ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

© 1972 Dominique Tarlé
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Some Girls Vs. Emotional Rescue Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
August 12th, 2004 11:03 AM
F505 BTW I have the LP version from ER with that huge poster. You can wallpaper your living room with it.
August 13th, 2004 02:15 PM
Soldatti
quote:
F505 wrote:
BTW I have the LP version from ER with that huge poster. You can wallpaper your living room with it.

The poster is one of the few good things on that album...
August 13th, 2004 02:32 PM
Some Guy Shes so Cold has an underlying, undeniable groove to it that just puts your heart in motion.
August 13th, 2004 02:41 PM
Soldatti The poster (and She's so cold) are one of the few good things on that album...
August 13th, 2004 03:02 PM
Some Guy Where the boys go!
August 13th, 2004 03:03 PM
jb
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
The poster (and She's so cold) are one of the few good things on that album...

Down in the Hole, ALl about You, She's so cold, Send it to me, Er, Indian Girl, etc..the album is fucking brilliant.....their last classic imo....
August 13th, 2004 03:04 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Where the boys go

Good music, incredible stupid lyrics...
August 13th, 2004 03:05 PM
Some Guy
quote:
jb wrote:
Down in the Hole, ALl about You, She's so cold, Send it to me, Er, Indian Girl, etc..the album is fucking brilliant.....their last classic imo....

jb is the motherf*cking man!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 16th, 2004 01:49 AM
corgi37 I loved that ER poster. I used to alternate the sides every 6 months.

I've written about ER only recently. 3/10 in my book.
August 16th, 2004 06:54 AM
glencar Book? Seriously?
August 16th, 2004 07:54 AM
Zeeta I prefer Some Girls just because of Lies!!!!! Good weave on that one! "Where the boys go" is a rocker but Jagger's Mockney accent is sickly!
August 16th, 2004 12:55 PM
Soldatti Some Girls is much better album, better songs, better lyrics. ER is a Some Girls wannabe and fails. 4,5/10 is my rating for the album.
August 16th, 2004 01:45 PM
Some Guy Emotional Rescue on shuffle last Friday afternoon! Far friggin out! Lets do it again.
August 16th, 2004 03:17 PM
glencar Half a loaf is better than none, I guess.
August 17th, 2004 01:01 AM
corgi37 Some Girls is more urgent. Miss You is dirty disco, compared to ER, which is the 2nd worst debut single from an album the guys have released. Everything done on ER, is just a lame copy of SG. EG? Wtbg & summer romance? WTF? Jagger hasnt used that accent since around 71! They are just imitations of when the whip comes down, or respectable. Indian Girl is a complete waste of time, effort, and tape. All about you (oh, God, i sign of things to come, a Keith dirge!!) is passable - but to end the album with it??? What a drag!

Not one ballad on ER comes near beast of burden or the wonderful faraway eyes. The "Punky" songs, unlike the SG ones, are as fakely "punky" as something like Crazy Mama.

Even the clear stand out track - She's so cold is average. Clearly, it should have been the 1st single, but that solo!!! Lame, lame, lame.

So, lets compare:

THe covers - SG was great. So great, they nearly got sued. ER was impressive too, what with that wrap around poster, but 1 thing takes the love away from ER. Anyone notice Jagger has a full beard in the pics? Yerckghchghgh!

The clips - Oh, SG wins easily. No contest. I just downloaded WTBG recently. I never, ever saw it before. Pity i had to break that cycle! Man, what a boring clip!!! No, its easy. Miss You, Respectable and Faraway Eyes are classic clips. ER, SSC & WTBG are boring, dull and lame, lame, lame.

Miss You vs Dance - Aw, come on, no contest. Dont let the fact we are all sick of MY cloud your judgement. It was the song that saved their bacon! And, it was the track that (sob) got me into them.

When the whip comes down vs Summer romance - Angry, bitter, insightful lyrics. Totally original view point (a gay garbage collector, for Christ sake!!) against the lame, "Chuck Berry by numbers" SR. And, that accent!

Just my imagination vs Send it to me - No comparison. A great cover of a classic, against a cheezy, woeful reggae style karaoke type track.

Some Girls vs Let me go - Close actually. The former famous for those lyrics. The latter probably the best song on the record.

Lies vs Indian Girl- 1 punch knockout.

WTBG vs Faraway Eyes - Will the real Mick Jagger, please stand up, please stand up (lol). Corn-poe country vs black pudding Cockney. Different types of music, but essentially, both fun songs. Draw!

Down in the hole vs respectable - Mmm, close again. The only song on both albums of the traditional kinda blues they made famous. Then again, respectable is a brutal, classic response to punk saying "we aint ready to fade away just yet (or, as Townesend says in Kids are alright "there's a guitar up 'ere, if any loud mouthed little git wants to come and fucking take it off me"). Yet, DITH has some good lyrics. Pity, oh pity, there is no killer solo.

Before they make me run vs ER - Oh, yeah, a fair fight? Keith's bold "fuck you" to cops, punks, critics vs one of the most lamest songs they ever recorded (matched only by Anybody seen my baby). Who the hell decided ER should be 1st single. Hell, a single at all! Stupid falsetto too. Whats the point?

Beast of burden vs She's so cold - Ok, close again. The former a great song with touching lyrics. The latter about - ho hum - Jagger cant get a chick to get horny. Man, is that all he sings about? Daltrey said the same thing recently, and i agree with him. The former is Mick being real, the 2nd is Mick being, well, Mick. Or, the 1st is Michael Phillip Jagger, father of many, multi millionairre, soon to be divorcee, the 2nd is Mick Jagger - rock star, love god, and i gotta write about it to convince everyone. hey, look at me, i'm up for it, but she's so cold.

Shattered vs All about you - Funny, i dont really like either. Shattered is shit live. AAY is just so flaming boring. But, Shattered wins as there are some cool lyrics, the credits on the song are cool, the backing vocals are out of synch (just the way they should be on a Stones song!) and it aint Keith trying to croon.

So, there you go. SG wins even more easily than i thought. I hope i have convinced you ER lovers to change your mind. If not, so be it. Just be known.

I am right.

August 17th, 2004 06:25 AM
glencar Yes you are.
Page: 1 2 3