ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Promoting Stone Alone - 1991
Someone

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Angie in Dutch newspaper (scan and translation included) :D Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
08-24-03 07:27 PM
Angiegirl Here's the scan (picture taken at Vredenburg on show day August 16th late in the afternoon; from left to right: Everaldo, Angie, Erwin; we all know each other from the Dutch mailinglist Dirty Work and from shows of the Dutch tribute band Flip the Switch):

And here's the translation (home made, lol):

Stones fans can't find enough superlatives in Utrecht
'felt like I was dreaming'

Utrecht, Tuesday
For the obdurate Stones-lovers, who are nothing but focused on the shows of their heroes in our country, the most special concert took place. In Utrecht's Music Center Vredenburg, accessable for only 2000 fans, the rockers put on such a fantastic show that it will undoubtedly be included into history books as one of the best concerts ever.

For the fans who managed to get a ticket it must have felt like a private show inside the rehearsal studios of the famous rockers themselves. After the show 3 of of these lucky Stones fans to the backbone agree with one another unconditionally: this was incredible!
"During the last tours I got somewhat disappointed sometimes, escpecially with large-scale stadium shows", says wood-agent Erwin Hoetjes (40). "The Stones often appeared to be uninspired and they tend to attrect audiences who don't even possess a Stones CD. Shows have
become family trips, happenings. But what happened last Saturday night was simply amazing! I was even glad that Jagger made a mistake in Brown Sugar, because they played so perfectly it made me feel like I was dreaming."

Also Everaldo Pechler (32), in daily life the owner of cafe Tabac in Amsterdam, couldn't believe his ears in Utrecht. "For the real fans such a small show is the greatest thing. Absolutely cool. Especially since you hear songs that the Stones had never or hardly played live before. That's How Strong My Love Is by Otis Redding was the absolute highlight for me; Jagger sang that song so passionately it made me have tears in my eyes."

For all the fans, and that's logical, the debate about the Stones quiting or not is simply: bullshit. Pechler: "Take blues or jazz musicians for instance, they just continue performing, right. When the Stones were in their 30s, they were already considered too old to continue. And now take a look at U2 or Madonna, they have been past that age for a long time. When they embark on a world tour, nobody is moaning about that. The Stones will set a new standard: as long as you can still play decently and as long as there's an audience for it, you should continue doing what you did."

Infallible
Still, Hoetjes is the first to acknowledge the Stones aren't infallible. "I've been to a similar show in Paris a month ago, and I was really disappointed then. Guitarist Ron Wood really had an off-day and I wouldn't have been surprised if they had announced they would be quiting after that. But after last weekend in Vredenburg I'm sure of it: these guys will continue till one of them drops dead. Everything was right! I know of people who paid 1200 euros for a ticket on the black market and I can assure you that it has been worth every penny. It was super."

Only 4 other times during this large-scale tour of 111 concerts they did such a small show (hey, forgive that reporter, ). Our country is a special place for the Stones, because nowhere else in the world the fans are that passionate like they are in Holland (hey, forgive him one more time, lol)....

Angelique 'Angie' van der Heide (28) (that's me , 29 in 7 days) can only assent to that. "The Dutch crowds are super-enthusiastic, there's a wonderful atmosphere and Jagger loves that and also reacts to that. They obviously enjoy these club shows themselves, everyone can see that. They talk to each other, they are laughing, giving one another pats on the back. That's very cool, because often enough they've been on a stage together with an attitude like they don't even know each other. And were they playing on auto-pilot in stadiums, in Vredenburg they were more alert, gave it their best and it sounded very tight."
Also the web designer realizes that it's gonna be over some time. "I wonder", Angelique says, "because Jagger is that good, but the guitarists so unreliable, if they will tour again in a few years...It's obvious that they are exhausted most nights after 13 or 14 songs. Maybe it would be better if they never toured again. That way we will keep Vredenburg as our most valuable memory."

----------------------
Ok, so I never said that last sentence (I said I would prefer a clubs-with-some-arenas-tour instead of stadiums, or nothing at all), but it makes a nice ending of the article, and there are many days I do think that they'd be better of not touring again.

BTW: DirtyWork is our Dutch mailinglist and a lot of the 200 members have these passes to be able to indentify each other on meetings or concerts. Erwin also made 4 of these passes with the names of the 4 Stones on them, he bundled them on 1 keychain and Erwin managed to throw them on stage in Vredenburg at the end of the encore. Ronnie picked them up, looked at all of them, he walked to Keith to show him, they were surprised, laughed and looked at the audience asking. Ronnie put them around his neck and kept them on during the final bows. Loads of Dirty Workers were inside the club, so we could hear all of them cheering and yelling once they all saw what Ronnie had around his neck, which was great!! Our plan worked, fantastic. But the list is in Dutch, so they won't be able to read it, lol.

