ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Twickenham Rugby Ground, London 20th August
© Leon Neal with special thanks to Gypsy
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rolling Stones Appreciation Thread Return to archive Page: 1 2
19th August 2006 10:57 AM
GotToRollMe
Okay, enough of all this negative crap. This is a Rolling Stones message board, for Rolling Stones fans. So let's give it up for the greatest rock and roll band the world has ever known.

They go out on stage night after night and play consistently great shows. Mick Jagger is the Eighth Wonder Of The World. I've never seen anyone even come close to him as far as performance goes. You'll never find a more professional, energetic, and just plain balls-out frontman than Mick. Keith will always be my favorite, but my respect for Mick knows no bounds. And speaking of Keith, the fact that the guy is still alive and playing his heart out (despite crippling arthritis) is a miracle. This man is the heart of the Rolling Stones. When I see them this fall, it's going to be hard for me to keep it together when he comes strutting out onstage, because for awhile there it looked as though we were gonna lose him forever. I am so thankful that I'm going to be fortunate enough to see Keith Richards again. Charlie is my darling. Charlie is the heartbeat of the Stones and one of the classiest musicians I've ever had the pleasure to see. Another reason to be thankful. And Ronnie...a multi-talented musician and artist. He takes a lot of flack around here, but I've seen this man play some amazing stuff. I can't wait to see him break out the slide.

I love these guys. They're my band. Of course I'd love to see them play "Jigsaw Puzzle," but you know what - the setlist isn't that important, because I know that whetever they play will be amazing, and I'll be dancing in the aisles, having the time of my life. Do you guys realize how lucky we are to still have them around? While other bands have broken up or have had key members die off, the Stones are still rolling. That in itself is a miracle. I'm going to enjoy them while they're still around. And I want to show some love for them now, while they're here, because one of these days they'll be gone and we'll all be willing to give a pinky finger to hear a "warhorse," but it'll be too late.

Show some Stoneslove, people!

Let's drink to the hard-working people...

SALT OF THE EARTH
(Jagger/Richards)

Let's drink to the hard working people
Let's drink to the lowly of birth
Raise your glass to the good and the evil
Let's drink to the salt of the earth

Say a prayer for the common foot soldier
Spare a thought for his back breaking work
Say a prayer for his wife and his children
Who burn the fires and who still till the earth

And when I search a faceless crowd
A swirling mass of gray and black and white
They don't look real to me
In fact, they look so strange

Raise your glass to the hard working people
Let's drink to the uncounted heads
Let's think of the wavering millions
Who need leaders but get gamblers instead

Spare a thought for the stay-at-home voter
His empty eyes gaze at strange beauty shows
And a parade of the gray suited grafters
A choice of cancer or polio

And when I look in the faceless crowd
A swirling mass of grays and black and white
They don't look real to me
Or don't they look so strange

Let's think of the lowly of birth
Spare a thought for the rag taggy people

Let's drink to the two thousand million
Let's think of the humble of birth

Lets raise our drink
To the salt of the earth
Lets raise our drink
To the salt of the earth.......

Let's drink to The Rolling Stones! Fuck yeah!

19th August 2006 11:02 AM
RollingstonesUSA

19th August 2006 11:05 AM
RollingstonesUSA

19th August 2006 11:06 AM
Still a Witness This is my first post here. It pain's me to read all the negative stuff.I love this band so much.My first concert was a Stones show in 66. Still have my stub,ticket wise,program.Collected moutains of stuff. They still bring it everytime.But really was dissapointed in the nature of this tour,with stadiums. The prices I've come to expect.But to let pride come before a fall and not to make adjustments is pretty bad judgement.Going to AC,hopefully Boston if I can get off. I'm really surprised the stadium thing lasted as long as it did.
19th August 2006 11:11 AM
Gimme Shelter The Stones rule and always will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll be getting my Oakland tickets this week!!!!!
19th August 2006 11:25 AM
Jair Agree GotToRollMe! They have changed my life for good.

I'll tell how I start to listen' em back in 76, cuz is a great history, at least to me.

One day I was listening to the radio, I was about 15 yrs and I had not a record player.

So, was the afternoon in a hot summer and I was in home, nuthing to do...Then I turned the radio on as I use to do every afternoon, after the school, and they was playing an incredible song. I payed atention, put the radio close to my ears and stayed thinkin, damn, what a song, is that what I need, this kind of stuff. Its wild, powerfull, great!

At the end of the tune, a girl, I remember her name was Katia, said: you just heard "Hey Negrita", by The Rolling Stones. I almost had an orgasm just to listen that name, Rolling Stones.

Then I've decided start to look for a job, in order to buy a record player & Rolling Stones records. And I did. I got a really hard job, but at the time I didnt care. In two months I bought my first stereo - actually a little mono vitrola - and the single I Dont know why/Try A little Harder, which I heard some hundreds of times, driving all my family crazy. Well, still no money enough to buy a long play...

