ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

© 1972 Dominique Tarlé
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Some Girls Vs. Emotional Rescue Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
August 11th, 2004 05:23 PM
F505
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

check it out on CD soon! Its a whole new ballgame.

Any more tips?
August 11th, 2004 05:25 PM
Some Guy look both ways before crossing the street.
August 11th, 2004 05:29 PM
Some Guy Tonight it's Emotional Rescue Vs. Goats Head Soup.
August 11th, 2004 05:34 PM
F505 Make it Undercover versus Dirty Work and I am out of the discussion
August 11th, 2004 05:38 PM
Some Guy
quote:
F505 wrote:
Make it Undercover versus Dirty Work and I am out of the discussion

hmmmm??
August 11th, 2004 05:41 PM
F505 there is no sense in discussing things that are not worth while
August 11th, 2004 07:38 PM
Bloozehound I'm pretty sure ER will never make any those pinheaded "greatest album of all time" lists, but I consider it a truely unique gem amongst a treasure trove of gems.

Mix equal parts attitude, humor, sex and sleaze. Throw in some great hard driving sloppy rockers, a couple ass- thumpin' funkified disco tunes, one reggae, one ballad, one blues for ya, and an Indian Girl. All served up with the Stones masterful musical craftsmanship and whadya get, one bad-ass rockin' Rolling Stones party!

Party, Hearty, Smarty, Farty!

Plus it's one of the last albums with that golden-era Stones sound.

What's not to like.

If loving it is a crime - then lock me up and throw away the key baby.
August 11th, 2004 11:00 PM
full moon ER is a great album, IMO.....Get stoned to it.........
August 11th, 2004 11:12 PM
tumblingdice Emotional Rescue has it's moments....I have been in those play it over and over moods.....and seem to be the only person I've heard or read on here who actually likes Indian Girl.....lesson number one, better learn while you're young...life just goes on and on getting harder and harder......... but again to each their own huh? But to me Some Girls has always been a favorite, very close to the top competing with Sticky Fingers in my book. Exile too. But for me the feel of Sticky Fingers and Some Girls has what it's all about.....but again that can be said of almost all the songs, and albums over 40 years! Nice to be a fan of a group that has put out so much great music for so long.......Thankfully they were not one hit wonders!!
August 11th, 2004 11:23 PM
tumblingdice Also it is nice to see that fire in you defending the albums and encouraging others to try it again.........much like Max with Dirty Work!!! Which has some good moments on it as well. Not an overall Stonesy sound in the classic sense but yet with attitude and defiance, an old Stones trait!
August 12th, 2004 12:27 AM
Zack To me, ER escapes the doghouse because it is a very funny record, even when it's trying to be serious (eg Down in the Hole), but aside from being the followup to SG, there's no comparison whatsoever. "Bafflingly lame start to the 80s" said the AMG review accurately.

ER vs. Undercover. Now there's a fair fight. I say Undercover hits the canvas two and a half minutes into Feel on Baby, gets up, but goes down for the count after the JJF riff has been rehashed for the third time.
August 12th, 2004 02:58 AM
justforyou Some Girls can get rather monotonous with most songs all using the same underlying riff and feel....even though I really like that feel it's too much for one record:

Respectable
Whip
Lies
Some Girls
Imagination

And the awfull Shattered and Miss You (yes it is a catchy hit - my mom loves it).

Indian Girl on the other hand is a wonderful acoustic thing!
August 12th, 2004 04:26 AM
F505 Best songs: Dance (really great), Down in the hole, Emotional Rescue. Funny song: Where the boys go. Mediocre songs: all the rest.
August 12th, 2004 07:32 AM
Some Guy Emotional Rescue Vs. Goats Head Soup last night (loudly). Emotional Rescue is your winner! This album gets better each time I play it. The last few reviews I read here were all up in it. Stealth like.
August 12th, 2004 08:01 AM
F505 You must be joking!!!! What's up next? Exile on Mainstreet versus Emotional Rescue???
August 12th, 2004 08:40 AM
Some Guy
quote:
F505 wrote:
You must be joking!!!! What's up next? Exile on Mainstreet versus Emotional Rescue???

nah, thats a gimme.
August 12th, 2004 08:56 AM
Chuck emotional rescue is the better record, imo.
August 12th, 2004 09:01 AM
LadyJane
quote:
jb wrote:
ER slightly better....

Wait a minute?? Is jb saying he prefers an album featuring Ron Wood on guitar over an album featuring Mick Taylor on guitar??? I'm in shock!

