ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Lynn Goldsmith
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones on BBC1 Return to archive
08-19-03 02:59 AM
Hannalee This coming Sunday, 24/8, BBC1 is showing The One and Only Rolling Stones, which appears to consist of interviews with everybody except the Stones. However, to quote the blurb, "of course the programme is stuffed full of archive footage and clips of all their great songs".

Oops; forgot to say it's on at 10.15/22.15 BST.

[Edited by Hannalee]
08-19-03 09:12 AM
Zeeta Thanks mate - looking forward to it!
Where you @ in UK then?
08-19-03 01:09 PM
Gazza > "of course the programme is stuffed full of archive footage and clips of all their great songs".

if theyre relying on BBC archive footage it will be a damn short show as the Beeb only have about five songs from 60's BBC shows still in their archives...and if thats the case, you can bet it will be the usual suspects of "not fae away" (64),"the last time" (65), "lets spend the night together" (67), "honky tonk women" (69) and "brown sugar" (71) - almost all of which are actually taken from re-broadcasts from "Top of the Pops" Christmas specials as the original broadcasts were wiped.

Oh,yeah they still should have the great version of "Gimme shelter" from "pop go the 60's" (31.12.69) (recorded 12.12.69 - same day as HTW) as they rebroadcast THAT special on 31.12.99 - but theyve probably lost that too!
08-20-03 05:13 AM
Hannalee
quote:
Zeeta wrote:
Thanks mate - looking forward to it!
Where you @ in UK then?

Reading. But I'm not speaking to you

VIVAT REGINA
08-20-03 08:33 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Hannalee wrote:

Reading. But I'm not speaking to you

VIVAT REGINA

VIVAT CALCULUS (?)

HaHAHA!
Yeah but at least they are better than The Darkness!
I'm in Leeds mate - getting my lungs out!
08-21-03 04:53 AM
Beatle Neil Zeeta wrote : I'm in Leeds mate - getting my lungs out.

Really? Oh dear, how long will you be in surgery with such a drastic & major operation? I've heard of people getting their tonsils out but this time the NHS has really surpassed itself!! The sound of the ambulance is ringin' in my ear already....get well soon!

'Leeds lungs' (Leeds Uni 13/3/71) contains easily the definitive version of 'Dead flowers' for my money.

Hey - Help here people - was there EVER a Stones gig recorded in Liverpool?? I have Liverpool appearances by Jimi, Dylan and the Beatles (ALL at the Empire) and I've seen enough photo's of the Stones in Liverpool in the 60's, some outside the Cavern, but have never come across any Stones in Liverpool......et tu, anyone??
[Edited by Beatle Neil]
[Edited by Beatle Neil]
08-21-03 05:35 AM
swapwoodfortaylor Wonderful EP Got Live If You Want It might be the nearest. London Liverpool and Manchester. Van got nicked in Liverpool. They had to walk home. They never went back.
08-21-03 08:02 AM
Jeremy Beadles Hand
quote:
Gazza wrote:
> "of course the programme is stuffed full of archive footage and clips of all their great songs".

if theyre relying on BBC archive footage it will be a damn short show as the Beeb only have about five songs from 60's BBC shows still in their archives...and if thats the case, you can bet it will be the usual suspects of "not fae away" (64),"the last time" (65), "lets spend the night together" (67), "honky tonk women" (69) and "brown sugar" (71) - almost all of which are actually taken from re-broadcasts from "Top of the Pops" Christmas specials as the original broadcasts were wiped.

Oh,yeah they still should have the great version of "Gimme shelter" from "pop go the 60's" (31.12.69) (recorded 12.12.69 - same day as HTW) as they rebroadcast THAT special on 31.12.99 - but theyve probably lost that too!

I've got on video some old episodes of Ready Steady Go from the 60's with them playing paint it black on one show and something else (don't know what it's called - sorry) on another. Was this not a BBC show? Just out of interest...
08-21-03 04:47 PM
Gazza Ready Steady Go was broadcast on ITV, not BBC

many of the best Stones live performances (especially from 65-66 when it went "live" and did away with the lip synching) are easy to find - see our setlists page for broadcast info.

several of them were re-broadcast on Channel 4 in the mid 80's after Dave Clark (of "Dave Clark Five" fame) bought the rights to them. They still pop up from time to time.
08-21-03 05:10 PM
Jen D BBC listings info -

"The One And Only Rolling Stones
Sun 24 Aug, 10:15 pm - 11:15 pm 60mins

They are, quite simply, the greatest rock and roll band of all time; and forty extraordinary years after they began, The Stones are still rolling. This weekend they will pack out Twickenham rugby stadium as they start the last leg of a world tour comprising over 100 sell-out shows from Bangalore to Barcelona.

Beginning on a train platform in Dartford 43 years ago, where two young students called Michael Jagger and Keith Richards compared record collections, and ending on stage in Milan at this year's triumphant Forty Licks tour, this is the definitive account of forty years of sex, drugs, controversy, confrontation, and timeless rock and roll music from one of the few true legendary bands still around.

A glittering cast of friends, family and fans old and new - including Jade Jagger, Marianne Faithfull, Ronnie Spector, Bono, Pierce Brosnan, Jamiroquai, Lenny Kravitz, Courtney Love, Mario Testino, Ike Turner, The White Stripes, Wyclef Jean and Sir Jimmy Saville - queue up to explain how and why four boys from the home counties have come to mean so much to so many for so long.

Contains strong language."

and the radio times has a Stones V Beatles feature with a cover for each group.
08-22-03 04:17 AM
Jeremy Beadles Hand [quote]Gazza wrote:
Ready Steady Go was broadcast on ITV, not BBC

Cheers man. Appreciated.
08-22-03 06:00 AM
Hannalee
quote:
Zeeta wrote:

VIVAT CALCULUS (?)

Integral or differential?

VIVANT CALCULI - which isn't really right as it should be metaphorical rather than literal, but at least it's plural.

I see your heroes did well in the Kerrang! awards...
mwahahaha.
08-22-03 08:16 AM
Zeeta Oh yeah!
I love The Darkness like I love piles!