ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

© 1972 Dominique Tarlé
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bob Rocks Altoona Return to archive
August 12th, 2004 01:37 PM
Sir Stonesalot Let me start off by saying this:

I make great scrambled eggs. Fluffy yet firm, buttery, delicious.

And this:

Willie Nelson is running for President. I like Willie and all...but I ain't voting for him. Kerry is the best chance to get rid of the Bush junta, ergo Kerry will get my vote. I don't like John Kerry very much, but ANYONE is better than Bush Jr.

And now, the main event.

I took my wife and 8 yr old son to Blair County Ballpark last night. Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan were playing a show there. The drive up went pretty well, until we got to the exit for the ballpark. Dead stop. How frustrating is it to drive for an hour to get to your destination, only to be stopped dead within sight of said destination. There was NO TRAFFIC CONTROL!!! No fire police, no street cops...nothing!! And of course, without someone waving traffic along, and relying only on traffic lights, gridlock ensues, and no one can go anywhere. I'm not sure how they could have been so unprepared...but anyhow, after waiting 45 minutes to actually turn into the park, we found a parking spot...about a mile from the park, but at that point we all just wanted OUT.

That was pretty much it for the crappy parts of the evening. Everything else was swell. We missed most of Hot Club Of Cow Town. Caught the last 2 songs, Willie singing one with them. They were pretty good, and I'm sorry that the traffic made me miss them. I'll have to watch out for them. Willie came out soon after the first band was off. He was pretty good. I was not expecting him to be as good as he was. My wife hated him. She said to me, "How come you like this crap, but make fun of Tim(McGraw) and Kenny(Chesney) and Toby(Keith)?" I pretended that I couldn't hear her.

Willie played for about an hour and 15 minutes. He played pretty much everything you'd want to hear at a Willie Nelson show. Beer For My Horses was pretty good without that fuckwit Toby Keith crowing all over it. Crazy was really nice. I really enjoyed the Hank Williams mini-set that he did. My boy was dancing and singing along to "Move It On Over". A fat wookie chick started dancing with him, and he immediately fled behind his mom. I would have done the same thing. Smart kid. Willie had a couple of sons in his band...and one can play a pretty mean guitar. I thought that was cool. It must be a gas to make music with your kids.

Willie was nice, but I was there for the Bob Dylan Show. At about 9:45 pm, "Ladies and gentlemen, Columbia Recording artist.....Bob Dylan."

Here is the setlist:

Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat
The Times They Are A-Changin'
Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
Boots Of Spanish Leather
It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
Watching The River Flow
Man In The Long Black Coat
Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat
The Times They Are A-Changin'
Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
Boots Of Spanish Leather
It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
Watching The River Flow
Man In The Long Black Coat
Highway 61 Revisited
High Water (For Charley Patton)
Honest With Me
I Believe In You
Summer Days
(encore)

Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (acoustic)
Like A Rolling Stone
All Along The Watchtower

Bob has a new guitar player by the name of Stu Kimball. I don't know much about the guy, but I'm guessing he comes from a rock and roll type background. He is far different than Freddy or Charlie. Faster, more muscular. He gives Bob's band a lean, beefy sound that leans hard on the rock and roll. It is a beautiful, beautiful thing.

Lemme hit some high points.

Leopard Skin Pill-Box Hat. This is one of my faves, and last night did nothing to change that. It hit hard right from the start, and served notice that Bob had a hot shit band, and he knew how to use them. Got the crowd up at song #1. I knew right then it was gonna be a very good night.

The Times They Are A-Changin'.

A timeless song that takes on a new type of meaning in today's troubled times. Bob knows it, and plays on it.

Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum.

This is my son's fave, and I hoisted him up on my shoulders so he could get a good view. Larry played hot on this one. You could see it kinda fire Stu up, so he starts playing hot...by the end it was a twin guitar weave fest! Best version of this that I've heard yet.

It's Allright Ma.

