ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Promoting Stone Alone - 1991
Someone

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Warren Zevon Special to air on VH-1 Sunday 8/24 (NSC) Return to archive
08-20-03 10:38 AM
Martha Here's the link for info and air times:

Link: http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/inside_out/68383/episode.jhtml
08-20-03 10:48 AM
mac_daddy Martha - thanks for the tip on the documentary!

you all should buy his album that came out yesterday, too...

unfortunately when people think of socal singer-songwriters, they think of the Eagles (who couldn't suck more)...

who you really should be thinking of is zevon, tom waits and Gram Parsons..!

zevon is a treasure, and apparently he has been bedridden (with terminal cancer) since January. I hope his album outsells all his others while he is alive - Lord knows he deserves the satisfaction.

"Carmelita, hold me tighter - I think I'm sinking down...."
08-20-03 10:51 AM
jb Is he still alive?
08-20-03 10:56 AM
Martha
quote:
jb wrote:
Is he still alive?

Absolutely he is. Letterman, who is a good friend to Warren, (did you see the show dedicated to Warren several months back?) announced just a couple of weeks ago that Warren became a Grandfather.

Warren is far outliving his however many months the Doc's gave him when he was first diagnosed.

We are blessed by his presence and his talent beyond measure.

"May the good Lord shine the light on you."
08-20-03 11:07 AM
jb I know he has terminal cancer(I believe a brain tumor which spread to his lungs?). Unfortunately, with all our advancement in medicine, we have not progressed very far as far as cancer is concerned. Ultimately 3 out of 4 people will die of cancer or heart disease. I find cancer even worse b/c there is no hope and it is a slow, agonizing death. Unfortunately, the moral leaders of our country won't even allow proper pain medication to be administred to those dying and or the right to die on ones on terms...Thus, millions suffer horrible pain and prolonged illness and family devastation(emotionally and financially) and people like Jack Kervokian sit in jail...what a fucked up country we have...
[Edited by jb]
08-20-03 11:21 AM
Lazy Bones I heard Warren's rendition of Knockin' On Heaven's Door on the radio last night. Very nice. Rather emotional!

Macdaddy, I didn't realize it came out yesterday. His website boasts a 26 August release date. US only, possibly?
08-20-03 11:38 AM
mac_daddy there was a big article in the la times on sunday about him and the new record. I could have sworn it said the album hit shelves this week. I was gonna pick it up today (didnt get there yesterday)...
08-20-03 01:47 PM
Larry Dallas Is the new record out this week or next week? I've seen both dates at various places. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks
08-20-03 03:04 PM
Gazza Warren Zevon is one of the greatest and wittiest songwriters of the last 25 years

Despite all the superstar friends who have played on his records over the years, its criminal that the vast majority of people are unaware of him or that their knowledge is limited to "werewolves of London". Anyone who doesnt own a few of his albums is really missing something

its kinda tragic that since he's been ill,he's got more press than he ever did before. He'll only be truly appreciated when he's no longer with us.
08-20-03 03:47 PM
jb What is his religion? Is he a citizen of England?
08-20-03 03:54 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

Ailing Zevon's album brings artists together in
emotional tribute

By Geoff Boucher
Los Angeles Times
Originally published August 19, 2003

Warren Zevon is dying, and he wants to make a record."

It was a jolting and macabre message to be sure, and that only propelled
it faster through the wiring of famous friends, managers, agents and labels
that links rock musicians to one another.

The ones who know Zevon best probably allowed themselves a sad
smile. This was exactly the sort of thing you would expect from the
singer-songwriter, whose grim and funny music always seemed like a
margarita stand in a mausoleum - sure, the songs all seemed to say, have
some fun, just don't forget where this big party is going to end.

So when the call went out, many answered: Bruce Springsteen, Jackson
Browne, Don Henley, Tom Petty, Emmylou Harris, Ry Cooder and many
others, some contributing from afar, others coming to see the stricken
Zevon, who had gone public with the diagnosis of his terminal cancer.

Zevon is beloved by many of his fellow artists (for his talent, to be sure,
but also in equal measure for his uncompromising career path and wry
charm) and the result of their collective efforts, The Wind, is due Aug. 26
and has the feel of a tribute done while it still matters -- when the honoree
is still here.

The context of the album's recording, as well as the presence of VH1
cameras for a documentary, makes it a strange hybrid between a tribute
album and an Irish wake (although a mellow wake, especially considering
Zevon was known in the 1970s and part of the 1980s for hellacious
excesses).

For Browne, the project was "a task, an enjoyable task that you stepped
into in hopes of, for a minute, finding some joy and dealing with grief."
Browne and Zevon have been close friends for decades, and Browne
produced the 1976 album Warren Zevon, which put its title troubadour
on the music map.

