ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

The O² Arena, London, 26th August 2007
© JumpingKentFlash - Thanks a lot!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Tours all over for Stones Sunday Mirror Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
19th August 2007 05:45 AM
stewed & Keefed http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,785592

Posted by: adotulipson (IP Logged)
Date: August 19, 2007 12:10

After more than 40 years of rocking the Rolling Stones will play their final big tour date next Sunday.
Insiders say there will be no more world tours because Mick Jagger and Keith Richards would be nearly 70 when any new project could begin.
A member of the Stones' inner sanctum revealed : '' We've been told this will be the last tour ''.
Mick 64 ,Keith 63 ,Charlie Watts 66 and Ronnie Wood 60 . end their gruelling, two year Bigger Bang Tour this week with three dates at London's O2 Dome.
The band insider added : ''Mounting a World tour for a band of this size takes years to plan.Mick and Keith would be in their late 60's by the time the machine could start all over again. ''
Mick is producing a movie with director Martin Scorsese and Keith plans to write his autobiography.

I couldn't find the link so I copied it direct from the paper ,page 7 bottom left if you see a copy somewhere on your travels.

Don't know what to make of it myself ,have to wait and see I suppose.
19th August 2007 06:58 AM
Honky Tonk Man Thanks for posting.

It's the not the kind of thing you like to read, but it's more beleivable than ever before. Health, age etc go strongly against them and I personally beleive their time is up. Maybe some shows in the States next year, but for us in the UK and Europe? Nope, the 02 shows will probably be our goodbye to the band.
19th August 2007 08:16 AM
Mr Jurkka I would be so sure.. I mean the stones live for their music they love to do it.

Ok, its obivous that the age is starting to go on them. Im quite sure that they are going to stop on the their 50 years of stones together tour..

It is going to happend its all about keith and mick.
19th August 2007 08:41 AM
mrhipfl I doubt the Stones have any idea whether there'll be future tours or not. The only thing they're worried about now is finishing this one. If in 3 years they're still up to it and healthy enough to do it and they wanna play some more shows, then why not? They'll just have to take it down a level, like get a stage that doesn't take three days to set up and only needs 10 trucks...
19th August 2007 08:41 AM
Steel Wheels It's over when it's ALL over. The Stones will roll and roll. There is no end to music and there certainly is no end to the joy the Stones bring to billions and billions of fans with their talents.

No one ever said BB King or John Lee Hooker would retire before the age of 65 or 70. Music is music and it doesn't depend on age. It's all about heart, and the Stones are in it until the end of the world.
19th August 2007 08:56 AM
corgi37 yeah, thats kinda true, but the Stones have set such a high benchmark for themselves, i doubt they'd want to be sitting on stools playing SMU. Like it or not, Jagger has set his stage routine, so if he's 67 or 70 and cant run down the runways, well then people will say "SEE! He's too old!".

Also, average fans have come to expect the big shows. The extravagence. The "Event" feeling of it all. Playing small clubs, theatres & small-ish arenas (Like the people you mentioned do) means that would be gone. Hey, thats cool for us. Means maybe getting songs like "heart of stone", or "Child of the moon" or something. And that also means ticket prices of about $1,000. It would turn into a Barbra Steisand kinda thing.

I dont know what will happen. What ever will be, will be - i guess.
19th August 2007 09:07 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:

No one ever said BB King or John Lee Hooker would retire before the age of 65 or 70.

As Gazza has often stated. The Stones are a band and not grizzled bluesmen playing clubs. BB King et al strolling onstage every now and then when they feel like it is a little different to what the Stones normally come up with. The Stones are four very different individuals with varying health issues - which are only going to worsen with time.

