ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Thobby!!
Rentschler Field, East Hartford - August 26, 2005
Picture taken from "On-Stage" seats
Thanks Throbby!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: My review of "A Bigger Bang" Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
August 19th, 2005 02:53 AM
UGot2Rollme THANKS FOR THE REVIEW, GAZZA!!!

I sure hope they play a healthy amount of it on stage!
August 19th, 2005 03:35 AM
Jumacfly average rating : 7.4/10

good!
August 19th, 2005 04:23 AM
ListenToTheLion [quote] Stones albums often take a while to grow on me, probably because for 30 years or so I've been too emotionally attached to the band's music to get a proper perspective on the first few listens, but I liked this one right away. [quote]

Interesting and honest review Gazza. What surprises me in most other comments is the enthusiasm without restrictions. And the most crazy thing is those reviewers haven't heard the album yet but only snippets. As you say most of us fans are emotionally too attached to have a proper perspective. After a couple of months, maybe even after a few years, you can tell if an album has made it and won't fade away.
But you made me very curious.
[Edited by ListenToTheLion]
August 19th, 2005 04:46 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
And just think.....this album will only get better to you!

it already has! last night - on the official site - was the first time I've had a chance to listen to "it wont take long" and "this place is empty" as they're supposed to sound, and both are better songs than I gave them credit for in my original post.

That review was based on hearing the album mostly in lo-fi quality. So, the real thing will be even better
August 19th, 2005 05:23 AM
egon i hope so gazza.

i listedned via amazone and the quality is soo poor that non of the songs really grabbed me...
August 19th, 2005 05:41 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
egon wrote:
i hope so gazza.

i listedned via amazone and the quality is soo poor that non of the songs really grabbed me...

Stop listening to snippets. It spoils all the fun. What can you say about 30 seconds?
August 19th, 2005 05:57 AM
egon that it's not ver good?

i know what you mean. i listended once, but won't do no more

i promise!
August 19th, 2005 06:14 AM
Mottrush Well done Gazza! An honest and frank review. Simply can't wait. All the snippets and clips I've heard can't really compare to getting the bloody thing home on that first day and turning up the volume on the big system!!!

From my reckoning us Aussies will have quite a few hours advantage on the rest of the world. In store 9.00am 5th September!! That's a few listens before the rest of you!!

Cheers,

Mottrush
August 19th, 2005 07:05 AM
Gazza
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
average rating : 7.4/10

good!

It averaged as low as that? I'm surprised (I hadnt added it all up)

Realistically, its probably about an '8'. I havent rated the one song I havent heard in full (Dangerous Beauty) and from what I've heard about it, I'm sure it'll be one of my favourites when I check out the whole thing. Plus, like I said earlier, I rated the songs based on the tape I had. Every song that I've subsequently heard in the way its supposed to be listened to I've liked better than I originally did. On the tape I have, I thought "It wont take long" was a really good track. On rs.com's version, its a killer of a song!

For the lesser songs, 6/10 still isnt bad. With rating a Stones record, you're always subconsciously comparing it to what you've heard before. An 'average' Rolling Stones song is still worth listening to and a lot better than most of the shit that passes for music these days.
August 19th, 2005 07:07 AM
BlindLemon thnx for the review. just got around to reading it. Counting the days.
August 19th, 2005 07:27 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Where are those posters who said the Stones were all washed up as far as new music goes? Please come forward, bend over and take your punishment. Sure it'll hurt...but it's for your own good.
August 19th, 2005 07:28 AM
justinkurian Thanks for the review, Gazza. I think I need to buy a new sound system before Sept. 5th.

And by the way:

"[But A Bigger Bang] is a very basic record, and I hope people like it because it will make us do another one like it." - Charlie Watts, Rolling Stone interview
August 19th, 2005 07:31 AM
egon
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Where are those posters who said the Stones were all washed up as far as new music goes? Please come forward, bend over and take your punishment. Sure it'll hurt...but it's for your own good.

i think jb is on holiday...
August 19th, 2005 07:35 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
egon wrote:
i think jb is on holiday...

Wait a minute. He isn't the only one.
August 19th, 2005 08:21 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
beer wrote:
Also, how will the tracklist break down on the record? It's a double album, right? I cant imagine the 2nd record opening with "This place is empty".

SIDE 1?
1 Rough Justice
2 Let Me Down Slow
3 It Won’t Take Long
4 Rain Fall Down
Side 2?
5 Streets Of Love
6 Back Of My Hand
7 She Saw Me Coming
8 Biggest Mistake
SIDE 3?
9 This Place Is Empty
10 Oh No, Not You Again
11 Dangerous Beauty
12 Laugh, I Nearly Died
SIDE 4?
13 Sweet Neo Con
14 Look What The Cat Dragged In
15 Driving Too Fast
16 Infamy

-

Yeah, beer, I think that's how it will break, which means it's almost a proper double album. None of those damn three song sides to drive me crazy.