Since then, Browne has marveled at Zevon's songbook (with
"Accidentally Like a Martyr," "Lawyers, Guns & Money," "Excitable
Boy" and "Carmelita" among the most potent songs). "It's such a difficult
place he is in," Browne said, "and he is approaching it as best he can in his
trademark style of honesty and artistic courage."

Zevon has been bedridden since January. The album was assembled late
last year, much of the work done in Zevon's home studio. "He had a
choice how to proceed with his life at this point," says Danny Goldberg,
chief of Artemis Records, Zevon's label. "It speaks of him as an artist that
he wanted to make art."

Standing closest to Zevon on The Wind is Jorge Calderon, his longtime
friend and collaborator. He produced the album, played or sang on all 11
tracks, co-wrote seven of them, and often laid down dummy lead vocals
on songs when Zevon was too ill to show up. For him, Springsteen's visit
was especially memorable.

"I've never heard Bruce play like that in my life," Calderon said. "What he
brought emotionally into the room, the way he handled himself and gave of
himself - well, to me he is a national treasure." Calderon laughed and
added that Zevon, after Springsteen played, shook his head and said, "So
you are him."

Zevon has made a habit of deflating the melodrama with his one-liners.
Another example: After Zevon heard one of his true idols, Bob Dylan,
sprinkle his Los Angeles concerts with Zevon songs, the dying man
cracked a smile. "Maybe this is worth it," he told Calderon.

Zevon included a Dylan song on The Wind, much to the initial dismay of
Calderon, who didn't object to the songwriter but to the song. "Knockin'
on Heaven's Door" was hardly screaming out for reinterpretation, and he
worried that it might be a bit clumsy in the emotional setting of the
moment. "But I was wrong. When I heard him sing it, well, I knew I was
wrong. His vocal takes it to a place I was not expecting."

The most compelling piece on The Wind is the final track, "Keep Me in
Your Heart," a Dylan-esque song that bids farewell with lines such as
"Shadows are falling and I'm running out of breath/ Keep me in your heart
for a while" and "I'm tied to you like the buttons on your blouse/ Keep me
in your heart for a while."

Drummer Jim Keltner said he was overwhelmed with emotion as he
played the final version. The song had to be assembled in layers, and
Zevon, too ill to visit the studio, wasn't there the day the track was
finished. "To be playing that song, to know the words and not have him
there to sing it, well, it really hit me," Keltner said. "I was playing through
tears."

Calderon remembered: "I kept thinking in helping with the songwriting that
I had to put myself in the place of my dying friend."

With Zevon himself too ill for interviews, some of the artists involved
agreed to speak to promote the cause of the album.

"It's hard to know what to say with something like this," said a hushed
Billy Bob Thornton. The actor and singer sang backup on "Knockin' on
Heaven's Door" and another track. "Of all the things I've done in my
professional life, all the things I will do, being part of this will be one of the
things I know I'll remember the most."

08-20-03 04:05 PM
jb lAZY bONES, IS HE A cANADIAN JEW?
08-20-03 04:44 PM
Gazza >What is his religion? Is he a citizen of England?

hes a nice Jewish boy like your good self Joshie, only from California, although actually born in the Windy City
08-20-03 04:55 PM
Stonesdoug When in London, check out Lee Ho Fooks. It's on the main street in Soho and has a nice tribute to Warren in the front window. Unfortunately, you can't get a bowl of Beef Chow Mein
08-20-03 05:21 PM
FPM C10 Joey, I know you think I look like Walter Becker - but I think I look a lot more like Warren. If I could grow a decent beard, that could be a picture of me.

Maybe I think that because of the whole list of people I look like, Warren is by far the coolest.
08-20-03 05:26 PM
Joey " Joey, I know you think I look like Walter Becker - but I think I look a lot more like Warren. If I could grow a decent beard, that could be a picture of me. "

You know my Central PA living , Deer hunting Brother , you DO look a lot like Warren .

Screw the Becker jive , " Slang Me " with the Zevon .

" Drop Me Off in Groovetime Ronnie "

Spanky !
08-20-03 09:12 PM
Lazy Bones Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Ailing Zevon gives lesson on exiting
By DAVID BAUDER
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Terminally ill with cancer, Warren Zevon told producer Jorge Calderon that he wanted to record Bob Dylan's "Knockin' on Heaven's Door."

Calderon groaned. Anything but that, please. He still can't listen to it without tears.

Dylan's tale of a doomed gunslinger reaches a new emotional level coming from the voice of a man who's really dying. The choice also -- let's be frank -- reflects the 56-year-old singer's well-known twisted sense of humor.

Given a death sentence by doctors, Zevon hasn't retreated. He wrote and recorded a final album at a furious pace and opened his life to VH1 cameras for an intimate diary. The VH1 special premieres 10 p.m. EDT Sunday, then "The Wind" CD comes out Tuesday.

