ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: OUCH! Jagger Makes Worst Solo Artist List Return to archive Page: 1 2
08-13-03 12:37 PM
Jaxx Jagger makes worst artist list
bbc

Mick Jagger is one of the worst artists in music history, according to a list compiled by a United States magazine.
The Rolling Stones frontman was ranked 13th in Blender magazine's list of the most talentless music acts of all time.

He was behind stars like Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Michael Bolton and Kenny G - with rap outfit Insane Clown Posse at number one.

Jagger, 60, has enjoyed huge success with the Stones - but his solo career has fared less well.

His latest solo album famously sold just 954 copies on its first day of release in November 2001.

Mick Jagger (left) is currently on a world tour with the Rolling Stones

Jagger's solo material was described as worse than something produced by a "tone-deaf six-year-old" by Blender.

David Bowie's rock band Tin Machine were one place higher, at 12, after being deemed "really, really bad".

Also on the list were Vanilla Ice, at eight, LaToya Jackson at 11, new wave group Oingo Boingo at 16 and pop singer Howard Jones at 20.

Jamiroquai were at 25 - one place ahead of Celine Dion - because singer Jay Kay was "the white, talentless Stevie Wonder".

Dance producer Paul Oakenfold was also included, at 35, while legendary rock band The Doors were at 37.

The magazine criticised The Doors singer Jim Morrison for inflicting his "terminally adolescent views on the wider world".

Bob Geldof, Whitesnake and Mike and the Mechanics all made it onto the lower reaches of the list.

Blender editor Andy Pemberton said: "If I were any of these groups, I would be angry about making the list.

"But they should be better. It's their fault they're on it.

---if you feel strongly about this, surf to

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3146753.stm
and vote someone else as worst artist.

more:

Knight Ridder Newspapers
What does Mick Jagger have in common with Michael Bolton, Kenny G and Vanilla Ice?

They've all been named one of the 50 worst artists in music history, according to "Blender" magazine.

The music magazine ranked Jagger at No. 13, mocking the Rolling Stones frontman's solo ventures as worse than something produced by a "tone deaf 6-year-old."

David Bowie's rock band Tin Machine fared even worse, listed at No. 12 and described simply as "really, really bad."

Jamiroquai singer Jay Kay made the list as the 25th worst music artist of all time, dubbed "the white, talentless Stevie Wonder," while Celine Dion was ranked No. 26.

The Doors were at No. 37, with the magazine criticizing singer Jim Morrison for inflicting his "terminally adolescent views on the wider world."

Rap-rock duo Insane Clown Posse was named the worst music artists ever. The pair is best known for outrageous clown masks and an ongoing feud with Eminem.

"Blender's" editor, Andy Pemberton, said: "If I were any of these groups, I would be angry about making the list - but they should be better. It's their fault they're on it."

[Edited by Jaxx]
08-13-03 12:41 PM
Factory Girl Give me a f/ing break. That is just absurd. If Jagger is on a solo artist list, then Gandhi should be on a worst humanitarian list...lol.

Btw, Jaxxy-I hope that you're feeling better and beter.
08-13-03 12:45 PM
Jaxx hey FG! getting there slowly but surely. got another MRI next week. lets keep our fingers crossed

this article bums me out. i can't believe they are saying mick jagger in the same breath as, well vanilla ice(?) for starters! grrrrrrrrrrr
08-13-03 12:47 PM
jb Welcome back Jaxx.....remember that song "Me me so horny" by 2live crew? I always liked it!
08-13-03 12:54 PM
Factory Girl Hey Jaxxy! I had an open MRI(ankle) 10 days ago. I wish you the best of luck and bring a Stones cd to the procedure!

jb- "You so ...." is right. Where is the sec???
08-13-03 12:57 PM
jb Sitting on my lap!!!
08-13-03 01:00 PM
Jaxx well, FG, i'll run for the "shelter of a mother's little helper, or 2" and i should be a-ok. i don't think you can hear a CD over all that knocking. thank god its an open MRI. i'm so clausterphobic. its the sitting still that gets to me.....

and oh no JB. no 2livecrew for me! maybe some beastie boys?
08-13-03 01:38 PM
Factory Girl I had an open MRI. The knocking didn't bother me. I could hear the music just fine. The procedure took about 30 min.

