ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003

Prince of Walles Trust Concert, Hyde Park, London June 29, 1996
By Neal Preston

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: well, what happened... Return to archive Page: 1 2
08-18-02 05:06 AM
stonedinaustralia i'm dying to know

is there somebody out there can give us a "glimmer"

apart from the set list and the fact that that there was a horn section and that ronnie sounded "great" i still don't know much at all... what did it feel like?

what about the members of the board who had the bands required to gain admission...what was it like?... were the drinks reasonably priced??... most of all did they take any risks with the music!!...please report - i'm begging ya!

were they slick and tight or still nicely loose around the edges??...and i say nicely loose not dropping notes and goofing off

how's chuck these days?.. is he still a bitch??

or are you all too shell shocked to put it into words right now.. my advice, for what its worth, pour it out - get it down now while it's still in your head.. you can edit the details later

thanx

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
08-18-02 07:14 AM
nankerphelge Were the drinks reasonably priced!!?? That's good stuff buddy!

Yeah let's have a full Ronnie report -- what is the deal. Can the boy play?

I was putting the pressure on mrs nankerphelge big-time to let me go to Toronto for the gig! She was resisting and now feels entirely guilty that your dearest nanky missed the show purely because of her!!

How long should I rub it in???

Whew its good to be back from the parental hell tour. Now there's nuthing left but the cheering, and drinking, and schmokin', and licking!!

08-18-02 07:30 AM
corgi37 This could be needless worrying, but, i reckon this is the end. high ticket prices, a shit "greatest hits, we cant be fucked to make a new album in 5 years" record coming out, getting older etc. man, i dont know. i might need re-assuring, but i reckon its coming apart. i feel, they have taken advantage of us once too often. god, i hope i am wrong, but does anyone think this tour would be on if jagger sold, like, 3 million copies of his solo record? i feel they are tapped out. what has keith done in 5 years? Fuck, i love his 5 string sting, but, man, another ballad!! It might be different in the u.s., but here in Oz, due to past rip offs and "dont tour there, the bucks aint good enough", the new album/tour is written up as similar to a beach boy re-union bunch of gigs. i am so disillusioned.
08-18-02 07:55 AM
F505 Can someone report how CYHMK sounded? This song is magic. But without a good guitar solo and a good sax solo there is little to enjoy. So how did Bobby Keys and Ron Wood play on this one??? Has someone been to the concert or was the place only filled with the usual movie stars and other jet set ass holes?
08-18-02 08:25 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
This could be needless worrying, but, i reckon this is the end. high ticket prices, a shit "greatest hits, we cant be fucked to make a new album in 5 years" record coming out, getting older etc. man, i dont know. i might need re-assuring, but i reckon its coming apart. i feel, they have taken advantage of us once too often. god, i hope i am wrong, but does anyone think this tour would be on if jagger sold, like, 3 million copies of his solo record? i feel they are tapped out. what has keith done in 5 years? Fuck, i love his 5 string sting, but, man, another ballad!! It might be different in the u.s., but here in Oz, due to past rip offs and "dont tour there, the bucks aint good enough", the new album/tour is written up as similar to a beach boy re-union bunch of gigs. i am so disillusioned.

.......I know exactly where you're coming from Corg! Of course we'll be accused of being mindless whingers, but I think living down here gives one a far more realistic perspective on the facts of life. Still we'll see when, and if they decide to actually make it down here; fingers, toes, eyes & tackle crossed.
08-18-02 09:23 AM
corgi37 Right on gypsy! I know this our yank friends get the good end of the stick. Hey, i aint knocking anybody, but did any aussie ever see any write up on the no security tour? Not a word! Mind you, the latest one has got major coverage. I dont blame the stones for being U.s. centric, cause thats where the money is, but holy shit, what about the rest of the world! Dont forget, jagger's solo record sold 950 copies on day of release un u.k. Fuck all press in Oz meant he sold a damn site less here!Everyone can snicker and say "australia, where' that?", but out of all the record buying markets in the past 2 years, Oz is the only country to have a positive increase in cd sales! Everywhere else is up shit creek. By all means, tour U.S., charge $300 for a good ticket, but, fuck, its gotta end one day. I love this band so much, but i tell you all, its coming to an end. For the life of you all, is jagger as good as 81? is keith gonna move more than 5 foot a night. cause in 07, he didnt! Is Ronnie gonna bother at all! Cause he hasntt for 20 years. i will say again. 4 songs in 5 fucking years, aint good enough. the fucking beatles release more songs!
08-18-02 09:41 AM
juantcb The bottom line is this - they still deliver the fucking goods. If they had sucked in '89, would more people have turned out in '94? And then all over again in '97-'99? AND NOW?

