ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

© 1972 Dominique Tarlé
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: some charlie wattisms Return to archive
August 15th, 2004 04:30 PM
kmc Some favorite Charlie Wattsisms:

- The group in concert cracking up at Charlie introducing a song they had just played. (think it was Hawaii ‘66 bootleg)

- An unhappy Charlie in the rain posing for the cover of “Ya Ya’s” with the donkey. (from Gimme Shelter)

- Story of a Stones producer bringing a drum “click” track into the studio for a song and Charlie scornfully being able to replicate it perfectly.

- Charlie being a collector of Civil War memorabilia. (Who would have thought?)

- The fact that Charlie threw in with the Stones way back when, when he certainly was more established and didn’t have to!

- Mick growling the name “Charleeeeeeee Watts!” whenever he introduces the band. (Hope to hear it again soon!!!)
August 15th, 2004 04:38 PM
LadyJane Good thread!!

I think my fav is the story of Charlie punching Mick for referring to him as "my drummer".

And Charlie collecting automobiles when he doesn't drive!!

Love this guy!

LJ.
[Edited by LadyJane]
August 15th, 2004 06:21 PM
M.O.W.A.T. My favourite Charlie Watts quote (not quite verbatim but along these lines):

"When we (the Stones) get together, one of two things happens: either something beautiful occurs or its a complete catastrophe."

August 15th, 2004 06:21 PM
glencar Chet Flippo's book from the late 70's has that great "I'm not your drummer; you're my singer" line.
August 15th, 2004 08:28 PM
Soldatti
quote:
glencar wrote:
Chet Flippo's book from the late 70's has that great "I'm not your drummer; you're my singer" line.

It was on the 80's and yes, this is my fauvorite Charlie's quote.
August 16th, 2004 01:36 AM
corgi37 Yes, Charlie wacked Mick during Undercover sessions.

What about his classic observation of being in the Stones; "5 years of hard work, 20 years of standing around".

I loved the way he used to hold Keiths guitar during the taking of bows during Voodoo Lounge tour.

The look he gives Bill in "Start me up"

The way he pats his knees and smiles as keith and Mick walk into the bar in "Waiting on a friend".

His sleazy model manager role in "She was hot"

His amazing performance in "Sex Drive" as the therapist

Or the story of him wearing cricket whites all week, waiting for a week-end game to attend?

And, he wore that Exile t-shirt better than anyone!!

Oh, and i love his ostrich-feathered sleeves in "Ladies and Gentlemen"
August 16th, 2004 10:00 AM
nankerphelge I always liked the quote from A Life on the Road where he says a Stones concert, from his perspective, is looking at Keith's bum and Ronnie's bum, and every once in a while, Mick's bum runs by -- or something like that.

Classic!

August 16th, 2004 10:10 AM
Gazza This is one of my favourite Charlie stories. Ian McPherson transcribed it on his excellent site timeisonourside.com:

Bill Wyman told this story on the David Letterman Show in 1985. Take into account this was during the time when Charlie fell off the straight and narrow which may account for some of his odd behaviour in this one:

BW: We were in Toronto recording once and - Charlie Watts never sleeps.

DL : NEVER sleeps?

BW: No. He went for a walk in the town, you know, he was looking for something to eat. So he went to this little Indian restaurant he found. But before that, he looked around and found a shop, a little tailor shop. And he found some trousers he wanted and they said, "They're a bit big". He buys them second-hand sometimes, you know, old ones from the '40s, you know?

DL: (sarcastically) Charlie's down on his luck, isn't he?

BW: Yeah (laughs). And... so they said, "Come back in a couple of hours, they'll be ready". So he went to this Indian restaurant, and he hadn't slept for about 4 days so he gets -

DL : (interrupts) FOUR days?!? (Audience laughs)

BW: Yeah... no, that's NORMAL.

DL: FOUR days and he says, "I feel like doing a little shopping"?

BW: Yeah. (Audience laughs).

DL : (sarcastically) Gosh, how could a thing like that happen? (Audience laughs)

BW: (Laughs) We don't have shops in England... Anyway... So he sits there and he falls asleep, you know, with all these Indian guys around him. And about 2 hours later, they're waking him up, you know? And he's surrounded by cops as well. And we're in Toronto, they're pretty heavy down there. And - so they're shaking him up, they say, "Who are you?" and he's got all that stubble on (his face) and everything, you know. "What are you doing?" And he says, "Well, where... where am I?" And they say, "Well, you're in Toronto." He says, "TORONTO? What am I doing in Toronto?" You know, and they think this guy's CRAZY. And he said, "Well, what time is it?" And they said, "It's a quarter to three in the afternoon". And he says, "Oh, great, my trousers are gonna be ready." (Audience laughs) You should have Charlie on the show.

DL: Yeah, but every time we call he's napping so - (Audience laughs).

[Edited by Gazza]
August 16th, 2004 12:59 PM
Soldatti
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Yes, Charlie wacked Mick during Undercover sessions.

I think that was on Amsterdam during a bussines meeting on 1989, others said that was on 1985.
August 16th, 2004 02:46 PM
Soldatti Great story Gazza!
Thanks for post it.
August 16th, 2004 03:37 PM
Factory Girl That is a great story, thanks.

I like the fact that Charlie WAtts collects civil war memorabilia. He should come down to sweet VA, I'll be happy to show him around...
August 16th, 2004 03:40 PM
Poplar At the "Bridges" announcement party in NYC:

After Mick and Keith babbling for a bit (including Keith's awesome "chemistry" line) someone asks Charlie if he has anything to add. His answer: "no."

August 17th, 2004 12:37 AM
corgi37 100% Charlie hit Mick whilst recording Undercover.

Charlie was all class, even in a fight. Mick was drunk. As both Keith and Ronnie have said before, Mick drunk is hilarious. Charlie was asleep in his room. Mick bounced in saying "Where's my little drummer boy", and jumping on the bed and trying to get him up. Then, Mick nicked off.

Charlie got dressed in an immaculate suit. Slicked his hair. Looked a treat. Then went down to the restaurant, said: "I'm not you fucking drummer boy, your my fucking singer", and decked him.

Keith recalls Mick flying across the table, and he had to jump up and grab him in case he went through the window, and into the river below. Whats the French river? The Seine?

It's Undercover. Not dirty work (did Mick even SEE Charlie during those sessions?), and certainly not steel wheels.
August 17th, 2004 04:46 AM
Gazza It actually happened in Amsterdam, according to Keith's original story.

So, it wouldn't have been during a recording session - he said they were there for a band meeting.
August 17th, 2004 05:37 AM
marko Indeed it was Amsterdam,1984.They were about to tour behind
Undercover album.Tour was actually set up allready.But all
band members never got to do it,,,,,,they got lazy.then came
micks solo career.
August 17th, 2004 09:05 AM
egon i though it happened in amsterdam when they were discussing dirty work...?
[Edited by egon]
August 17th, 2004 09:50 AM
Snappy McJack I was listening to DW in my car yesterday and was laughing it up a bit. Thinking about the tension between the band, probably most of it being like best friends arguing with each other over nothing.

Mostly I was laughing during "Hold Back" -- damn, I don't think I've ever heard Charlie so "pissed off". I had it cranked up and Charlie's drum slamming is what got me laughing and thinking "Damn, Charlie must've been pissed during that 3 to 4 minutes".

Charlie rules!
August 17th, 2004 09:50 AM
Gazza >i though it happened in amsterdam when they were discussing dirty work...?

I know the subject of Dirty Work causes great arguments and division on Rocks Off but at least none of us have come to blows over it.