ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Lynn Goldsmith
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAŅOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Vredenburg,Utrecht 16/8 - setlist,pics and reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2
08-16-03 05:30 PM
Gazza Setlist so far - thanks to Angiegirl for the text message:

Jumpin Jack Flash
Live with me
Hand of fate
no Expectations
Worried about you
Saint Of Me
It's Only rock 'n' Roll
Dance (Pt 1)
Everybody needs somebody to love
Thats How strong my love Is
Goin' To A Go-Go
thief in the night
Happy
Cant turn you loose
Cant you hear me knockin'

Comments : "Ronnie's great - Keef not really!"
First performance of "Saint of me" since Cologne 20.6.99 - and if I'm not mistaken, "thief in the night" too

apologies for earlier stating the venue is The Hague..it is of course Utrecht! Thanks to those of you who pointed it out! I was in too much of a hurry to post the setlist!

08-16-03 05:32 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy To repeat.

Oh yeah... oh yeah... oh yeah... you'll nevah make a saint of me... like a thief in the night?

Man, this show's quite killer.

Go Ronnie go! Go! Ronnie B. Goode!

-tSYX --- I can't turn ya loose now, 'cuz I love ya baby, pretty thing...
08-16-03 06:00 PM
Gazza final setlist:

Jumpin Jack Flash
Live with me
Hand of fate
no Expectations
Worried about you
Saint Of Me
It's Only rock 'n' Roll
Dance (Pt 1)
Everybody needs somebody to love
Thats How strong my love Is
Goin' To A Go-Go
thief in the night
Happy
Cant turn you loose
Cant you hear me knockin'
Start me up
Tumbling Dice
Brown sugar ("Oh my god - awful!!" according to angie..lol)
satisfaction (encore)

thanks to Angiegirl, who adds :
"not the best club show at all but good."
08-16-03 06:04 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Fucking great show!
08-16-03 06:08 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Well, certainly one of the best setlists so far. Not quite Roseland, but pretty damn good.

Let's hear the reviews!

-tSYX --- I gotta gotta gotta *bah dah dah dah dahdahdah-dahhh dah..."...
08-16-03 08:07 PM
Moonisup GREAT SHOW

untill the last 2 songs

HOW THE HELL CAn they do Satisfaction in a club, yes we know, it was filmed

Brown sugar: HORRIBLE!
08-16-03 09:14 PM
Mathijs In short: the best fan-f ucking-tastic show I have ever wittnessed. Simple as that. And y'all know I can be critical at times -. I have never seen the Stones perform with such enthusiasm and energy. No big mistakes accept for BS, no glitches, Ronnie was spot-on, Keith was alive and kicking, Jagger was best ever, even better than Olympia. Two small criticisms: why Thief and not Nearness (the crowd was waiting for it), and the stones had given it all before BS and satisfaction, so these were quite lame. But who cares.

Jagger picked up a girl from the crowd, about 5 meters away from me. It was a beautiful south american looking girl, and Mick was staring at her for a couple of songs. He then mouths "gimme your phone number" to her, and two songs later she throws her number at him. He picks it up quickly, goes to the back of the amps, and about three minutes later the girl is picked out of the audience by two guys with headphones. Mick is going to see some flash tonight!

Mathijs
08-16-03 09:43 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
thanks to Angiegirl, who adds :
"not the best club show at all but good."

Well...in the heat of the moment. I thought Olympia was better, but maybe that was more special for me because of the ticket-chase and all the songs for the first time.

All in all, now I'm home, actually when I was in the train, I have come to the conclusion that it was a very good show. I dunno if it was the best, but it was great. Still, Olympia meant more to me, but that's just personal.

Had a great time today altogether and tonight was great, wild crowd! Couldn't hear Keef all the time very well, at least I heared Ronnie much better and Darryl was very loud.
All is said about BS . It was special.

More tomorrow...
08-16-03 09:53 PM
Angiegirl Fucking great show, more tomorrow after some sleep.

Mark (at Angiegirl's comp)
08-17-03 01:18 AM
midnightmagic way to go Mick-she must be "dynomite".
08-17-03 01:52 AM
Maxmeister
quote:
midnightmagic wrote:
way to go Mick-she must be "dynomite".

Yeah, one must always have priorities. Go Mick!

I would give serious thought to giving my left AND my right to see this gig. Fantastic!!!