[Edited by Angiegirl]
08-24-03 07:40 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Angie!!!! You look sexier than Jerry Hall in her best days in that photo...

Please check your PM
08-24-03 08:12 PM
Angiegirl Well thanx Gerardo, lol! But don't exaggerate now...
08-24-03 09:51 PM
StonesChick Angie,

I can't believe you were quoted saying the Stones shouldn't tour anymore. That's a terrible thing to say. They'll play many more great shows, in clubs too. Were you lacking sleep or something.
08-24-03 10:01 PM
Angiegirl Maybe you didn't read all of it, as I said the following beneath the translation:
"Ok, so I never said that last sentence (I said I would prefer a clubs-with-some-arenas-tour instead of stadiums, or nothing at all), but it makes a nice ending of the article, and there are many days I do think that they'd be better of not touring again."

So, no more stadiums, just clubs wwith some arenas. That's what I'd love, but what's probably not profitable enough for the Stones, as the clubs cost them money. They would probably ask enormous amounts for a ticket on such a tour. But regardless of reality, that's what would be perfect in my opinion, it's just what I would like.

But, sometimes I indeed have doubt about them, like after the not so good Amsterdam show last week. Then I start to think that they should stop after this. When I've seen another great arena or club show, i start hoping for the club tour again. That's how it works for me.

So I wasn't lacking sleep (actually I was, but not to the extend that it effected my thinking, lol), I just expressed my opinion, though not as black and white as you stated it...

[Edited by Angiegirl]
08-24-03 10:30 PM
parmeda Angie, I'm clappin'!!!
Thanks for sharing the article...
(and don't worry about that last sentence, lol...you were caught up in the moment, right?)

Don't be surprised if 'ol Maxy gets ahold of you for one of those Dirty Work 'passes'. I caught that in the photo immediately, and I'm glad you clarified what it was.

08-24-03 10:45 PM
StonesChick I didn't read the whole story. I would like clubs only, but I would definitely take a stadium over nothing. I still think that was harsh to say about them, but that's my opinion.
08-25-03 12:00 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
StonesChick wrote:
I still think that was harsh to say about them, but that's my opinion.

Harsh eh? Well....
Anyway, you may think so of course.
08-25-03 12:16 AM
Boomy Why is it a harsh thing to say?
08-25-03 04:00 AM
gypsy I agree with Voodoo--Angie, Jerry ain't got nothin' on you...you are a real natural beauty with gorgeous hair, skin, and perfect white teeth. Thanks for sharing the article.
08-25-03 06:57 AM
Mathijs Why shouldn't Angie say she sometimes thinks quitting is better? I absolutely think they should quit! For example, at the Ahoy show, the first 45 minutes were enjoyable, but then you could notice they do get older: the energy was gone and they couldn't concentrate anymore. Second, Keith is an absolute shadow of himself, by times I really think he is suffering from Korsakov. If you listen to the boot of the Ahoy show, you don't need musicians ears to hear that it just isn't that good...If Woody plays, he plays out of tune, Richards isn't hardly playing anymore and if he plays it's not good. Jagger is good, Charlie is good, but it has turned into a Chuck Leavell fest just too much. And, a mojor piont for me: all songs are played with half-speed. If you compare Honky Tonky now with, say, the At The Max version, they play it half-time now!

I truly enjoyed the Vreenburg and Olympia shows, I will enjoy the Astoria show, I "liked" the Ahoy show, I hated the Kuip show. For me, it's enough. Astoria will be my last ever Stones show, except for a future club show. It just isn't good anymore. They're not "my band" anymore.

Mathijs
08-25-03 09:33 AM
StonesChick I love going to Stone's concerts. I would hate for them to quit. There's lots of bands I don't consider to be talented and should quit, but I don't think they should quit just because I don't want to see them. The Stones love what they do and obviously many people love seeing them live. The Stones aren't making you go to their concerts. If you want that club show to be your memory, don't go to anymore shows, but don't ruin it for everyone else. I don't like stadiums or arenas either, but I saw several of them this tour and they were all EXCELLENT. I would have been extremely disappointed if they played the way you are saying they did, but they've always had some really on and really off nights.

I'm just glad to have them and I'll make the most of whatever venue they play.

I hope they continue touring until they reach 100!

08-25-03 11:10 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
StonesChick wrote:
If you want that club show to be your memory, don't go to anymore shows, but don't ruin it for everyone else.

