ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

The O² Arena, London, 26th August 2007
© JumpingKentFlash - Thanks a lot!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Royals bring the pain at Fenway Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
18th July 2007 10:26 PM
Fiji Joe Royals spank the Red Sox...They took last year's series from them, and now they go into Fenway and make the chowda heads cry...It's too bad they're not in the AL Central...We could use a whipping boy

Royals nation!

19th July 2007 08:51 AM
gimmekeef A Royals Thread?....wow what next...The Nats/Expos?..BTW who is your all time fave Expo?:

Rusty Staub
Coco Laboy
Boots Day
John Boccabella

Voting ends in 3 minutes........
19th July 2007 09:00 AM
Nellcote I can think of many who left...

Pedro Martinez
John Wettland
Vlad Guerrio

What about Vance Law?
19th July 2007 09:06 AM
_Boomy_ Cliff Floyd
Andres Gallaraga
Randy Johnson
Delino DeSheilds
19th July 2007 10:16 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
A Royals Thread?....wow what next...The Nats/Expos?..BTW who is your all time fave Expo?:

Rusty Staub
Coco Laboy
Boots Day
John Boccabella

Voting ends in 3 minutes........

Bill "Spaceman" Lee - a white man's Dock Ellis.
19th July 2007 10:28 AM
Fiji Joe All-time favorite Expo?...Ron LeFlore...as portrayed by LeVar Burton in the ABC TV movie "One in a Million"

From the Jackson State Penitentiary to the Major Leagues...and apparently, back to the pen

Ronald LeFlore (born June 16, 1948, in Detroit, Michigan) is a former Major League Baseball outfielder. He played six seasons with the Detroit Tigers before being traded to the Montreal Expos, retiring as a Chicago White Sox in 1982. He stole 455 bases in his career, and was an American League All-Star selection in 1976. A movie and book were made about his rise to the major leagues after being an inmate at the Jackson State Penitentiary. One in a Million: The Ron LeFlore Story was a made-for-television movie starring LeVar Burton in 1978.

Early life

Leflore was born in Detroit and was involved in the criminal justice system at an early age. In the book Breakout: From Prison to the Big Leagues Leflore relates growing up in a crime ridden section of Detroit. Although his parents were married, his father was an unemployed alcoholic who rarely took part in family life. His mother was a hard working nurses aide that held the family together financially and physically, even feeding Ron while a heroin addict and small-time drug dealer. He credits his mother’s compassion for his survival during this period. At twelve, he began to have sex with local prostitutes and soon after he was introduced to shooting heroin in a neighbourhood 'shooting gallery'. He dropped out of school and spent many nights breaking into the Stroh's Brewery on Gratiot Avenue, stealing beer and getting drunk with friends. After dropping out of school he played no organized sports and rarely followed the Tigers, although he had been to Tiger Stadium, sitting in the upper bleachers with his father, on one occasion as a kid. First arrested at fifteen, he was ultimately sentenced to 5-15 years in state prison at the State Prison of Southern Michigan, usually called Jackson State Penitentiary, for armed robbery.

Prison discovery

Incarcerated, the first organized baseball league LeFlore played in was for inmates. Billy Martin, the legendary New York Yankee player and manager, then manager of the Detroit Tigers, was lured to Michigan State Prison by another inmate who knew Martin. The unorthodox Martin witnessed LeFlore's speed and strength, something that bloomed after LeFlore had given up drugs and drinking inside prison. Incredibly, Martin helped LeFlore get permission for day-parole and a try out at Tiger Stadium. In the summer of 1973, the convict impressed Tigers' management and the team signed him to contract in July, which enabled him to meet the conditions for parole. Martin, the man who gave LeFlore his break, was fired in August of that same year for telling Tiger pitchers to throw at opposing hitters; he was replaced by Joe Schultz. Ralph Houk was LeFlore's manager subsequently. Originally, LeFlore, a twenty-six year old rookie, was assigned to the Tigers' AA affiliate, but by the end of the 1973 season he was playing for the Triple A Evansville Triplets. The following season he made the Major League club and by 1975 was a starting outfielder.

Playing career

Primarily known as base stealer, LeFlore led the American League with 68 in 1978, but in his prime he also hit for average and moderate power, hammering 16 home runs in 1977. He was a big reason, along with Mark "The Bird" Fidrych, that the Tigers attendance rose in 1976 by close to five thousand more per game than the previous year. Yet the team never finished higher than fourth in the American League East standings and in 1979 LeFlore was traded to the Montreal Expos. In 1980 he came closest to encountering play-off action as he stole a career high 97 bases and the Expos ended the season in second place only a game behind the eventual World Series winner Philadelphia Phillies. After playing two seasons for the Chicago White Sox, he retired in 1982.