As I said in my previous post, I wouldn't be surprised if they do some shows in the States next year (many believe this over on the Tell Me board), but I really think their time is soon up.
19th August 2007 09:44 AM
Gazza The Irish edition of the "Daily Mirror" ran a story along similar grounds on Friday, with a heading that the Stones were "hiding a secret bombshell from their Irish fans" - which then turned out to be a report saying they had told organisers that "this would probably be their final Irish concert" (quel surprise!) with a "band official" supposedly commenting "you have to look at it realistically - if they were to tour again it would be in another four years (ignoring the fact that the gaps between the last three world tours have been 2 years, 3 years and then 21 months, respectively....) . He also said "its unlikely Mick will want to be performing hundreds of shows a year when hes nearly 70" (er..its something he hasnt done since he was about 22, actually...).

However, he did comment that while "it's hard to see how they will be back (in Ireland), the band will always do a few select shows until they day they die because they live for music - but those are more likely to be in London and the States. They feel Slane is the pinnacle of anything they could ever want to achieve in Ireland. There's no higher to go after that".

The "Sunday Mirror" story just reads like someone has taken this and distorted it a little. The Stones will keep touring, they just wont do so on as big a scale and in as many places as before.
19th August 2007 10:00 AM
danielharris627 I don't think these o2 shows will be the last UK gigs, I hope!
Even if they don't bring out anything new, I think they'll do atleast a few more gigs...
19th August 2007 10:06 AM
mrhipfl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The Stones will keep touring, they just wont do so on as big a scale and in as many places as before.

Exactly. They're gonna gradually slow down and tone things down a bit. They're not gonna hit the brakes to a screeching stop.
19th August 2007 10:17 AM
gimmekeef Of course the days of grand World tours are likely over.Age is a major factor as well as their health.But they wont ever announce "We're Done"....not their style.Fall 2008 Mini US Tour then...gasssssppppp...Maxi Vegas Run....
19th August 2007 10:18 AM
LadyJane Quite frankly I WANT the big extravaganza to end.
I've enjoyed it and I feel blessed that we have had OUR band longer than any other group of fans have had theirs..

But it's time for change.

First a well needed break.

Then regroup on a SMALLER scale....smaller venues and less warhorses. That is my hope.

I could ask for lower ticket prices, but Jagger will NEVER agree to it.

LJ.
19th August 2007 10:25 AM
Gazza
quote:
danielharris627 wrote:
I don't think these o2 shows will be the last UK gigs, I hope!
Even if they don't bring out anything new, I think they'll do atleast a few more gigs...

I agree with you.
19th August 2007 10:42 AM
egon
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Then regroup on a SMALLER scale....smaller venues and less warhorses.

and in Marseille please...
[Edited by egon]
19th August 2007 11:04 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The Stones will keep touring, they just wont do so on as big a scale and in as many places as before.

....and then there's always Las Vegas.

19th August 2007 12:02 PM
Gazza
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Quite frankly I WANT the big extravaganza to end.
I've enjoyed it and I feel blessed that we have had OUR band longer than any other group of fans have had theirs..
But it's time for change.

agreed

quote:
LadyJane wrote:
First a well needed break.

I dont think they need a long break. Theyve just had six months off. Whilst I certainly dont begrudge them a break until next year, I've read a lot of stuff about them presumably being 'exhausted' after "two years on the road"

Thirty shows since November is hardly gruelling.

quote:
LadyJane wrote:

Then regroup on a SMALLER scale....smaller venues and less warhorses. That is my hope.

I could ask for lower ticket prices, but Jagger will NEVER agree to it.

LJ.

Thats all very true and I'd feel the same. However, if we're talking about more musically interesting shows and more sensible ticket prices, then Jagger's greedy nature and his lack of ambition is an easy target.

The fact is, theyre supposed to be a band and a 'board of directors' when it comes to making business decisions. If we have high ticket prices because Mick Jagger decides - with some input from Cohl or whoever - thats how it has to be, then by definition Keith, Charlie & Ronnie are compliant in this by either a) not outvoting him or b) not caring enough to do something about it.
19th August 2007 01:01 PM
the good
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
No one ever said BB King or John Lee Hooker would retire before the age of 65 or 70. Music is music and it doesn't depend on age. It's all about heart, and the Stones are in it until the end of the world.