Rick
08-17-03 05:52 AM
egon if even mathijs says it was fantastic, it must have been one hell of a show!!!

so mathijs, are you gonna save up for the next tour...?
08-17-03 05:53 AM
coowouters Still shaking )))))))))

08-17-03 07:04 AM
TAA Last night was a killer for me... Possibly the last show for me of this tour; I couldn't have wished for a more satisfying one...
08-17-03 07:16 AM
Moonisup Hand of fate ROCKED
08-17-03 07:55 AM
magicwoman wow i am soo jealous wish i could be there to.But no tix :-(
08-17-03 08:20 AM
albert This was the best show I've ever, ever seen the Stones perform.
This was the best audience I've ever, ever been into.

What a day, a day I will always remember!!

I'm not going into the details because I ejoyed the show too much to listen/look at details:
I saw and heard my favourite band of all times in the greatest shape I could hope for and now this will be my greatest memory of all times!

Albert
Holland
08-17-03 08:39 AM
rolling___bunny ANGIEGIRL>>>>> STOP COMPARE SHOWS!!!!! WHAT DO U WANT? U Wanna have LASER STONES? So everyshow is the same. Tjee STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT!
08-17-03 10:36 AM
coowouters OK, where should I start???????
It all began last year when I scored 2 tix with a friend's creditcard through RS.com. (Used mine for the Astoria tix).
Later, I had a discussion with ticketservice.nl over a FOS ticket for the 19th (tomorrow!) and to make a long story short, that resulted in TS.nl offering me aVredenburg ticket. Sold my "guest" ticket to a friend and had my own ticket a couple of days later
(Having a good lawyer helps )
So, I arrived at the venue around 9:30 AM, picked up my two wristbands and got a briefing on do's and dont's. Went to the line at the entrance, let them put down my name and I got number 84, so from that moment on, I was pretty much free to go for a bite, a beer, a visit to "Stairway To Heaven" and be back to see the Stones arrive. Sir Mick in his long white limousine, the others a little earlier in "normal" cars or vans. Doors were supposed to open at 6:45pm, but I guess they suddenly opened at 6 pm. Everything was VERY well organized, I was in the first group of about 100 fans to get inside. They used a system to let people in in blocks of hundred and that worked out great. Once inside, we were asked to sit down in a small hall, were we got another briefing (NO running, pushing or we would have to go outside and start lining up again). Then we slowly made our way through security where we were bodysearched, metal detector and were I met the security guy who almost threw me out of the Ahoy the night before, so I got an extra search (we're engaged now :lol )
I got through and found myself a nice little spot 2nd row at this (very) small extension of the stage. Met a couple of people I knew through the net only and, as I am still suffering from some injuries from my days in the Balkans, they made sure that my spot was secured so I could go to the lobby to sit, doing some stretching and so on.
But a certain moment, I was in the lobby again when the opening band started, and, because it was pretty dark, I didn't risk to go down the steep steps, and stayed untill the lights went on again after those guys were done. (was it Vue, or something?) Anyway, from what I could see, the singer did a nice job cleaning the floor by rolling over the stage).
People where so nice to let me though to my spot, that was safely guarded by a coalition of German, Dutch and American fans
Then the long wait started. The Stones were scheduled to start at 9:30, but we had to wait untill 10 before we heard the announcement. Meanwhile, a guy from security came buy to ask us not to try to grab Mick's legs when he was coming to the front, and I have to say that this INCREDIBLE crowd was able to leave Mick with his trousers on for the whole show
And, we were soooooo close, I'm 1.90 meters, but I had to look up to see Mick's face when he came over to our spot, his feet only inches away!
AND THE REST IS HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All the energy that was apparently carefully held back during previous shows, now erupted!
From the opening riff of JJF to the moment where Ronnie placed his guitar, that was still producing sound, on the stage at the end of "Satisfaction", we went through the BEST performance ever!!!!
I am not going into detail on every song, just some (personal) highlights in a concert that gave us 18.5 hightlights (BS had an opening you won't hear on any official record ).
Hand of fate...Djeez!!!!
No Expectations ....BEAUTIFULL, first tears on my cheeks!
Worried about You..... Troathproblems? Who? certainly not Sir Mick!!!!!! He was really going to the limit!!!!!
Saint Of Me... Nice surprise, brought extremely well and ended in a great sing a long from the crowd!
IORR, again, crowd singing louder than Mick
Dance..... you had to hear it yourself
That's How Strong My love Is....unreal, touching; Mick opened his heart to us
Going To A Gogo.... We were at a Gogo!!!!! Crowd still wild, jumping, handclapping, singing along
Thief In The Night... Keith leaning on his guitar, singing for us from the bottom of his heart! (he said before how great the venue was and that he wanted to fold it up and taking it with him )
Happy... YES, we AND the boys, were happy and it showed on all faces
Can't You Hear Me Knocking.... This version will go in the history books!!!!!!! Bobby, Mick, RONNIE kicking MT back to the sixties!!!!!!
Start me Up : Crowd jumping, singing, the boys grinning having a great time, Mick pouring water over the first rows....
Tumbling Dice....great!
A messy start of BS, and then, after the encore (Satisfaction), it was over ............
Greatest moment of the night (and I stole this sentence from Bjornulf on IORR, but he puts it so great!!!!) :QUOTE: After one song where Ronnie had given another brilliant performance, Mick went to put his arm around Ronnie's shoulder, as they faced Charlie, talking about it. Then Keith came along and put his arm around Mick. They all three stood there arm in arm talking about the song, facing Charlie, with the back to us, and you could hear a sweet gently "aaaah" going through the crowd as we all fell in love with that image of "our boys". UNQUOTE