Holy SHIT!!! I have now seen Bob 14 times. I have seen him do this song a bunch....but NEVER like this. It is a complete rock and roll arrangement. It kicks teeth! All the air guitar heroes were in their glory. It was like a Pixies song...soft soft soft LOUD LOUD LOUD soft soft soft LOUD LOUD LOUD. Un-fuckin'-real. I almost came out of my skin. After the song was over my kid yells at me..."Dad, Bob ROCKS!" I could not have agreed more.

Highway 61 Revisited
High Water (For Charley Patton)
Honest With Me

Triple H's. Bob continued his rocknrollin' ways with these 3. All 3 boast new rock and rollin' arrangements that kick ass, and feature hot shit guitar playing. Rump shakin' stuff.

Don't Think Twice.

A country arrangement on this one. Bob was throwing fastballs and sliders all night and comes back for an encore with a change up. Bob's band showed it's versatility here. Country twang plays nice on this song. Again, I've heard Bob play this song a bunch, but not like this. Outstanding.

All Along The Watchtower.

Creepy. This song is slowed down a bit, and now sounds flat out spooky. I got goosebumps. Again, it's another timeless song that takes on another new meaning in today's world. Most artists like to end shows on an upbeat. Bob ended ominous. At the end, the band all lines up, Bob in the middle, and stares down the audience. No waving, no smiling, no bowing. They just stand there and accept the adulation of the masses. It is disconcerting. It wigged my wife out.

Overall, this is in the top 5 Bob shows that I've seen, and probably one of the ten best shows that I have ever seen by anyone.

Look, these shows do not sell out. Tickets are easy to come by. Tickets are relatively cheap at $45.00. It's like $20.00 for Willie and $25.00 for Bob....like Nike says, Just DO IT! Kids under 12 get in free, take your kids. It's an awesome night of fun. Just eat before you go. Minor League ballpark food is expensive and it sucks.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
August 12th, 2004 01:57 PM
Factory Girl Thank you for the gret review, Stonesy.
August 12th, 2004 02:20 PM
Lazy Bones Thanks, indeed! Certainly a nice set. Was Boots not a high point?
August 12th, 2004 02:43 PM
Sir Stonesalot Boots was great Lazy B. The whole thing was great. But it was kinda the same way Bob usually does it though. I wasn't suprised by it. I guess that's why I left it out of the highlights.

TMR was there last night, so I hope to have a good recording of this show eventually. He's a nice guy, and I'm glad I finally got to meet him. I asked him how it went and he said it was "pretty rough" where he was.
August 12th, 2004 03:37 PM
gypsy Thanks so much for the review, SS. Bob & Willie are playing here on September 3, and I've been debating whether or not to see them. The boyfriend isn't too crazy about either one...but I'm sure I could persuade him to go.
August 12th, 2004 03:55 PM
Martha Stonesy, TMR e-mailed me from the road this AM and said he was surrounded by "roughsters"...which I immediately interpreted as "assholes" last night! He said they were packed in like sardines. It wasn't that bad in CT or Cooperstown I don't think.

Where were you sitting? On the grassy part of the field or closer on that plastic mat stuff....what is that stuff?

I called in to see how it went earlier today and talked to your boy, SS. He sounded very "up" and happy about being at the show last night. I cannot tell you how that makes me smile! I'm thrilled for all of you!

Sounds like Bob hit all the notes! Like I KNEW he would!

I LOVE the end of the show stare down, but didn't get it the first couple of times. It's hilarious to me now. I look forward to it in fact!

Is TMR on his way to Aberdeen tonight then? I cannot keep track of that man!

LOL

So glad it was a blast....OFF! Knew you would dig the shit out of Stu! Those weaves he and Larry are doing truly are stunning. Out-of-body-experience type of shit!

Oh yeah........

Lexington here I come!!!!!!!!!!

Lazy.......there's still time!!!!!!

peace out,
Martha

I'm not sorry for nuthin' I done.

I'm GLAD I fought....I only WISH we'd won!

