ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

© 1972 Dominique Tarlé
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Tour 2005-2006? Return to archive Page: 1 2
August 12th, 2004 02:35 AM
marko Have any of u think of this,2005 can happen.But,i dount
europe 2006.Then Germany has Football World Cup,in their
country,games are going to be played in Berlin,Munich,hamburg,stuttgart,and was it dusseldorf.Theres
no way stones can sell tickets better than football.i know
they´ve done it before like 1990,1982,but this is 2006,not
1982.People has seen them,MANY times since.
August 12th, 2004 03:32 AM
Jumacfly hi there!!
that s why they should start the tour in Europe!!!
August 12th, 2004 05:29 AM
Gazza I think the original intention would have been to play Europe sometime in 2005, but with the delays so far 2006 looks more likely.

Wembley Stadium reopens in 2006, in time for the FA Cup final in May of that year. Apparently, it's hoped that the Stones will be the first musical act to play there.

As for the World Cup - each of the last three World Cups to have been staged in Europe (Spain'82, Italy'90 and France '98) have coincided with a Stones European tour. In each of the last two, they struggled to sell tickets in the host country (even though the concerts were scheduled AFTER the tournament) and had cancellations. Sales in other countries whose teams qualified for the tournament were also affected (they had to cancel a stadium show in Dublin in 1990 as ticket sales for EVERY act that summer in Ireland totally bombed as they were in the World Cup for the first time - and even though the Stones show was scheduled for a couple of weeks AFTER the tournament ended).

With the Stones' ticket prices being so high plus the fact they've toured Europe in 1995, 1998, 1999 and 2003, it's becoming harder each tour to sell out large venues (its the same everywhere else, anyway). Germany is their largest market in Europe, but there's no doubt that if they tour Europe the same summer, they'll find it even harder to compete with the World Cup than in previous years. They'll probably avoid Germany until after the tournament ends (early/mid July) but it'll still be a tough sell for the reasons above.

However, they've proved that they can sell out arenas very quickly so maybe they'll choose to play far less stadium shows and play more arenas instead as has been the case in the US on the last tour. So, maybe its a blessing in disguise.

They could, of course, avoid the clash by playing Europe at the beginning of the tour as Jumacfly says, but as the last tour ended in Europe, it would make more sense to first of all play other markets where they havent been for a while.
August 12th, 2004 08:21 PM
corgi37 Then, in 2006, the Commonwealth Games are on here in Melbourne. So, say goodbye to an Aussie tour.

God, i hate them so much.

P.S. No i dont. How could i hate my Stoneys?
August 12th, 2004 09:19 PM
J.J.Flash They must play at least 5 stadiums here (Brazil and Argentina), to mention:

- 2 São Paulo;
- 1 Rio de Janeiro;
- 2 Buenos Aires;

Nuff said....

***********END OF TRANSMISSION*******
August 12th, 2004 10:10 PM
Hjaltig They might as well start the upcoming tour in Iceland!!!
We had once Boris Spassky and Bobby Ficher,Reagan and Gorbachov why not Mick and Keith.. They could even do outsite show we have heatwave right now. http://www.mbl.is/frettir/vedur/
best regards from Iceland
August 12th, 2004 11:28 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I think the original intention would have been to play Europe sometime in 2005, but with the delays so far 2006 looks more likely.

Wembley Stadium reopens in 2006, in time for the FA Cup final in May of that year. Apparently, it's hoped that the Stones will be the first musical act to play there.

As for the World Cup - each of the last three World Cups to have been staged in Europe (Spain'82, Italy'90 and France '98) have coincided with a Stones European tour. In each of the last two, they struggled to sell tickets in the host country (even though the concerts were scheduled AFTER the tournament) and had cancellations. Sales in other countries whose teams qualified for the tournament were also affected (they had to cancel a stadium show in Dublin in 1990 as ticket sales for EVERY act that summer in Ireland totally bombed as they were in the World Cup for the first time - and even though the Stones show was scheduled for a couple of weeks AFTER the tournament ended).

