ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Nicole!!
Fenway Park, Boston - August 21, 2005
Thanks Nicole!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A girl at the concert either was drunk and fell or tried to commit suicide tonight Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 22nd, 2005 01:00 AM
Poison Dart I just got back from the show minutes ago.

I don't know if anybody here picked up on this or not but a girl fell at least 30-40 feet from the rafters in right field at Fenway tonight.

The Stones had just started Honkeytonk Women (I think) when people/the police started flashing a spotlight up at the rafters.

I looked up and saw a young girl(20ish) had climbed up(I was in section 89)into the rafters almost directly in front of me. At first I thought she might have been a roadie or something. But then when I got a good look at her I knew she shouldn't have been there. From the very start this looked like it was going to end badly.

The girl either had to have been very,very,very intoxicated or was trying to commit suicide.

The police came by and nearly cleared my entire section out. Which was just about they only thing they could do. There was no way they could climb up into the rafters and try and rescue her.

If you have ever been to Fenway you could see where it would be very easy to climb into the rafters from the standing room section. This girl clearly climbed up into an area where no stable person would attempt to go. I have to stress it's not like she simply fell from a seat or something. She was taking her life in her hands from the start.

To make a long story short the girl was very unsteady for about 15 minutes and finally fell as sections 89,90 looked on in total shock. It was truly disturbing to see as the girl smashed into the section that had been evacuated by the police.

I couldn't believe it.

Does anybody know if this girl died? It didn't look good at all. She was limp and bloody. It seemed the emergency team had to intubate her which could mean she wasn't breating. She had to have had at least broken her neck.

The Stones had no idea this was going on. As a matter of fact I don't think anybody outside my section and the one next to it had any idea this was going on.

Best of luck to her.
[Edited by Poison Dart]
August 22nd, 2005 01:14 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Hope she's alive and soon well. If she pass away she won't be the first doing that, unfortunately some fans lose their head and make things like that
August 22nd, 2005 02:08 AM
chevysales wow. doesn't sound good.

there also was some guy that got on to stage when mick was there (left ramp area right in front of us) we were section A6 row 6 and he was taken down quite quick.

[Edited by chevysales]
August 22nd, 2005 02:11 AM
lotsajizz
from the Boston Herald---

A fan who crawled six sections up the rafters above the right-field grandstand seats for a better view of the Rolling Stones fell 40 feet, prompting gasps and tears from horrified concert-goers as the band played ``Jumpin' Jack Flash.''

``I don't know how she got up there, but I kept yelling for her, `Go back. Go back,' '' said Sean Mahoney, 38, who watched the woman crawl through the rafters above Section 5 to Section 1.

Police say the 20-year-oldfrom Connecticut, who wore jeans and a yellow T-shirt, was in stable condition at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital with two broken ankles and a broken wrist.

Robert Barrett, who was standing near where the woman fell, said she was sitting on a beam supporting the grandstand roof while stadium security flashed lights on her, urging her to get down.

``She was just sitting up there, enjoying herself when all of a sudden she fell,'' Barrett said.

Soon after she fell, fans on the right side of the ballpark started pointing and looking saying, ``She fell. A woman fell. A woman fell.''

Amanda Dauber, 23, who was with Mahoney in Section 4, said: ``The show was fine up to the point where she fell. That just ruined everything.''

The Stones played three songs and the planned fireworks went off after the woman fell.
August 22nd, 2005 02:32 AM
gorda That's awful!

Just awful!

Now, because of what happened, they'll probably cancel the fans on stage thing!
August 22nd, 2005 04:53 AM
Gazza uh...she wasnt "on stage" , going by the report...
August 22nd, 2005 06:32 AM
justforyou but she sure wanted to be on stage...
I don't see how cancelling the onstage seats would help, instead they should setup the rig so you don't have access to climb the bloody thing.
August 22nd, 2005 07:05 AM
lotsajizz people...the onstage seats were over 500 feet from where this lady fell, the two have nothing to do with each other
August 22nd, 2005 07:38 AM
Gazza I know some people were a bit disappointed with the setlist, but I didnt think it was THAT bad!!

August 22nd, 2005 07:39 AM
egon maybe she was trying to get away from JB...?
August 22nd, 2005 10:07 AM
Lazy Bones BOSTON (AP) -- A woman was hospitalized with broken bones after she climbed onto the rafters of Fenway Park during Sunday night's Rolling Stones concert and fell 35 to 40 feet.

