ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Lynn Goldsmith
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith with Coldplay Return to archive Page: 1 2
08-19-03 05:42 PM
sammy davis jr. The fact you despise me JB couldn't make me happier. You seem to be the most self-centered, shallow person I've ever run across. Plus your'e a lawyer. It's a shame you couldn't have married the person you love the most- yourself. And really, don't pretend like you give two shits about Sammy.
08-19-03 05:48 PM
dealer squealing Hey pal!

Are you against Stonesfans that are lawyers?
08-19-03 06:41 PM
Gazza JB >: great..keep playing with your kids favorite band and further destroy your legacy...

you dont get it. Not surprisingly. What was that line Keith's always parroting "the greatest thing a musician can have on his tombstone is "I passed it on" " (ie like an Olympic torch).

the irony's obviously lost on you if you cant see that the Stones were in the same boat at that age,playing songs by and with people who influenced them. Maybe you think this music didnt exist until July 1962? I hate this fuckin' reverse snobbery that seems to suggest the Stones lower themselves if they play with anyone younger than them.. Do you honestly think Keith Richards gives a fuck about whats trendy and what isnt? Do you think Muddy Waters' kids thought he was lowering himself to play with people who he influenced? Utter bollocks.

maybe playin' with other people will make them get off their arses and actually CREATE something new.

Caro : it DID take place. A friend of mine was at it and was watching Coldplay's show and she told me Keith DID play. Dunno quite what, however!
08-19-03 10:06 PM
lonecrapshooter I like Cold Play - he's really good!
08-20-03 10:47 AM
jb Gazza, you make some good points. However, their apparent 'reaching out" to younger acts is a little too late. As you have often pointed out, if they wanted to reach a younger audience, ticket prices , or atleast more tickets, would be offered at reasonable prices. It seems to me a lot of what they do today is a half-hearted attempt to stay trendy...Regrettably, more often than not they look silly(Justin Timberlake, SFTD remix). I also think they really are out of touch with how poor their recent albums have been....they seem content to coast on reputation alone with no real passion...the fact that throughout the tour the sound has been horrible, Keith forgets opening chords to the point where it's not just being sloppy, but real incompetance, Ronnies drifting in and out of reality, etc, only adds to our frustration.
08-20-03 12:03 PM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:
Never liked his posts or his using the moniker of the great Mr. Bojangles...

jb, legally can I have Sammy in my avatar? Do I owe
his estate royalties? He died owing the IRS a shitload.
Will they come after me?

Do you do IRS work?
08-20-03 01:19 PM
jb Tele, I do not do any IRS work as tax law is quite specialized and I was never good with #'s. Sammy's heirs , absent their selling or assigning their rights, would probably have pecuniary interests in his image. It's just like the heirs of the 3 stooges, Groucho marx, Elvis, etc...However, since you would not be using his picture for commercial or monetary gain, it would be unlikely that they would come after you. However, I believe Nanker is more versed in this area of law and you should consult with him prior to using Sammy's image.
Lastly, yes, I have been very hard on the Stones as of late. This in no way diminishes my love or loyalty to them. However, one would have to be in complete denial to not see how significant their decline has become as of late...and their association with people like Justin and Coldplay only further diminishes their legacy or lack thereof.
08-20-03 03:00 PM
telecaster I hear ya jb on The Stones. It is because we expect so much and know what they are capable of that hurts

However, 2 of the shows I saw this tour were great and the guitars were loud and clear and good. 1 show (Comiskey)
was average. But I was blasted so maybe it was me

08-20-03 06:16 PM
caro Gazza : I'm sorry to insist on this one, but not only is my theory more enticing, it is also more logical than yours

I first thought Coldplay's show had been on sunday. Actually, it was on saturday, i.e. the day the Stones played in Utrecht.
Maybe your friend meant another show from V festival? On sunday, there was PJ Harvey, and I would feel much better about the whole story if he had duetted with her instead of Coldplay...
err..no, just kidding. As long as Keith feels the need to get on a stage WITHOUT being paid, that's a very good sign anyway.
08-20-03 07:21 PM
JaggaRichards
quote:
jb wrote:
great..keep playing with your kids favorite band and further destroy your legacy...

