ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Nicole!!
Fenway Park, Boston - August 21, 2005
Thanks Nicole!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Streets of Love rulezzzzz Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 20th, 2005 05:34 PM
DiamondsDisease Should I feel like Salman Rushdie walking thru Tehran now? Iīm serious though, I think itīs a great song.
August 20th, 2005 05:50 PM
Stonesmillenium2001 It sounds a lot like Lady Jane and New Faces.
August 20th, 2005 06:28 PM
Bloozehound No it doesn't

It sounds like shit!
August 20th, 2005 07:29 PM
Too Tough
quote:
DiamondsDisease wrote:
Should I feel like Salman Rushdie walking thru Tehran now? Iīm serious though, I think itīs a great song.

I completely agree. When I first heard the buzz on this message board about it, I figured I was in for some real crap. Then I heard the song. Mabye it was because my expections were lowered but I was blown away and the song really struck me emotionally, which is the whole point of ballads, right? I'm sure as fuck not moved like that by stuff like Moonlight Mile or Time Waits For No One or even Angie (the best of the three, but still overated). Is Streets Of Love on par with the "best ballads" like Wild Horses or Slipping Away? No, but it's still great, with a melodic guitar solo that's beautiful in it's simplicity.
August 20th, 2005 07:29 PM
gotdablouse Yes, a very good song, good buildup, nice (and new) chord changes.
August 20th, 2005 08:09 PM
The Wick
quote:
Too Tough wrote:
I'm sure as fuck not moved like that by stuff like Moonlight Mile or Time Waits For No One or even Angie (the best of the three, but still overated).

I know it's all opinion, but are you being serious? How can you compare Streets of Shite with Moonlight Mile, or any of those songs. Those songs you listed are fucking rock hard classics and stunning songs. Streets of Shite is the worst thing the Stones have ever released, bar none. Streets of Shite is fucking rank.
August 20th, 2005 08:27 PM
gotdablouse sez who? What exactly do you think is "shite" about SOL?
August 20th, 2005 08:32 PM
The Wick
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
sez who? What exactly do you think is "shite" about SOL?

Like I said, it's all opinion. To answer your question, the whole thing. One of the reasons I hate it so much is I think Mick Jagger is a bloody amazing songwriter and I don't subscribe to the Keith Richards is the Stones bullshit. However, it is such a huge disappointment. I loved Keys to Your Love so it's just not I love the past argument. It just sounds terrible, trite, and something that not even a weak band would be proud of.
August 20th, 2005 08:46 PM
the good
quote:
DiamondsDisease wrote:
Should I feel like Salman Rushdie walking thru Tehran now? Iīm serious though, I think itīs a great song.

The Imams of Rocks off are going to issue a Fatwa against you for this blasphemy. Honestly, I think the song is probably one of the 5 Rolling Stones songs that I can say I actually dislike. But that's cool that you like it.
I think the rest of the album is going to be killer.
August 20th, 2005 09:07 PM
the good
quote:
Too Tough wrote:

I completely agree. When I first heard the buzz on this message board about it, I figured I was in for some real crap. Then I heard the song. Mabye it was because my expections were lowered but I was blown away and the song really struck me emotionally, which is the whole point of ballads, right? I'm sure as fuck not moved like that by stuff like Moonlight Mile or Time Waits For No One or even Angie (the best of the three, but still overated). Is Streets Of Love on par with the "best ballads" like Wild Horses or Slipping Away? No, but it's still great, with a melodic guitar solo that's beautiful in it's simplicity.

You think Angie is overrated? I think the beginning of that song is probably the prettiest piece of guitar Keith ever wrote, and I can't think of any guitar peice done by anyone in rock and roll that is so beautiful.
August 20th, 2005 09:35 PM
Bloozehound The Wick is Wise!
August 20th, 2005 09:47 PM
CraigP Please, get me a link to the lost mp3
August 20th, 2005 10:39 PM
Scottfree I wouldn't say that SOL rules, but there are some redeeming qualities to it. If I wasn't a Stones fan I would have never listened to it a second time, but seeing as that I am, on tenth listen I really like it, and find it very catch and somewhat feely (not to the level of Almost hear your sigh).

Ok sorry for ending sentences in prepositions, but it is what I do, it......
August 20th, 2005 11:41 PM
texile once again wick - you are a master of righteous stones theology.....

for an outside opinion (meaning someone who is not obsessed with the stones)- i asked for my friend's objective take on it - as someone who appreciates the stones but is not a "fan":
he said it sucked because mick sounded like he wasn't into it.....he said 'it's got no PASSION like on beast of burden or miss you' -
that says it all for me;
i haven't heard most of the other songs because i want to wait and hear in full sound.....and alot of them sound very promising - but sol just sucks. wick is right - it's not about being stuck in the past - the lryrics are just AWFUL DUMB.
and wick - don't forget anyway you look at it.....
August 20th, 2005 11:45 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Too Tough wrote:

I completely agree. When I first heard the buzz on this message board about it, I figured I was in for some real crap. Then I heard the song.

ballads threaten the manhood of some of the cavemen right wing of this board....fuck 'em, it's a great song and they'll soon come to terms with the fact their conservatism is a cover for their latent desires....
August 21st, 2005 12:09 AM
Bloozehound so....uh dislike of shitty ballads is a cover for politcal indifference, huh ?