And Aug. 28 marks exactly one year since Zevon was told he had inoperable lung cancer and three months to live.

Jordan Zevon, Warren's 34-year-old son, was happy the prognosis proved incorrect and his father was around for the birth of twin grandchildren, but he doesn't hide his disgust at the doctors.

"Human beings have no right to tell other human beings how long they have to live unless they have some kind of firearm in their hands," he said. "Thank God he didn't take it and use it as an excuse to throw everything away and give up."

After initially agreeing to answer some e-mailed questions, Warren Zevon was too sick to complete them, a publicist said.

The musician who's known for "Werewolves of London" and "Excitable Boy" has been spending time with his family and watching a lot of television. Some days he's well enough to talk to friends, some days not.

Zevon set short-term goals to help him through the year -- big ones like seeing his grandchildren or finishing his album and small ones like a particular movie release, those close to him say.

A week before his diagnosis, Zevon had called Calderon and said he wanted to make another disc. The two men have been best friends since their first meeting in 1972, when a mutual friend asked Calderon for a ride to bail Zevon out of the drunk tank.

"The question was, 'Do you still want to do that or do you want to go to Mexico and lie on a beach and forget about all that,"' Calderon said. "He was going through that in his mind, what to do with such a shocking piece of news. Who knows how to handle that?

"He called back and said, 'I still want to do this."'

Zevon, who titled one best-of compilation "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" and put a picture of a skeleton smoking a pipe on another, talks on VH1 about how he's always been interested in writing about death and dying. Circumstances gave him a perspective few, if any, active artists have shared.

His new music is poignant and emotionally direct. "Keep Me in Your Heart," the first song written after his diagnosis, is the one to address Zevon's condition most directly, beginning the lyric: "Shadows are falling and I'm running out of breath."

After playing on the song, veteran session drummer Jim Keltner told Calderon it was only the second time he'd been moved to tears in a recording session. The first one was on Dylan's original version of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door."

"The album was full of all of those moments," he said.

On "El Amor De Mi Vida," Zevon writes specifically for a former girlfriend, telling her -- as the title says -- that she was the love of his life and he still regrets letting her get away.

Subsequent to recording the song, Zevon managed to get in touch with the woman for the first time in many years, Calderon said. She had moved away, married and was raising a family.

The album's hardly a one-note tearjerker, however. Bruce Springsteen adds biting guitar and vocals to Zevon's cranky look at the world, "Disorder in the House."

"It's the home of the brave and the land of the free," Zevon sings. "Where the less you know the better off you'll be."

Sardonic humor sneaks in, too. "I'm looking for a woman with low self-esteem," he sings, "to lay me out and ease my worried mind, while I'm winding down my dirty life and times."

"We'd write a song and record it the next day and before we could sit around and say, 'this is great,' we were writing the next one," Calderon said. "We didn't have much time to think and analyze and change things around, which gives this album a real honesty and immediacy."

The biggest hurdle was Zevon's flagging energy. "It's not that his voice would go away," Calderon said. "It was like, 'Get him while he's rested and don't work him to hard."'

All sorts of famous friends showed up. Springsteen chartered a plane between concert dates to make a session. Tom Petty, Emmylou Harris, Dwight Yoakam, John Waite and Eagles Don Henley and Timothy B. Schmidt appeared.

One song, "Prison Grove," features guitarists Ry Cooder and David Lindley, with back-up vocals from Springsteen, Jackson Browne, Billy Bob Thornton and T Bone Burnett.

Jordan Zevon, who runs his own music equipment company, believes the creative energy helped lengthen his father's life.

The VH1 cameras record these sessions, as well as several personal moments. At one point, Warren Zevon rails against fans who wrote on a Web site that he was being heroic in not seeking treatment for his cancer: "I think it's a sin to not want to live."
08-23-03 11:03 AM
Lazy Bones For those considering buying the album on Tuesday, here's a 5-star review.

Beautiful Wind
By DARRYL STERDAN
Winnipeg Sun
THE WIND
Warren Zevon
(Artemis/Red)

Death is hardly new songwriting turf for Warren Zevon. As for his point of view on the terrain this time out -- well, that's a whole 'nother story.

Diagnosed last year with inoperable cancer, the dark-hearted troubadour dealt with it like any composer worth his salt: By writing about it. And while Zevon has made his fair share of moving, tragic albums over his 34-year recording career, he has never made one as personal, striking and beautiful as The Wind.

"I'm winding down my dirty life and times," he admits with a characteristic smirk in the stock-taking opening cut, and he's not kidding. Zevon's illness and its effect on his body, soul, mind and life seem to colour nearly all of these 14 songs, from the unsettled roots-rock of Disorder in the House and the emotional alienation of Numb as a Statue to the gnarly, fatalistic blues of Rub me Raw and even the haunting condemned-inmate diary Prison Grove.