Jaxxy, best of luck to you chickie!!

jb-where are her hands???
08-13-03 01:50 PM
Jaxx well FG. listening to music could be the ticket for decreased anxiety. i will bring my portable cd player and hope for the best.

jb can only hope her hands are where it counts.....
;-)
08-13-03 02:39 PM
Prodigal Son That list is a joke. The Doors? Mick Jagger? There's thousands of worse artists who deserve that list.
Styx anyone?
08-13-03 03:34 PM
jb I think his solo career, with the exception of Freejack, has been a disaster. He and that Emilio Estevez really had good chemistry!!!!
08-13-03 03:44 PM
hotlicks
In my humble opinion, 'Wandering Spirit' is a fantastic Mick Jagger solo album, and a fantastic album in general, which makes it hard to justify him being on a worst solo artists list. He's done some shit albums, I admit, but why could they not have chosen someone truly talentless?

Like Will Young, Gareth Gates, etc, etc, etc....blah, blah,.......
08-13-03 04:11 PM
Dan I would disagree with the Tin Machine part as well as early pre-87 Whitesnake. Other than that the list seems pretty accurate to me.
08-13-03 04:11 PM
Navin "Primitive Cool" is real cool..pity no one else felt so.
Can anyone post the words to "Ruthless People"..hard to find them anywhere.

08-13-03 05:52 PM
egon what is blender magazine anyway?

i surely have never heard of it.

sorry, what's that you're saying?...it's a bag of shite?

oh, ok.
08-13-03 06:37 PM
Jaxx
quote:
egon wrote:
what is blender magazine anyway?

i surely have never heard of it.

sorry, what's that you're saying?...it's a bag of shite?

oh, ok.

apparently a bag of shit, yes. if no one here has heard of it, it can't be anything signifigant...altho, based on the media links, this story hit several publications around the world.
08-13-03 09:12 PM
LadyJane Let me guess....the secret Publisher of Blender is Keef!!

Although I happen to disagree, Keith's going to eat this up!!

LadyJ.
08-14-03 07:43 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Jaxx wrote:
well FG. listening to music could be the ticket for decreased anxiety. i will bring my portable cd player and hope for the best.

I fell asleep in an MRI once. I remember hearing the clanking sound, and thinking that the building could be bombed while I was in there and I wouldn't be able to get out, but then the next thing I knew the technicians were apologizing for letting me in there so long. For all I know they may have gone to lunch and forgotten about me.

Evidently claustrophobia is not among my many mental imbalances.
08-14-03 08:43 PM
Joey " Evidently claustrophobia is not among my many mental imbalances. "

No , but you STILL look like Walter Becker .

Did anyone ever tell you that ?

Thought so .

Kins .

08-15-03 12:24 AM
Madafaka Who cares? We love him!
08-15-03 09:31 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Joey wrote:
No , but you STILL look like Walter Becker .

Did anyone ever tell you that ?

Just you, my C10 brother, and it is true that if I didn't shave - note that I canNOT grow a decent beard or moustache, just patches here and there of various hues and lengths - and put on the old aviator frame specs I wore in 10th grade (yes, the same year I saw Steely Dan do "Reelin' in the Years" on the Midnight Special, before Skunk went all doobie on us)then I suppose I would look a little like Walter.

I will add him to the increasingly unflattering list of minor celebs and miscreants I remind people of:

John Denver
Warren Zevon
Andy Warhol
Elton John
Jeffrey Daumer
Walter Becker

There. Happy now?

