ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Promoting Stone Alone - 1991
Someone

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: HENDRIX , ALLMAN , KING Ranked as Top Guitarists Return to archive
08-25-03 05:52 PM
Joey Hendrix, Allman, King Ranked as Top Guitarists

" LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Late rock musicians Jimi Hendrix (news) and Duane Allman (news) lead the list of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time in the upcoming issue of Rolling Stone magazine.

Hendrix, who invariably tops such polls, received a glowing tribute from Who guitarist Pete Townshend (news), who wrote that he "made the electric guitar beautiful."

Townshend recalled that one of Hendrix's shows was "so profoundly powerful" that he found himself holding hands with fellow devotee and guitarist Eric Clapton (news).

Allman was hailed by the magazine for transforming "the poetry of jamming" with the Allman Brothers Band, the Atlanta rock group he founded with younger brother Gregg in 1969.

B.B. King, who turns 78 next month, came in at No. 3. "His string-bending and vibrato made his famous guitar, Lucille, weep like a woman," the magazine said.

Clapton landed at No. 4, followed by Delta bluesman Robert Johnson. Rounding out the top 10 were Chuck Berry (news), Stevie Ray Vaughan, Ry Cooder (news), Jimmy Page (news) and Keith Richards (news).

The survey is featured in the next issue, which hits streets on Friday.

The No. 100 spot went to Kim Thayil of defunct Seattle rock band Soundgarden. Townshend himself was No. 50. Two women made the list: Joni Mitchell (news) at No. 72 and Joan Jett (news) at No. 87.

Stax session guitarist Steve Cropper, who was judged the No. 2 guitarist in a Mojo magazine survey in 1996, was good enough for only No. 36 in Rolling Stone's estimation. Two spots behind him was Fleetwood Mac's Peter Green (news), who had been No. 3 on the Mojo list. "

08-25-03 07:14 PM
Jaxx i hate these rankings. i'd be curious to see where 9 fingered jerry garcia or genius pete townsend falls on this list. how about jeff beck, u2's The Edge, jorma kaukaunan, carlos santana, joe satriani, al dimeola and trey.

once again they are comparing lead guitar players to rhythm guitar players. this is my pet peeve. you don't compare jimi hendrix to keith richards. its like comparing apples to oranges. however, i'd still be curious to see how bogus list shakes out.
08-25-03 09:06 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Pete comes in at 50.

This list has lost all credibility.

Anybody seen our boys Ronnie and Taylor? Not on the list? No, I didn't think so.

-tSYX --- I'm twenty miles outta town...
[Edited by TheSavageYoungXyzzy]
08-25-03 10:14 PM
FPM C10 This list started out nicely enough, nice to see Duane so high on the list, but when they mentioned that there are only TWO women on the list, and they're Joni Mitchell and Joan Jett ... !!!! Joni's a great songwriter with a nice touch on the guitar, and Joanie plays a mean barre chord, but COME ON! No Bonnie Riatt, No Susan Tedeschi, no Debbie Davis, no MEMPHIS MINNIE! For fucks sake!

Oh wait...it's in ROLLING STONE? I saw a picture of Christina Aguilera holding a guitar in there once. It's a wonder SHE didn't make the list.
08-26-03 02:09 AM
Cant Catch Me Since this article says just top “guitarists,” not top “rock guitarists,” I wonder how rock predecessors such as Django Reinhardt, Charlie Christian or Andres Segovia will fare? Or how non-rockers like Les Paul, Chet Atkins, Doc Watson, Merle Travis, etc., will do?

In rock, I’d like to see my favorite underdogs Roy Buchanan and Danny Gatton get some deserved recognition, along with Mick Taylor (of course!), Jorma Kaukonen, Richard Thompson, Scotty Moore, Link Wray, Robert Fripp, Jeff Beck, Mick Ronson, Warren Haynes, James Burton, Albert Lee and a bunch of others.

And B.B. King’s getting awfully lonely in the blues category, and a little bit tired too. I’d like to see Albert King and Freddie King, plus Albert Collins and Robert Cray, up there with B.B. at the top of the list, or even on the very top for once.

And those are just the ones I’m really crazy about. If they need extra room on the list for some new names, they ought to drop Clapton and Page since they’ve been on enough damn lists already and, as far as I can tell, still ain’t got no soul.
08-26-03 07:22 AM
Factory Girl Did J. Page & J.Winter make the list?
08-26-03 07:36 AM
Maxlugar WHAT?????

Jeff Beck not in the top five?????

OH SWEET MERCIFUL LORD OF THE DANCE!!!

The list is instantly worthless.

