ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Promoting Stone Alone - 1991
Someone

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Why "Dirty Work" is always forgotten? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
08-06-03 09:25 PM
Soldatti I can't believe what is happening with this record. The band doesn't play nothing from the album since 1990. They omitted this album in "Forty Licks" also. The people what look at the album credits see: 1983-1989: ? (Nothing). Ok, almost everyone here thinks what the album is the worst of the Stones, what is from a horrible period in the group, what some songs not are from the Stones ("Too Rude"), what some songs are very very bad ("Back To Zero") and others certains critics.
But:
"Harlem Shuffle" was a Top 5 hit and is a good choice for being played a couple of times, but the band not played the song since Wembley 1990, and is omited in "Forty Licks" also.
"One Hit" is one of the best songs and was a Top 30 hit, and since 1989 not was played never!.
"Had It With You" is the best of the record and easily will put the crowd on fire in the club shows or in the B-stage. Never was played!

Only this 3 songs some time must be played again, they are always jumping this album, and is a shame, in my opinion.
08-06-03 09:27 PM
Mr T had its moments - I've grown to like Harlem Shuffle more recently
08-06-03 09:47 PM
throbby Yes, I like "Had It With You" and "Too Rude".
08-06-03 09:51 PM
souldoggie I love Harlem Shuffle. Always did. And I love the way the Stones do it. The song was a favorite in my neighborhood growing up, and was always being played (badly I'm sure) by the local garage bands. The original had such a cool swing to it.
The Stones lay done such a great groove on this track, and I'm sure it's out there, but name me a cooler hit single from 1986.
Still don't care much for the LP though.
08-06-03 09:53 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy "Harlem Shuffle" - read: "Cheapass cover".

You are right. Both "One Hit" and "Had It With You" are quite good, though I've come to like "Had It With You" far more, if just because it's the real nasty grungy Stones song, kinda like "She Said Yeah" meets "Sweet Virginia". "One Hit" has that eighties sheen over it that dulls the punch somewhat. Too much reverb. Ronnie saved that song with the twelve-string (he has co-writing credit on both it and "Had It With You").

But two songs does not a good album make. At all.

-tSYX --- Slee-eeeeeeeeep...
08-06-03 10:11 PM
BILL PERKS THE RECORD WAS THE SOUNDTRACK TO THE GLORIOUS SUMMER OF 86 ...BOOZIN,FUCKIN AND FIGHTIN....LISTENED TO IT EVERY MORNING IN MY WALKMAN ON MY WAY TO SUMMER SCHOOL.IF YOU WERENT THERE WHEN IT CAME OUT YOU WONT UNDERSTAND THE DEPTH,THE MEANING ,THE GLORY OF DIRTY WORK.
08-06-03 10:15 PM
Nellcote Good album. It sums up the instability of the period.
Many guests, Tom Waits, Patty Scalfia, Bobby Womack, probably more. Only klunker IMO is "Winning Ugly", even the extended version sounds so eighties, "Hold Back" has it's faults. How can that opening of "One Hit" not give you Classic Stones chills? Had It With You, great! Harlem Shuffle, great soul tribute to the orignals, Bob & Ray, maybe not quite the single, however, would it not be a Woody era Stones album without a dance number? Sleep Tonight, yes, has "Almost Hear You Sigh" in it.
Finally, this album is dedicated to the "Sixth Stone", I do not know about you, however, when I hear that empty piano at the end, it represents the end of an era.
Get with the program, Get this album, Get the boots of the period, great versions of Had It, One Hit are out there!
08-06-03 10:45 PM
full moon Dirty Work kicks you in the teeth and says " I will fuck you up and then fuck your sweet ass sweet mama."
08-06-03 11:02 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
"One Hit" is one of the best songs and was a Top 30 hit, and since 1989 not was played never!

They rehearsed it for the Shepherds Bush club show in '99 . But if it doesn't work for them live, then they won't play it.
BTW, I really like One Hit!

[Edited by Angiegirl]
08-07-03 03:03 AM
ianbillen
Dirty Work was Hot, Mean, and at times...Heavy.
Had some decent tunes with one or two good ones.

The thing that makes this album not so rememberable is the song writing and deep feeling of many Stones albums in non-existant because of the fued beggining to boil between Jagger and Richards so the songs are mad and not so creative of deep with feeling.

I TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT IS AND APPRECIATE IT FOR THAT.