Anyone ever tell you how much you resemble Shecky Green?
08-17-03 04:43 AM
hmps I can't understand this really. How can someone who writes "Sway" be on a worst solo-artist-list?

it's so good

i can't understand at all they don't play it on this tour (i know mick taylor plays the solos and jagger the guitar) but that shouldn't be a obstacle).. it's so perfect

08-17-03 02:02 PM
Jaxx
quote:
hmps wrote:
I can't understand this really. How can someone who writes "Sway" be on a worst solo-artist-list?
it's so good

i guess thats the reason this accusation is so absurd. look at all the hack wanna-be-s that didn't make this list. justin timberlake? pl-eeze. i was listening to my radio station the day after the toronto tour and the DJ was saying how the stones played to a record breaking crowd of 425,000 (i think they said--i was only half listening)then they want onto say how justin was pelted with beer bottles the whole time he sang MISS YOU onstage. viva les stones fans!
08-17-03 04:01 PM
Highwire Rob I went to Blender's site and discovered they are "The Ultimate Music Magazine" -- We rock peons are not worthy to challenge their infallibility!

Did anyone try and call up the list of 50? They are so ultimate in their power that they don't even have a "Next" arrow to move beyond the first ten acts listed.

http://www.blender.com/articles/article_466.html

I wanted to see if solo Robert Plant is on their list. I'm a big fan of Plant's solo work (e.g., Fate of Nations). But if Plant's on there then Blender is just envious of some classic rockers and perceives them as easy targets to the magazine's present audience of Timberbilge fans!

If solo Robert Plant is not on their list then Jagger definitely shouldn't be on it either! As much as I like both solo works--Jagger is clearly superior in his original rock songs and production of solo albums.

--Rob.
a so not-ultimate member of Rocks Off
08-17-03 05:06 PM
L&A
quote:
Jaxx wrote:

apparently a bag of shit, yes. if no one here has heard of it, it can't be anything signifigant...altho, based on the media links, this story hit several publications around the world.

How to advertise worldwide without spending money...

Tomorrow I start with a new magazine. Here's the list of the most stupid movie directors:
- Akira Kurosawa
- Terry Gilliam
- Wim Wenders
- Orson Welles
- Martin Scorsese

08-17-03 08:24 PM
Highwire Rob L&A, Good point!

By the way, I recently saw the Lost in La Mancha documentary on Gilliam's "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" filming fiasco.

I recommend that doc--but it's almost as painful as funny to watch. I really feel bad for Gilliam but it's good to hear he's not giving up his project against all the force majeurs!

If he completes his Quixote he will deserve a Lifetime Achievement award for sure!
08-17-03 09:18 PM
Sir Stonesalot What are you people thinking?

They are not talking about Mick the frontman of the Stones...the guy who co-wrote Sway(We all know Lil' Mick should get some credit for that too.)...they are talking solo Mick. As in, Mick by himself should be played so-lo that ya can't hear it.

It's crap music. Sometimes the truth is painful.

Blender is done by Maxim. They LOVE the Rolling Stones. They have a running article called "Ultimate Songs" where they feature an article about an all-timer type tune. They recently featured "Tumbling Dice".

The best solo artist in the Stones is Ronnie Wood. Even Bill "Monkey Grip" Wyman is a better solo artist than Mick.

Is Mick that bad? IMO...yeah. Stick with the Stones Mick. When you do that you are the best there is.
08-17-03 09:44 PM
Dandelion* Wandering Spirit is very good. As is the song God Gave Me Everything, the Performance soundtrack, and yes - even his soundtrack to Invocation of My Demon Brother. Should they erase Running Out of Luck and whatever it is that his first solo album was called? No. But they should forever leave him off such silly lists. But then...you know those lists just want to get a rise outta ya, don't you?
08-18-03 07:43 AM
luxury1 SirStonesalot--you mean to tell me Mick's dick held the pen when he wrote Sway?? Damn, that man is more talented than I ever dreamed.
08-18-03 09:44 AM
Sir Stonesalot Luxy...if it could hold a pen, I don't think the term "Lil'" would apply.

Here is the deal with Mick's solo work. It probably isn't all that bad....but it certainly sounds like crap when compared to any of his work in the Stones. Is it fair to compare his solo work to the Stones? No it isn't, but life ain't fair either.

If Wandering Spirit was a Rolling Stones album, we would rank it right up there with Emotional Rescue and Dirty Work. And those other albums...we'd be denying that they even exist. Mick's solo stuff just can't escape being compared, and when it is....it looks really bad. REALLY bad.

I just saw "Goddess" at a yard sale for $0.25. I didn't buy it. Over-priced.
Page: 1 2