ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Lynn Goldsmith
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What if Keef had a cold? Return to archive
08-20-03 04:28 PM
UGot2Rollme On a scale of 1 - 10, how dissapointed would you be if Keith couldnt sing his 2 tunes at 100%?

1 = take a break Keef, we havent missed his voice since the Tatoo You Tour

2 = wouldnt really notice
5 = would take a couple of extra shots of Jack or Screwdrivers to feel ok about it
7 = full refund demanded, especially if the Keef songs were dropped from the setlist

10 = Huge dissapointment: Keef is the heart and soul of the band, and I think that occasionally he should do 4-5 songs / BRING BACK LITTLE T&A !!
---------------
I'm between an 8 or a 9 right now, how about you?
08-20-03 04:33 PM
Gazza Keith would sing them anyway and wouldnt give a fuck.

Busting his finger like he did at wembley in 1990 and causing 3 shows to be postponed the following week is a DIFFERENT matter though!
08-20-03 04:35 PM
jb #1...give us all a huge break and shut up with you bellowing ballads...what once was a treat to hear Happy or T &A, has become a major embarrassmnet and momentum killer. No wonder Jagger leaves the stage.
08-20-03 04:49 PM
FotiniD A grand scale 10 for me.

Jagger leaving the stage has something to do with contracts, if my memory does not fail me. I'm all in favor of a circa 70's Glimmer Twins singing their brains off on the mic, but I know this ain't gonna happen.

However, Keith's tunes are always full of soul, even if he's having a bad night. And give the man a break, he's done three times the kind of lives most people wouldn't live through and I think he deserves the right to sing ballads or rockers or the national anthem if he wishes too!
08-20-03 05:56 PM
dealer squealing JB wrote "#1...give us all a huge break and shut up with you bellowing ballads...what once was a treat to hear Happy or T &A, has become a major embarrassmnet and momentum killer. No wonder Jagger leaves the stage."

Yeah it was defenetly a treat if one could HEAR him perform Happy or Little T and A in lets say 1973, 1975 and 1981, he was so drugged he couldnīt stand on his feet at times and did not know how to sing in a mike, also he wasnīt even singing compared to nowadays. JB! Take Brussel Affair out of your cd player for 120 minutes and put on the Philadelphia club gig 2002.
08-20-03 07:48 PM
KeithRichards210 [quote]UGot2Rollme wrote:
On a scale of 1 - 10, how dissapointed would you be if Keith couldnt sing his 2 tunes at 100%?

A 10 here. Keith is the heart and soul of the Stones. All feeling, if perhaps not always smooth. I'd be pissed!
08-20-03 07:54 PM
Gazza >Yeah it was defenetly a treat if one could HEAR him perform Happy or Little T and A in lets say 1973, 1975 and 1981, he was so drugged he couldnīt stand on his feet at times and did not know how to sing in a mike, also he wasnīt even singing compared to nowadays. JB! Take Brussel Affair out of your cd player for 120 minutes and put on the Philadelphia club gig 2002.

excellent point. keith's onstage singing is much better in recent years than it was in the 70's. And on the ballads this tour he's been excellent.

08-20-03 11:00 PM
Jaxx none of the above, but i'd miss my chance to go out and grab a beer or hit the watershed.
however, i agree with gazza that his voice has gotten alot better over the years.
08-20-03 11:47 PM
Beatle Neil So has he.
As the man himself says in the 25X5 doc -
"Some things get better with age...like me!"
Keef couldn't have written 'Locked away', 'Make no mistake' or 'Slipping away' in his demented days, so to speak...it's been lovely hearing the soulful, vulnerable side of Keef. The first 2 I just mentioned wouldn't have sounded out of place on 'Steel wheels' at all.
I'll take 'Locked away' over 'Sad Sad Sad' anyday thanks.....but then again, why the bloody hell wasn't 'Fancyman blues' on the LP?

Hey...did Keef sing the 1st verse of 'Salt of the Earth' when he and Mick did it at the concert for New York?
I STILL ain't heard it....
08-21-03 02:16 AM
marko Yes he did sang it.
08-21-03 02:37 AM
UGot2Rollme I must admit, I was in the 4-5 range when I saw them at the Garden back in January, so I went and took a piss during one of the best songs of the night - Thru & Thru. At least I've got it on video.

Viva Keef!
08-21-03 02:40 AM
FotiniD
quote:
UGot2Rollme wrote:
I must admit, I was in the 4-5 range when I saw them at the Garden back in January, so I went and took a piss during one of the best songs of the night - Thru & Thru. At least I've got it on video.

Viva Keef!

Someone explain to me please how can you do this!!!!! God, this is Keith Richards singing, how can you just up and go for a pis?! Be it an earthquake or the end of the world as we know it, I'd still be standing there listening!

Sorry, I'm a bit sensitive with this, especially when in gigs I see people going for beer!
08-21-03 03:00 AM
Doxa I would take #2: no one would hear any difference (the same goes for Dylan), and no one would complain.

Doxa
08-21-03 09:49 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy This premise is flawed.

If Keith had a cold, his antibodies would kill that sucka like that and drug companies would make trillions with the "Richards Cure For The Common Cold".

I'd say 'bout a six. It really depends on the song, though. The versions of "Happy" from this tour have been incredibly lackluster. I'd love to see him break out even "Wanna Hold You" as his token rocker. And the synths on "Slipping Away" ruin it.

-tSYX --- I saw her today at the reception...
08-21-03 12:14 PM
Boomy Are you kidding me?

Keef's best songs are from his days when he was fucked up!!!

Coming DOwn Again
You Got the Silver
All About you (Jack Daniels phase....big time!!)
Happy
Little T&A (outtake from which seesions in the 70's??)

But, true, you can't really understand him on Little T&A on LSTNT. "She my lil' rock'a roooooooooo...". Somethin' like that.
08-21-03 02:34 PM
Jumping Jack 1