RUIN IT FOR YOU? How sad is that??? You may say you love all shows, but people like Mathijs and me (and there are a lot more people who think so) are not allowed to say we think many shows aren't up to standards anymore for us? Get real. O man, you really got me going now. I decided not to react to these stereotypes anymore, but...

Is it so hard for you to be respectful Stoneschick? To respect everyone's opinion? Why immediately judge people who get disappointed sometimes and say so (even in a reasonable way, with explanations etc)? Jeez, you're even new here. Get used to it, Rocks Off is a board where one can express their own opinion. If you can't handle that, go away please.

Getting sick of it. Judging. I'm not judging you for liking everything am I? Don't tell me or Mathijs or whoever what to do please. I live in a free country, you don't obviously. The fact that we say we loved many shows gets no attention as usual. Then you hear nobody. But when you conclude you think they're not as good anymore we are 'harsh'. Sigh, I'm really getting angry here. Must stop now, as neither you nor the subject is worth it.
08-25-03 11:23 AM
jb It's O.K. to criticise here on our board...but to publish this in a newspaper is somewhat disturbing.
08-25-03 11:27 AM
Angiegirl Read on Jb, read on
08-25-03 11:33 AM
Mathijs >It's O.K. to criticise here on our board...but to publish >tis in a newspaper is somewhat disturbing.

why? If it's the truth, it is the truth. Why is one not allowed to say that to a newspaper? I know Americans aren't always capable of dealing with bad news, but this is a bit rediculous isn't it? And for gods sake, the Stones have been touring for 40 years. THEY ARE GETTING OLDER!! LIVE WITH IT! Of all the shows I have seen it was clear that the stones (incl. Jagger) have sufficient energy to focus and concentrate for an hour. Especially Keith: he needs 20 minutes to get in, than plays quite o.k. for 40 minutes, and than it's over. He then starts making mistakes you wouldn't believe. But is this a bad thing? No, it isn't. This guy has partied more than I ever will. He is drinking heavilly for the last 20 years -the years are counting now. Same for Woody.

Mathijs
08-25-03 11:37 AM
jb Let me clarify...I agree with both of you..they are a shell of their former self....very poor playing at times and as you point out mathjis, the songs are in slow motion. However, it's sort of like picking on your kid brother...it's o.k. if you do it, but if someone else should, you come quickly to his defense. This board is like an extended Stones family-we pick on them and are very hard on them(justifiably so)...but to allow the outside world to know of their decline is probably not well advised.
08-25-03 11:49 AM
Boomy How much will tickets cost for the next tour, JB?
08-25-03 11:51 AM
jb THERE WILL BE NO FUTURE TOUR.....
08-25-03 11:53 AM
Joey " I agree with Voodoo--Angie, Jerry ain't got nothin' on you...you are a real natural beauty with gorgeous hair, skin, and perfect white teeth.................."

Easy Girl !
08-25-03 11:57 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
jb wrote:
but to allow the outside world to know of their decline is probably not well advised.

The outside world already knows Josh. Take your head out of the sand. And as I said, read on, you obviously didn't read all of it...
08-25-03 12:00 PM
Boomy I was wondering if I had to save a lot.
08-25-03 12:02 PM
Joey " I know Americans aren't always capable of dealing with bad news, but this is a bit rediculous isn't it? "

Tell me about it .....................

As I travel across this great nation of ours , I sometimes see establishments with the signage " Saigon Restaurant " or " Saigon Cuisine " .

I stop in front of them , get out of my car , scratch out the " Saigon " bit and then scribble " Ho Chi Minh City " .

To this day , I have YET to be arrested .

SKEE !
08-25-03 12:04 PM
Angiegirl Joey. Let's hope the FBI doesn't read RO then...
08-25-03 12:07 PM
Joey " Joey. Let's hope the FBI doesn't read RO then... "

Damn Straight My Princess .....................

Come to Joey .

J. Fly !

08-25-03 12:34 PM
KeepRigidsLawyer My dear Miss van der Heide,
Such libel as I have witnessed presented here today can only be intended to defame your character. I am therefore extending my representation to you in full. If the oppression does not desist, please feel free to get hold of me at your convenience.

Yours,
KRsL
08-25-03 12:36 PM
Boomy I just have one question: Where in the hell is Keep? P. Diddy's mug hasn't been around for some time.
08-25-03 01:25 PM
jb Youv'e never seen the Stones live MB? Where are you from?
08-25-03 01:30 PM
Madafaka I have to say a very important thing: Angie, you're beautiful... Do you want to marry me? LOL!
08-25-03 01:41 PM
Nellcote Bravo Angiegirl! You represent true fans quite elegantly.
I thought club dates were in order after '94
Although, it's tough to beat being front & center @ the B Stage.
Page: 1 2 3 4