One month more working hard, "trying a little harder", and I bought my first LP - Black and Blue, and I remember it was at December 24, 1976. Fucking great Christmas.

Next, I began to steal some money from my old sisters to buy records, and I am quite sure Sir Mick Jagger today is very proud of me because of that.

A few yrs later, I admitted for my two old sisters - Alice & Gisele - that I was stolen some changes of them, but they didn't care. In fact, they made fun. The only sad fact is they stopped leaving their bags close to me...

But since the 70's all my family love them, even my mom.

19th August 2006 11:35 AM
GotToRollMe I always love to hear peoples' stories of the first time they heard the Stones. I'll never forget when I was 7 years old and playing in my cousins' backyard when "Satisfaction" came on the tiny transistor radio that we were listening to. My cousin said, "Have you heard this great new song? It's called "Net No!" The next thing I knew, they played the Ed Sullivan show and my life was changed forever.

19th August 2006 11:01 PM
GotToRollMe That's it? That's all you've got? Damn, if this thread was all about politics or ringing the death knell for the band, you'd be on it like flies on shit.

And you call yourselves fans. True fans even. Pathetic!

19th August 2006 11:58 PM
Steel Wheels I'm with ya, brother. There's nothing in my life like the Rolling Stones. They have given me so much joy over the years. It's such beautiful music, isn't it? There's something about the way Mick and Keef and Ronnie and Charlie click that make it unlike any buzz I've ever had.

It's the music of the Rolling Stones that has been the soundtrack to my crazy, lazy, hot, and bothered life since about 1989. How many drinks? How many women? How many good times have been spent with their music pumping? How many drag races have been run with the speakers popping out the god damn doors?

The Rolling Stones are like family I've never met yet. They're my soul brothers in crime. Long may The Rolling Stones continue to inspire me to be a better me.
20th August 2006 12:15 AM
Poplar I remember my brother coming home with Tattoo You. I then swiped one some of his tape collection, and quickly realized the same guys who did Satisfaction did Start Me Up. AT 6 years old, that was a wild connection to draw. Their greatness and staying power amazed me immediatly. I've loved them ever since. One big turning point for me was in my car (an old Buick station waggon) late one night. I was flipping through radio stations on the way home from a party when I heard what I knew was Keith's guitar. It turned out to be their new single: Love is Strong. God, it sounded sexy, and I knew that "old" band was here to stay (whatever that means). I was just starting college at the time and I dedicated myself to learning all of their music... all those albums that came before me. Every one was a treasure chest... and to think - in 2006, I'm about to se them AGAIN. It defies logic, and I too hope our gripes (no matter how legitimate) don't get in the way of one last party.

Yes - so many good times. So many girls. Lonely times, too. Always the Stones. Did it last night. Won't be long before I do it again.

[Edited by Poplar]
20th August 2006 04:34 AM
maumau Summer 1982. Did not know what "Rolling Stones" mean at all. On tv I hear of this band that is supposed to be satanic and use drugs and the Church does not want them to play in Italy. The concert in my hometown is ruled out because administrators dont want to risk the playground. So there's a lot of rumour about this band. And I still did not know a note. Then my brother decide to go to the concert in Turin with his friends. I am curious so I ask my mum if I can go too. She says: "No", afraid of drugs etc. She did not know how big was her mistake with that No! First thing I did the day of the concert (second gig in Turin) is to celebrate the World Cup buying my First Stones Record: Still Life, and playing it LOUD all day. And the day after...and the day after that...
20th August 2006 06:10 AM
corgi37 Rolling Stones? Hmmm, yeah, i've heard of them.
20th August 2006 10:23 AM
Jair
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
That's it? That's all you've got? Damn, if this thread was all about politics or ringing the death knell for the band, you'd be on it like flies on shit.

And you call yourselves fans. True fans even. Pathetic!

Hmmm, anyone knows if George Bush is a Rolling Stones fan or only the democrats are?
Also, what he thinks about Sweet Neocon?
The White House made an official statement about it?

And about Neil Young Living With War? nuthin'?
Then he knows hes a guilty son of whore, "IMO".

Freedom of speach, ok? Always. Everywhere. Didnt like? Fuck off!

Now, can we back to the main topic?
Thanx in advance.

20th August 2006 10:43 AM
LadyJane GREAT idea, M.

Ya'll know my story.

8th grade. Major crush on the boy who cut the neighbor's lawn. Asked me if I was gonna watch the Stones on Don Kirschner's Rock concert that night.

"Um...yeah...sure."

Turned it on and there was this guy in a hat singing Angie.

I lept from the couch to lying on the floor in front of the TV,,,,totally mezmerized.

My Father walked into the room...and said "Oh no. It's all over now."

