ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Jagger by Mazur
© Kevin Mazur/Wire Image with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Was Elmore James' Style Too One-Dimensional? Return to archive
August 25th, 2005 11:06 PM
Barney Fife Discuss.
August 25th, 2005 11:24 PM
Zack I always said he was a one trick pony - but what a trick.
August 25th, 2005 11:25 PM
Scottfree Hell no, the dude was vesatile...with a capital versatile....
August 26th, 2005 02:16 AM
Starbuck funny you should bring this up. i was just listening to "the best of the fire sessions" this same evening.

i can see where you are coming from, but i don't think he was. he ups tempo a lot and adds horns in here and there and spices things up too much to be one dimensional. it would be nice if he would venture outside the key of D once or twice (though he does use E on occassion). perhaps he is not one dimensional because everytime i hear one of his songs, i hear something different. tonight i was concentrating on the horns instead of the slide or his most haunting of all voices.

so much there in such a small package.

by far my favorite bluesman. muddy is close, but elmore takes the cake!
August 26th, 2005 02:49 AM
Poplar
I had "sky is crying" before i got ripped off a few years back.
while it WAS great, yes it was also a little repetative.

August 26th, 2005 11:22 AM
jpenn11 Don't know what one dimensional means.

For some, playing many different instruments or many different styles makes a musician multi-dimensional.

For me, being able to communicate soulfully is what makes a musician, whether it is in one dimension or several.

If you've seen any of the few pictures of Elmore, you'll notice he plays an acoustic. That ballsy slide sound on those Fire sessions comes from a miked acoustic guitar.

Now for an interesting question regarding Elmore James: who really wrote Dust My Broom, Elmore or Robert Johnson? Some claim Elmore was singing this back in 1927 and all around Mississippi in the early 30s with the signature slide triplets and that Robert Johnson got it from him. I've also read that "dust my broom" was a code dating back to slavery days, notifying others that the singer was going to escape the plantation that night.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)