ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ahoy review Return to archive
08-16-03 05:04 AM
Mathijs A short review of then ahoy show:

Together with 3 friends we arrived at the Ahoy around 15.30, and a large crowd had already gathered. We met up with about 20 friends and people from the Dirty Work mailing list. It was nice meeting Skippy from Sticky Fingers Journal again, after I met him in Cleveland in 1999. At about 17.00 the people in line started to panic a bit, but we all managed to squeeze in, and we were about fifth row at the entrance �right behind people who had been waiting since 08.30�.The doors opened at 18.45, and what a mess�.Instead of using barricades to control the crowd, they just open the doors, and let everybody make a rush for it �pushing small girls to the glass walls, having older women crash to the glass doors. This was really pathetic. When we entered the floor, it turned out that you were only allowed to go to front stage Keith�s side, the remaining floor (thus also the B-stage were we had planned to go) was closed. Of course people started to panic, and the security was literally mobbed by 100�s of people just pushing the outside. Me and a friend were almost thrown out as we used some force to throw the supervisor of his feet�great fun I thought. But we managed to get to the B-stage with about all of our friends, were we had excellent view of the stage.

The Stones opened like they didn�t open for a very long time: fast, raw, hard. Everybody seemed willing and ready to deliver, and especially Keith was giving his best. The first 8 songs were just excellent �I really think up until this point it was one of the most enjoyable shows I have seen (including Olympia). Tumbling Dice was fast, but slowly the Stones seemed to be drained a bit. The Keith songs were slow paced, but a bit too slow paced for me, and most of the crowd. To me, the Keith songs seemed to be a turning point for the Stones, it seemed that the energy had run out. Love Train was terrible, it just didn�t work. It seemed like some kind of American entertainment with a dressed up Jagger, and the Dutch crowd just didn�t like it. CYHMK was nice, but certainly not the best ever version. Nobody seemed to be able to find the 1-count, and especially Keith seemed to be out of it. Honky Tonky and especially Satisfaction were a disappointment to me �how dare you play Satisfaction in a small arena? When the Whip was great, it was fast and raw, but again Keith seemed to not know it. He was playing in D, and Ronnie came up shouting to him �A ! It�s an A!!�, while drawing out an �A� sign to Keith! IORR and BS were run-throughs, as were JJF.

So, to me, the first 8 or 9 songs were really excellent, really one of the best shows I have seen. But after that, it indeed was Slipping Away. But, the crowd was cooking and proved that I just may have seem them a bit too much�

Two more shows to go: Vredenburg and Astoria, and I slowly start to have a feeling the Astoria show will be my last ever Stones show�.

Mathijs
08-16-03 06:01 AM
shakedhandswithkeith
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
A short review of then ahoy show:

Two more shows to go: Vredenburg and Astoria, and I slowly start to have a feeling the Astoria show will be my last ever Stones show�.

I feel the same........

08-17-03 03:07 AM
hotlicks LAST SHOW... SURELY NOT...HAVE FAITH THE BOYS WILL DELIVER.
08-17-03 12:53 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy "A! It's in A!"

My god, I never thought I'd hear Ronnie, of all people, correcting Keith on what key "When The Whip Comes Down" is played in! Especially because Keith was the one yelling at Mick seven months ago!

Well, how was he at Utrecht?

-tSYX --- Saint Paul the persecutor...
08-18-03 07:04 AM
partner in crime Hi guys,
just got back home after my 3 days dutch tour and still with the buzz in my hears �
ahoy show disappointed me as I found it double faced: the first part great, tough, rough, energetic / the second half, from keith�s set �til the end tremendously sloppy just as it was another show : I found it at least a bit controversional.
great �rocking � setlist full of fast numbers with exile�s excerpts very well played but where�s the blues, where�s soul, where is reggae � first five songs were furious showing the band in top form with keith in the right mood, often fronting charlie�s drum kit giving his back to the audience , then very concentrate on playin�, interchanging riffs, fills and chats with Ronnie � to follow exile�s 4 numbers, again well played but with tumbling dice I think the show had a changeover: the energy the band delivered begin to fade away, little by little and after keith�s songs, vanished, totally.
Love train, an o�jays cover, a song I�ve really enjoyed last November in LA, was this show low point with mick dressed up as a pimp, dancing and running on the catwalk tryin� wake up the audience but the song didn�t work at all in ahoy � CYHMK well played but not with that driving force the guitar intro and drum beats should deliver ; then the worst HTW and satisfaction I�ve ever heard - hey keef, where�s the fuzzy tone, did you forget it that night in tampa???
Being front of stage just aside the b-stage I was hoping for something better but � when the whip comes down was cacophonic to think positive, played by keith and ron in different keys !!! IORR, a song I love, with an unreckonable guitar intro, very low in the mix. Brown sugar, with mistakes here and there to end this stage set� JJF as encore as usual.
IMO the band is really tired at this point, it� s very difficult to have an entire show played with the same intensity, feeling and energy by the whole band, apart of mick that I think is going even better. An year is close to be on since they start this tour and from the wonderful and various setlists of the US leg they are now delivering more or less the same show, tirer than the show before, just one or two changes, shorter ...
I didn�t understand what�s up with Ronnie: he talked too much on stage, often troubling with volumes and tone, often with the hands so far away from his axe � but his solos were very good during most of songs and like razor�s edge at the end of CYHMK.
Charlie � doin�his stuff, also stood up during band intro, the only one with a sweater on !!!
And Keith � where is Keith ? Always hitting the same chord, playing the same solos, making the very same mistakes �
Last point the crowd: I�ve been told dutch fans were the best, stonesland, blah blah � I was FOS ronnie�s side and during the whole set no one moved, no one danced, everyone stood still on his place, sometimes a little hands clappin�, too packed to move around � that�s not my way to follow a stones gig.
Hoping in vredenburg �

Ciao
Yr partner in crime

08-18-03 09:24 AM
Moonisup
quote:
partner in crime wrote:

Last point the crowd: I�ve been told dutch fans were the best, stonesland, blah blah � I was FOS ronnie�s side and during the whole set no one moved, no one danced, everyone stood still on his place, sometimes a little hands clappin�, too packed to move around � that�s not my way to follow a stones gig.

From what I've saw the crowd was great, much better then germany, France or prague..... Can you imagine what crowd their was in the other countries...
08-18-03 09:41 AM
partner in crime hi moonie,
as far as I've read in the past about it I was expecting something's more than a packed house: I've seen a few gigs this tour - LA's 3/Munich Olympiahalle/San Siro/L'Olympia/Ahoy and Vredenburg - in different venues and countries and I guessed people were having more fun (me included) than in ahoy: no way to move, no way to have a beer, a moment of relax ...I felt just packed in...vredenburg was another story but I think intimate setting of a theatre makes the difference
marco
08-18-03 09:58 AM
Moonisup the people on the seats where dancing and clapping, I was right in front of the B-stage, and we could see how fucking packed it was, it was TOO hot also, even a stonesroadie said that to me!
08-18-03 10:36 AM
jb I'm sorry at the very disappointing shows you have had Rik....this tour has been a big let down since they hit Europe...