Stones shows are about more than music. Mick won't be able to keep up his performances for much longer. I know people said the same thing when he turned forty, fifty, sixty, etc, but there is no way a guy closing in on 70 can keep that act up for much longer.
19th August 2007 01:34 PM
StonesChick
quote:
the good wrote:

Stones shows are about more than music. Mick won't be able to keep up his performances for much longer. I know people said the same thing when he turned forty, fifty, sixty, etc, but there is no way a guy closing in on 70 can keep that act up for much longer.

True, but at the end of the day, it's the music that counts. I personally think Mick is sexiest when he is standing still and singing. I have no problem with him dancing less on stage. I love watching his mannerisms and facial expressions...very sexy!
[Edited by StonesChick]
19th August 2007 02:35 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
the good wrote:

But if their stage would be significantly smaller in the future, it'd be way easier for Jagger to keep up his performance.
19th August 2007 02:42 PM
steel driving hammer They have another 10 or 15 years left, but w/out Charlie, no Stones.
19th August 2007 02:47 PM
StonesChick
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
They have another 10 or 15 years left, but w/out Charlie, no Stones.

Where's Charlie going?
19th August 2007 02:55 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
StonesChick wrote:
Where's Charlie going?

Ah, don't know if he can last another 15 years.

Kind of scary to think the Stones are over actually.

For almost 50 years, this planet has KNOWN The Rolling Stones, and it's soon going no more Stones.

The Earth might not revolve correctly and then we'll go back to the ice age, alot of people might become depressed, who knows.

19th August 2007 02:59 PM
Gazza
quote:

Ah, don't know if he can last another 15 years.

Why? His health is less precarious than Keith or Ronnie's.

Theres no way the Stones will go on that long anyway
19th August 2007 03:05 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Why? His health is less precarious than Keith or Ronnie's.

Theres no way the Stones will go on that long anyway

Charlie's already had Cancer and all.

I think Charlie will be the first to say, I want out, thats all.

But if Charlie stays in, for another 2/3 tours, the whole band will also.
19th August 2007 03:15 PM
Gazza
quote:

Charlie's already had Cancer and all.

Uh. He beat it. Remember? Ronnie and Keith's health problems are probably more an issue in the short term.

quote:
I think Charlie will be the first to say, I want out, thats all.

But if Charlie stays in, for another 2/3 tours, the whole band will also.

Charlie isnt going anywhere. If anything, from what I've been told, his brush with mortality has given him a new outlook on his career, retirement and life in general.
19th August 2007 03:20 PM
mrhipfl was there this much discussion about the subject after the Licks tour?
19th August 2007 03:24 PM
fireontheplatter if my mind serves me correctly...charlie watts was the 1st to show up for the euro rehearsals. i believe that speaks worlds right there...

i wonder myself sometimes, but i try not to rack my brains about it. sure i want to see them at giants stadium 1st row b stage again....but i am sounding redundant now.
19th August 2007 06:26 PM
72Tele I thought this was the end of touring for two reasons. First when I noticed the last shows were in London then 2nd when the Keith book deal was announced I was convinced. The book deal to me is huge. Keith will be so brutally honest be it the real truth or his truth that it may be the steak through the heart so to speak. Besides in many interviews he has been asked why he doesn't write a book and his answer was always the same, "the story isn't over yet". Well its probably over now. I look forward to Keith's non stones related music in the future. And Ronnie and Charlie also to a lesser extent. As for Mick? Without the Stones I have NO interest.
19th August 2007 06:48 PM
Gazza What could Keith seriously say to offend Mick in book form that he hasnt said already?

Jagger must be the thickest-skinned man in show business.
19th August 2007 06:57 PM
MrPleasant It's not over til it's over.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)