ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Lynn Goldsmith
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Amsterdam ArenA 20-08-2003 CANCELLED Return to archive
08-20-03 08:24 AM
TAA On the news now... show cancelled due to (repeated) throat problems of Mick

Sad sad sad
08-20-03 08:39 AM
Doxa This might sound a bit nasty.. sorry for that.. But I have to admit that after they screwed up broadcasting the show it feels almost good that whole fuckin' show cancelled.

Still, I feel sorry for those 50 000.

Sometimes it is hard to be a Rolling Stones fan.

Doxa
08-20-03 08:41 AM
albert also on teletext of NOS and RTL 4.....

Radio 2 (which is in the middle of a special Stones day - Stones top 40 from 17.00 till 21.00 hrs.) anounced the cancelation for a few times and says that MOJO will soon come with an official statement or something.

So I guess after no Stones show live on Radio 2 this of course also will mean no tv broadcast at RTL 4 -Staatsloterijshow.

At the Arena people are told they will recieve a flyer with explanation in 15 minutes what will happen next....

Albert
Holland
08-20-03 08:43 AM
FotiniD Why am I not buying this excuse?

Ok, Mick had his problems with his throat on this tour, but there are one too many coincidences here. Not so good show last night, the problems with the broadcasting... Hm...

I really feel for the people who'll miss the show too Especially those who traveled to be there, people who don't get the chance to see them often...
[Edited by FotiniD]
08-20-03 08:52 AM
albert Just a few seconds ago MOJO declared on the radio (2): the concert will be rescheduled. New possible date could be september 22th in the ARENA. Next friday will this be confirmed.

Mick has been to the hospital today with a cold on his throat. The advice was to not sing today, so this will not bring problems to the London concerts.
08-20-03 09:30 AM
FotiniD
quote:
albert wrote:

Mick has been to the hospital today with a cold on his throat. The advice was to not sing today, so this will not bring problems to the London concerts.

Well, if it was indeed the true cause of cancellation, alright, but I think i've become way too suspicious with all that lately.

Anyway, get well quick Mr. Jagger, this is not a time to be sick!
08-20-03 09:53 AM
LadyJane Give the man a break!!

These guys have been at it...non-stop for year!! And let's face it....they ARE 60 years old!!!

They have given us some kick ass shows and those that have been cancelled are being rescheduled.

Of course I feel bad for those with tickets. I would be sick if I made the trip to Amsterdam only to have the show postponed.

Lighten up, naysayers!! All of this "Monday morning quarterbacking" is getting quite dull.

LadyJ.

08-20-03 01:40 PM
Sir Stonesalot Hey, weren't Little Red Rooster & SDH over there?

At least Roostah saw the Rotterdam gigs...SDH went all that way for a shitty sounding arena show, and his other show got cancelled.

Whoa, that sucks. As you all know, I'm not a big SDH fan...but I really feel bad for the guy. The trip of a lifetime, and it gets wacked by a sore throat.
08-20-03 02:24 PM
jb are you and SDH friends agian?

[Edited by jb]
08-20-03 02:43 PM
bootcover
08-20-03 02:54 PM
FotiniD Let me post this here too, to have it in the same thread:

Here's a funny twist of the story. News are on national greek television, and the newscaster has just announced that the brodcast of the Amsterdam show is off, and in its place, they're gonna show "Gimme Shelter". So he says:

(valuable hint before reading. In greek, the phrase 'old wolf' is used to describe ageless rock stars, such as our boys. So, read on)

"However, don't miss out tonight a documentary on the ageless rock wolf Jimmy Shelter"

Obviously the guy never heard of a song "Gimme Shelter" - landed from Mars?! - though he does recollect the presence of a classic rocker named Jimmy Shelter among the Stones! God!
08-20-03 03:57 PM
MarthaMyDear YOU KNOW, WITH THE FUCKING ********** HUGE ********** TONS OF FUCKING MONEY WE SHELL-OUT AND GET INTO DEBT WITH TO SEE THIS FUCKING BAND, I THINK THAT IF YOU'RE HAVING THROAT PROBLEMS AND ARE THE SINGER, ETC., DOES IT REALLY MAKE ********** THAT ********** MUCH OF A FUCKING DENT IN YOUR WALLET TO HAVE A DOCTOR GO ON THE ********** TINY ********** REST OF THE TOUR WITH YOU (OR AT ********** LEAST ********** GET A COMPETENT ONE)?!?!?! Food for thought.