With the Stones' ticket prices being so high plus the fact they've toured Europe in 1995, 1998, 1999 and 2003, it's becoming harder each tour to sell out large venues (its the same everywhere else, anyway). Germany is their largest market in Europe, but there's no doubt that if they tour Europe the same summer, they'll find it even harder to compete with the World Cup than in previous years. They'll probably avoid Germany until after the tournament ends (early/mid July) but it'll still be a tough sell for the reasons above.

However, they've proved that they can sell out arenas very quickly so maybe they'll choose to play far less stadium shows and play more arenas instead as has been the case in the US on the last tour. So, maybe its a blessing in disguise.

They could, of course, avoid the clash by playing Europe at the beginning of the tour as Jumacfly says, but as the last tour ended in Europe, it would make more sense to first of all play other markets where they havent been for a while.

Gazza,
If I may I would like to clarify the delay thing you spoke of.
There weren't any real delays. It was just The Stones dicking around. The only true delay was when Ronnie went into rehab and that was reported because of the reason that he was bored....(although you can't believe anything until it is from their mouth.) and that was after all summer basically. The Stones had plenty of free time. And sure, I guess they are entitiled to it like anyone but there wasn't any delay. It was a choice. It seems that the only reason The Stones are not touring in the late Fall are because of their own choice not to.
Otherwise I agree with everything you say.
Ian
August 13th, 2004 02:03 AM
marko Well,the tour was postponed because Bernard Fowler isn´t
available before spring 2005.Ronnie thing might be the 2nd
reason.I think the original plans were,to go to studio end
of july,but,i think october/november are close.Live licks is
only released because they had to push the release of new studio album.
August 13th, 2004 05:03 AM
IanBillen
quote:
marko wrote:
Well,the tour was postponed because Bernard Fowler isn´t
available before spring 2005.Ronnie thing might be the 2nd
reason.I think the original plans were,to go to studio end
of july,but,i think october/november are close.Live licks is
only released because they had to push the release of new studio album.

-Thanks for the Input-
Why wait to go into the studio? Go in right now. It would benenfit Ronnie now more than ever if anyone is looking at that aspect of it. Should of been in the studio already. Who knows, Maybe they were here and there. What does Bernard Fowler have to do that is so important that he cannot go on tour with The Rolling Stones?
August 13th, 2004 07:49 AM
Gazza >Gazza,
If I may I would like to clarify the delay thing you spoke of.There weren't any real delays. It was just The Stones dicking around.

LOL. I was being tactful, Ian. For a change.

the band could be starting recording by next month, I believe. Here's hoping.

>Why wait to go into the studio? Go in right now. It would benefit Ronnie now more than ever if anyone is looking at that aspect of it.

well, he DOES have to undergo treatment, which takes time. It's not really advisable to take a break in a rehabilitation program which does have a specific timeframe and schedule to go and do something else. It would defeat the purpose.
[Edited by Gazza]
August 13th, 2004 08:26 AM
nankerphelge Must go to Rio.....
August 13th, 2004 09:32 AM
Joey
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Then, in 2006, the Commonwealth Games are on here in Melbourne. So, say goodbye to an Aussie tour.

God, i hate them so much.

P.S. No i dont. How could i hate my Stoneys?

Corgi is THE KING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 13th, 2004 09:39 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Hell. I'd settle for a new Wino's record & tour at this point. Maybe Keith needs to put a new band together for a while.
August 13th, 2004 11:05 AM
glencar And further delay the Feb. 8, 2005 opener at that small club in Philly? No way!
August 13th, 2004 01:21 PM
Stones The stones will leave the rest of the year open, have their annual January meeting to decide what they are going to do in 2005. They will put together any songs they have been working on and get to the studio late winter/early spring 2005 and record what they have and write new songs if needed and the new album/tour will be fall 2005 keeping them on thier schedule of album/tour every 3 years.
Sound right ?
August 13th, 2004 01:24 PM
jb The tour was to start on Feb 8, 2005 at the Trocedero in Philly. My current info indicates that it may be pushed back until April/May 2005....
August 13th, 2004 01:27 PM
glencar I knew that assahole was lying like a rug!
August 13th, 2004 02:01 PM
Soldatti 5 stadiums here (on Argentina)?

