ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Jagger by Mazur
© Kevin Mazur/Wire Image with thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Start Me Up needs to go Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 24th, 2005 04:17 PM
The Wick Only removing SMU from the setlist will do wonders. It's a classic and I love it to death and all that, but everyone hears it before games and on adverts and things like that. It's too predictable. I think they should put in Paint It Black as the opener. Most of my friends who are not diehards but who like the Stones always ask if they have played Paint It Black. Their dissapointment is obvious when I tell them it's not even on the list.
[Edited by The Wick]
August 24th, 2005 04:20 PM
Saint Sway they should change the opener every night.

if they arent going to mix the songs - at least mix the order.

last night my friend called me from Fenway at the start of the show. As soon as I heard "Start Me Up" being played again as the 1st song I hung up in disgust.
August 24th, 2005 04:23 PM
Nellcote Don't count on it.
You see the opening montage, it all fits.
As I tell my kids, DEAL WITH IT!~
August 24th, 2005 04:30 PM
Angiegirl They never change the opener during a tour. SMU is here to stay.
August 24th, 2005 05:05 PM
pdog
quote:
The Wick wrote:
Only removing SMU from the setlist will do wonders. It's a classic and I love it to death and all that, but everyone hears it before games and on adverts and things like that. It's too predictable. I think they should put in Paint It Black as the opener. Most of my friends who are not diehards but who like the Stones always ask if they have played Paint It Black. Their dissapointment is obvious when I tell them it's not even on the list.
[Edited by The Wick]

You are making it very hard for me to love you!
August 24th, 2005 05:32 PM
egon love the album version, but they never really pull it off live.
August 24th, 2005 07:17 PM
Highwire Rob They need to open the Pittsburgh show with Highwire!!!!

After all, Mick's getting the political itch again with the Neocon song on a Bigger Bang!
August 24th, 2005 07:20 PM
Highwire Rob ooohps... I've lost a button on me avatar... we don't want me avatar to fall down now do we?
August 24th, 2005 07:30 PM
Soldatti Start Me Up is the perfect first number.
August 24th, 2005 07:37 PM
Flairville It doesn't need to go, I guarantee you 90% of the audience at the stadium and arena shows are dying to hear it. IMHO the show wouldn't be complete without it. It's the last great hit and although it might be blasphemy for a die hard to admit, but it's my favourite riff ever. My favourite version is from Largo 1981, i think it's on rockpassion.
August 24th, 2005 07:47 PM
The Wick I agree that if they changed things around a little bit, then it would still be a joy to listen to, but every time is too much. If it was played once in a while, it would be far more enjoyable and more relevant. Every tour should have a new opener. We already had SMU for Steel Wheels, that's why I loved Not Fade Away- no one expected it.
August 24th, 2005 07:53 PM
Mad Brained Bear Other openers that would kill:
- Continental Drift
- Midnight Rambler [my favorite idea]
- Gimme Shelter
- Lets Spend The Night Together [as fitting for a start as
SMU, no?]
- Rocks Off
August 24th, 2005 09:33 PM
FPM C10 Having seen them open with it in '89, I think A) they're never going to NOT play the song America knows better than any other Stones song and B)since they will play it anyway, the opening spot is the best place for it. I really have no love for the song, but in '89 when Keith played the opening lick and then a gigantic explosion blinded the audience and when their vision returned there were the Rolling Stones playing, after an absense of 8 years - I thought that was the most effective opener EVER. I didn't even HEAR the song I was so excited.

Opening with Midnight Rambler is a bad idea IMO. They should do it as an ENCORE. Leave people stunned and speechless.
August 24th, 2005 11:31 PM
exile
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Don't count on it.
You see the opening montage, it all fits.
As I tell my kids, DEAL WITH IT!~

Hey Nellcote, tell us about the opening montage?
what is it? Whats the theme? What happens in it?

August 24th, 2005 11:34 PM
exile
quote:
Mad Brained Bear wrote:
Other openers that would kill:
- Midnight Rambler [my favorite idea]

They opened with this at the Enmore Threatre show in sydney 2003, Australia....it was a fantastic opener.
August 25th, 2005 08:32 AM
justinkurian I wish they'd play these, let alone play 'em as openers:

All Down The Line
Silver Train
If You Can't Rock Me (I like the version they did on FF)

Anyone a fan of 'Miss Amanda Jones'? I think that'd be a great obscure song to pull out in the middle of a set.
August 25th, 2005 09:48 AM
glencar Miss Amanda is a great song but it might be a bit TOO obscure for them to play at a stadium. I don't mind SMU as the opener: in fact, I like it. It's the 2 warhorses on the B-stage which disturb me.
August 25th, 2005 10:35 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
glencar wrote:
I don't mind SMU as the opener: in fact, I like it. It's the 2 warhorses on the B-stage which disturb me.

the b-stage has always provided an opportunity for them to rock out lesser known tracks or covers. Be it Neighbors or Mannish Boy. Or Little Queenie or Little Red Rooster.

its criminal for them to play war horses on the b-stage
August 25th, 2005 10:43 AM
nankerphelge It is not a bad opener for all of the reasons stated, but they had so much more they could have gone with. Start Me Up does kind of end flat in my mind -- the tempo is slower now and it just kind of drags out.