Atleast they didn't try to sugar coat it or try and make it something it wasn't. Dirty work some some of the best guitar work ever by the Stones. And the drums are also some of the better of the Stones works. This is often over looked. Fight=Kicks Ass.
One Hit=Kicks ass also
Dirty work= isn't bad either
Had it with you=cool tune
Harlem Shuffle=not bad, not not real good either.
I think everyone makes this album out to be worse than it really is because of the Era in Stones history from which it came from. Also people remember that Jaggers refusal to tour behind in put the icing on the cake for Mick and Keith not talking for a while.
But hey, it may not be the very best Stones album as far as creativity or classic ballad writing goes but atleast it is real.
that's my take on Dirty Work...and by the way,
the album title says it all.
Any input anyone?
Ian
08-07-03 11:59 AM
mac_daddy
quote:

Get with the program, Get this album, Get the boots of the period, great versions of Had It, One Hit are out there!

what titles? could you be a bit more specific as to the collections and their merits. Thanks.
08-07-03 12:21 PM
Nellcote "Mean Lean Hits" is one title which comes to mind
08-07-03 01:22 PM
Gazza this is one Stones album where the outtakes are better than the released product. the only 'problem' being that Keith is on lead vocal on most of them which I guess wouldnt have made much commercial sense for CBS at the start of their new contract. Theres some realy nice songs left over like "Baby youre too much" which would have graced any latter day Stones albums.

I dont think its a good album. Its by no means a bad one, but there just arent enough good songs. "One hit" is a masterpiece, "Sleep tonight" is a gorgeous ballad but theres to much fluff like "back to zero" and "Hold back", the latter of which is as close as the Stones have ever come to releasing a song thats unlistenable. As an album its dripping with attitude but lacking in material (by stones standards anyway)

theres a simple logical reason IMO why its ignored on the tracks election of "40 licks". the lead single from it and therefore the obvious cut to be released on "40 licks" (ie, "Harlem shuffle") is a cover. To leave what was a sizeable hit off a greatest hits album yet include TWO singles from "Voodoo lounge" and "Steel wheels" seems a strange choice until you remmeber how keen Mick & Keith are to get their royalties! With four new songs on disc 2, theres only room for about 16 post-1970 songs on that disc, so theres a few that had to be left off. Because "Shuffle" was the only lead single from an album since 1964 to be a cover, I can only presume thats why it didnt make the cut.

..and if you think the obsession with getting a few more thousand dollars in royalties isnt believeable, then take a look at what was left off disc 1 of "40 licks" -namely "Little Red Rooster". One of the greatest songs the Stones ever recorded, the only blues record ever to top the UK charts and arguably Brian's defining moment as a stone - but its also a cover. Everyone seems to have a "I cant believe they left that one off" complaint about "40 licks" but they couldnt please everyone - but "Rooster" is the one song whose exclusion was inexplicable when one considers how big a hit it was.
08-07-03 01:30 PM
Moonisup
quote:
Gazza wrote:

theres to much fluff like "back to zero"

Don't you call Back to zero FLUFF!!!!!!
It's a masterpiece!!
the lyrics are GREAT, piano also!!!

08-07-03 01:40 PM
jb One Hit was the only song that one can listen to without a sense of embarraassment. (happens to be their best video as well). I think the better 80's album(b/c in reality Tatoo You was all pre 80's stuff) was Undercover.....I also think SteelWheels was overrated as we were so feckin hapy to get anything at that point-honestly, Mixed Emotions is crap -the only song worth listening to on that album is 'Almost Hear you sigh"..........Vodoo Longue, on the other hand, is by far their best work in mordern times.
08-07-03 02:00 PM
Joey " One Hit was the only song that one can listen to without a sense of embarraassment. (happens to be their best video as well). I think the better ...."

I would like to nuzzle you .

Jacky !
08-07-03 02:10 PM
jb You must be busy as of late as you have virtually disappeared-almost Max like.
08-07-03 02:15 PM
mac_daddy "the only 'problem' being that Keith is on lead vocal on most of them which I guess wouldnt have made much commercial sense for CBS at the start of their new contract."

You don't like the Keith Voodoo lounge? that disc is my favorite of the 10 disc bunch! But you are probably correct that it does not have alot of commercial appeal...

_____

"Don't you call Back to zero FLUFF!!!!!!
It's a masterpiece!!
the lyrics are GREAT, piano also!!!"

Is that Chuck L on the keys? are you his lover?