On Buenos Aires only that, but on some other cities here are full of Stones fans and this maybe is the last time (for us at least) and shows on other places (too) will be good...
August 13th, 2004 02:04 PM
Joey Hi Soldatti

Still can't believe that The Stones bypassed Central / South America last tour whilst playing sixty seven gigs in OZ , Germany , Japan !

Why ?!?!

WHY ?!?!
August 13th, 2004 02:12 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Joey wrote:
Still can't believe that The Stones bypassed Central / South America last tour whilst playing sixty seven gigs in OZ , Germany , Japan !

Why ?!?!
WHY ?!?!

I ask that all days and no answer still, or yes: money...
August 13th, 2004 02:16 PM
jb
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

I ask that all days and no answer still, or yes: money...

Inflation made it financially unviable....
August 13th, 2004 02:20 PM
Joey

On second thought , most likely inflation made it financially unviable....
August 13th, 2004 02:27 PM
Soldatti
quote:
jb wrote:
Inflation made it financially unviable....

1 Dolar - 3 Pesos
50 dollars - 150 Pesos

My salary is 920 pesos or 305 dollars (is a good number here and I'm 21 years old).
The 60% of the country don't have 1/3 of that and others worse.
Of course, there are people with a lot of money and can pay the high tickets, me too with a lot of effort but a lot of the Stones fans here are people with low salaries.
Is a very complicated history...
August 13th, 2004 02:31 PM
jb Soldatti, please advise current sales figures? Are we now in top ten? Muchos gracias y Felice navidad!!!
August 13th, 2004 02:37 PM
Soldatti
quote:
jb wrote:
Soldatti, please advise current sales figures? Are we now in top ten? Muchos gracias y Felice navidad!!!

Nothing new under the sun
Felice pascua (easter)!!!
[Edited by Soldatti]
August 13th, 2004 10:10 PM
glencar After all the country has been through, Argentina deserves a tour. Someone e-mail Mick.
August 14th, 2004 05:50 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Gazza,
If I may I would like to clarify the delay thing you spoke of.There weren't any real delays. It was just The Stones dicking around.

LOL. I was being tactful, Ian. For a change.

the band could be starting recording by next month, I believe. Here's hoping.

>Why wait to go into the studio? Go in right now. It would benefit Ronnie now more than ever if anyone is looking at that aspect of it.

well, he DOES have to undergo treatment, which takes time. It's not really advisable to take a break in a rehabilitation program which does have a specific timeframe and schedule to go and do something else. It would defeat the purpose.
[Edited by Gazza]

Oh I see, A little humor never hurts.
As far as on-going Rehab for Ronnie: If he is out, which I have heard he is from the board here would it be stupid for them to undergo recording? I mean, he would have to check in for rehab maybe once a week but wouldn't it be good if the Stones started to record or set up shop somewhere within the somewhat near vicinity of The rehab center where he is probably to check in some-what regularly (taking into consideration his celeberity status)? It could eneable them to do both. Although you and I both know The Rolling Stones don't work like that nowadays. In the seventies and sixties they very well would of arranged something like this is need be. Today they wait till everybody is clear to go...well except Charlie. Poor Charlie, didn't even get to finish his Jazz tour. and for what? nothing really. Oh well, We'll let them sort it out I suppose.
Ian
August 14th, 2004 10:37 AM
glencar Why did he quit his jazz tour anyway? Was it to touch up this new live album? They're not working on new material as far as we know, right?
August 14th, 2004 07:39 PM
Madafaka Yeap! We need Stones.
And as the change between the peso and the dollar is suitable, we could join all in Buenos Aires and do many parties!
This one is a great city to visit. The beer is excellent and cheap and besides don't forget that in Argentina is the place where the prettiest girls of the world are...
August 14th, 2004 10:21 PM
Soldatti Yeah Madafaka, yeah!!
Page: 1 2