Absolutely not. What the idiot critics don't realize is that the Stones are larger than life. The sum is far greater than the individual parts, which is saying something because those are some pretty damn good individual parts. Arguably the best ever, actally.

People knock the Stones for the ABCKO reissues. Well, guess what? The original CDs from '86 sound like crap. At least they're not reissuing the same old CDs in digipaks or whatever - there will be massive sonic improvements. People knock 'em for putting out a Greatest Hits instead of a new studio album. Well, this band has a 39 year long recording career that has never been compiled into one single document. Um, as far as I can see, no other rock n' roll band has had a 39 year long recording career, and plenty of shmucks have far more Best Of's than the Stones (how many fucking Queen Greatest Hits albums could you possibly need?).

As far as I can see, the only semi-legit criticism is of the insane ticket prices. Well, guess what? The Stones took a huge risk with the No Security tour by jacking them so high . . . and it paid off. They'd be idiots to lower them if it's already been proven that the people will pay that ammount. Hell, I spent $375 for a 5th row Fleet Center ticket and I'm the happiest chief in the whole damn world because of it. In the grand scheme of things, $375 is not a lot of money to spend to stand 15 feet away from the guys who helped shape your life for two hours to watch them in action and have them knock your socks off in the process. So you starve for a couple of weeks, or don't go out as much. You won't remember that part 20 years from now.

And as for the new stuff (or lack thereof), maybe they just didn't initally feel like going through the whole creative process again. Or maybe they no longer felt the need to prove themselves on vinyl - that would be totally justified. I mean hell, they've only put out at least 5 of the 10 greatest rock n' roll albums ever recorded. But look what happened - they went in to cut 4 songs and wound up with 28 rough tracks - in a month! Name one other band who can do that - let alone 4 guys hovering around 60 years old. I'd bet everything that there will be another full studio album, and then another tour, and that the same crap and half-assed pot-shots will come up yet again. But as long as the Stones keep delivering the goods, I'll be lining up like Oliver Twist begging for more.

Self-righteous Stones fan rant over, thanks for reading. 16 days until The Rolling Stones begin thier 5th decade of touring.

Cheers,

John
08-18-02 09:45 AM
gypsymofo60 Quite honestly mate I'm over the 40 licks( is it worth it) argument,apparently unless you've spent like a trillion years blurting out bullshit on this forum,you have no right to criticise, so now I'll just turn my attention to how much Mick & keith are gonna charge me to troll into Colonial Stadium next year; they can charge what they want I guess, but don't tell me it's all the tour promoters greed; because it thiers too. But here's hoping it's worth it.....keepa-choolin' Corg. By the way, if it aint too rude where are you at? Geographically that is!
08-18-02 09:45 AM
SlackerZ Corgi u can't right this shit down.
Sorry about the shit word i am a little upset of what i have read.
08-18-02 09:58 AM
gypsymofo60 As a quite recent Rolling Stone mag. review of 'The Greatest Albums of the ROCK era' stated; most of thier early LPs are indespensible to any serious collection, but claiming that they have produced at least 5 out of ten of the all time greatest records ever made? That's a little over the top, surely? Even for the one time greatest rock'n roll band.
08-18-02 10:05 AM
juantcb OK, fair enough, but Sticky, Exile, and Let It Bleed have to be there. With the UK version of Aftermath on the bubble, too.

Hope I didn't step on any toes with that rant I posted - it was just the culmination of three months of negativity that I've been reading since the press conference back in May. Not directed at any individuals here or anything like that. Just something I had to get it out of my system.

John
08-18-02 10:58 AM
Fiji Joe GYpsyMofo wrote:

".......I know exactly where you're coming from Corg! Of course we'll be accused of being mindless whingers, but I think living down here gives one a far more realistic perspective on the facts of life. Still we'll see when, and if they decide to actually make it down here; fingers, toes, eyes & tackle crossed."

Who the fuck does this guy think he is. This is like the third time in a week this guy has purported to have reached a higher state of enlightenment than the rest of us. Give us your opinion, man. Good or bad. But, no one needs this -- you are somehow more earthy, more in tune with the animals, I eat only natural foods, I am one with the land, I was born a poor black-child, anti-american -- qualification you seem so readily willing to work into almost every post you type.