The 20-year-old woman broke both her ankles and a wrist and was in stable condition at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, according to police. Hospital spokeswoman Cindy Whitcome said no further information on her condition was being released. Her name was not made public.

Firefighters were sent to help her down but they arrived too late, fire Lt. David Pfeil said.

A witness described seeing the woman climbing into the rafters above the ballpark's right field grandstand.

"I don't know how she got up there," Sean Mahoney said, "but I kept yelling for her (to), 'Go back. Go back."

Other witnesses said she was in the rafters for some time before she fell.

"She sat for at least three songs, just dangling there," said Jaime Whitney. "She was hanging onto the rafters, sitting on a beam. She just fell backwards."

Sunday's show was the first on the Stones' new North American tour.

August 22nd, 2005 10:21 AM
glencar
quote:
egon wrote:
maybe she was trying to get away from JB...?

LOL And now Joshy's chasing after her ambulance!
August 22nd, 2005 10:30 AM
Martha She was obviously NOT fully hydrated!
August 22nd, 2005 10:30 AM
glencar
quote:
Martha wrote:
She was obviously NOT fully hydrated!

LOL She needed roasted almonds!
August 22nd, 2005 10:39 AM
nowhere_girl12 At least if she succeeded her last memories would be a Stones concert. What better way to die? :P
August 22nd, 2005 10:43 AM
glencar No, she lived to create other wacky memories. Wait'll you see what she does at the Neil Diamond concert next week!
August 22nd, 2005 12:46 PM
HellsRollingThunder Maybe she was either intoxicated and/or under the
influence of something. Is it true sometimes when a person
who is let's say drunk is an accident can live because they are
supposedly so flexible and relaxed that it results in less harm to
the body? Not for all cases of course but some have been known
to survive because of this as I have been told down through the
years.

I sure hope she will be alright with no permanent damage.
I wonder if she will have even have any memory of what happened. That is a shame may she come through well..
August 22nd, 2005 12:50 PM
glencar Again, it sounds like all's well ends well. The booze/flexibility theory sounds raesonable. I wonder what she thought of the set list?
August 22nd, 2005 12:58 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
glencar wrote:
Again, it sounds like all's well ends well. The booze/flexibility theory sounds raesonable. I wonder what she thought of the set list?

If the Stones go on with this setlist I predict many more people will fall during the next shows. By the sackful.
August 22nd, 2005 02:29 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Wait'll you see what she does at the Neil Diamond concert next week!

You are Sassy !
August 22nd, 2005 02:34 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Again, it sounds like all's well ends well. The booze/flexibility theory sounds raesonable. I wonder what she thought of the set list?

the fact that she acted the way she did speaks volumes...

Maybe the Stones should have played an impromptu version of "All the way down" specially for her....
August 22nd, 2005 03:44 PM
Scottfree
quote:
HellsRollingThunder wrote:
Maybe she was either intoxicated and/or under the
influence of something. Is it true sometimes when a person
who is let's say drunk is an accident can live because they are
supposedly so flexible and relaxed that it results in less harm to
the body? Not for all cases of course but some have been known
to survive because of this as I have been told down through the
years.

I sure hope she will be alright with no permanent damage.
I wonder if she will have even have any memory of what happened. That is a shame may she come through well..

See Vince Neil, well and me for that matter....
August 22nd, 2005 07:38 PM
Gazza

Westport Woman Injured in Fall at Boston Stones Concert

A Westport woman who attended Sunday night’s Rolling Stones concert in Boston is recovering at a hospital after falling from the rafters at Fenway Park, authorities said today.

A fire department spokesman said the woman climbed to the rafters above Section One in the right field grandstand.

Boston television station WHDH-TV identified her today as Claire O’Leary, 20, and said she was “uncooperative and verbally abusive to medical staff” upon being hospitalized. It said she faces charges of disorderly conduct.

Lt. David Pfeil said the woman was seen hanging from the rafters at about 10:15 p.m. before she fell 35 or 40 feet.

Police said the woman broke both of her ankles and a wrist. She was in stable condition at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.

Firefighters were sent to help her down but they arrived too late, fire Lt. David Pfeil said.

A witness described seeing the woman climbing into the rafters above the ballpark’s right field grandstand.

“I don’t know how she got up there,” Sean Mahoney said, “but I kept yelling for her (to), ‘Go back. Go back.”