After playing career

On September 27, 1999, ceremonies celebrating the final game played at Tiger Stadium brought LeFlore back to Michigan after many years of living in Florida. Before the game, he was notified of an open warrant for his arrest on charges of unpaid child support. The police agreed to let LeFlore participate in the on-field activities and then subsequently arrested him.

The case involved back orders of support for his estranged adult daughter and her mother, who was the person that informed police LeFlore was planning to attend the festivities. He was quickly released from custody after agreeing to comply with the court order.

In 2000, LeFlore was hired as the manager of the now-defunct Cook County Cheetahs of the Frontier League. He also worked as a manager and coach in the Midwest and Northeastern leagues.

In the spring of 2003, LeFlore was hired as manager for the Saskatoon Legends franchise in the fledgling Canadian Baseball League, a league that folded midway through their inaugural season.

On May 5, 2007, during an autograph signing, LeFlore was arrested for failure to pay child support.

19th July 2007 10:37 AM
Nellcote Oh yeah, another, Andre Dawson.

Towards the Royals taking the Sox in the series, sure, it happens. We are not deterred. Manny & Ortiz are funkified right now. Can or will the Royals make a charge to win the division, or qualify for the wildcard, with such an impressive record over the last month? Time will tell, however, get back to me in October about how this series mattered in the grand scheme of things. I do know the Royals have a special player in Tony Pena, Jr, who was a hit @ Fenway, where, when his father caught for the Sox for several years a decade ago, he hounded anybody to play catch with as a youth. He's got good skills, which, unless the Royals can pony up the cake in a couple of years for him, he too will be gone along the lines of Beltran & Damon....
19th July 2007 10:40 AM
_Boomy_ Let's talk about:

Mookie Blaylock
Tyrone Bogues (aka Muggsy)
Anfernee Hardaway (circa 1995)
Hakeem Olajuwon
Shawn Kemp (circa 1994)
Chris Mullin
Mark Price
Larry Johnson (circa 1993)
Clyde Drexler (fuckin' awesome)
Charles Barkely (Sixers years)
Rik Smits
John Stockton
Rony Seikaly
"Hot Rod" Williams
Drazen Petrovic (RIP)
19th July 2007 10:41 AM
_Boomy_
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:
Let's talk about:

Mookie Blaylock
Hakeem Olajuwon
Shawn Kemp (circa 1994)
Chris Mullin
Mark Price
Rik Smits
John Stockton
Rony Seikaly
"Hot Rod" Williams
Drazen Petrovic (RIP)

Gotta get a lil' bit of the NBA Love in the Baseball Thread.

19th July 2007 10:55 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Oh yeah, another, Andre Dawson.

Towards the Royals taking the Sox in the series, sure, it happens. We are not deterred. Manny & Ortiz are funkified right now. Can or will the Royals make a charge to win the division, or qualify for the wildcard, with such an impressive record over the last month? Time will tell, however, get back to me in October about how this series mattered in the grand scheme of things. I do know the Royals have a special player in Tony Pena, Jr, who was a hit @ Fenway, where, when his father caught for the Sox for several years a decade ago, he hounded anybody to play catch with as a youth. He's got good skills, which, unless the Royals can pony up the cake in a couple of years for him, he too will be gone along the lines of Beltran & Damon....

Andre The Hawk Dawson....had a cannon of an arm...quite the mid 70's outfield with Dawson/Ellis Valentine/Grissom/Raines et al...Failure to never develop a healthy in house left handed starter cost them several chances to win..imho....
19th July 2007 10:56 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:
Let's talk about:

Mookie Blaylock
Hakeem Olajuwon
Shawn Kemp (circa 1994)
Chris Mullin
Mark Price
Rik Smits
John Stockton
Rony Seikaly
"Hot Rod" Williams
Drazen Petrovic (RIP)

Not bad - 5 white guys on that list, 6 if you count Seikaly (Greco-American). We need a ruling on that.

19th July 2007 12:25 PM
Starbuck
quote:
We need a ruling on that.

the ruling is that basketball sucks.
19th July 2007 12:31 PM
_Boomy_ No it doesn't. I love baseball more than basketball, but get over it, Starnut!

