ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Lynn Goldsmith
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith with Coldplay Return to archive Page: 1 2
08-18-03 10:46 AM
sandrew Here's the link (scroll down). Anyone know more about this? What did he play? How'd he get hooked up with those guys?
http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/
08-18-03 11:01 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Gross. Coldplay is power-pop tripe. Tape loops and dumb hooks a-go-go. I hope that ain't true. They're a few steps up from Justin Timberfuck, because at least they play some of their own instruments, but they still fall squarely into the "whiny" category.

-tSYX --- When iiiiiiiiiiiii was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse...
08-18-03 11:07 AM
Zeeta
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
Gross. Coldplay is power-pop tripe. Tape loops and dumb hooks a-go-go. I hope that ain't true.

Beige music!
08-18-03 11:33 AM
jb Keith and Mick have become remarkably uncool as of late.
08-18-03 11:35 AM
Mathijs Coldplay is the best band the emerge out of the UK since Radiohead.

Mathijs
08-18-03 11:53 AM
sandrew Mathijs -- I think Coldplay has a ways to go before reaching Radiohead status, but the comparison is warranted, I agree.

My favorite band to come out of the U.K. recently, however, is the White Stripes -- by way of Detroit
08-18-03 03:45 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
My favorite band to come out of the U.K. recently, however, is the White Stripes -- by way of Detroit

That's very percepteive, Sandrew. I quite like Coldplay too. I confess I bought their album A Rush of Blood to the Head last year, when Mick named it as one of the recent albums he liked. Also bought White Stripes, of course, Keith and Charlie's choice!
08-18-03 06:44 PM
Gazza yes, Keith did play with them at the V Festival in Chelmsford....I'm quite surprised as I didnt know of any link ora dmiration he had with them plus its the 3rd night in a row hes played and its in the middle of the Dutch "run".

I hope he's still in the mood for guest appearances next Thursday night at the 100 Club! or is it too much to expect him to do one in front of STONES fans??
08-18-03 06:47 PM
sammy davis jr. Coldplay's a GREAT band- If'n you think they're even remotely "Timberlake" material, you obviously don't know shit...no offense.
08-18-03 06:58 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
Coldplay's a GREAT band- If'n you think they're even remotely "Timberlake" material, you obviously don't know shit...no offense.

"In My Place"... I rest my case.

I dunno. I just don't like them. Really don't like them. I also thought Elephant, the Stripes's latest, was a little too 'one note' for me to work, although I do enjoy "Girl, You Have No Faith In Medicine", and I'm a big fan of some traks offa White Blood Cells. So make of that what you will. Remember, sammy, Timberlakiness is in the eye of the beholder.

-tSYX --- I was lost, ohhh yeah...
08-18-03 07:06 PM
Miss U. I like Coldplay.
08-18-03 08:04 PM
Nellcote You all that have got this 'tude about Keith playing with this group, that he's lost his way, etc. You guys DON'T
get the program.

The Stones are all about throwing a bone to up and coming acts, always have, always will. Even throwing a bone to acts who may be down on their luck, to give 'em a rocket upward. I for one have never heard of Coldplay, whateva?
I'll probably go find some now, just for the fact that Keith did. Or when Jagger played with the Red Devils, picked up their cd, play it once a month, wicked pissa! Just like I found Furry Lewis in '75, or Prince in '81, or Living Colour in '89, or Stevie Wonder in '72. One way or another, some Stone got these folks some extra gigs, which is what it's all about.
I Wanna Be Your Man, we all know who sang it first, because the insect band thru it at 'em!
Part of being a musician who cares about musicians.

Plus, Keith probably scores major parental points with those two lovely's he has as daughters, which is not a bad thing, IMHO.

Let HIM GO!
08-18-03 08:25 PM
sirmoonie Who the hell is Coldplay?

Who the hell is Radiohead?

Are they like the White Stripes?

Will all three be like the Smashing Pumpkins this time next year? Bet the ranch. Pop the duece.
08-18-03 09:13 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Nellcote -

Yeah. I dig. I like the fact that all four Stones have at one time or another given a hand to some up-and-coming guys. I just don't always like their choices. And that's natural. No one said being a fan of the Stones meant that you had to like every band they did. I happen not to like Coldplay, just as I happen to like some of McCartney's stuff, who I know almost everyone here despises.

