ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Thobby!!
Rentschler Field, East Hartford - August 26, 2005
Picture taken from "On-Stage" seats
Thanks Throbby!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: My review of "A Bigger Bang" Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
August 20th, 2005 12:43 PM
Flairville Great review mate! I'm so excited now. I was at a Wedding last night at knebworth park, the DJ put a Stones medley on and everyone was moving to it from the 20 year olds to the over 60's.
August 20th, 2005 01:06 PM
glencar really, man!
August 20th, 2005 01:53 PM
T&A
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Quit yer bitchin'.

Make me
August 20th, 2005 03:01 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
The Wick wrote:

I, for one, was actually somewhat pleased they were kicking the album off with a ballad and was not dying for it to be some crunching riff, although I love that as well. In fact, I really thought that it would be their best stuff in ages if they were going to go with the ballad as their opener.

Screw that shit, riff dude, RIFF!
August 20th, 2005 03:25 PM
Bob Tamp Thanks Gary for the review.

As far as Streets of Love is concerned, this seems like the first ballad since FOOL TO CRY that has divided so many fans. If you love it.. play it...and if you dont..hit skip button on your cd player.

BTW: on Thursday at Fenway rehearsals they did a great version IMHO of SOL
August 20th, 2005 03:34 PM
IanBillen [quote]The Wick wrote:

Ian, I have to respectfully disagree with your opinion about SOL. I, for one, was actually somewhat pleased they were kicking the album off with a ballad and was not dying for it to be some crunching riff, although I love that as well. In fact, I really thought that it would be their best stuff in ages if they were going to go with the ballad as their opener.

However, SOL fails both for the Stones fan and for the average pop fan, whatever their age. The proof is in the abysmal chart success of SOL. No one has heard it and the few responses I have had from my friends, who listen to all kinds of music, is cynical laughter at my confidence and the resounding opinion is "this song fucking blows." The chorus, although I admit could have been popular, ends up being this pathetic attempt at romance with the guitars raining in the background like some ultra lame attempt to be heavy and trying to copy what is already total shit like Matchbox 20 or some other lame band. If they had at least got it right, we could say, it's shit, but it charted. This way, even the Matchbox 20 fans are laughing at it. After hearing on the radio a few times, I can safely say, this is the worst thing I have ever heard by the Stones. I count all the shite on the other albums like Back to Zero, Already Over Me, etc. in that valuation.

I am happy however that everyone is rating ABB so highly and I can't wait to get it in September. From the clips I heard on Amazon, I think Let Me Down Slow or Laugh, I Nearly Died, would have been much better choices for a single. They sound like quality on those clips, even if they didn't do well. Right now, SOL sounds like shite and it is doing terribly.

Exile, I think you are spot on about VL. I found it to be far superior to Bridges and am hoping that the feel of this album is closer to VL than Bridges.

Wick, I understand what you are saying. I know SOL may not hit number one on the Pop charts for six straight weeks. My arguement is not that it will do this but in that is what The band was leaning toward or going for with that one. If you think SOL will get bad responses from the majority of Pop radio station listeners imagine what they would think of Rain Fall Down. It would be met with even less welcome. Again it is just my humble opinion.

Ian

Ian
August 20th, 2005 03:37 PM
Soldatti I think that the album will sound as a mix of VL and GITD.
August 20th, 2005 04:22 PM
glencar Nope! More guitars & better singing. I liekd GITD somewhat but not VL. This so far surpasses either of those.
August 20th, 2005 07:32 PM
Bob Tamp I think some of these tracks sound better the more you play them. After about the 4th play, It wont take long really took off for me. I also have played Keiths ballad a shit load of times and love it more the I hear it. Its got that sloppy slightly off key chorus which is wonderful and harps back to old stones.
August 21st, 2005 12:30 AM
Bloozehound nice review gazster

but if you had to rate this one on a scale of 1 to 5 what would it be ?

From what little I've heard so far I'd say 4-ish

a nice return to form

a bigger bang it is
August 23rd, 2005 04:36 AM
beer
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

The Stones used to be the absolute MASTERS of this sort of sequencing. They did it better than the Beatles did, and, well, maybe not Dylan. Seriously, dude, a hip cover on side four is what this album is crying for.

Nasty,
I consider it to be a lost art, mostly. Perfect album sequencing, that is. I absolutely love the way Exile is put together on record.Those songs were meant to be presented in that order.4 sides perfectly set in STONE. there's no way around it! Same with Sticky Fingers. But after all is said and done, I think Tattoo You is the best piece of Stones wax. the guitars/sax/vocals/bass/drums/everything, sound incredible on it. Shit, when Slave happens it's pure sleaze melting all over the turntable.. And Mick could time a record brilliantly. But it's a format that is mostly neglected these days.Which is a bummer cuz it's The whole side 1 and 2 part that really defines Tattoo You. imo.

-
August 23rd, 2005 08:57 AM
Gazza
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
nice review gazster

but if you had to rate this one on a scale of 1 to 5 what would it be ?

From what little I've heard so far I'd say 4-ish

a nice return to form

a bigger bang it is

an easy 4. 4 1/2 at a stretch.
August 23rd, 2005 08:58 AM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I think that the album will sound as a mix of VL and GITD.

the only song that really reminds me of GITD is "Streets of love".

maybe "biggest mistake" too, I suppose. Although that song is far superior to ANYTHING Jagger has ever put on a solo record.

the rest of it sounds like the Rolling Stones, babies

And it doesnt get much better than that!

[Edited by Gazza]
August 24th, 2005 06:05 AM
gotdablouse Well I think I'm breaking down...if anyone can spare in LoFi "Let me down slow", 'Look what the cat" (even though Nick Kent says they should have left it off!) and 'infamy' on webvan [@]gmail.com that would make my day...or my night ;-)
[Edited by gotdablouse]
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)