Sorry...GHS...is the better album..IMHO.

LJ.
August 12th, 2004 09:35 AM
Some Guy Emotional Rescue was the largest selling Stones album to date and was a number one world wide smash. The cover is one of their coolest ever. Coolest Stones album name, say it with me now. Emotional Rescue. I'm just saying.
August 12th, 2004 09:48 AM
Gazza >Emotional Rescue was the largest selling Stones album to date

It was? I always thought Some Girls and Tattoo You were the top two selling studio albums.
August 12th, 2004 09:50 AM
F505 Some Girls and Goat Heads Soup are both better and both have cooler covers. Some Girls has maybe the best rock' n' roll cover ever!

In JB' s defence. When the question was posed Some Girls (Wood) was compared with Emotional Rescue (Wood). Wood was in "topshape" in those days. Even JB has to admit that.
August 12th, 2004 09:50 AM
Gazza >Emotional Rescue Vs. Goats Head Soup last night (loudly). Emotional Rescue is your winner! This album gets better each time I play it. The last few reviews I read here were all up in it. Stealth like.

all this chitter chatter schmitter schmatter about Emotional Rescue on here over the last 2 days before you listened to it gave it an unfair unadvantage in your showdown. I demand a re-match. Especially if you listen to the Mickboy version of GHS instead.
August 12th, 2004 10:13 AM
Some Guy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Emotional Rescue was the largest selling Stones album to date

It was? I always thought Some Girls and Tattoo You were the top two selling studio albums.

actually, in 80 my tape got wore out by me playing it so damn much. I bought a new one, lost it and bought a new one. Got stuck in the tape deck so I bought a new one. Then i bought a cd. So to me, it was the largest selling of any Stones album.
August 12th, 2004 10:15 AM
Some Guy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Emotional Rescue Vs. Goats Head Soup last night (loudly). Emotional Rescue is your winner! This album gets better each time I play it. The last few reviews I read here were all up in it. Stealth like.

all this chitter chatter schmitter schmatter about Emotional Rescue on here over the last 2 days before you listened to it gave it an unfair unadvantage in your showdown. I demand a re-match. Especially if you listen to the Mickboy version of GHS instead.

time to move on.. tonights match up will be the champ Emotional Rescue Vs. Steel Wheels.
August 12th, 2004 10:40 AM
F505 I think ER and Steel Wheels are equal. On each album 3 or 4 good songs. Dance is the masterpiece on ER and Continental Drift on Steel Wheels.
August 12th, 2004 10:41 AM
Gazza >actually, in 80 my tape got wore out by me playing it so damn much. I bought a new one, lost it and bought a new one. Got stuck in the tape deck so I bought a new one. Then i bought a cd. So to me, it was the largest selling of any Stones album.

LOL. Good answer.

>time to move on.. tonights match up will be the champ Emotional Rescue Vs. Steel Wheels.

Steel Wheels because it has Continental Drift. The best Stones song of the last thirty years
August 12th, 2004 10:44 AM
Some Guy
quote:
F505 wrote:
I think ER and Steel Wheels are equal. On each album 3 or 4 good songs. Dance is the masterpiece on ER and Continental Drift on Steel Wheels.

I'll give you that, but Emotional rescue has Emotional Rescue. Ace in the hole!.
(this just in) unable to locate Steel Wheels so that is a forfeit. Tonight we party to Emotional Rescue Vs. Its Only Rock n Roll. Kicking it up a notch, bitch.
August 12th, 2004 10:50 AM
F505 Some Guy please! IORR is another masterpiece in comparison with ER. I advice you to go to a bar this evening and forget these silly contests!
August 12th, 2004 10:50 AM
Navin
There has been some debate about the speed on the 'Emotional Rescue' LP version (78 RPM) being different from the CD version.

I have a tape of 'Emotional Rescue' from an old vinyl recording (dating 15 years back) and also the CD - the LP recording is indeed somewhat faster than the CD version...also this particular vinyl version is missing the beginning talk between Mick & Keith on "Dance (Pt 1)" and is not unlike a shorter version of "Dance (Pt 2)" from 'Sucking in the Seventies'
August 12th, 2004 10:56 AM
F505
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Steel Wheels because it has Continental Drift. The best Stones song of the last thirty years

100 % true. In 1989 I had a spark of hope they might release a real superb album after Steel Wheels. If you can write a song like Continental Drift you are still at the top. But unfortunately we all know what happened.
Page: 1 2 3