ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

© 1972 Dominique Tarlé
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Some Girls Vs. Emotional Rescue Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
August 11th, 2004 09:18 AM
Some Guy I was playing them both loudly last night and I tell ya its a toss up to me. I love them both, but I was really digging on Emotional Rescue for some reason. I Really enjoy that disc. They were hot as shit then. I was young and just getting into the Stones and these songs were everywhere. It was so cool seeing Shes so Cold on MTV. Good times, damn good times. So tonight Tattoo You will step in the ring.
August 11th, 2004 09:32 AM
LadyJane I think that the album to which you lost your virginity, so to speak, will always be extra special.

For me it's Goat's Head Soup. My first Stones album. LOVE IT!!

I prefer SG to ER..probably because, again, it reflects my life at the time. When ER came out I was dating a total psycho who HATED the Stones (hated anyone and anything that took my attention away from him)!! Hopefully he is now rotting in a landfill somewhere!

Besides, Some Girls has that punk ass edge to it!! And what a tour!!!

LJ.
[Edited by LadyJane]
August 11th, 2004 09:40 AM
Sir Stonesalot This isn't even a contest.

Some Girls is far an away the better album. It is my opinion that Emotional Rescue is the Stones low point. It was when the drugs STOPPED working for them. It is so bad that I don't even own a CD copy of it.
August 11th, 2004 09:40 AM
beer emotional rescue.... back then, even their shitty songs were pretty good. they could have written and recorded 'She's So Cold' in their sleep. they probably did. I really like E.R., but Some girls is wayyyyy better.
August 11th, 2004 09:42 AM
nankerphelge Rotting in a landfill somewhere!

Says it all!

I'm with you -- Some Girls is a masterpeice.
ER -- well -- I guess at the time I was just hoping for something a little less discoey -- ER and Dance just never got me there, and Indian Girl is just a poor man's sex change operation as far as I'm concerned.

BUT - Down in the Hole, Let Me Go, Send Her To Me, Summer Romance -- that's some smokin' Stones -- and if Claudine (who is, incidently, back in jail again) had been added instead of any of the above tunes-to-have-a-vasectomy-by....wow!

August 11th, 2004 09:43 AM
Some Guy
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I think that the album to which you lost your virginity, so to speak, will always be extra special.

For me it's Goat's Head Soup. My first Stones album. LOVE IT!!

I prefer SG to ER..probably because, again, it reflects my life at the time. When ER came out I was dating a total psycho who HATED the Stones (hated anyone and anything that took my attention away from him)!! Hopefully he is now rotting in a landfill somewhere!

LJ.

I agree with the lost Virginity statement, thats funny. But there was definitely some heavy petting to Some Girls at that time. Goats Head Soup is awesome. I shall play that tonight Vs. Emotional Rescue. Have a great day!
August 11th, 2004 09:44 AM
Some Guy
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
This isn't even a contest.

Some Girls is far an away the better album. It is my opinion that Emotional Rescue is the Stones low point. It was when the drugs STOPPED working for them. It is so bad that I don't even own a CD copy of it.

Bro, rush out, buy a copy and crank it out. Quickly now!
August 11th, 2004 09:55 AM
LadyJane
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

I agree with the lost Virginity statement, thats funny. But there was definitely some heavy petting to Some Girls at that time. Goats Head Soup is awesome. I shall play that tonight Vs. Emotional Rescue. Have a great day!

FYI...I was 13 when I bought GHS...I lost my Stonesian virginity...NOT..the real deal!! The only sex I was having was in my dreams with Mick!!!! Some things NEVER change!

LJ.
August 11th, 2004 10:01 AM
Gazza "Some Girls" I would rate only behind "Exile" as my favourite Stones album. And only just. Only "Sticky Fingers" would give it a serious argument for their 2nd best album. Everything about it is just fantastic, and it's Mick's absolute high point as a lyricist too. It was also the first Stones album I got into as a fan (I was 15 when it came out)

Miss You - fantastic record. That bridge ("walkin central park etc) still makes the hair on the back of my neck rise. Bill Wyman's greatest moment. The live versions hasve been played to death and never came close to the majesty of the studio version. The 12' version runs for almost 9 minutes. It could run for 9 hours and it wouldnt be enough.

Whip - fuckin' brilliant. Was there ever a cooler PEDAL STEEL solo on a rock and roll record. And Charlie's drumming near the end is breathtaking.

Just My Imagination - they completely redid one of my favourite songs of all time and made it - in it's own way - as wonderful as the original, even though it may as well be a different song.

Some Girls - Bloody hilarious. Sugar Blue's harp is amazing. Get the unedited 6 minute long version on bootlegs which is even better.

Lies - the only song on the album I'd rate as "only" very good. On any other album it would possibly be a standout.

Far Away Eyes - who could have thought that in 1978 the Stones could have put a song like this on a record and EVERYONE would love it.

Respectable - a song worth having a fight to on a saturday night.

Before they make me run - Keith's masterpiece. Perfect

Beast of Burden - after this, even I would go back to the randy old goat. The bridge of the song is especially brilliant

Shattered - had heard nothing like this on a Stones record before. Love that bit where Jagger sounds like hes singing in an empty room, and the guitar solo followed by the way the drums kick in again is just sublime.

