ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Promoting Stone Alone - 1991
Someone

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: VL vs. BTB Return to archive
08-22-03 11:43 PM
Egbert Maybe its the weather taking me back to last year's Abkco Remaster buying frenzy - feeling the urge for some more Stones stuff. Have as a rule never purchased any post-Tattou You Stones material, but am now sizing up either Voodoo Lounge or Bridges To Babylon. Which would ya'll recommend? Or would Undercover or Steel Wheels be a safer bet? Will leave out Dirty Work since that one has been extensively debated of late. Thanks.
08-23-03 12:05 AM
full moon Bridges To baylon is great....... Actually, So Is Voodoo Lounge.. Don't listen to the all the negaive attitudes towards these albums. They are far better than you think......
08-23-03 12:26 AM
beer get Voodoo Lounge. great album. get it on vinyl if you can.
Bridges does have some good stuff on it. but it also has some crap. same with Steeel Wheels.

or better yet, just get all three, then record all the great songs from them onto one tape, leaving the crap songs off. ya know, seperate the wheat from the chaff, like they did in the bible.
08-23-03 12:36 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
beer wrote:
get Voodoo Lounge. great album. get it on vinyl if you can.
Bridges does have some good stuff on it. but it also has some crap. same with Steeel Wheels.

or better yet, just get all three, then record all the great songs from them onto one tape, leaving the crap songs off. ya know, seperate the wheat from the chaff, like they did in the bible.

Beer, you are my hero. I think I'm gonna do that.

1. Sad Sad Sad
2. You Got Me Rocking
3. The Worst
4. Mixed Emotions
5. Love Is Strong
6. Flip The Switch
7. Always Suffering
8. I Go Wild
9. You Don't Have To Mean It
10. Gunface
11. Slipping Away
12. Mean Disposition
13. Baby Break It Down
14. Thru And Thru
15. Hold On To Your Hat
16. Too Tight
17. How Can I Stop
18. Highwire

Mmm. I like it. I just don't think there's enough room on one CD for it.

-tSYX --- Well uh-huh... you don't have to meaaan it...
08-23-03 12:50 AM
beer indeed, TSYX, that would make a great compilation. Too Tight is cool, so is Highwire, but where is "almost hear you sigh"?

either way, the best songs off of those 3 albums would make an incredible mix.
08-23-03 01:36 AM
Jaxx thats a good compilation. my least favorite of the group is Voodoo Lounge. try as i might, i can't get into it. i'm a sucker for "undercover". i think its a way underrated CD. there's raging guitar on that one. i enjoy steel wheels as much as b2b, however, both have tunes i flip past. after all is said and done, seventies stones are my favorite period.
08-23-03 02:00 AM
beer OK, how bout "Suckin In The 70's"?

a friend bought that record for me and it is the goddamn weirdest Stones comp of all time. Not bad though, just a strange choice of tracks.
08-23-03 08:46 AM
nankerphelge Sucking (like 40 Licks) cuts many of the tunes.
I hate that.

I think VL is better than B2B for the more classic Stones sound -- but B2B does have its moments.

Have to agree with Jaxxy that Undercover is a great and underappreciated release.
08-23-03 01:54 PM
quackenbush Voodoo Lounge is a good album; it could have been great if they would have cut a few of the songs:

1. Love is Strong
2. Brand New Car
3. Baby Break It Down
4. Sweethearts Together
5. Suck on the Jugular

Instead of going on the album, they could have been used as b-sides.
08-24-03 12:33 AM
beer since Steel Wheels is part of this subject, I have a question: was that tour as bad as the "Live At The Max" video? Holy shit, that video is bad. It is painful for me to even watch. I almost hate that video as much as i hate Dirty Work.
08-24-03 01:59 AM
Soldatti Voodoo kicks ass!!
08-24-03 04:36 AM
Egbert Thanks for the input - ended up with B2B (on a whim) and I gotta say its not bad - somewhat processed sounding but not bad. Listened to IORR and B2B this afternoon and have to admit B2B held its own (wouldn't even consider matching it up against anything pre-Goats Head). But now for the real test - after a few drinks...
08-24-03 12:19 PM
Egbert The test results are in and the score reads...inconclusive: passed out sometime during "Already Over Me" and next thing I heard was "If You Really Want To Be My Friend". Oh well, will try again next weekend!
08-25-03 03:10 PM
jb Vodoo Longue is by far their best album since Tatoo You. They sounded like a real band again and not some studio invented techno-crap like most of B2B.
08-25-03 04:39 PM
sandrew I think Bridges is the superior album. As contentious as the recording seems to have been, I love the schizophrenia that resulted. And "How Can I Stop" is quite possibly the best thing Keith Richards has ever done.
08-25-03 06:02 PM
Jaxx
quote:
Egbert wrote:
passed out someetime during "Already Over Me" and next thing I heard was "If You Really Want To Be My Friend".

ouch. you fell asleep to and woke up to the sappiest tunes on each CD. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
08-25-03 09:09 PM
wkoetke Nice List! I have to say, are there any other closet fans out there of MEAN DISPOSITION?!