Howe I wish they'd open with Sympathy, especially with the version they played this year where Keith's guitar absolutely tears the paint off the walls with the "Pleased To Meet You" lines! Damn that Stones sound was soooooo good the other night!
August 25th, 2005 10:45 AM
Nellcote Exile;

Along the lines of the recent tour openahs in stadiums/arenas, as follows...

The lights in the arena diM....
The jumbotron screen has a faint fire spark which grows to an explosion..
The Guggenhiem front of the stage seating area starts pulsating with light..
Noise or drums, loud humming electronica effects can be heard..
The light turns evolves into the entire screen, then evovles into a semi meteor storm of asteriods, space shuttles, rocket ships. All the while, for brief moments, the silhouettes of each of the Stones appears in a cloud burst..
Then the tongue travels diagnolly across the screen..
You then have a brief snippet of various items from the Stones past including the blimp at night....
Music, lights, video all heat up with a blaze of glory....
Firepots explode, START ME UP!

Worked for me...
August 25th, 2005 10:46 AM
StonesChick I wish they would drop Start Me Up. It's one of my least favorite songs on one of my most favorite albums.
August 25th, 2005 11:01 AM
UGot2Rollme
quote:
StonesChick wrote:
I wish they would drop Start Me Up.

I agree - it was never one of my favorites, anyway, wouldn't miss it a bit.

Licks tour openers Street Fightin Man or Brown Sugar were much better.

Something a little more daring would be preferred, though, like Rough Justice (as they did at Phoenix in Toronto) or Oh No Not You Again would be cool.

Keep on Rollin'
August 25th, 2005 11:08 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Exile;

Along the lines of the recent tour openahs in stadiums/arenas, as follows...

The lights in the arena diM....
The jumbotron screen has a faint fire spark which grows to an explosion..
The Guggenhiem front of the stage seating area starts pulsating with light..
Noise or drums, loud humming electronica effects can be heard..
The light turns evolves into the entire screen, then evovles into a semi meteor storm of asteriods, space shuttles, rocket ships. All the while, for brief moments, the silhouettes of each of the Stones appears in a cloud burst..
Then the tongue travels diagnolly across the screen..
You then have a brief snippet of various items from the Stones past including the blimp at night....
Music, lights, video all heat up with a blaze of glory....
Firepots explode, START ME UP!

Worked for me...

yeah but Nellie, that would work with Street Fighting Man or JJFlash or any other Stones song. Hell it would work with YGMR or even Live With Me.

THEY NEED TO MIX IT UP. No need to be boring and predictable.
August 25th, 2005 11:12 AM
Nellcote You are correct.
You need to have patience in the World's Greatest Rock N Roll Band...
As I have learned to understand, "this too shall pass..."
August 25th, 2005 11:25 AM
gimmekeef I'm going with 4 friends who've never seen them.Asked each which song they had to hear..SMU was 3/4 the other was Satisfaction....Warhorses for the masses guys....
August 25th, 2005 12:52 PM
texile U and Chick.....i agree three - decent groove - but i always thought smu was overrated - one of jagger's lamest songs lyrically; it's also become synonomous with corporate rock.........
i always thought ER was the last great single - because i remember in high school....EVERYBODY liked it, not just "rock" friends - but my lowrider friends too.
August 25th, 2005 02:34 PM
J.J.Flash Don't need to go too far.....

Rough Justice is just SUPERB for opening...
August 25th, 2005 07:36 PM
crb69 Start Me Up was what caught my attention on the radio in the cafeteria getting lunch in 6th garde. My musical life truly began after that point on > totally devoted to Rock N' Roll!!! Start Me Up is up there with Brown Sugar for me & I'm sure many others...

Strut your Shit Boyz!
August 25th, 2005 08:09 PM
Gazza
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
Don't need to go too far.....

Rough Justice is just SUPERB for opening...

I thought so too, but having heard the show the other night, now I'm not so sure

Mick hasnt quite mastered singing it in the right key yet. His vocal sounded a bit flat

I'm surprised that they opened with Start Me Up again, as not only did they do it in 89-90 but also at some shows on the last tour that I was at
August 25th, 2005 08:15 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I thought so too, but having heard the show the other night, now I'm not so sure
Mick hasnt quite mastered singing it in the right key yet. His vocal sounded a bit flat

Yep, my feelings too.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)