"Emotional Rescue"? Theres no comparison. It was the first Stones album that I bought on the day of it's release and I was disappointed then (especially considering how good SG was and also because of the anticipation after it had been delayed six months) and it still ranks as one of the weakest albums of their career (I'd only rank "Satanic Majesties" and "Dirty work" as weaker out of their studio albums, although all three do have their moments).

"Where the boys Go" is actually one of my favourite ten or so songs by the band, but most of the rest of it is, by Stones standards, subpar. Its mostly just OK but a couple of songs are turgid and embarrassing, namely Indian Girl and the title track - which is without question the worst single the band ever released.

Dance - good. Was excellent live in 2002, though!
Summer Romance - OK
Send it to me - weak
Let me go - very good.
Indian Girl - so toe curlingly embarrassing, I have to hide behind the sofa in the dark when I listen to it
Where the Boys Go - fantastic
Down In the Hole - good, but overrated because I think so many of us were happy to get a blues song on a Stones album for the first time in ages
Emotional rescue - EEEEEEEK! ("I will be your knight in shining armour.." indeed. Mick sounds like an internet pervert on that part, 20 years ahead of his time)
Shes So Cold - good riff. Decent song.
All About You - hated it intially. Grew on me later.

[Edited by Gazza]
August 11th, 2004 10:20 AM
Some Guy Hey Gazza, great post. And it is 100% accurate, but for me its Emotional Rescue. In high school and it just came out, riding around in my buddies camaro cruising for girls and hearing Dance or shes so cold for the first time. Seeing the videos. That is a perfect memory to me. I like the song Emotional Rescue, I think it is one tough song, full of attitude and swagger. Very cocky!
August 11th, 2004 10:51 AM
Gazza each to their own! I guess the fact that a record is associated with a key period in your life always gives you a different perspective!
August 11th, 2004 11:15 AM
jb ER slightly better....
August 11th, 2004 11:20 AM
Some Guy
quote:
jb wrote:
ER slightly better....

jb, big ups, home pickle!
August 11th, 2004 11:32 AM
telecaster I am hoping to lose my virginity to the new live album

Some Girls is by far superior to ER

So it is written

I remain, your friend

telecaster
August 11th, 2004 11:33 AM
jb
quote:
telecaster wrote:
I am hoping to lose my virginity to the new live album

Some Girls is by far superior to ER

So it is written

I remain, your friend

telecaster

Cindy Margolis is by far superior to Carmen Electra.
[Edited by jb]
August 11th, 2004 11:35 AM
beer gazza, you pretty much summed up everything that i love about Some Girls. The middle part on Miss You, BTMMR, Beast of Burden, the album is excellent. AND They played the whole album live on the next tour! And it was incredible (listening to '78 boots) the best party album, by far.
August 11th, 2004 11:51 AM
jb Gazza, please elaborate on your "appeals" writing. Are you referring to legal briefs up for appelate review? I did not know you were a lawyer!!! There is nothing to be ashamed about-we(the lawyers) protect the world from greedy corporations and help the little guy get his day in court!!!! I am proud to call you a felloe barrister and welcome you to appear BEFORE THE COURT with me when you come to Florida!!!!
August 11th, 2004 11:53 AM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:
each to their own! I guess the fact that a record is associated with a key period in your life always gives you a different perspective!

J . Kins !
August 11th, 2004 11:55 AM
Gazza No Josh. I'm not a lawyer. I'd have given the game away by now if I had!

you have a PM comin' your way
August 11th, 2004 11:57 AM
jb o.k.
August 11th, 2004 12:01 PM
Some Guy Send it to me always gives me a good summer feeling.
August 11th, 2004 12:02 PM
telecaster
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Send it to me always gives me a good summer feeling.

More than "Summer Romance?"
August 11th, 2004 12:05 PM
Some Guy
quote:
telecaster wrote:

More than "Summer Romance?"

I love that song, the whole album is hot, sweaty laying by the pool, drinking some beers with the buds, turn it up a bit, grilling, chilling music.
August 11th, 2004 12:09 PM
Gazza >I am hoping to lose my virginity to the new live album

I'm hoping to get mine back....so I can lose it again.
August 11th, 2004 04:42 PM
F505 No discussion: Some Girls is the last classic album the Stones made. Emotional Rescue has far too many weak spots. The decline starts with ER and unfortunately has never ended.
August 11th, 2004 04:46 PM
Some Guy
quote:
F505 wrote:
No discussion: Some Girls is the last classic album the Stones made. Emotional Rescue has far too many weak spots. The decline starts with ER and unfortunately has never ended.

I don't know. Tattoo You is great and then the highly, highly
underrated Undercover.
August 11th, 2004 04:53 PM
F505 I'll have to admit Tattoo You is the exception (with only two weak spots: Hang Fire and Neighbours) but Undercover is some of the worst albums I know. Real crap.
August 11th, 2004 05:10 PM
Some Guy Undercover is the best Stones effort after Tattoo You.
Listen to it soon!
August 11th, 2004 05:18 PM
F505 The last time I put that record on (I don't have it on cd) was in 1987....
August 11th, 2004 05:20 PM
Some Guy
quote:
F505 wrote:
The last time I put that record on (I don't have it on cd) was in 1987....

check it out on CD soon! Its a whole new ballgame.
Page: 1 2 3