Please Mr. Wizard, who has the knowledge of a Chinese sage, and the "far more realistic perspective on life", tell me the secrets of world peace, global warning, coal fusion and why Rice Krispies have that snap, crackle and pop. I have been racking my brains for years on these weighty matters.

Ya'll might can guess, I hates me a blowhard.

08-18-02 11:17 AM
stonedinaustralia by god, feej, you make me laugh!!
08-18-02 11:59 AM
Maxlugar CAN SOMEONE FUCKING ANSWER SIR STONESALOT'S QUESTION?!!?!?!?!!!!!!

Jeeez!

I gots to know what these songs SOUNDED like!

It's not enough to know WHAT they played.

M!
08-18-02 12:13 PM
nankerphelge Maxy -- how are the mountains? I'm glad to know they are in good hands! We could have been drinking Heiney's on the deck!! Soon my friend -- soon. First we have a little tour to deal with.

08-18-02 12:18 PM
Maxlugar In the 'dacks right now budd. Gotta go get lunch. I'll check back later.

Maxy!
08-18-02 01:21 PM
nankerphelge That's some fine country up there -- you never know what you'll find. We saw a campground that was advertising a Drag Queen Show at the end of the month. I shit y'all not! The thought of some 300 pound, chainsaw-totin', teeth-in-places-teeth-ain't-meant-to-be, New York mountain woodsman living next to such festivities just kinda tickles ol' nank's funny bone still! He's gonna find out about Pivot Men and Pivot Women, I would suspect!!

Watch out Max, this just shows ya how cloning and genes and stuff is nuthin to mess with. Above Glens Falls, even Steven King doesn't travel at night!

08-18-02 02:08 PM
Sir Stonesalot Just got done reading this thread.

Maxy...I didn't ask any questions here. I think that was SIA & Nanky that asked about the sounds...

Gypsymofo....Who's the sanctimonious fuckwit now?

The funny thing is that I don't have to post a damn response. You and Ulf do a better job of making my point than I ever could.
08-18-02 05:46 PM
stonedinaustralia well, this thread ran off the rails almost immediately...

any hope of a response to my original enquiry???

08-18-02 06:11 PM
Scot Rocks We are thinking all the same SIA, more info is needed!!!!

and no more moaning please!!!!!!!

Mark
08-18-02 08:35 PM
Sir Stonesalot I know we had some regulars who are from the Toronto area. Did any of them get in? Did any of them hang around outside?

What the fuck? Why haven't they posted anything here?

I'd rather have my cock slowly crushed by a steamroller than be forced to join some stupid Toronto website just to get some first hand news.

Bunch of sanctimonious fuckwits. (That's a joke. I must give proper credit for that remark to GypsyMofo90210. You better copyright that thing bro. Oi!)
08-18-02 09:43 PM
Maxlugar Oh yeah. Now that you mention it, it WAS SIA! Sorry sir Stonesy but I've been drinking since 10:00AM. Yes! Vacations rule!

But still I wonder why I can't simply log on to my favorite Stones site and not see even one fuckwit post about the show.

Makes me murderous!

Murderous Maxy, C10.
08-18-02 11:31 PM
Boomhauer Gypso, uh, Shut up. How many times have you said you disapprove and are pissed off about something that is remotely not important at all? Ohhhh, in the last two or three days, I'd say about 10 to 12 times.

if all you have to do is complain about the rolling stones not putting out a new album because they are "lazy", which is by far from the truth, you have to get something else going on in your life. Just go to the Def Leppard site because they have new material out.

I got mad once--- once, about the ticket prices. Then, I just fucking realized that crying about something is not the way to go. If you're going to fucking dilute your mind with "oh, God, the stones are such pricks! Five years, no new material. they do not care about fans. Now I'm gonna kill myself because the Stones aren't putting out a new album! I'm not gonna buy 40 Licks! As God as my witness, I will not support the STones with 4 new songs with 36 old songs!" shit, stop thinking about it. Move on.

