ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Lynn Goldsmith
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Exile Promo Return to archive
08-17-03 01:09 PM
L&A Hi !

I've just heard on radio a promotional floppy disk for Exile on Main Street with Mick playing piano and introducing all songs from the LP, in a kind of boogie...
Has someone more info about that ?

Thanks
08-17-03 01:18 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy It's called "Exile On Main Street Blues". There are two versions of it that I have. The first version, the original, is very bad sound quality and pretty much just the piano and Mick, who slips in as many song names as he can to the song as he goes.

The second version starts out the same way, but right before Mick gets into introducing the songs, the tape shifts into playing short clips from Exile songs in quick succession. Then it goes back to Mick, who finishes it off with the lines "Exile on Main Street, it's a strange street to walk down, Exile on Main Street, it's a low down dirty ground." (I actually think the last word is "crime", but Keno lists it as "ground".)

-tSYX --- Yeah, heard the diesel drummin'... all down the line!
08-20-03 11:20 PM
Beatle Neil Hi....this appears to be the freebie flexi-disc, hence the scratchy 'acetate' sound to it, given away with copies of NME (UK music magazine) in 1972 (obviously, duh..)

Indeed featuring Mick J. playing piano /singing on record before 'Hide your love' and featuring clips from 'All down the line'/'Tumbling dice'/'Shine a light' & 'Happy. Apparently it also featured cuts by Fanny & Curved Air for some reason....and amazingly, is only worth about 12 quid or so if ya can find one.

I've heard MUCH worse sound quality things than the copy I have of it on a b**tleg called 'Out-takes 70-75'.

They could have added it as a bonus CD track, but this is one album that doesn't need tampering with.

UK JOURNO : "D'ya not think 'Tumbling dice' is a bit slow?"
KEEF : "What, on the record? No see, that's the perfect tempo. You try to hot that one up and you lose the flow."
(1994)
[Edited by Beatle Neil]
08-21-03 12:08 AM
Jaxx the savage1 gives a great answer. i too have this interesting melange on my exile revisited boot. and yes, its a bit hard on the ears, but an interesting medley of exile on mainstreet tunes nonetheless.