August 12th, 2004 04:00 PM
Martha
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Thanks so much for the review, SS. Bob & Willie are playing here on September 3, and I've been debating whether or not to see them. The boyfriend isn't too crazy about either one...but I'm sure I could persuade him to go.

Gypsy....Hook yourself up to someone who is going, if your boyfriend won't bend and GO!

If you can convince him to go.......I can tell you that he will not regret it. People around us at both shows who hadn't seen Bob for years or ever..were literally STUNNED by him. Believe me....you must GO if you possibly can.

Afterall you need your rocknroll medicine and this is like getting two pints of blood with several hits of oxygen....if not better.

WORD!!!!!

;-)

peace out sister,
Martha!
August 12th, 2004 05:03 PM
Gazza >Overall, this is in the top 5 Bob shows that I've seen, and probably one of the ten best shows that I have ever seen by anyone.

'Attaboy. Great review - thanks

Funny you left out "man in the long black coat" out of your highlights. It was a standout for me in Glasgow, but thats a great thing about Dylan shows - everyone's highlights are different.
August 13th, 2004 11:23 AM
egon ss,

let ME say this;
i'm going to the states in september-october.
where do you live and when can i come by to taste you eggs.
(did that sound sexual?)
August 13th, 2004 01:41 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox SS,
I agree that it was a great show, but did you notice that Larry kinda took a backseat to the new guy? At the Washington shows, Larry's guitar seemed louder and I thought he played more lead. Maybe it's just me?
August 13th, 2004 06:20 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah Sox, I noticed that too. Think they are trying to get the new guy in the groove quick? Larry lays back and forces the new guy to play his ass off? Trial by fire. Good idea since it worked.

Egon...I live in the middle of Pennsylvania, and you are welcome at my house anytime. I'll even make sure to get some fresh ham to go with those eggs. You bring the wine.
August 15th, 2004 07:15 AM
Stonesdoug I drove down to Salisbury Md for the show last night but it was cancelled due to the rains from Hurricae Cahrlie
August 15th, 2004 10:44 AM
Martha
quote:
Stonesdoug wrote:
I drove down to Salisbury Md for the show last night but it was cancelled due to the rains from Hurricae Cahrlie

What??? Thanks for posting this news Stonesdoug. Sorry you didn't get to see the show. Will it be re-scheduled? Or did they refund everyone's tickets?
August 15th, 2004 02:06 PM
Gazza No - the show has been cancelled, not postponed

Bob Dylan & Willie Nelson concert cancelled at Perdue Stadium

August 14, 2004 - Tonight’s Bob Dylan & Willie Nelson Concert at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium, which was to be held outdoors, has been cancelled due to the tropical storm warning and flood watch which is in effect for the Salisbury area until Sunday morning. The threat of winds reaching up to 50 mph this evening and accumulating rain became a concern for the safety of concert guests. All tickets will be refunded. “The safety of our guests at Perdue Stadium is paramount. Due to the storm warnings that were forecasted, we had no choice but to cancel the show.” said Shorebirds General Manager, Stephen C. Yaros. Don Sullivan, the concert promoter for Jam Productions said, “Everyone is disappointed about not being able to play tonight’s show. Unfortunately, Mother Nature had the last word.”Please Note the Refund Policy: If you purchased your tickets on the phone at 1-877-639-3728 or on the Internet your account will be automatically credited back within 30 days. If you purchased your tickets at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium Box office, please log onto www.theshorebirds.com/community page, where there is the Refund Request Form to print, fill out, and mail to: Dylan/ Nelson Refund Arthur W. Perdue Stadium P.O. Box 1557 Salisbury, Md. 21801 All refunds will be given within 30 to 60 days once this form and tickets are received. The Delmarva Shorebirds are not responsible for any tickets lost or stolen in the mail. All refund requests must be submitted by 9/30/2004 Your Delmarva Shorebirds thank all for their cooperation in this matter. For ticket refund information call (410) 219-3112.