ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

© 1972 Dominique Tarlé
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ronnie's paintings exhibition in Edinburgh (SSC) Return to archive
August 14th, 2004 05:42 AM
Monkey Woman From The Scotsman (Sat 14 August)

Ronnie Wood exhibition brings together portraits from his life as a Rolling Stone

EDWARD BLACK

RONNIE Wood is best known as a guitarist for the Rolling Stones, but the veteran rock star will show off artistic prowess of a different kind with an exhibition of painting and sketches in Edinburgh next month.

Born into a family of enthusiastic artists, Wood, now 57, followed his brothers to art school at the Ealing College of Art in 1963. His first job was as a signwriter.

As well as sketches of all the Rolling Stones, the exhibition will include portraits of John Lennon, who Wood knew when they both lived in New York, Jimi Hendrix, with whom he briefly shared a flat in London and Chuck Berry, with whom he performed a number of gigs.

There are also portraits of long-time friend, the comedian Peter Cook, as well as such figures as Jennifer Lopez, Sir Elton John, Des Lynam, and Michael Parkinson in his paintings of London restaurant The Ivy, which cover three canvases. Last year he also exhibited at the Royal Academy of Arts in London.

Entitled The Art of Ronnie Wood, the exhibition has been on the road around the world, but organisers hope Wood will be in Edinburgh for the free September show after a US tour with the Rolling Stones ends.

Wood has said he finds painting a useful way to fill the time between rehearsing and performing. "I draw people whenever I can, in the studio, in the control room - when I get a bit of time I just do a quick sketch. I go about drawing [band members] in the same way I go about doing anyone."

Martin Hunt, a spokesman for the Compton Cassey Gallery, which is bringing the show to Edinburgh, said the paintings were visually striking. "It’s a fantastic show, with images of the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Mick Jagger and Peter Cook. Wood has also used a variety of mediums, from oils and sketches to woodcuts. It’s a real coup for Edinburgh that it is coming here before it goes down to Cork Street in London."

http://news.scotsman.com/music.cfm?id=939162004