Well, he could become a lawyer.
Which would be worse???????
08-20-03 07:44 PM
Gazza >I first thought Coldplay's show had been on sunday. Actually, it was on saturday, i.e. the day the Stones played in Utrecht.
Maybe your friend meant another show from V festival? On sunday, there was PJ Harvey, and I would feel much better about the whole story if he had duetted with her instead of Coldplay...
err..no, just kidding. As long as Keith feels the need to get on a stage WITHOUT being paid, that's a very good sign anyway.

I'm not sure which V festival my friends went to. There are two however, a couple of days apart and in different locations - but with the same act on each bill. maybe it was the other one?
08-20-03 07:46 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
jb wrote:
Keith and Mick have become remarkably uncool as of late.

So has unnecessary Stones-bashing. Your opinion and 10 cents makes you 40 cents short of a local phone call.
08-21-03 08:10 AM
Zeeta Are you sure this happened? I can't find any information about this *anywhere*!
Got any links?
08-21-03 08:30 AM
Moonisup IF keith played with coldplay, that would be cool. I like those guys, who are btw stonesfans.
I only hope that keith didn't throw in to much slurs and to many leg-kicks....
08-21-03 12:54 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
JaggaRichards wrote:

Well, he could become a lawyer.
Which would be worse???????

Definitely gotta go with a lawyer here.
08-21-03 02:32 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Will all three be like the Smashing Pumpkins this time next year? Bet the ranch. Pop the duece.<

If the Stripeys are gone next year, it will be because Jack can't play any longer. I just read where he has to have more surgery. They have to re-break the finger. There is a very good possibility that he may not regain full use and mobility of that finger. That is a crying shame. Jack White was/is the great white hope(pun intended)of rock n roll.

Coldplay bites butt nuggets. I don't like "mope" rock. Why? Because it doesn't rock. Rock music should make you want to fuck and fight...not drive your car off a cliff.

As for "passing it on"...I'm all for it. Someone needs to do it, no one better than the Stones. But couldn't they pick some decent talent to "pass it on" to? Justin and Coldplay? Eeeeeeeewwwwwww. Icky-poo.

08-21-03 02:57 PM
Sir Stonesalot >I also thought Elephant, the Stripes's latest, was a little too 'one note' for me <

I would like to hear you explain the "one note" thing. This is easily the Stripes most diverse album to date. You got your garage punk songs(Black Math, Girl You Have No Faith...), you got nasty blues(Ball & Biscuit), you got lilting ballads(I Wanna Be The Boy...,You've Got Her In Your Pocket), a bizzare cover(I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself), straight up rock n roll(7 Nation Army, There's No Home, The Hardest Button, Little Acorns), even a silly novelty song!(Well It's True That We Love One Another).

Exactly how much variation does one need to have to avoid being "one note"?
08-21-03 04:09 PM
Hand of Fate According to a couple of people on the coldplay board who went to all the V shows Keef didnt play with them.
08-21-03 04:36 PM
Gazza thats correct. just got off the phone to my friends and they were too far back to see if he did,but were surprised when they read it in the paper. The concert was saturday night so he couldnt possibly have been there.
08-21-03 04:55 PM
caro Hi Hand of fate! Actually, I did start that thread on coldplay.com

Well, at least, i've learnt a few things about coldplay-fans this way :

-they seem to like the Stones : actually, I don't think a fan of Coldplay would consider they destroy their legacy if they played with Keef, for instance.
-they are creative : one of the thread-titles on their board was "post a pic of the person you wanna shag the most". (strangely enough, nobody posted a pic of Chris Martin. Which also shows that Coldplay-fans respect their band.)
-On Coldplay.com, you can learn about fair trade. On rs.com, you can learn how to become a member for 50$ a year. Assholes!
Page: 1 2