On principle? Thumbs up, go Keith!
Could he have picked a better band, maybe like with what Jagger did with the Red Devils? You betcha.

It's not like Coldplay needs Keith Richards to make them more popular with their fanbase. But hey, if Keith likes 'em, that's fine. I'm just saying "euugh. Why them?" from my perspective.

-tSYX --- let's go, let's go, let's go let's go, down to Junior's farm where I can lay low...
08-18-03 09:27 PM
Nellcote TSYX, yeah, y'all caught my drift. WTF, to be in the mind of Keith is to get all of it. Again, I've not a clue on this band, so I'll get some. You do know Keith would want you to be part of the Army, and get it all, correct? Even the Aretha period, yes? I'm getting fed all of my kids stuff, which ranges from System of A Down to Avril, however, they get my dose of Stones-Muddy-J Geils-Foghat-Sonny Boy-Rockin Sidney-Terry Reid now and then, so the circle keeps round. They caught The Concert for NY,Stones HBO, so they know the old guard keeps giving.

Someone really needs to get to Keith about Coldplay, find out his take, maybe he thought it was rubbish, he seems like not one to hold back, (ask Elton John)

08-18-03 09:39 PM
souldoggie No one cares, or even knows, that Keith played with Coldplay (whoever the hell they are) except this board and some others.

Here's how I see it, and why I'm happy:
Not only is Keith alive and rocking.....he's even jumping on stage at clubs, on tour in Europe, 2003.
We're all real lucky, even Keith. God bless him.
08-18-03 10:22 PM
sammy davis jr. Xyzzy- You're right....basically music is all subjective. I happen to think Coldplay has loads of talent and great songwriting- but if it doesn't connect with you, then it doesn't connect. I do consider them somewhat Radiohead-Light....but hey, there are worse things a band could sound like. I do appreciate a young whippersnapper such as yourself diggin' on the old men of rock.
08-18-03 10:45 PM
full moon Coldplay is great. As is Radiohead. Some of you need to move out of the 70's and get a fucking clue.....
08-19-03 02:43 AM
Jumacfly Radiohead is my nightmare...I rather seeing Sepultura in the first row than listening their record (even a single!!!)
08-19-03 04:17 AM
dealer squealing HEY!
WHAT did he play? What song?
08-19-03 09:41 AM
jb I despise coldplay and Sammy Davis Jr...
08-19-03 09:53 AM
Factory Girl sammy davis jr. is not in coldplay...lol.
08-19-03 10:06 AM
jb Never liked his posts or his using the moniker of the great Mr. Bojangles...
08-19-03 12:37 PM
prism
Coldplay is Keith's daughter Alex's favorite band.
08-19-03 12:55 PM
jb great..keep playing with your kids favorite band and further destroy your legacy...
08-19-03 02:06 PM
gypsy Keith is only trying to "pass it on."
08-19-03 02:27 PM
Factory Girl I think Keith is trying to "tie one on".
08-19-03 03:32 PM
Monkey Woman Nellcote said:
quote:
WTF, to be in the mind of Keith is to get all of it.

Amen, brother!

I think it's actually cool, for the Stones to have a soft spot for younger acts. Especially when it's not "Stonesy" ones and thence not "easy" for the fans. That takes cojones, so to speak!!!

P.S. Did someone else notice the Coldplay tune in the selection of songs played between the support band set and the Stones' arrival? Maybe their hit 'Politik', or is it 'Clocks'? That tape's an interesting choice, anyway. In Paris and Marseille, at least, it began with Johnny Cash's 'Hurt' and went on with lots of Blues and Soul, even a little reggae. I don't know if they change the selection at some time in the tour.
08-19-03 03:43 PM
caro
I've browsed all message boards about the festival and about Coldplay, and nobody over there even mentions Keith. So there's two possibilities :

1.those people were all sleeping after the second song

2.IT NEVER HAPPENED! YEAH!

(hope we won't have to use this trick too often)
08-19-03 04:04 PM
caro BTW, Monkey Woman, I agree it's rather funny to have opening acts that don't fit in the Stones 'style'. Did you hear a strange album that's been aired surprinsingly often in France..it's called Scala on the rocks : a choir of young girls covering rock songs, ranging from Nirvana to Indochine It sounds completely angelic (a little morbid too) but not bad...
At the Stade de France show, we wondered what it would have been like if they had opened instead of Stereophonics. It would have been a blast to see the audience's reaction
Page: 1 2