ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Twickenham Rugby Ground, London 20th August
© Leon Neal with special thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: prog rock appreciation thread Return to archive
21st August 2006 11:01 PM
Lethargy Come on, you know you're out there. The Rolling Stones are your favorite band ever, and blues-based rock and roll is your favorite genre, but you also dig the following bands:

Yes
Genesis
King Crimson
Rush

These are my four favs. Notice how I did NOT include ELP or any "prog-metal" bands like Queensryche, which are terrible.

By the way, pre-emptively, f--k off SWAY! I know you hate anything remotely resembling these bands. You're not invited to this thread
21st August 2006 11:23 PM
Dan Queensryche was great up until 1988, then merely good, then, well...

Not much into prop but wouldn't you know it this thread pops up as soon as I stick a Jethro Tull tape in the player. Not that I am into Jethro Tull but I found this tape in my garage. I wanted The Who part (Boulder '82) but its preceded by the Jethro Tull so I decided to listen to it and put it to disc rather than FFW through and try to find The Who. Not as bad as I was afraid it was going to be. Guitar sounds good even if Ian Andersons voice grates on me.

Wait - they were prog, right?
21st August 2006 11:41 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Do you know that Rocks off hosts websites for the following:

For me one of the best live acts in terms of music is King Crimson, The stones must follow the example of Peter Gabriel that does not live from the past and his tours always have most of the songs of his last album and that in recent tours he never play songs from his Genesis period.

Progressive rock is for high-minded people, the music, the lyrics the atmosphere, live is something hard to define

I recently booked Tony Levin and I'm working with Tangerine Dream and Porcupine Tree between others. Mexico is a paradise for progressive rock and the local bands are a great mixture between sike-ay-delia and progressive, really high

Mick Taylor recorded for a progressive band. Does anybody here know which one? Hint: It's a crazy band, specially live another combination of progressive psychedelia

My bands:

King Crimson and relatives (Emerson, Lake and Palmer, UK, Sylvian and Fripp, McDonalds and Giles, 21st Century Schizoid Band)

Genesis (specially the Peter Gabriel period), Steve Hackett

Yes

Pink Floyd

Greenslade, Banco,
I have interviewd or had casual conversation with many of them including John Wetton, Carl Palmer, Steve Hackett, Tony Levin, Adrian Belew, Thijs Van Leer, Shaun Baxter and some more

22nd August 2006 12:04 AM
keefjunkie i love prog
22nd August 2006 11:25 AM
MrPleasant Steve Hackett is very good, also. Spectral Morning's "Every Day" is practically a masterpiece.
22nd August 2006 11:30 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Lethargy wrote:

By the way, pre-emptively, f--k off SWAY! I know you hate anything remotely resembling these bands. You're not invited to this thread

hopefully I will also not be invited to your Dungeons & Dragons appreciation thread
22nd August 2006 12:06 PM
Factory Girl prog or pdog?

22nd August 2006 12:13 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
prog or pdog?

Yeah, it's confusing. And to add more salt to the collective wound:

22nd August 2006 01:39 PM
lotsajizz I love anything Fripp does, especially King Crimson, but HATE Rush, Genesis, ELP, Yes, and that shit!!
22nd August 2006 01:59 PM
Sir Stonesalot Death before Prog!

Yeah great, yer a virtuoso...a maestro. Color me impressed...now, quit fucking diddling around and fucking ROCK already!!

C'mon, I got a short attention span, quit with the self-absorbed noodling around...get to the goddamned point...if there is one. Who can tell with the dumbass obtuse lyrics.

I think we should have a Prog Rocker hunting season. No kill limit. Sometimes extinction is a good thing....
22nd August 2006 02:40 PM
Scottfree Prague is a great city....
22nd August 2006 02:53 PM
Jair I have 1 (ONE) Yes album, that one there is a naked man in the cover (Hes showing his butt, not the cock.)

It is a very good album, IMO.

I heard it last time about 20 yrs ago. Use to be good.

I think the name is "going for the one", which, btw, is one of the songs that I like.

Nothing more. Wait! I have also a Robert Fripp album, which I like, but I cant say if is prog. God save the king, i think the title is...I remeber the bassist is a woman...Sarah Lee (?!) and she kicks ass, besides be pretty hot ass. Love those dyke types.

22nd August 2006 03:03 PM
UGot2Rollme back in the day (or should I say daze)I used to be quite fond of Yes and was heavily into Rush's All the World's a Stage album. Of course, I was getting stoned every day then, too... I still have time for Rush, but generally just say no to Yes.
22nd August 2006 11:46 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Jair wrote:
Nothing more. Wait! I have also a Robert Fripp album, which I like, but I cant say if is prog. God save the king, i think the title is...I remeber the bassist is a woman...Sarah Lee (?!) and she kicks ass, besides be pretty hot ass. Love those dyke types.