Jeff's new album, "Jeff" is a milestone of HEAVY riffing and pounding drums. Blues, Jazz, Heavy Metal and middle eastern sounds abound. He can make that guitar do things that I make your jaw drop.

I listened to it all the way through for the third time last night and I'm left awestruck. If you are looking for something new and very different, buy it. Jeff Beck's last three albums are showing the way. Very different from the Stones but cool. It's hard imagine he is from the same era.

Also, No Mick Taylor? Pete Townsend at 50?

As far as women go, no Jennifer Batan?

MACKY!

[Edited by Maxlugar]
08-26-03 07:47 AM
Factory Girl Can someone post this list please?? TIA!
08-26-03 10:02 AM
Zeeta I prefer this list as compiled by Guitarist magazine!
12 Keef
13 The Petey!
a great definitive list IMO - not a Macca is sight, although "the Edge" makes it?!

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Jeff Beck
3. B.B. King
4. Jimmy Page
5. Allan Holdsworth
6. Eddie Van Halen
7. Pat Metheny
8. Eric Clapton
9. Chuck Berry
10. T-Bone Walker
11. Stevie Ray Vaughan
12. Keith Richards
13. Pete Townshend
14. Robert Johnson
15. Charlie Christian
16. Peter Green
17. Steve Cropper
18. Richard Thompson
19. Steve Vai
20. Tony Iommi
21. Neil Young
22. Buddy Guy
23. Jimmy Nolan
24. George Harrison
25. Randy Rhoads
26. Robert Fripp
27. Les Paul
28. Wes Montgomery
29. Johnny Ramone
30. Prince
31. John McLaughlin
32. Elmore James
33. Frank Zappa
34. Freddie King
35. Jerry Garcia
36. Duane Allman
37. Thurston Moore
38. Syd Barrett
39. Nile Rodgers
40. Roger Mcguinn
41. Kurt Cobain
42. Clarence White
43. John Fahey
44. Billy Gibbons
45. Joe Satriani
46. Carlos Santana
47. Michael Hedges
48. The Edge
49. Tal Farlow
50. David Gilmore
51. Eddie Lang
52. Andy Summers
53. Jim Hall
54. Ron Asherton
55. Dimebag Darrell
56. Mick Ronson
57. Eddie Jones
58. Curtis Mayfield
59. Ike Turner
60. Loe Kottke
61. Albert King
62. Muddy Waters
63. James Blood Ulmer
64. Merle Travis
65. Joe Pass
66. Ry Cooder
67. Derek Bailey
68. Chet Atkins
69. Dick Dale
70. Charley Patton
71. Johnny Marr
72. Carl Perkins
73. Doc Watson
74. Joni Mitchell
75. J Mascis
76. Yngwie Malmsteen
77. Mark Knopfler
78. Bert Jansch
79. Lowell George
80. Robert Lockwood Jr.
81. Link Wray
82. Angus Young
83. Adrian Legg
84. Nick Drake
85. Bo Diddley
86. Bob Mould
87. Kirk Hammett
88. Adrian Smith
89. Mike Stern
90. Kevin Shields
91. Steve Howe
92. Jorma Kaukonen
93. Eric Johnson
94. Steve Morse
95. Ricky Skaggs
96. Stanley Jordan
97. Jeff Hannerman
98. Vernon Reid
99. Wayne Kramer
100. Ritchie Blackmore
08-26-03 10:06 AM
Zeeta WTF!
"The 100 greatest artists of rock 'n' roll,
determined by today's top music artists, and compiled by music network VH1"
www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_artists.html
Can't really say much about this!! Oh yeah and of course the Beatles were much more Rock n Roll?????!!

