ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: For a good time call...nsc Return to archive
08-13-03 01:37 PM
Jaxx Some Stones for you, some Neil Young and More Dead for me....aka Midlife Crisis=Summer of Fun.

despite my temporarily gimp status i have to say this has been one hell of a summer for the pro party tour. i was fortunate enough to catch the dead at red rocks for 3 out of the 5 nights. my gimpiness even got me a 4th row seat one night. the other 2 nights i relied on the kindness of "tapers" when the event staff failed. great seats all three nights. 2 weeks later we witnessed neil young's attempt at a concept concert. i have to say the guy was brave to play 2 hours of totally new music. i was okay with it till he came out for a very long encore and jammed out 6 classics with crazy horse. then we all knew what we had been missing all night......

then joey came to town to see steely dan. i met him down at CB potts near "facist's green". despite locking the keys in my car, despite breaking the zipper on my shorts, we had a damn good time. joey is one helluva party animal. after pounding some beers, we headed to the green and sat in these stellar 5th row seats. long tall marguritas came next and once it got dark (they bust you for smoking at facists green....)i got the chiba burning. the folks in our section finally stood up for the encore. it appeared that the howling bass player was looking directly at us as he jammed on his guitar grinning away. i'm like, joey, whats his deal and joey tells me that the bass playerknows who i am since he is a fan of ROCKS OFF and reads this board daily. still not sure whether to believe that or not...i mean consider the source??? but i just want to THANK JOEY for a REAL good time...

a week later i'm in NYC grooving on the big apple with my sister. my cousin, lead singer for the punk band, The Bouncing Souls had a booze cruise CD release party. we cruised out to "her lady", the statue of liberty while we drank and partied and listened to the band. i was fortunate enough to meet the new lead singer for The Dead Kennedy's, my cousin's friend, who is young enough to be the son of the existing band members.....then saturday and sunday, a we head out to Jones Beach amphitheatre for 2 days of The Dead. these tour enders were added on at the last minute and saturday, the 9th was the anniversary of Jerry Garcia's Death. we knew we were in for something special. i just gotta say, this is some fantastic venue on the beach and the sound is just superb. saw one 40 licks t-shirt in front of me, btw....! 3 different sets each night started with acoustic and ended quite electric. lots of bluesy, jazzy jamming! they said this wasn't going to be a "jerry tribute", but i beg to differ. most songs played over the 2 nights were jerry songs or songs about moving on. the sunday night show was really something special. i swear the concert was made to order as they played most songs on my wish list. got the "me and my uncle" acoustic as well as a very electric "all along the watchtower" into the obscure "unbroken chain" off Mars Hotel. i've waited a lifetime to hear unbroken chain. sadly, jerry wasn't there physically, but definatetly in spirit. needless to say the final encore was a very emotional "touch of grey" sang by bob weir. i was surprised since i didn't expect this band to ever play "that" song. good closure.teary eyes for me.

heading home tomarrow, back to reality. i just hope my gutted kitchen is farther along than when i left. as for an endless summer? no such luck. but there's always next year.
08-13-03 02:08 PM
Lazy Bones Now we know why you've been too busy to post..lol!

Great stories, Jaxx!
08-13-03 03:02 PM
Factory Girl Lol, that Joey is a pleasure. Jaxxy, glad to hear you're enjoying your summer.
08-13-03 04:26 PM
Gazza I was really hoping from the title of your post you were going to post your phone number or something!

Glad you had a great time and anjoyed your shows. Welcome back!
08-13-03 06:34 PM
Jaxx
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I was really hoping from the title of your post you were going to post your phone number or something!

LOL. you can find THAT on any bathroom wall. hehehe.

08-14-03 02:19 PM
hotlicks LIFE'S A BITCH FOR YOU GUYS!!!!!
08-14-03 02:59 PM
Jaxx
quote:
hotlicks wrote:
LIFE'S A BITCH FOR YOU GUYS!!!!!

believe me, you don't know the half of it....i just want to say that its always fun to meet members of the rocks off community and to share concert going experiences. fun is what this board is all about. london should be a blast. i hope all you yanks who "cross the pond" MAX OUT for the rest of us unfortunate ones stuck here with our responsibilities.
08-14-03 03:33 PM
Joey " the folks in our section finally stood up for the encore. it appeared that the howling bass player was looking directly at us as he jammed on his guitar grinning away. i'm like, joey, whats his deal and joey tells me that the bass playerknows who i am since he is a fan of ROCKS OFF and reads this board daily. still not sure whether to believe that or not...i mean consider the source??? but i just want to THANK JOEY for a REAL good time... "

Damn Straight My Mile High Momma .....................

That was none other than Walter " Chiba Chiba " Becker himself ( who bears a very very strong resemblance to Fleabit Peanut Monkey by the way ) .

Walter and Donald have both admitted in interviews that they read " Gasland " and " Rocks Off " and knew Denver would be special ....................Damn Shame I didn't connect with the www.Dandom.com WebMaster Jim " Hoops " McCann as he had some Backstage passes for us to meet up with WB and take some hits with him .

Oh well , it WAS a great concert and I am glad you had a wonderful time with al of us " DanHeads " Jaxxie . Those Encore songs ROCK !!!!!!!!!!

" No Static at All Ronnie "

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJACKY !
08-15-03 09:19 PM
Maxlugar Does Walter Becker still live in a dumpster?

Jeff Beck has just released his next gold record.

Steely who?

Macky!!!

08-16-03 10:12 PM
Jaxx
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

Steely who?

ya know? thats what i said. had it not been for joey's persistence and generosity in offering the free ticket, i probably would have blown it off with my kitchen being gutted, my knee in turmoil and my NYC trip a day away....but it turned out to be a real rockin' show, despite the catatonic crowd. and joey bankrolled the whole night despite my efforts to purchase a round or 2. joey could reel in my years any ole time.
but first time for me---and i've been listening to their music for 3 decades. i was a fan in the seventies but not of recent times. everyone was wearing hawaiian shirts. red rocks would have been a better less uptight venue for this crowd.

[Edited by Jaxx]
08-18-03 03:03 PM
Joey " Jeff Beck has just released his next gold record. "

I believe it is Jeff Beck who lives in Pete's dumpster .

" ...but it turned out to be a real rockin' show, despite the catatonic crowd. and joey bankrolled the whole night despite my efforts to purchase a round or 2. joey could reel in my years any ole time. "

You are much loved by the Jacky !

" everyone was wearing hawaiian shirts. red rocks would have been a better less uptight venue for this crowd. "

Agreed !!! In fact , they gave away some lawn seat vouchers for the Fiddler's show so I bet we all could have crammed into the Red Rocks Bleachers .

But damn , Joey loves his seat backs and long tall Margaritas and C.B. Potts Pre/ Post Party MicroBrews and easy ten dollar parking right across the street from the venue and close proximity to his Marriott and gorgeous view of the rocky Mountain Range and .......................

" Call Me Fascist Ronnie "

Kins .