_____

"One Hit was the only song that one can listen to without a sense of embarraassment. (happens to be their best video as well). I think the better 80's album(b/c in reality Tatoo You was all pre 80's stuff) was Undercover.....I also think SteelWheels was overrated as we were so feckin hapy to get anything at that point-honestly, Mixed Emotions is crap -the only song worth listening to on that album is 'Almost Hear you sigh"..........Vodoo Longue, on the other hand, is by far their best work in mordern times."

undercover was another one I kind of skipped. But I couldn't agree more with your take on the Lounge - after Tatoo You, that is unquestionably their finest studio release...
08-07-03 02:19 PM
Gazza >You don't like the Keith Voodoo lounge - that disc is my favorite of the 10 disc bunch! But you are probably correct that it does not have alot of commercial appeal...

oh I dont mean it like that. i love listenin' to it, although obviously you have to take it into account its not MEANT to be heard and its just demos etc. I'm just saying what I said from a record company's point of view. The stones probably had about 25 songs or so cut for "Dirty work" but both the band and the record label would have been aware that half an album with keith on lead vocals wouldnt have been commercially viable (same with BTB - most of the leftovers are songs featuring Keith on vocals) Most of the songs on DW are written by Keith & Ronnie - Mick didnt bring in much new material as he'd used most of what he had for "Shes the boss" which he was about to release and promote as the DW sessions kicked off.
08-07-03 02:30 PM
T&A Correction on the "Bob & Ray" reference - the original Harlem Shuffle was done by "Bob & Earl." A great tune, covered many times, including a nice one by Pete Townsend.

Back to Zero - fluff? It's not even that good! It sucks.

One Hit always sounded way too "contrived" to these ears...like it was trying too hard to sound relevent/important. It fails on both counts, IMO.

Aside from HS, the only two worthy songs on the disc are the title track, a forgetten little nugget of nastiness and Had it With You...I love the slow-down in the middle - right out of the Midnight Rambler school of blues. Other than that, the album is a real turd. As Gazza says, a couple of decent songs does not a good album make...
08-07-03 03:17 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I dont think its a good album. Its by no means a bad one, but there just arent enough good songs. "One hit" is a masterpiece, "Sleep tonight" is a gorgeous ballad but theres to much fluff like "back to zero" and "Hold back", the latter of which is as close as the Stones have ever come to releasing a song thats unlistenable. As an album its dripping with attitude but lacking in material (by stones standards anyway)

Hold Back ain't fluff -- fluff is like Bunnies and stuff. Hold Back is probably the ugliest song the Rolling Stones ever did!

It may be ugly - but it isn't unlistenable!

I listen to it all the time!

Love it!

Be bold
be bold
be bold
be bold
babay!

p.s.

Is that nasty blues song where Keith sings about "I'd rather see you pull a train" a Dirty Work outtake?

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
08-07-03 03:24 PM
Joey " You must be busy as of late as you have virtually disappeared-almost Max like. "

Nah , just got back from a " Dan Fest " in Englewood .

Where were you ?????

J. Kins !

08-07-03 03:38 PM
jb They are coming to the Sound Advice Amphitheater in West Palm Beach on 9/12..............
08-07-03 03:38 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Joey wrote:

just got back from a " Dan Fest " in Englewood .

Did you throw out your gold teeth?
08-07-03 03:44 PM
Joey " They are coming to the Sound Advice Amphitheater in West Palm Beach on 9/12.............. "

Please see them Essessy and thank me later -- although Donald Fagen is looking a little weary already . He forgot some of the lyrics Monday evening and didn't even TRY for the High Notes -- You know , the way Muhammad Ali didn't even try against Leon Spinks in their first fight . Still , what a great band they are and the encore is stupendous .

Huh ?!?!?!?!

J . Fly Boy !
08-07-03 03:51 PM
caro
quote:
T&A wrote:
One Hit always sounded way too "contrived" to these ears...like it was trying too hard to sound relevent/important. It fails on both counts, IMO.

Yes, that's what I would say about most of the album. "It's got the rock, but I miss the 'roll'"...

One more thing is that I hate Mick's vocals on Dirty Work. He seems to sing with no soul at all, just trying to sound tough.
08-07-03 04:06 PM
T&A Caro:

Agree completely with the Jagger "bravado" vocal comment. It was a gimmick he started using with She's the Boss and it carried over into Dirty Work - he still occasionally lapses into that schtick...I hate it. He has a lot of great vocal "personas" - but this one is my least favorite. It's particularly bad on Winning Ugly, Back to Zero and Hold Back....
08-07-03 04:19 PM
jb I tend to agree with T&A...the vocals are perhaps his worst prior to B2B.
08-07-03 05:43 PM
Boomy I don't know. I kinda like Mick's snarl on those notes. Kinda kicks ya in the balls.
08-07-03 05:55 PM
glencar I can't believe nobody hear mentioned the title track yet. It's one of the down&dirtiest songs they've ever done. It runs circles around any rockers done since then. I'd cream if they did this in one of my future concert viewings.
Page: 1 2 3 4