Thanks for the laugh red clown
August 21st, 2005 01:24 AM
The Wick
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
ballads threaten the manhood of some of the cavemen right wing of this board....fuck 'em, it's a great song and they'll soon come to terms with the fact their conservatism is a cover for their latent desires....

I don't know if you were talking about me, but if you were, you should think before you write. I am very proudly very very left wing, yet that doesn't mean a damn thing in determining whether this is a good song. SOL is shite no matter what your political background. It's an embarrassment and the worst choice as a single. I just can't wait to hear the album so that Streets of Shite can be buried soon. I just wish there was a way to delete it from the disc. Incidentally, as a liberal, you shouldn't make "latently" homophobic comments.

Texile- Thanks for the compliment. Anyway You Look At It, was horrid, but I think SOL takes the cake. You have one of the greatest lyricists ever opening up with that shocking "you're awful" crap. It's a toss up whether the opening is worse or the chorus with its horrible guitars.
August 21st, 2005 01:26 AM
exile while its not the best song on the album

and probably not the best for a single

its not THAT bad.

im done with this arguement
August 21st, 2005 01:29 AM
texile
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

well, i'm a pinko-commie female and fool to cry is one of my favorite songs cos it's a GOOD SONG, so that's TWO arguments blown in one post, jizz........lol.
August 21st, 2005 01:33 AM
texile a PROUD commie-pinko female, i might add....
and wick - you're right because anyway you look at it was at least relegated as a b-side......
August 21st, 2005 01:44 AM
Bloozehound SOL should be regulated for P side, for port o pottie

the wick is wise!

[Edited by Bloozehound]
August 21st, 2005 02:01 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
texile wrote:
a PROUD commie-pinko female, i might add....
and wick - you're right because anyway you look at it was at least relegated as a b-side......

you're a chick ?

i love fool to cry
August 21st, 2005 03:13 AM
Daethgod well i agree with Exile

SOL is Ok, i dig it, chorus is great, cool sound, me thinks sometimes Mick and his ballads are an easy target

exile :
"while its not the best song on the album

and probably not the best for a single

its not THAT bad.

im done with this arguement"
August 21st, 2005 04:21 AM
ListenToTheLion SOL entered at 35 in the Dutch Mega Top 50 this week.
August 21st, 2005 09:28 AM
Some Guy When this song blows up, it will be too late to jump on the bandwagon. I like it!
August 21st, 2005 09:30 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
The Wick wrote:

Incidentally, as a liberal, you shouldn't make "latently" homophobic comments.

Speak for yourself...I ain't no liberal. Libertarian--do you know the difference? I doubt it.

August 21st, 2005 10:05 AM
Too Tough
quote:
the good wrote:

You think Angie is overrated? I think the beginning of that song is probably the prettiest piece of guitar Keith ever wrote, and I can't think of any guitar peice done by anyone in rock and roll that is so beautiful.

Yes, overratted. Not bad, but overrated. I agree the guitar playing is very pretty and the string arrangment is beautiful, but compared to Wild Horses (just as an example, since it's sort of like the song's musical predecessor as an acoustic ballad), Angie is grade A schmaltz.

As for Moonlight Mile, I've always found it to be the epitome of a "boring ballad". No matter how hard I try, it just is never. It's a nice way to end the album, but mabye if Keith had played something on it he could have elevated it.

And Time Waits For No One? The intro music is cool, nice to hear the Stones being able to channel all types of music, but the song as a whole makes it easy to see why the band themselves decided to put it on an album called SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES.
August 21st, 2005 11:07 AM
The Wick
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

Speak for yourself...I ain't no liberal. Libertarian--do you know the difference? I doubt it.

I said liberal because of your comments, and I know perfectly well what a libertarian is Professor. Just watch what you say. I don't want to start humiliating you and remember you were the one telling people to go fuck themselves as rabid right wingers for knowing that SOL is total shite.
August 21st, 2005 11:55 AM
wgwalsh On the first listen to STREETS OF LOVE I felt much like the first time I heard FOOL TO CRY from BLACK AND BLUE. The appreciation of the work grew with each subsequent play.
August 21st, 2005 12:59 PM
IzzyStradlin
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
No it doesn't

It sounds like shit!

The song flatout SUCKS.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)