33 years later..............the guy in the hat still mezmerizes me. He's 63 and I'm 4_!!!!

Dad was right..........my life changed. And The Rolling Stones have been at my side through all my ups and downs.

I love them...and I appreciate them.

Can't wait to see them again.

LJ.

20th August 2006 10:47 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Jair wrote:

Hmmm, anyone knows if George Bush is a Rolling Stones fan or only the democrats are?
Also, what he thinks about Sweet Neocon?
The White House made an official statement about it?

And about Neil Young Living With War? nuthin'?
Then he knows hes a guilty son of whore, "IMO".

Freedom of speach, ok? Always. Everywhere. Didnt like? Fuck off!

Now, can we back to the main topic?
Thanx in advance.

LOL...Jair!

20th August 2006 10:59 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
GREAT idea, M.

Ya'll know my story.

8th grade. Major crush on the boy who cut the neighbor's lawn. Asked me if I was gonna watch the Stones on Don Kirschner's Rock concert that night.

"Um...yeah...sure."

I lept from the couch to lying on the floor in front of the TV,,,,totally mezmerized.

33 years later..............the guy in the hat still mezmerizes me. He's 63 and I'm 4_!!!!

Dad was right..........my life changed. And The Rolling Stones have been at my side through all my ups and downs.

LJ.

I know the hat and the performance. In fact, I went out and bought a hat just like it...but Mick always looked prettier in it than me.

The Stones have always been there for me too. They've been a fact of life for so long now I think that a lot of people just take them for granted. I know I did for a long time. I know better now.

So thank you, Rolling Stones...for everything (and that's a lot of everything).

20th August 2006 11:32 AM
Ten Thousand Motels I used to buy 45's....mostly. But I did buy the album OOOH because Satisfaction was on it. I only owned three or four albums at the time. I can't say for sure whether OOOH was the first album I ever bought but it was close. Anyway probably the best $5.00 I ever spent.(maybe it was $3.99) To me the best track on it is UAWCPM....if only for the harmonica. Since then I can't remember a time when the Stones weren't my favorite band (whatever that means).
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
20th August 2006 02:57 PM
MrPleasant I love Satanic Majesties. It's one of their funniest works. Play it when you're drunk as a Kennedy and appreciate all the messiness.
20th August 2006 03:01 PM
Jair
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
I love Satanic Majesties. It's one of their funniest works. Play it when you're drunk as a Kennedy and appreciate all the messiness.

The Kennedys drink all that much???
all of them?
I am intrigued now.?!?
20th August 2006 03:16 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Jair wrote:

The Kennedys drink all that much???
all of them?
I am intrigued now.?!?

Drinking is a serious matter.

And I had to stay sober five days in order to reinforce that idea.
20th August 2006 07:36 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
If they were "real fans" they'd stickey this.

Damn right! Sticky this mofo! Let's hear everyone's Stones stories!

20th August 2006 07:55 PM
BONOISLOVE

20th August 2006 09:42 PM
Soldatti They wrote the songtrack of my life. Thanks for all boys.
21st August 2006 03:09 AM
gypsy
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
GREAT idea, M.

Ya'll know my story.

"Um...yeah...sure."

LJ.

I like them all except for Brian. When I see a photo of him, I want to vomit.
21st August 2006 10:21 AM
egon ok we all love them.
so maybe they could stop squeezing us so much,
and show an tinly little bit of respect for their fans.

Or am i being too negative here?

21st August 2006 10:43 AM
Saint Sway Charlie Watts is God.
21st August 2006 09:41 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Charlie Watts is God.

Amen to that.
21st August 2006 11:43 PM
Olompali M & K: The best songwriters of rock and roll
22nd August 2006 12:02 AM
Lethargy I like the Rolling Stones.
22nd August 2006 01:31 AM
MikeyC613 My pops got me into them. I remember my Dad blasting Flashpoint when I was like 7 years old. I remember the CD booklet, and how cool the band looked. I loved the picture of Mick in the rain in the hat and Keith playing snooker. He looked like he was in Vietnam in that pic. I also thought that Keith was Mick in the photos, and that Mick was Keith.

I got into Hot Rocks pretty big. Voodoo Lounge had just come out, and my Dad had just gotten and would always crank track 9 on the way to my basketball practices. He always turned down the "fuck your sweet ass" part during Sparks Will Fly whenever I was riding around with my family (Hey, I was 11). Sometimes he would misjudge the timing and crank it up right during the profanity, it was hilarious, my Mom got pissed and my sister and I thought it was so cool and funny.

One day he really noticed how much I had been fiending for his old Stones CDs and tapes. Anyway, he told me about a great album he had lent to my Uncle Robbie called Let It Bleed. I listened to it and was forever afflicted with Stonesaphilia.

Cool thread about the coolest band.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)