I hear what you're saying about the logical side breaks being kind of weird, though. The album seems about one song short for peak vinyl sequencing - Streets of Love should wind out side one so that side two can lead with Back of My Hand and end with This Place Is Empty. That way side three could open w/Oh No and end w/Neocon (the CD sequencing puts Neocon very tight on Laugh, which sounds excellent). And one more song between Look What the Cat Dragged in as a side four opener and Driving Too Fast would have even more fully underlined how much Driving Too Fast, this album's final-mick-blast-before-keef -sums-it-all-up-for-you numba, roars. Too bad they didn't toss in a cover in what could have been the "Stop Breaking Down" slot. Oh well.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
August 19th, 2005 08:41 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

Too bad they didn't toss in a cover in what could have been the "Stop Breaking Down" slot. Oh well.

without having heard the disc in toto i still agree...pity they didn/t commit "get up stand up " to official release

a cover of some black music always makes a stones release a treasure box

August 19th, 2005 08:53 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Where are those posters who said the Stones were all washed up as far as new music goes? Please come forward, bend over and take your punishment. Sure it'll hurt...but it's for your own good.

I am one of them. But as said before, how to judge an album that isn't in the stores yet? I have only heard 3 songs and a lot of snippets. I'll give you my opinion when I have listened to the entire album. Does that sounds fair to you?

btw: if the album is good it won't hurt but I will be glad and the first to admit that I was wrong (wrong=sceptical).
[Edited by ListenToTheLion]
August 19th, 2005 08:54 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

I am one of them. But as said before, how to judge an album that isn't in the stores yet? I have only heard 3 songs and a lot of snippets. I'll give you my opinion when I have listened to the entire album. Does that sounds fair to you?

btw: if the album is good it won't hurt but I will be glad and the first to admit that I was wrong (wrong=sceptical).

August 19th, 2005 09:08 AM
Lazy Bones Thanks for the review, Gazza.

Having a little knowledge or history about how you critique Stones albums is a nice basis while reading your review - as you stated with how you dismantled expectations on different levels for different reasons.

I agree, as do you, just because it's the Stones, doesn't mean it's going to be great or require automatic acceptance. Knowing that, then reading this review, brings me greater confidence in this album. Very refreshing.

Thank you!

August 19th, 2005 09:17 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

without having heard the disc in toto i still agree...pity they didn/t commit "get up stand up " to official release

a cover of some black music always makes a stones release a treasure box

fuck amn

that i sso much bullsh

it may still be great
August 19th, 2005 09:21 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

fuck amn

that i sso much bullsh

it may still be great

now i know you're crazy...there are meant to be laws for people like you
GET A FUCKIN' LIFE MAN!!

or buy a pool cue or something

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
August 19th, 2005 10:18 AM
FPM C10 After a slow start, my excitement is building more and more everyday. Gazza's review just threw it into overdrive. Thanks mate!

I too made the mistake of listening to the Amazon clips. If you haven't, don't. Just wait for the real thing.
August 19th, 2005 10:29 AM
egon
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
I too made the mistake of listening to the Amazon clips. If you haven't, don't. Just wait for the real thing.

AMEN!
August 19th, 2005 10:34 AM
Monkey Woman I'm just listening to IWTL on the RS.com media box, and I'm impressed by the emotional power packed in the delivery (vocals and music). The Stones are *here*, they are alive and kicking ass!
August 19th, 2005 10:37 AM
egon if i have to give a review based on amazone.com,
i'd say the album has a "great" metal sound to it! :-)
August 19th, 2005 10:56 AM
Monkey Woman Have I said that I was thrilled by your review, Gazza? The more so because it's coming after Uncut's take on the album, plus Voodoo's enthousiastic account -- and now Nasty Habits! It's great to read what knowledgeable, honest fans have to say after listening to the album in its bulk. And I don't think my own ears are deceiving me, either! Gerardo's clips plus Amazon.com soundbytes and the RS.com media box! There's some outstanding stuff in there. I hope too that they'll feel like using as much of it as possible on stage!
August 19th, 2005 11:04 AM
stonedinaustralia as you can read the thought of this has turned me so crazy i'm talking to myself
August 19th, 2005 12:45 PM
Jair Many thanks, Gazza!!!
Loved your review!
August 19th, 2005 12:51 PM
Moonisup
quote:

you hear mine, when I have heard the album.
August 19th, 2005 05:13 PM
T&A Gazza - got a "methodology" question for you...

You're using a 10-point scale. Your lowest score is a 6. What's the 10 points in relation to? How good a Stones song could be? How good any song could be? Give me an example of a Stones song from the Woody era, say, that would rate a 1 or 2 or 3 or a 4.

Incidentally, if I were using a 10 point schema, I'd rate ONNSOL at 1 (0 if I could go lower).

The way you stack it up, I'm led to believe you think every song on the album is a better than average Stones song - and I can't believe that's your intent.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)