Can't write no more.....

Take care you all!
08-17-03 10:58 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat Well, what more is there to say about Vredenburg?
The crowd was amazing; best crowd ever. But hey, we are the Dutch!!

The show was fantastic; Hand of fate and No Expectations were a lot better then at the Olympia. I've been comparing the shows in bed last night, but still don't no which one is the best. Olympia was very special, cos it was my first club show. In fact, I don't even care which was the best.

I'm very tired now after 4 shows in one week. Gotta work tomorrow, but my mind is still in Utrecht.

Great to meet Rooster; we will meet him again in Amsterdam tomorrow night.
08-17-03 11:39 AM
hayo Great show!!
Highlights for me were:
That's how strong my love is (fantastic performance by Mick)
Dance (great long version whit nice percussion in the middle)
Can't you hear me knocking (Bobby Keys great solo, Mick's harmonica solo was awesome)
Hand of fate.

Ronnie overall good, especially his slidework on No Expectations and Happy. His solo in CYHMN was okay.
Keith was sometimes sloppy and was certainly not on his best tonight.(Saint of me and Brown Sugar come to mind)
Charly was fantastic and Mick gave an excellent performance
tonight.
08-17-03 12:57 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Looks like security was pretty tight.

Is there any chance of us being able to yell "Tree this fucker!!!!!!"

-tSYX --- I know where your place is...
08-17-03 01:00 PM
Moonisup I was asked by a security guy to come with him, he said I was taping the show!!!! I was just calling with me parents, and he said that that was taping too, the stupid fucker, I told him to look at my phone to the last called number, well that was my home. He said: don't do it again or else you're out! hahaha. WEll he was very tense, his handswhere shaking when he held my phone, so he knew he had the wrong guy. i think he wanted to look good with his boss, he can't cos he a fuck face, but ok,
08-17-03 01:56 PM
rolling___bunny But where does that rumor come from anyway...can i start a new rumor now by saying they will Vredenburg again at the end of the european tour>? Its true...somebody close to me told me that when i was at the Amstel hotel.
08-17-03 02:00 PM
Moonisup they won't do vredenburg anymore,

for sure,

the sound of keith's guitar ws WAY to low by the way,
during the encore the only thing I heard was Brass, Bass and chuck
08-17-03 03:59 PM
LadyJane :QUOTE: After one song where Ronnie had given another brilliant performance, Mick went to put his arm around Ronnie's shoulder, as they faced Charlie, talking about it. Then Keith came along and put his arm around Mick. They all three stood there arm in arm talking about the song, facing Charlie, with the back to us, and you could hear a sweet gently "aaaah" going through the crowd as we all fell in love with that image of "our boys". UNQUOTE

Oh thanks, Chris....now I'm sitting here crying!! Good tears, though. I don't care how many times I have to say it...I love this band and we are SO LUCKY that they are still at it after all this time.

Sounds like a show you and the others in attendance will never forget. I'm so happy for all of you.

LadyJ.

08-17-03 03:59 PM
luxury1 Oh christ. THis sounds like the show!!
I have seen Mick pick up a chippie before also. He is very blatant about it. I just love it. Makes him more human or something like that.
And the fuck up at the start of Brown SUgar!! The impassioned Jagger, you could (somewhat) hear the guitars, and well, Charlie was there too.
Ahh,,,, all the basic Rolling Stones Show elements were in place I see. I cant wait for this boot.

08-17-03 04:01 PM
Moonisup VERY GREAT crowd

only 1 thing was very cool,

at the encore, satisfaction, the crowd was more quiet!
08-17-03 04:02 PM
LadyJane Not very clear, but we get the idea!!!

LadyJ.

PS Thanks for the e-mail, Lux. Really appreciate the kind words!!
[Edited by LadyJane]
08-17-03 04:45 PM
Monkey Woman Thanks for the great reviews, and to LJ for the pic! Almost makes me feel as if I was there... *Sigh*
Page: 1 2