I think this is an underrated jam. Nothing particularly innovative to be sure, but damn that track just plain rocks (actually, the version on Voodoo Brew rocks even more with its extended solo at the end, but that's a different topic).

If one were to buy only one post-Tattoo You album (assuming they meant they already owned Tattoo You, b/c otherwise that would be the one!), it's a tough call between Voodoo Lounge and B2B. I think Voodoo is the winner, though I usually get depressed thinking that it should have been so much better had they left the production alone (several threads have already discussed this). Overall Voodoo probably wins overall, but B2B sure has some individual gems (including the underrated MAWGJuiced).

quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:

Beer, you are my hero. I think I'm gonna do that.

1. Sad Sad Sad
2. You Got Me Rocking
3. The Worst
4. Mixed Emotions
5. Love Is Strong
6. Flip The Switch
7. Always Suffering
8. I Go Wild
9. You Don't Have To Mean It
10. Gunface
11. Slipping Away
12. Mean Disposition
13. Baby Break It Down
14. Thru And Thru
15. Hold On To Your Hat
16. Too Tight
17. How Can I Stop
18. Highwire

Mmm. I like it. I just don't think there's enough room on one CD for it.

-tSYX --- Well uh-huh... you don't have to meaaan it...

08-25-03 09:12 PM
wkoetke I'm a sucker for Undercover too, but the SONG, not the album. I love the title track, She Was Hot, then...well...things just don't stack up after that. I appreciate the dark, bloody "feel" of the album, but I never have a jonesin for the other tracks on the album like I do occasionally for Love Is Strong, Flip The Swtich, or hell, even One Hit!

My brother's #1 favorate Stones tune EVER is, in fact, Undercover. I wouldn't quite go that far, but it's certainly up there in the top 30. Gotta get my bro to join this list, come to think of it.

See ya
Walt

quote:
Jaxx wrote:
thats a good compilation. my least favorite of the group is Voodoo Lounge. try as i might, i can't get into it. i'm a sucker for "undercover". i think its a way underrated CD. there's raging guitar on that one. i enjoy steel wheels as much as b2b, however, both have tunes i flip past. after all is said and done, seventies stones are my favorite period.

08-26-03 12:35 PM
Poplar
Someone said it on this board once before, and they are absolutly right: Love Is Stong is the best song the Stones have recorded since Start Me Up.

some other favs on those albums come to mind:

Sparks Will Fly
I Go Wild
Moon is Up
New Faces
You Got Me Rocking
-or as Mick sings live: Jew Got Me Rocking
---
Lowdown (great production on the guitars - loud!)
Too Tight (vintage Keith chopping in open G
Thief in the Night (more great production)
(Babylon just "sounds" good on the ears)
---
Continental Drift!
08-26-03 01:45 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
beer wrote:
get Voodoo Lounge. great album. get it on vinyl if you can.

Why on vinyl Beer? Just curious -- I actually hate the way this LP is sequenced. Only three songs on side one - drives me nuts, esp. since "Mean Disposition" would actually shore up side one better than it ends the album.

I prefer Bridges by a lot - although I think it could be edited a little better. At ten songs that record would be something like a masterpiece on the level with their late 70s records.

Rolling Stones albums = 10 songs. Except for Exile. Which is special.

Hope someone is taking notes.
08-26-03 04:14 PM
T&A To reflect and comment on a couple of remarks made on the thread.

1) Love is Strong is not in the same league as SMU. Weak bridge ruins the song. Starts out like a legit contender for classic Stones single, but doesn't finish...

2)VL's only real weakness is what it could have been after listening to the unfinished tracks on Brew/Stew. The Stones, as usual, took the safe route. Some great ideas were emerging during this rare period of studio creativity for the boys (best since Paris 77). They had the elements in place for a great, exotic and triumphant album. Instead we get a very good album with no real surprises.

3) Putting a compilation of VL, B2B, SW together doesn't work sonically, because SW sounds like it was recorded in a tin cannister by comparison to the broad, sweeping production values of its successors.
08-26-03 05:10 PM
twicks1 Bridges all the way...