Other witnesses said she was in the rafters for some time before she fell.

“She sat for at least three songs, just dangling there,” said Jaime Whitney. “She was hanging onto the rafters, sitting on a beam. She just fell backwards.”

Westport Town Clerk Patricia H. Strauss was among a group of Westport neighbors who attended the concert. But she said they were seated in an area away from where the incident took place and she was unaware of it until today.

“Several radio stations called me asking if I had any information about the woman,” she said. “I told them I didn’t have her identity and knew nothing about her.”

Sunday’s show was the first on the Stones’ new North American tour.

A witness to the incident, Sean McCarthy, reported what he saw in his blog today.

“The young woman appeared to be in her 20s (initial police accounts had her as either 20 or 22, from Connecticut), with chest-length dark hair, a yellow T-shirt and blue jeans,” he wrote.

“Jen and I were sitting in section 2, in the right field grandstands. We first spotted her hanging above Section 4 at 9:46 p.m., as the Stones were rocking ‘Honky Tonk Women,’ but other eyewitnesses placed her at least as far back as Section 7.

“Mystery girl was crawling her way across the underbelly of the right field roof, slowly but surely, until she reached the end of the rafters above Section 1.

“If you’re looking from home plate out, that is where the right-field grandstands end. There is a ramp separating the grandstands from the bleachers. OK. So once mystery girl reached the end of the rafters, she took a seated position and watched the show, which included the somehow apt ‘Out of Control.’

“The girl seemed more in control at this point (earlier she had moments that made fans nervous), was kicking her legs to the beat and even clapped along with everyone else at the end of the song. The Stones then played ‘Sympathy for the Devil.’

“Toward the end of the next song, ‘Jumpin’ Jack Flash,’ mystery girl, for reasons unknown, began crawling up to the edge of the rafters (underneath where retired No. 1 is visible from the rest of the park), lost her footing, dangled for several seconds, then fell about 30 feet into the seats. The time: 10:11 p.m.

“So she had been crawling around the roof for at least a half-hour and possibly longer than 45 minutes according to other eyewitnesses. Boston police officers had spotted her about the time I had, and had at least one flashlight on her. Cops stood in the aisles on either side of my section and cleared out fans below mystery girl.

“When she fell, she landed on the red seats of Right Field Box 87, apparently across rows LL and MM—but only about a foot away from a much farther fall outside of the seats onto the concrete ramp.

“Cops and EMTs immediately surged to the scene. They had a backboard at the ready, but apparently not anything in place to provide a softer landing, and had mystery girl headed out on the backboard within four minutes.

“The cops disappeared for another 14 minutes while Fenway Park security was left to rope off the scene. The Stones, meanwhile, were oblivious to the entire incident—which if the girl died, would provide an eerie reminder of Altamont.

“Initial reports had her suffering only a few broken bones, but still. Still to be determined: Why the girl climbed the rafters, where she began her ascent, whether she was with anyone else at the concert, and if so, whether they coerced her into the stunt, and whether drugs and alcohol factored into it. I’ll have more when I know more.”

Posted 08/22 at 01:51 PM
The trackback URL for this entry is: http://www.westportnow.com/index.php?/trackback/11151/fdlb4rOX/

August 22nd, 2005 08:33 PM
flexy633
quote:
Martha wrote:
She was obviously NOT fully hydrated!

LMAO, Martha!
August 23rd, 2005 11:29 AM
Jeep http://cbs4boston.com/news/local_story_234085432.html

August 23rd, 2005 11:53 AM
Lazy Bones Wow. That picture gives me the chills.
August 23rd, 2005 02:52 PM
nankerphelge Darwin at work...
August 23rd, 2005 03:03 PM
kath darwin needs to work a little faster, it seems.....

what an incredibly stupid thing to do.
August 23rd, 2005 03:08 PM
nankerphelge I gotta tell ya -- I woke up in the hotel yesterday, flipped on the news, saw the story and all I could think about was that stupid "joke" I posted last week about luxy landing in Charlie's drum set from the on-stage seating.

Wasn't so damn funny when someone really did it!

[Edited by nankerphelge]
August 23rd, 2005 03:08 PM
glencar Fuck Darwin. This girl was drunk & did a really stupid thing. I'm glad she's okay & I hope she's learned her lessons: a) Be careful when scaling stadia b) do not curse out those trying to save you c) whatever you do that's stupid, please don't embarass the folks by having it end up on the front page!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)