Not a bad list bar the obvious error though

1. Beatles
2. Rolling Stones
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. Led Zeppelin
5. Bob Dylan
6. James Brown
7. David Bowie
8. Elvis Presley
9. The Who
10. The Police
11. Stevie Wonder
12. Ray Charles
13. The Beach Boys
14. Marvin Gaye
15. Eric Clapton
16. John Lennon
17. Elton John
18. Prince
19. Pink Floyd
20. The Doors
21. Aretha Franklin
22. Fleetwood Mac
23. The Eagles
24. Bob Marley
25. Van Morrison
26. Chuck Berry
27. Bruce Springsteen
28. Sly & The Family Stone
29. U2
30. Neil Young
31. The Clash
32. Joni Mitchell
33. Queen
34. Buddy Holly
35. Otis Redding
36. Little Richard
37. Al Green
38. Elvis Costello
39. Miles Davis
40. Michael Jackson
41. Janis Joplin
42. Nirvana
43. Tom Petty & Heartbreakers
44. The Jackson Five
45. Crosby, Stills & Nash
46. The Sex Pistols
47. Creedence Clearwater Revival
48. Van Halen
49. Roy Orbison
50. R.E.M.
51. B. B. King
52. Cream
53. Peter Gabriel
54. Grateful Dead
55. The Byrds
56. The Kinks
57. Steely Dan
58. Sam Cooke
59. Bo Diddley
60. Earth, Wind & Fire
61. Smokey Robinson
62. Paul McCartney
63. Sting
64. Frank Zappa
65. James Taylor
66. Talking Heads
67. Kiss
68. The Allman Brothers
69. The Pretenders
70. Stevie Ray Vaughan
71. Rod Stewart
72. Simon & Garfunkel
73. Muddy Waters
74. The Velvet Underground
75. Curtis Mayfield
76. The Bee Gees
77. John Coltrane
78. Billy Joel
79. Aerosmith
80. Tina Turner
81. The Band
82. Devo
83. Iggy Pop
84. T. Rex
85. Carole King
86. Madonna
87. Santana
88. The Ramones
89. Johnny Cash
90. Tom Waits
91. Gladys Knight & The Pips
92. The Temptations
93. The Four Tops
94. Diana Ross & Supremes
95. Robert Johnson
96. Lynyrd Skynyrd
97. Fats Domino
98. Traffic
99. Parliament / Funkadelic
100. Paul Simon

Lists are bull shit anyway but just thought I would share!
08-26-03 10:31 AM
Joey " I hate these rankings. i'd be curious to see where 9 fingered jerry garcia or genius pete townsend falls on this list. how about jeff beck, u2's The Edge, jorma kaukaunan, carlos santana, joe satriani, al dimeola and trey. "

You are much loved by the Joesee !

JERSEE !
08-26-03 03:26 PM
Jaxx yeah, FPM. thanks. i forgot to mention my favorite ladies of the guitar and indeed they are raitte and tedeschi.

thanks for posting that bogus list, zeeta. i laughed and heartily. i mean we all have our favorites as well as our opinions. it was interesting to see where they fell on this compilation. considering the source imo, the list becomes more of a joke.

right back atcha, joey.
08-26-03 03:41 PM
Joey "
1. Beatles
2. Rolling Stones
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. Led Zeppelin
5. Bob Dylan
6. James Brown
7. David Bowie
8. Elvis Presley
9. The Who
10. The Police "

I have no problem with this list .

I have no problem eating corn on the cob .

I have no problem with the Stones extending their tour of Europe into October .

I have no Soundboard of the Aragon Show .

I have to E- Mail my Baby Steelie right away .

JERCEE !

08-26-03 06:26 PM
Cant Catch Me The obvious error, Zeeta, being that Elvis Presley is not #1 on that list, with the only slightly less grievious error being the Beatles being listed above the Stones?
08-26-03 07:02 PM
The Hand of Fate You have to break*it*down, folks. Best rock guitarists; rhythm and lead. Best blues guitarists, best country guitarists, best jazz guitarists. Now, sometimes one artist can spill onto one list from the other because he/she transcends their style, ie. for blues; B.B. King, SRV, Johnny Winter, Robert Johnson but not more lesser-knowns to the whole rock circle of greatness such as Freddie King, Lightnin' Hopkins, Howlin' Wolf. Let me mull over the top 15 leads and top 10 rhythm players.
Lead, rock (heavy metal, that's for another subject):
1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Stevie Ray Vaughn-damnit, people will argue this but his skill; no matter how overboard he went with soloing, is in no doubt whatsoever.
3. B.B. King
4. Eric Clapton
5. Chuck Berry
6. Johnny Winter
7. Eddie Van Halen
8. Duane Allman
9. Jeff Beck
10. Eric Clapton
11. Mark Knopfler
12. Jimmy Page
13. Mick Taylor
14. Carlos Santana
15. Albert King
Rhythm (can be lead guitarists in their group, but good at playing rhythmic music):
1. Keith Richards
2. Pete Townshend
3. The Edge
4. Ron Wood
5. James Hetfield of Metallica (not pure metal)
6. Steve Cropper
7. Andy Summers
8. Alex Lifeson
9. Elvis Costello
10. Buddy Holly
I don't know enough about other subjects. I can throw out names for country like James Burton, Chet Atkins, Glen Campbell and jazz guys like Pat Matheny, John Schofield, Django Reinhardt, John McLaughlin, Larry Carlton and John Petrucci (?). And there's tons of blues guitarists, so it's tough to organize a list.