I'll drop a trey in yo' face, keep the hand in the the air whilst I back peddle to the other end of the court to play D and steal that rock from your claws, bitch.

Then you can throw me your best slider, and I'll slam it out of the ballpark.

YEAH!
[Edited by _Boomy_]
19th July 2007 12:39 PM
Starbuck boomie....come on...bring it...i was starting JV in the 10th grade...i was what those in basketball circles call "a power forward with a big ass"....hard to box out, if you get my drift.

NBA players are lazy and overpaid. college and high school hoops are much more exciting.
19th July 2007 12:40 PM
_Boomy_ Well, you are a tall guy. You should've been starting!

I love College B-Ball. I do not, however, like the Indiana Hoosiers. Almost everyone around me does, though.
19th July 2007 01:14 PM
Starbuck interesting...

did you know that todd helton has a career .332 avg? tops among all active players. strangely enough, he's only got 1800 hits thus far...i thought he was older than that!
19th July 2007 01:15 PM
Starbuck boomie...yes, indeed, the hoosiers are gay.
19th July 2007 01:19 PM
_Boomy_
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
interesting...

did you know that todd helton has a career .332 avg? tops among all active players. strangely enough, he's only got 1800 hits thus far...i thought he was older than that!

The guy has a nice swing. No street cred as he plays in Mile High; they haven't done crap since Vinny Castilla was hitting dingers for them.

Factor in the horrible signings of Mike Hampton and Denny Neagle that still linger, and you got a team in shambles.

I believe he will be on a contender in the near future.
19th July 2007 04:50 PM
sirmoonie Denny McLain
Ken Stabler
Ernie Holmes
Mercury Morris

Damn, I miss Jew lists!
19th July 2007 04:52 PM
Joey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Damn, I miss Jew lists!

Barry Bonds just hit Number # 572

I just 'took ' a Number # 2

********** END TRANSMISSION ***************

JJJJJJJJJAZZY !
19th July 2007 05:02 PM
Starbuck
quote:

I just 'took ' a Number # 2

********** END TRANSMISSION ***************

JJJJJJJJJAZZY !

joey, that is a sexy red X!

19th July 2007 05:13 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Joey wrote:

You mean 752, Magoo.

I'm on the fence on this - can't decide if breaking it is a good thing or bad thing.
19th July 2007 05:16 PM
sirmoonie And then he hit 753, you fatuous fucking poltroon!
19th July 2007 05:21 PM
Starbuck anyone who is pro bonds is clearly a communist. or at the very least, a goddamn capon. bonds probably would have been a HOFer anyway, but his blatant disrespect for the game and his coveting of records and such not and all that jazz are despicable.

his record will get a double ** by it. i hope aaron and selig stay the hell away.
19th July 2007 05:27 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
anyone who is pro bonds is clearly a communist. or at the very least, a goddamn capon. bonds probably would have been a HOFer anyway, but his blatant disrespect for the game and his coveting of records and such not and all that jazz are despicable.

his record will get a double ** by it. i hope aaron and selig stay the hell away.

Soeone explain it to me - I thought the roids were legal when he was skin popping? And he no longer uses (I assume). So where is the disrespect, especially when about half the league was using. Seriously, I'm curious, as I don't follow baseball very much at all.

Anyway, its still a boat load of home runs - he'll get 800 by the end.

Hey, did you guys know that Aaron was not a unanimous HOF choice? Whoever voted NO should be fucking chicken biffed with a slop bucket.
19th July 2007 05:29 PM
lotsajizz Bonds cheated and he's an asshole...hence the controversy moonie....
19th July 2007 05:32 PM
sirmoonie I understand the controversy - I'm trying to figure out fish from the frogs.

Why is it said that he cheated, and if he did, how much did he cheat, relatively speaking? And to what effect? Thats what I'm unclear on. And surfing the net for an answer has proven unavailing.
19th July 2007 05:33 PM
Fiji Joe The dude shot horse hormones in his ass...and not just to run faster on Kentucky Derby day either...It's not like he was a marginal player cheating to get a paycheck...from all I've read, his reasons for cheating were purely egotistical and racist...he's a friggin' cod piece
19th July 2007 05:44 PM
Fiji Joe How much did he cheat?...not only did he get much bigger, but he started to suck dick too...that's a whole lot of cheating

19th July 2007 06:05 PM
lotsajizz what Feej said...
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)