In fact you have two-half-albums , yes, Fripp is some kind of special guy LOL. One half album is "God Save the Queen" and it's "Frippertronics" and it has no Sarah Lee (not the cake-maker LOL) and the second half-album is "Under Heavy Manners" and this is "Discotronics" and the singer is David Byrne (Talking Heads) cover by Chris Stein (Blondie)
23rd August 2006 01:13 AM
not bound to please
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

Yeah, it's confusing. And to add more salt to the collective wound:

That is creepy looking....

23rd August 2006 10:53 AM
Jair
quote:
not bound to please wrote:

That is creepy looking....

Depends. Try to put yourself between her legs...AIN'T CREEPY!!!
23rd August 2006 11:26 AM
nanatod
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
Come on, you know you're out there. The Rolling Stones are your favorite band ever, and blues-based rock and roll is your favorite genre, but you also dig the following bands:
Yes
Genesis
King Crimson
Rush
These are my four favs. Notice how I did NOT include ELP or any "prog-metal" bands like Queensryche, which are terrible.

I kind of like Yes; saw them with Rick Wakeman in '78, and on multi-artist bills in '88 and '94; would see them again. Some fine guitar playing on the Yes Album.

I actually like Genesis' 1983 album that had "Home by the Sea" on it (it's a guilty pleasure).

I can not stand Rush whatsoever.

King Crimson is a great idea on paper, and record, but Fripp bores me in concert, and I have no patience for Adrian Belew. The League of Crafty Guitarists was really tough to sit through. Adrian Belew and the Bears was worse.

Marillion was pretty good at in-store performance I saw last year in Chicago.

I don't have the patience for ELP that I once had.

Tull is pleasant. Ian Anderson has a nice back catalogue to work, and he's not afraid to draw on it in concert. When he used to have Fairport open for him, he'd use them on occasion during his own set.

I have never seen Queensryche live, and am not very familiar with their songs, but they are playing a three night stand at the HOB in Chicago in the middle of September, and I am seriously thinking of going.
23rd August 2006 12:09 PM
Dan
quote:
I have never seen Queensryche live, and am not very familiar with their songs, but they are playing a three night stand at the HOB in Chicago in the middle of September, and I am seriously thinking of going.

How good they are live really depends on what material they are playing. I am not too excited about all of both Operation Mindcrimes then 2 or 3 songs off other albums in the encore. They were good last year when they did a 9 song "hits" set followed by the complete Mindcrime and even better opening for Judas Priest when they concentrated on rarely performed material off Warning and Rage For Order.
23rd August 2006 01:27 PM
nanatod Thanks for the heads up, Dan. I will still probably go, anyway. HOB Chicago is a relatively small venue, so the sightlines are good and the sound is usually mixed well.

Also, my internet searches this morning indicate that Pamela Moore is with them on this tour, doing her parts from the records live (although you'll also get Ronnie James Dio if you see Qryche in LA).

Finally, unlike me, my better half doesn't like a lot of hard rock or metal, so Queensryche's empphasis on "theatricality" and its stage show may be enough of a hook to get her to agree to go to this show, as she doesn't ordinarily like to see heavy metal bands in concert. Plus she likes the smaller crowds that one gets at a smaller venue.
23rd August 2006 01:45 PM
Dan
quote:
nanatod wrote:
Thanks for the heads up, Dan. I will still probably go, anyway. HOB Chicago is a relatively small venue, so the sightlines are good and the sound is usually mixed well.

Also, my internet searches this morning indicate that Pamela Moore is with them on this tour, doing her parts from the records live (although you'll also get Ronnie James Dio if you see Qryche in LA).

No way! Thats the first I heard. I guess I might make an attempt. Got into the Universal show last year for $10. And yes Pamela Moore is with them. She is kinda hot.

quote:

Finally, unlike me, my better half doesn't like a lot of hard rock or metal, so Queensryche's empphasis on "theatricality" and its stage show may be enough of a hook to get her to agree to go to this show, as she doesn't ordinarily like to see heavy metal bands in concert. Plus she likes the smaller crowds that one gets at a smaller venue.

Fuck it leave her at home. Actually the worst part about the headline show last year was 45 mins then a FIFTY MINUTE INTERMISSION than a little more than an hour with no encore. The intermission of that length killed any momentum the show had. Its a little better now when I listen back to boots from that tour but it really irritated me at the time.
23rd August 2006 03:12 PM
nanatod
quote:
Dan wrote:
leave her at home.

No can do.

Before we met, her musical taste left something to be desired (too much Dire Straits, Sting, etc. in her music collection; too much WXRT listening; went to very few concerts). In the last three years, her CD collection rocks a little harder, and she's gone to lots of shows that I've dragged her to, that her other friends would not think of going to(eg. Lollapalooza '05 and '06, Milwaukee Summerfest, and much more).

The "theatrical" hook will work nicely to get her to Queensryche, a band she would not ordinarily listen to, as the Lollapalooza hook got her to see QOTSA, among others.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)