ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

El Ejido according to local witness Stoning!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Just Like '63... Return to archive
20th August 2006 07:59 PM
GotToRollMe http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=17592514&method=full&siteid=64736&headline=it-s-just-like-63-nothing-has-changed-name_page.html

IT'S JUST LIKE 63 NOTHING HAS CHANGED
SLOANE WITH THE STONES
Sloane
THE Rolling Stones have played some of the greatest gigs in rock'n'roll history.

From their live debut at the Railway Hotel in Richmond to just 200 people in 1963 to a historic concert on Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro for ONE MILLION fans last February.

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood and Charlie Watts have done it all.

They've nothing to prove as a live act, they don't need the money and they've recorded some of best songs in pop history.

But after 40 years, nothing excites them more than going on stage every night. That's why Scottish fans who flock to Hampden Park in Glasgow next Friday will see a band on peak form.

"We're not even thinking about stopping," revealed Mick, 63, "We'll see what happens when that day comes.

"I'm sure one day it will all be over but I'm living for the moment right now."

I joined The Stones backstage at the Estadio do Dragao in Porto, Portugal.

Their gruelling A Bigger Bang world tour has taken them to America, Argentina, Brazil, China, Europe and now the UK.

To stage the band's spectacular show requires 126 trucks full of 300 tonnes of equipment.

More than 350 road crew build the show up then tear it down again before moving on to the next city.

It's estimated ticket revenue for the tour will exceed $400million (£209million).

And being rock's No.1 live act means The Stones perform on a stage which is larger than some of the venues they appeared in the 60s.

Mick told me: "Now, I have to sing for two hours each night. In those days I only had to do 20 minutes.

"People say: 'Back then, you used to do two shows a night.' But it was only 20 minutes a time. The set list only had seven songs.

"Our stage now is bigger than some of the clubs we used play in but we're still quite close together.

"I have to watch out that if I do some big move with my left arm I don't smash Keith in the face. I can go miles across the stage and get lost.

"The other night, I ended this number and realised Keith wasn't standing where he usually was. He didn't realise the song was about to finish."

Keith, 62, added: "We've been playing very well which is heartening. It feels really good up there.

"We used to be able to fit all our equipment into two station wagons. That was it.

"Now, the size, scale and technology has got bigger but on stage it's exactly the same.

"Once you're up there, it could be 1963 again. It's timeless."

I talked to The Stones just two hours before showtime. Keith and Ronnie have nightly snooker tournaments before jamming with Charlie in their Camp X-Ray hospitality area.

Mick talked me through his pre-gig ritual: "About one hour before I go on I like to have a bit of peace and quiet. I don't like too much noise.

"I have a routine and do more or less the same things every night but I'm not like a footballer who if his team wins 4-0 he'll always wear his socks the wrong way round or something. We're not that superstitious.

"But in the last five minutes before we go on I've got to rev myself up and get mentally stimulated."

Ronnie, 59, told me: "The music carries more of a sting on this tour and the stage set is fantastic. Everybody says it's aweinspiring to watch.

"We're also so old we have to prove to the fourth generation coming to see us that these old farts aren't that bad after all.

"We can still turn them on and take their minds off all the horrible problems in the world." In Porto, the group performed a string of classic hits including Jumpin' Jack Flash, Ruby Tuesday, Let's Spend The Night Together and Sympathy For The Devil.

Mid-way through the 20-song set, they travelled 200 yards on a moving stage out into the heart of the crowd to play Miss You, Rough Justice and Honky Tonk Women. It's impressive stuff.

By coincidence, two days before our interview, I watched their infamous 1969 tour movie, Gimme Shelter on BBC TV. It documented how a gun-wielding fan - believed to be attempting to assassinate Jagger - was stabbed to death by Hell's Angels during a chaotic gig at Altamont, near San Francisco.

What does Mick remember about that awful experience?

"Altamont was as terrifying as it seemed," he said. "The end of the 60s was terminally chaotic. It was mayhem.

"You'd end up with so many people on stage. It was the same at our gig in Hyde Park in London earlier that year.

"At one point during the Altamont gig a DOG walked across the stage. It didn't even have a pass, no licence, nothing."

Ronnie recalled another - more recent - "Spinal Tap" moment.

He told me: "On the American leg of this tour, we had a network of underground tunnels backstage.

"We went out for the start of the show... or so we thought. We were turning this way and that and suddenly were OUTSIDE the venue. One of the security guys had led us completely the wrong way.

"So that famous scene in the Spinal Tap movie is absolutely true."

Drummer Charlie gets to watch Mick and Keith at close quarters every night. What's that like?

He told me: "Mick is just the best person in the world when it comes to working an audience. He's incredible.

"And Keith is Keith... he's a one off. You can't really analyse him too much but he's very easy to play with." For Ronnie, playing guitar with The Stones is his dream job.

He joined the group in 1975 after a successful spell partnering Rod Stewart in rock legends, The Faces.

He joked: "I'm still the new boy 'cause I'll always be the youngest.

