ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Don Valley Stadium, Sheffield, 27th August 2006
© Moffitt with thanks to Moy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bob Dylan Tonight Return to archive
24th August 2006 11:22 PM
lotsajizz McCoy Stadium, Pawtucket RI, home of the AAA Red Sox affiliate...maybe 11,000 fans. We got there and parked four blocks away for free on street rather than the over-priced, over-loaded lots. We missed the first two acts, walking in at about 7:00-ish. We saw Junior Brown--Texas boogie, not bad/not great. Jimmy Vaughn came on at 8-ish for a fifty minute set. Nellcote checked in and was manning the rail right in front of the drumset. The set was better than Junior Brown, but he ain't his brother...more groove, less flash. Uncle Bob and his band came on around 9:05

set list

1. Cat's In The Well
2. You Ain't Goin' Nowhere
3. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
4. Just Like A Woman
5. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues
6. Masters Of War
7. Highway 61 Revisited
8. Shelter From The Storm
9. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight
10. Tangled Up In Blue
11. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
12. Summer Days

(encore)
13. Like A Rolling Stone
14. All Along The Watchtower

...as good a show as I've seen Bob put on the dozens of times I've seen him...he is on top of his performing skills right now!! And his band kicks ass...

easy exit...the show ended less than forty-five minutes ago!!!

24th August 2006 11:33 PM
Martha Thanks for the set!

:-)

I've been waiting for it to post.....

Nellcote called me to let me listen in 3 times!

Bob is absolutely on top of his game in every way.....

BTW, he mentioned Keith and wished him well along with playin' the Stones' "Neighbors" on this week's edition of Theme Time Radio Hour. He mentioned all 4 names ( Charely, Mick Ronnie/Woody and Keith....and then added..."and a bass player" when he spoke about them. LOL Impin' it up is what I call that madness!

His Rolling Stone cover shot says it all!

Glad you made the show tonight!

Martha
24th August 2006 11:39 PM
RollingstonesUSA Awesome set! Glad you had a good time!
25th August 2006 07:02 AM
Nellcote Outstanding show.
Front row, center, with the Dylan veteran show attendees..
Elana James & her trio opened, kicked major butt.
Very talented group.
Junior Brown was superb.
This one man wrecking crew of a guitarist was supported by a strong bass player, steamroller drummer (who's daughter & grandson were right next to us at the front)
Junior was the flash, with strong leads, sizzling pedal steel, outstanding rock from Big Red, his dual guitar
Jimmie Vaughan was ok.
Very weak material, average playing.
He needs direction, and a bass player.
Dylan was completely focused.
His voice got stronger as the night went on.
The band he's got with him is a focused unit, not taking their collective eyes off Dylan for one second.
While Dylan seems a bit frail, he is very passionate
about the lyrics, phrasing, song direction.
I've a new-found respect for Dylan.

Summary....
See Dylan at any chance
Junior Brown is a Texas Treasure
Elana James is a spitfire
Jimmie Vaughan dissapointing

Held a slot for you Jizz at the front, I saw the trainwreck it would be to get there, so not surprised we did not hook up...
25th August 2006 07:05 AM
Nellcote The many sides of Dylan on display

01:00 AM EDT on Friday, August 25, 2006

BY RICK MASSIMO
Journal Pop Music Writer

PAWTUCKET -- Bob Dylan's annual summer tour of minor-league ballparks came to McCoy Stadium, and the Hibbing, Minn., kid who wanted to play piano with Bobby Vee was front and center in a set with a mix of classic and recent material.

Dylan, exclusively playing an electronic keyboard that sounded as much like a calliope as anything else, came out of the gate fast with a charging garage-rock "Cat's in the Well" from 1990's Under the Red Sky album, and after a bouncing "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere" pulled out the Bo Diddley-inspired "Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum" from 2001's Love and Theft.

Around the time of the 2004 tour that brought Dylan to the Ryan Center at the University of Rhode Island, much was being made of the way he was restructuring and reinventing his old material. It was true that those renditions were very different from the records, but they weren't very different from each other, particularly in the vocal-melody department.

Last night was another matter, particularly in the midsection of the show that drew 10,031. "Masters of War" was a full-band rendition, with Dylan's bursts of melody an interesting update of the seething whine of the original; "Highway 61" was faster and meaner; "Shelter from the Storm" was slower and more stately. And "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" got a nice dynamic build with the help of the band.

Dylan's voice, more ragged than ever, came out in staccato bursts that seemed, particularly on "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" and "Like a Rolling Stone," designed to throw listeners off the melody and give them the lyrics with no chaser. But when he eased into low, long notes, such as on "Just Like a Woman," there was an extra tenderness that lent an air of ramshackle grandeur.

The regular set ended with a blazing "Summer Days," and on the first song of the encore, "Like a Rolling Stone," the guitars took over the signature organ part, but in general it had a nice autumnal glow, not least (again) because of Dylan's voice.

Where 40 years ago his claim to be a long-haul entertainer was iconoclastic for its ambition; now it's iconoclastic for its modesty. But it might be right on the money. He didn't utter a word the entire show until he introduced his five-piece band before the last song of the encore ("All Along the Watchtower"). He stood spectrally, his thin face glowing above his black suit. But judging from his playing and singing, the traveling-circus, mid-America vibe of the show suited him well. Two years ago, his attempts at stage banter reeked of misery. Last night, he sounded like he was having a blast.

Guitarist Jimmie Vaughan and his band preceded Dylan with a short set of the Texas-Louisiana roadhouse blues that Vaughan has made his name on, both as a solo act and as a member of The Fabulous Thunderbirds. In fact, he did the T-Birds numbers "Extra Jimmies" and Slim Harpo's "Baby, Scratch My Back."

Singer Lou Ann Barton joined Vaughan after several songs, lending her non-nonsense twang to the middle of the set, particularly on "Natural-Born Woman" and "In the Middle of the Night."

Vaughan's vocals sounded eerily like his late brother, Stevie Ray's. And while his guitar playing has never had the same jaw-dropping speed of his brother's, his tone was alternately sweet and stinging. The tempos, however, were uniformly mid- and slower, and the set could have used more of the kick of the closer, "Extra Jimmies."

Stately, black-suited, deep-voiced Junior Brown explored the territory where country and rock first met, throwing in a Spanish-language waltz and a couple of Ventures-style instrumentals for variety's sake.

Elana James and the Continental Two (which, despite their name, consisted of two electric guitars and an upright bass) opened the show with a mix of gypsy jazz and Western swing."

25th August 2006 12:53 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle Ramshackle grandeur is the best description of a Dylan show I've ever read.

Thanks for posting both yours and The Journal's reviews, Nellcote.
25th August 2006 12:56 PM
Saint Sway damn that sounds like a fun night! Junior is insane live!

glad you two got to enjoy it

"whoo wee! ride me high... tomorrow's the day my brides are gonna come... Oh, oh, are we gonna fly... Down in the easy chair!!"
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)