ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Thobby!!
Rentschler Field, East Hartford - August 26, 2005
Picture taken from "On-Stage" seats
Thanks Throbby!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Will A Bigger Bang debut at #1 in the US? Return to archive
August 24th, 2005 06:17 PM
Poison Dart Okay, now that the tour is up and rolling and is already a huge success. The big question is will the record debut at #1?

It's ashame the record didn't come out in the last two weeks. Hillary Duff will enter the Billboard 200 at #1 with only 208,000 records sold. The week before Staind had the #1 record with 185,000 copies sold. The Stones would have gone to #1 either one of these weeks.

Another lost opportunity seems to have been touring before the album comes out instead of releasing the album the week out the tour. In the US there was alot of media buzz wasted this week on the new tour that could have been used to pump up the record.

On the upside the presales at Amazon.com have been quite good. As I type this the album is at #6 nearly two full weeks before it hits the street.

The only major competiton I see the Stones having is the new release from Kanye West which comes out the week before the Stones. West is getting some nice buzz of his own this week with solid airplay and the cover of Time Magazine. Plus he has an appearnece coming up on the Mtv awards that traditionally has been a big plus for album sales. His biggest advantage is the fact that his demographic is the demographic that buys cd's. That will make him tough to beat. BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE.

West is not in the same league with guys like 50 Cent and Eminem as far as record sales go.

As I type this West has the #14 record on Amazon (younger hip hop artists don't sell as well on Amazon as older artists do) less than a week before his cd drops. My gut feeling says his cd will open huge. Can the Stones knock him out in his second week?

I know Virgin is pulling out all the stops. They have 1 minute long commercials that are set to start appearing on tv within the next couple of days that are meant to draw as much publicity to the album as possible. Also the Stones involvement with the NFL kicks off within the next week or so.

Where is the new Stones video to push this album?

The Stones have been kept out of #1 by pure bad luck several times over the last ten years or so. Some examples are the huge Lion King soundtrack kept Voodoo Lounge out of #1. While Elvis's greatest hit's (which had a #1 single behind it) just barely kept 40 licks out of #1.

I think they will need to sell around 350,000 copies to get to number #1. A tough task for sure but not impossible.

A #1 Stones record in the year 2005 would be a big FUCK YOU to all the haters who say they are too old,can't do it anymore etc.

Do you think the Stones will shock the world and debut at #1?

I'm not embarrassed to say I will be disapointed if they don't debut at #1.

BUY THE RECORD THE FIRST WEEK IT COMES OUT.
August 24th, 2005 06:25 PM
pdog It would be nice, but I only care if iIlike it, not if millions buy it!
The Stones are huge. And sometimes that sucks for me. My favorite band is the biggest and best band in the world. It's hard sometimes to keep something so big, a very special thing. It really goes against my nature. BUT !!! That's why The Stones are great. Any other band i like, I usually hate it when everyone else likes them too!
August 24th, 2005 07:06 PM
Mr D who gives a fuck ?

i'll buy it because i love the Stones. but i couldn't care less if it sells 1 copy or 10m. what difference will it make to me ?

if someone else is number 1 who gives a fuck ?

[Edited by Mr D]
August 24th, 2005 07:28 PM
Soldatti It's hard to say, Kayne West will get a strong second week and 50 Cent re-issue will move 200,000 at least.
August 24th, 2005 08:07 PM
Poison Dart I give a fuck because I want the Stones to continue to record and make albums that matter.
August 24th, 2005 10:15 PM
Steel Wheels The people who buy Kanye West do so from street vendors, right? I see his albums for sale in the subway as well.

August 24th, 2005 11:06 PM
the good I think this record will sell around 5 million copies (US). Its already generating a great buzz.
August 24th, 2005 11:18 PM
Soldatti
quote:
the good wrote:
I think this record will sell around 5 million copies (US). Its already generating a great buzz.

It will be shocking if it sell that but WORLDWIDE!
August 25th, 2005 02:34 AM
glencar It won't be higher than #5.
August 25th, 2005 02:58 AM
BlindLemon Frankly, I don't see how it could get stuck that low. Even Bridges opened at no. 3 right? Unless there are 4 strong debutees or some lingering smash album comes along (don't reeally see that though) no. 3. is the worst ABB could do. I think. Of course, I've just cut open the stomach of a stearling, and studied its liver for some time to be absolutely sure about these comments
August 25th, 2005 08:40 AM
gimmekeef I kinda hope it does cause that would give them number 1's in five consecutive decades which has to be a record no one could beat.But I'm not buying 100 copies to make it happen either!....Just let it be as good as the hype and soundbites we've heard....
August 25th, 2005 08:55 AM
egon
quote:
glencar wrote:
It won't be higher than #5.

but it'll stay there for at least 152 weeks!
August 25th, 2005 08:57 AM
Honky Tonk Man I can't see it reaching the number one spot, but who knows?

However, I really do think It'll reach the top five.
August 25th, 2005 09:43 AM
glencar I've heard SOL & RJ on NY radio 5 times between them since they were released to radio. I've heard them much more often on rs.com. I know "Sweet NC" made news but that was a couple of weeks ago & ABB still has 2 weeks to go before it gets released. #5 in the US: guaranteed.
August 25th, 2005 09:56 AM
egon it's worse in europe;

I hear crazy frog (*) will bring out his latest on
the same date as the stones. oooooh the compitition!

(*) = for all you yankees; don't ask!
August 25th, 2005 01:13 PM
Soldatti Billboard charts this week:

Issue Date: Sept. 3, 2005

BILLBOARD MAINSTREAM ROCK TRACKS - Rough Justice - #25 (Run: 29-29-27-25)
BILLBOARD TOP POP CATALOG ALBUMS - Forty Licks - #41 (4,200 copies sold last week)
August 25th, 2005 03:31 PM
Poison Dart It should enter the chart no lower than second place. I don't think that 50 Cent reissue will be able to beat it.

IMHO It's

THE ROLLING STONES vs Kanye West for the #1 album in America.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)