"It was an ambition of mine to join The Stones. When I was at art college I said: 'I'm gonna be in that band.'

"Sure enough, I was in the right place at the right time."

Ronnie recalled how he was asked to replace Mick Taylor, who quit in 1974. He said: "I'd been with the guys when Mick left the band. Jagger turned round to me in disbelief and said: 'What am I going to do?

"He asked me to join but I didn't want to split The Faces, so I said: 'Callme if you get really desperate.'

"A year later, I was ill in bed from all the smog in Los Angeles when he rang and said: 'Woody... we're desperate!'

I'D LIKE TO MAKE A NEW ALBUM.. IT'S WHAT WE DO

IN 2005, The Stones released A Bigger Bang - their first studio album in eight years.

The CD was hailed by critics as a return to form and featured hit singles, Streets Of Love and Rough Justice.

There's already talk about a follow-up next year. Keith told me: "There's no doubt in our minds we'll record again.

I'd like to make another album, it's what we do."

Keith's songwriting partnership with Mick is one of the most enduring in rock history. How does it work?

He revealed: "We keep the writing partnership alive by not trying too hard. We've always found songs come easier if you get on with your everyday life.

"Mick is a great lyricist. If I've got something he can pick up the thread of it immediately.

"He also plays good guitar and comes up with some great riffs."

Mick also keeps up to date with the latest music trends.

He said: "I listen to lots of new bands. I don't have a fantastic favourite but I quite like The Kaiser Chiefs.

"Everybody who wants to be hip talks about Arctic Monkeys but I didn't really play their record much.

"Pete Doherty is not of any interest to me musically. I prefer more Blues-influenced bands. The 22-20s are great."

There's a strong bond between Mick and Keith but often they appear more like a bickering married couple.

Keith said: "In a way, we're like mama and papa but we're still very good friends.

"We're close because we don't live on each other's backs all the time.

Like all good friends we occasionally have tiffs. We've survived them and that's the sign of friendship."

If The Stones stopped rolling tomorrow, keen artist Ronnie could make a living selling paintings.

He's done portraits of the band. What do they think of his artwork? He said: "Mick is the most difficult to paint.

There's so many presences about him. But they all like my work."

You can hear my full interviews with Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie in Billy Sloan and the Rolling Stones on Clyde 1 and Clyde 2 tonight at 7pm.

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
20th August 2006 08:04 PM
Nellcote "There's already talk about a follow-up next year. Keith told me: "There's no doubt in our minds we'll record again.

I'd like to make another album, it's what we do."

That's the line we've been looking for...

Thanks for the article!

20th August 2006 08:20 PM
LadyJane "Once you're up there, it could be 1963 again. It's timeless."

Exactly!!!

Great article. Ms. M.

YOU are really trying to keep this place upbeat. Much appreciated and needed badly.

Rock on, Sistah.

LJ.
20th August 2006 08:50 PM
mrhipfl Thanks a lot for the article. It made my day. Hopefully it will get rid of some of the negativity arround here. The Rolling Stones are a true rock n' roll band. The love what they do, and get on stage every night because of that. Money is important to them, no doubt, but it alone could never keep the band together for over 40 years, especially if they already have more than they could ever spend. Their love for music, performing, their fans, and each other is what really makes them go on tour. You can see that when looking at pictures. Mick always sings his heart out, and Keith always has a huge grin on his face. That smile is what causes all those wrinkles. They will record and perform together until they are physically unable to do so, or until they die. There is no doubt about that in my mind, never was, never will. Damn I love these guys.
20th August 2006 09:50 PM
Soldatti More talking about a new album. Great news.
20th August 2006 10:41 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

Ronnie...told me:

"On the American leg of this tour, we had a network of underground tunnels backstage.

"We went out for the start of the show... or so we thought. We were turning this way and that and suddenly were OUTSIDE the venue. One of the security guys had led us completely the wrong way.

priceless!
21st August 2006 02:57 AM
pdog Nice article... Great way to wind down after a crazy cabbie night in SF.
Actually it was boring, but had a phone call from a friend and had Stones Europe 73 and others to keep me company.
Tomorrow I find out if those $99 front rows tickets exist!
21st August 2006 03:02 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

priceless!

Hilarious.
Imagine their fuckin'face while arriving in the street LOL
21st August 2006 03:22 AM
stonedinaustralia hey ju

yeah i was wondering if they were doing the "spinal tap' thing on the way .. you know going "hey..rock and roll" "yeah rock and roll" etc.
21st August 2006 04:36 AM
FotiniD I was away on holiday so I lost all the negativity you guys are talking about and I'm glad

I mean, we have enough negativity with all the stuff going on in this world, from tiny to major things, so we don't need any more! I'm inclined to ask what exactly caused all the bad vibes (guessing: Mick's laryngitis and the cancellations?) but I won't

They're on the road, they're playing great, I loved the mini-interviews surfacing these last few days and they WANT to do another album. I say, life's good Stones-wise.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)