...if he has said this stuff to him in person, then that's where it should stay, IMO...I have a feeling that Keith talks a lot tougher to the media than he does to Mick in person...he spouts off like a tough guy to the press, but he seems to compromise a lot in private...an example would be his saying that "Undercover of the Night" would definitely NOT be on FORTY LICKS, but it DID make the cut...he implies that a couple from DIRTY WORK will make it, but they nothing did...as for me knowing ANYTHING about Keith...I've probably forgotten more about Keith than you'll ever know and I still know ten times more than you do
08-25-02 09:25 PM
Maxlugar Just before Granny started to lose it, she got nasty. Couldn't say a damn thing nice about anyone.

Keith's going coo coo for coco puffs.

How long before he starts sticking his car keys in sticks of butter and trying to dive it to the liquor store?

Developing.......
08-26-02 03:56 AM
Mathijs Moonisup: the October issue of Guitar World will be available in all AKO shops in The Netherlands early next week.

Mathijs
08-26-02 04:15 AM
Moonisup Dankje very much
Page: 1 2

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road