BTW, there are more worse things in life than "no new album." I hope you fucking realize that. People have other things to complain and worry about.
08-19-02 06:28 PM
thunders Personally I'm thrilled about the abkco remasters.Since I only had let it bleed and ya ya's on cd,I'm happy as hell I can buy all the studio albums(plus metamorphis)in clear digital glory.Now what to buy first? HMM. Bring the remasters on baby!! Thanx
08-19-02 07:44 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
GYpsyMofo wrote:

".......I know exactly where you're coming from Corg! Of course we'll be accused of being mindless whingers, but I think living down here gives one a far more realistic perspective on the facts of life. Still we'll see when, and if they decide to actually make it down here; fingers, toes, eyes & tackle crossed."

Who the fuck does this guy think he is. This is like the third time in a week this guy has purported to have reached a higher state of enlightenment than the rest of us. Give us your opinion, man. Good or bad. But, no one needs this -- you are somehow more earthy, more in tune with the animals, I eat only natural foods, I am one with the land, I was born a poor black-child, anti-american -- qualification you seem so readily willing to work into almost every post you type.

Please Mr. Wizard, who has the knowledge of a Chinese sage, and the "far more realistic perspective on life", tell me the secrets of world peace, global warning, coal fusion and why Rice Krispies have that snap, crackle and pop. I have been racking my brains for years on these weighty matters.

Ya'll might can guess, I hates me a blowhard.

....You totaly misinterprated that post Mr. Fiji, and I don't claim any higher state of conciousness, or anti American feelings. Everyone is entitled to an opinion...take a fucking valium!
08-19-02 07:50 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Just got done reading this thread.

Maxy...I didn't ask any questions here. I think that was SIA & Nanky that asked about the sounds...

Gypsymofo....Who's the sanctimonious fuckwit now?..I don't know SIR?....apparently you're the bearer of all knowlege you tell me...Still cracking me up no end; two digs, and how many more can you fit in over the course of the week..Go scratch your 'Dirty Work' lp, there's a good lad!

The funny thing is that I don't have to post a damn response. You and Ulf do a better job of making my point than I ever could.

....If wit were shit; you'd be constipated old boy!
08-19-02 08:01 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Boomhauer wrote:
Gypso, uh, Shut up. How many times have you said you disapprove and are pissed off about something that is remotely not important at all? Ohhhh, in the last two or three days, I'd say about 10 to 12 times.

if all you have to do is complain about the rolling stones not putting out a new album because they are "lazy", which is by far from the truth, you have to get something else going on in your life. Just go to the Def Leppard site because they have new material out.

I got mad once--- once, about the ticket prices. Then, I just fucking realized that crying about something is not the way to go. If you're going to fucking dilute your mind with "oh, God, the stones are such pricks! Five years, no new material. they do not care about fans. Now I'm gonna kill myself because the Stones aren't putting out a new album! I'm not gonna buy 40 Licks! As God as my witness, I will not support the STones with 4 new songs with 36 old songs!" shit, stop thinking about it. Move on.....Who used the expression "pricks"- not I!.....See I do listen to other musicians besides The Stones, some of you lot should try it, it's most enlightning!..Oh! you got mad once did you? Well you'll have to forgive the rest of us our little displeasures from time to time, see we can have a dummy spit too if we so choose.

BTW, there are more worse things in life than "no new album." I hope you fucking realize that. People have other things to complain and worry about.

....HAAHAHAHAHA!- You could've fooled me!
08-19-02 08:07 PM
gypsymofo60 Hey Lancealot! 90210, (hilarious mate!) But don't you think it's time to stop throwing your teddy out of the cot just because we don't see eye to eye, look I'm sure you're as bored with this little tete-a tete as I am, I hope you enjoy the shows, and 40 licks, I really do, and that is where I am leaving this particular thread for good, finito!
08-19-02 09:27 PM
Sir Stonesalot No, I'm not bored at all....in fact I like taking swipes at you! It's fun!

Now, obviously I don't know you personally, so none of this is meant that way. It's just a little joust, you know?

So I'll tell you what...If I ever get to Oz, you got the 1st round...if you ever get to the US, the 1st round is on me....ya fuckwit!
08-19-02 10:22 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
No, I'm not bored at all....in fact I like taking swipes at you! It's fun!

Now, obviously I don't know you personally, so none of this is meant that way. It's just a little joust, you know?

So I'll tell you what...If I ever get to Oz, you got the 1st round...if you ever get to the US, the 1st round is on me....ya fuckwit!

.....Fair enough! Sir Rants-a-Lot! I'll even give you my address, and look forward to accomadating you, or any of your other mouth peices on here. "YA KNOB!"
Page: 1 2

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road