Even straight-up love songs like She's Too Good for Me and Please Stay pack a sense of regret and yearning that appears more urgent in the harsh light of Zevon's shortened reality. But for sheer heart-squeezing intensity -- and coal-black wit -- you can't top the dirge-slow cover of Dylan's Knockin' on Heaven's Door, which is pretty much guaranteed to put a tear in your eye by the time Warren hits the first chorus.

The Wind isn't all a downer, though. The man who penned skewed gems like Werewolves of London, Excitable Boy and I'll Sleep When I'm Dead lets his twisted humour out to play now and again, while the relaxed performances of the VIP guest artists -- including Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Dwight Yoakam, Don Henley, Ry Cooder, Jackson Browne, Emmylou Harris, David Lindley -- give the disc a casual, even celebratory feel.

But even if he is ultimately hosting his own wake, Warren remembers to end the party on a heartfelt note: "Keep me in your heart for a while," he humbly requests as the final chord reverberates.

If only we could all go out with such class.
Track Listing

1. Dirty Life & Times
2. Disorder in the House
3. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
4. Numb as a Statue
5. She's Too Good for Me
6. Prison Grove
7. El Amor de mi Vida
8. The Rest of the Night
9. Please Stay
10. Rub Me Raw
11. Keep Me in Your Heart
08-24-03 10:45 PM
mac_daddy well, that was quite moving. if you missed the special, you should catch it on one of its many repeated showings...
08-25-03 12:55 AM
Phog Very moving indeed. Probably the end of vh1, because they'll never top what they showed tonight. Cheers to Warren Zevon!
08-25-03 09:52 AM
jb Yes, it was great....very emotional and amazing how he is handling it. I liked everything except the guest appearence of Don Henley....Springsteen was very cool...I think he is a better guitar player than Keith!!!
08-25-03 01:03 PM
Mother baby
quote:
jb wrote:
I find cancer even worse b/c there is no hope and it is a slow, agonizing death. Unfortunately, the moral leaders of our country won't even allow proper pain medication to be administred to those dying and or the right to die on ones on terms...Thus, millions suffer horrible pain and prolonged illness and family devastation

Unfortunately this would seem to be true. I discovered it myself kind of by accident several years ago. I'm glad you brought it up JB because I don't think that many people are aware of the problem. Well I guess its no real problem unless you're the one in pain inside some "hospital"....doctors orders you know. Well the "baby boomers" are in for a rude awakening. Myself I plan on having my OWN supply....either a crate of opium or a shotgun.....

08-25-03 01:18 PM
jb Yes Motherbaby, it is a real tragedy that millions of people are needlessly suffering and doctors are afraid to presribe sufficient narcotic levels for fear of being criminally prosecuted or sued. We in America have no problem either electricuting or administering lethal injections to put someone to death, yet, our so called moral leaders vehemently oppose "suicide assisted" death and prefer keeping people alive in terrible pain and or vegetative states as it would otherwise offend their notion of gods plan.
08-25-03 01:29 PM
Mother baby Sorry JB, I'm personally against "assisted suicide" but what I don't understand is why the dosage of pain killers is so absurdly low.
08-25-03 01:37 PM
jb Fear of litigation or criminal prosecution ....
08-25-03 07:13 PM
LadyJane Very moving show! And having just lost a family member to lung cancer it really hit home. Warren is a brave man and I salute him for his courage and determination!!

LadyJ.
08-25-03 08:06 PM
mac_daddy
The last time I saw him perform live was at The Strand in Providence, RI. He was doing the solo ("Learning to Flinch") thing - f*cking awesome show...

I sure hope he was smoking a kind green number (and not a butt)...

The VH-1 show seemed to be chronological, and he appeared to get sicker as it went on. As I mentioned above (or somewhere), the LA Times article last week said that he has been bed-ridden since January...

He seemed to have a bit of a hard time with the "Born to Lose", suicide-types that had responded to his approach to all of this, and I hope that he doesn't get too hung up on all that bullsh*t. Those jerk-offs are always gonna have their martyrs...

I hope that Zevon feels proud of his accomplishments and contributions - he has so much to be proud of:

he made it for decades in the music business (living in LA, no less) with his integrity and his soul intact.

he has the respect of his peers, and the ones that count (Billy Bob and Don Henley notwithstanding). And not just those who were invited to perform on the new album - look at how many people have covered his songs over the years...

He has a tremendous body of work that will stand up to the test of time. He and Tom Waits DEFINE the SoCal singer/songwriter genre of the 70s. Those two will always be remembered and revered, while pop stars like the Eagles couldn't be forgotten fast enough...

One of the things people seem to look for in their twilight is some sort of closure - which makes sense, on so many levels. I was happy to see last night that he had found some of that closure: with his family, peers, his life. Hopefully that brings him some peace.