*** Martha ***
08-20-03 04:41 PM
Monkey Woman Sad, sad, sad! I really feel for all the people who will miss the show tonight, sometimes after travelling halfway round the globe. I hope Mick's voice gets better! Please, please, be back to form on Saturday! And pray Keith don't break a finger or some ribs this time...
08-20-03 04:58 PM
Hand of Fate
quote:
MarthaMyDear wrote:
YOU KNOW, WITH THE FUCKING ********** HUGE ********** TONS OF FUCKING MONEY WE SHELL-OUT AND GET INTO DEBT WITH TO SEE THIS FUCKING BAND, I THINK THAT IF YOU'RE HAVING THROAT PROBLEMS AND ARE THE SINGER, ETC., DOES IT REALLY MAKE ********** THAT ********** MUCH OF A FUCKING DENT IN YOUR WALLET TO HAVE A DOCTOR GO ON THE ********** TINY ********** REST OF THE TOUR WITH YOU (OR AT ********** LEAST ********** GET A COMPETENT ONE)?!?!?! Food for thought.

*** Martha ***

Mick flies his own throat doctor in from NYC at great cost and he takes every precaution to protect his throat, these things happen
08-20-03 06:52 PM
Angiegirl Tonight was the best show ever!!!!!!! No mistakes or whatsoever!!!

WOW!!!!

Ahum, anyway, we had a day off today. Nice!!!
My mum called me when we were almost at the train station in my home town, at 2.15pm. So we went to Amsterdam anyway and had a great time drinking beer, meeting fans (mostly Shidoobeeans) and having dinner at a Mexican restaurant. Not a wasted day, in fact, we had a better time today than last night at the show. Wasn't disappointed at all, if it was gonna be a mirror of yesterday, it's the best thing to just cancel/postpone, .

Angie and Mark
08-20-03 06:56 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Hand of Fate wrote:
Mick flies his own throat doctor in from NYC at great cost and he takes every precaution to protect his throat, these things happen

Nope, the boss/ceo of Mojo Concerts (part of Clear Channel Entertainment) said that he was called at 1.30 am last night by Michael Cohl with the request of a throat doctor and they went to the hospital with Mick in the middle of the night, and this morning at noon again. He told that in the special they had tonight instead of the broadcast.

BTW: We got 4 minutes of the Vredenburg show in that special too!! No Exp. and JJF. Better than nothing.
08-21-03 12:29 AM
MarthaMyDear I was just being over-dramatic in my post 'cause I'm just
HAPPY (but worried, also... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) that
I'll be in London SOON, so excuse me for being a bit, er,
hyper, shall we say?!?!?! CRACKING-
UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
And, Angiegirl, alot of
times those can turn-out to be the FUNNEST times is when shit
happens, so I'm glad you had a great time and will see them,
or whatever, at the rescheduled time, etc.!!!
Anyways, take care, PEACE, and DO ROCK
ON!!!

*** Martha ***
08-21-03 03:18 AM
Doxa Well, some countries seems to have something decent substitutes like Gimme Shelter or some specials, Bill Wyman interview etc. We here in Finland got nothing.. okay, not quite true: some shitty movie was broadcasted, don't remember (and don't care) what.

Doxa
08-21-03 03:54 AM
egon in dutch (with pics);

http://www.ad.nl/artikelen/VrijeTijd/1061357052839.html

www.freetranslation.com
08-21-03 05:43 AM
Moonisup Good that they cancelled it, now I can sell my ticket!
My god, that 19th show was REALLY bad!!!
08-21-03 06:06 AM
egon muppie,

you are becoming just as negative an cynical as JB.
(but YOU are not even 30...)
08-21-03 06:28 AM
Moonisup
quote:
egon wrote:
muppie,

you are becoming just as negative an cynical as JB.
(but YOU are not even 30...)

Egon; it was THAT bad
08-21-03 07:01 AM
Mathijs Take a look at the first sentence of the MOHO letter: "today, TUESDAY". It's just a little suspicious ain't it, first squabble over radio contracts, then all sponsor activities were rescheduled from the 20th to the 19th, then disagreements over TV-rights, the shooting of the DVD rescheduled from the 20th to the 19th, the 20th show wasn't sold out at all...something is telling me Mick and Cohl were aiming already for some days to cancel this concert...On the 19th the ADDED an extra song, that's not something you do when the throat is soar.

Mathijs

08-21-03 07:17 AM
Doxa What do we need here is some serious private investigation! We got to get that son of b...h to court and let the rest of the world know what he is like, that devil!

Jagger, we are coming after you! You will not get away with this one!

Doxa
08-21-03 07:37 AM
egon angie as sherlock holmes and muppie as her sidekick watson?

start investigating i say!
08-21-03 07:39 PM
Angiegirl I like a good conspiracy theory, yes I do! And I think there's more to it like Mathijs said, the other stuff besides Mick's throat is too obvious. Hmmmm...arguments? legal problems? fights? serious illness? Will have to look into it.
[Edited by Angiegirl]
08-22-03 05:24 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat Sherlock Angie
08-22-03 09:13 AM
Factory Girl Moon-is-upie, why the 19th show That bad??? Details,please.
08-22-03 09:17 AM
Moonisup cos keith fucked up many songs, I could not hear that many guitars. And mick was not that good, I was just bored, and that's not good. I believe that a lot peepz had a great time, but I think when you know the stonessongs by heart, it's easily to hear when they screw up, adn they did, it was a nice setlist though