ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Jagger by Mazur
© Kevin Mazur/Wire Image with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RJ or ONNYA should be the opener! Return to archive
August 26th, 2005 10:56 AM
Monkeytonk-man I reckon the boys should come out and start the show with one of the new tracks from Bigger Bang.

Rough Justice or Oh No Not You Again, would be perfect. It's a statement of intent, it shows that they are not sitting on their laurels, have faith in the new material they a releasing and can still be viewed as being contemporary and relevant.

Lots of bands I've seen in the past open with a new album track, rather than a 'classic' so should the stones.

August 26th, 2005 11:40 AM
UGot2Rollme I agree 100%. Have some balls and ditch Start Me Up.
Get up Get out into something NEW!
August 26th, 2005 11:45 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
UGot2Rollme wrote:
I agree 100%. Have some balls and ditch Start Me Up.

and we know Mick got big BALLS according to Keith
August 26th, 2005 11:59 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

and we know Mick got big BALLS according to Keith

So they can do it. I agree too.
August 26th, 2005 12:01 PM
Lazy Bones I respectfully disagree.

As much as I like both songs, they, imo, would not be good openers. Sure, many of us know the songs and have repeatedly listened to them so they sink in. However, the Rolling Stones should always open with a warhorse that everyone knows, everyone sings, and everyone stays on their feet for.

Don't forget, a show's first "hello" or "welcome" usually comes after 2 or 3 songs - perfect timing for a verbal introduction for new material! It's part of marketing the new album(s). Mick wants people to hear what the new songs are called. It sticks better.

A show by the greatest always requires to be opened by a greatest.
August 26th, 2005 12:05 PM
Jumping Jack RJ would make a great arena opener!!!
August 26th, 2005 12:10 PM
J.J.Flash I agree on Rough Justice....PERFECT ROcker... anyway... ONNYA so far proved to sound boring live. Maybe this one would grow on me after the album listening.....
August 26th, 2005 12:15 PM
Gazza
quote:
Monkeytonk-man wrote:
I reckon the boys should come out and start the show with one of the new tracks from Bigger Bang.

Rough Justice or Oh No Not You Again, would be perfect. It's a statement of intent, it shows that they are not sitting on their laurels, have faith in the new material they a releasing and can still be viewed as being contemporary and relevant.

Lots of bands I've seen in the past open with a new album track, rather than a 'classic' so should the stones.

maybe as the tour progresses that may have some merit, but at the moment 99% of the audience wont know those songs as the album isnt out yet and so it would be a pretty 'flat' opener in terms of audience participation and reaction.

I also dont think Mick has quite mastered the right key for singing Rough Justice yet in concert, so maybe its just as well they didnt open with it. Maybe a good choice in the future once he does so and when the audience knows it

ONNYA simply isnt a strong enough track to be considered worthy of an opening song, IMO
August 26th, 2005 12:15 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
UGot2Rollme wrote:
I agree 100%. Have some balls and ditch Start Me Up.

word.

Keith says Mick has a big set of balls. Prove it.

besides... opening w/a new song is an easy trick. Everyones automatically up and into it at the intro. And a rocker like ONNYA will feed the vibe versus killing it later on when old farty stones fans need a rest and decide to bail when they go into new song later in the set... instead then you hit them with SMU. And everyone flips out. It makes for a better show.

New song opener is definately the way to go.

its the BIGGER BANG!!
August 26th, 2005 03:38 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Gazza wrote:

maybe as the tour progresses that may have some merit, but at the moment 99% of the audience wont know those songs as the album isnt out yet and so it would be a pretty 'flat' opener in terms of audience participation and reaction.

An error of reasoning imo. The Stones should decide which songs they choose NOT the audience. If they have confidence the new songs are strong and powerful they must play them. The 'problem' for many years is the Stones are too willing to please the audience. Because 99% of the audience want warhorses they get warhorses. Of course I know it's all about money these days but nevertheless they should consider to play much more smaller clubs and arenas and change their setlist. I wonder if they still enjoy playing Satisfaction for the 4589th time. If they do it is admirable.

August 26th, 2005 03:50 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
I respectfully disagree.

As much as I like both songs, they, imo, would not be good openers. Sure, many of us know the songs and have repeatedly listened to them so they sink in. However, the Rolling Stones should always open with a warhorse that everyone knows, everyone sings, and everyone stays on their feet for.

Don't forget, a show's first "hello" or "welcome" usually comes after 2 or 3 songs - perfect timing for a verbal introduction for new material! It's part of marketing the new album(s). Mick wants people to hear what the new songs are called. It sticks better.

A show by the greatest always requires to be opened by a greatest.

Indeed.

RJ or ONNYA aren't good enough (yet?) to open with imo. But I also vomit because of SMU. They should choose another wellknown song, like Paint It Black, not a warhorse which has been opener so many times before. SMU is such a 'DOH!' opening song, yuck.
August 26th, 2005 03:52 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I'm sure the setlists will change when the CD is out and agree 100% with Lazy Bones but Rough Justice is the PERFECT opener for me now

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)