ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

El Ejido according to local witness Stoning!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Steel Wheels Outtakes Return to archive
20th August 2006 02:00 AM
rnbbird Greetings! Can someone help me? What is the name of the torrent with Keith singing "Almost Hear You Sigh"?
Thanks!
20th August 2006 02:04 AM
pdog RS Monitor Mixes!
20th August 2006 04:28 AM
gotdablouse I was going to start a new thread after downloading, to get off to a good start, hats off to bwaudby again who put an end to our misery of no SW outtakes for 15+ years ! Here is what he posted last week :

"Hi All.
I just tried to create my first torrent. It is from a cassette labeled "Rolling Stones Monitor Mixes May & June 89". I converted the tape to wave files, and then converted them to flac for the torrent. Hopefully I have done it correctly. If not, please let me know.

Here are the tracks on the tape:
Sad, Sad, Sad
Hearts For Sale
Almost Hear You Sigh
Call Girl Blues
Continental Drift
Fancyman Blues
Blinded By Love
Hold On To Your Hat
Between A Rock (And A Hard Place)
- labeled as 'Steel Wheels'
Mixed Emotions
Slipping Away
Ready Yourself (No L/Voc)
Terrifying
Precious Love

The cassette was loaned to me by a friend who got a bunch of tapes from the widow of a member of the RS road crew, so they are authentic. I only received a few tapes to start, but hopefully there are more to come."

A few comments:
1. Great sound
2. Most of the songs (except Drift) sound like final rehearsals/mixes before the actual recording of the final takes took place or maybe just the final vocals. Most of the parts are different. While they don't have the "sterile" shine of the released versions, they would have still been a tad too sloppy for final release
3. This puts an end to the ridiculous debate I had with Karnabach's stooge on UC 9 years ago when he was adamant that "Call Girl Blues" was the working title for "Cook Cook Blues" and not "Break the Spell" as Mick had just told an NME reporter at the time of the release
4. "Ready Yourself" sounds like yet another variation around the "Munich Hilton" theme, with a latin flavour this time...still no vocals alas.
5. The version of Precious Love is a magnificient !

Overall a magificient present for the fans and particularly of outtakes.

By the way there are still a few more unreleased SW sessions to go http://stones.servebeer.com/Trax/1980.htm ;-)

20th August 2006 06:47 AM
gotdablouse Just came across this nice post by PiotrRS in the torrent thread, so I've taken the liberty to repost here.

PiotrRS, to me "Ready Yourself" is a reworked "Munich Hilton"

"Steel Wheels Outtakes:

THANK YOU BOB FOR SHARING IT !

I'm overhelmed with material we were delivered - it's outstanding...

some here are raw sounding tracks, with unfinished vocals by Mick or different vocals (like Hold On To Your Hat), some guitar parts are still not recorded, some are different, versions are also extended. You gotta love the version of Hold On To Your Hat - it kicks ass, raw soudning with blues feeling and I just love we got a bit more of it, Mick still working on lyrics and comments after the song "@#$%& great"; "good, good, good" - YES !

I love listening to this stuff and discover the differences !

and of course...there are few tracks which made me completely speechless and it's Almost Hear You Sigh with Keith on vocals - obviously I know and love versions with Winos, but this...his vocals - it's MORE than beautiful, and that baby voice he sings with,the way he works out the lyrics, the line "babe, I know that I...I shouldn't make you cry, uh yeah...but I can almost hear you sigh" and the ending of the song when he simply shouts out "you feel it baby!? do you feel it, huh!?" - oh yes I do, Keith...can you hear how sweetly he sings word "pleeeeeaaaaaze....." OH...and the bridge at 2:20 to 2:35 is outstanding and the vocals...geeez, it's dramatical in the way and puts tears in the eyes immediatelly...
&
beautiful extended version of Slipping Away, the ending could last forever for me and also Keith's not having his lyrics finished - it's so fascinating to hear him working them out, the same with Can't Be Seen.

I love the way Rock 7 Hard Place sounds, with different horns arragemenets at the beggining and than slighlty different Ronnie's solo and the bridge which is just after that. Fancy Man is extended and has some cool new guitar parts here and there with guitar solos.

Continetnatl Drift has not finished vocals by Mick & no chorus on it, but the arragements is a bit different, new stuff here and there and for me actually it works better than great Steel Wheels version (I mean - the different arragements here and there).

Precious Love is so wonderful, it's actually different from what Stones do normally, but it sounds too good. It's an outtake, but the souldful one, I love it. Mick vocals are great.

THIS IS GREAT THANK YOU TO BOB WHO MADE IT AVAILABLE FOR US. It is one of the greatest discovery in studio bootlegs for years actually. I'm so glad and feel honoured to hear this stuff. I love it, I'm listening to it since I downloaded it. This is definately outstanding stuff...

oh..I still can't believe this track number 3...

when I downloaded it I got .txt file with it...there was info about this recording along with this line:

"The music isn't necessarily unique, but I thought that it might be interesting from a historical perspective."

IT MUST BE CHANGED ! It is unique, interesting and fascinating. It's The Rolling Stones in studio. Simply. Thank you Rolling Stones!

P.S. This track "Ready Yourself"- it reminds me about other Stones outtake, I KNOW I've heard this guitar parts somewhere else before but can't find this now, but I keep on trying, I know it is somewhere in other outtake...ah...where, where, where...it's so intruiqing!

I REALLY HOPE SOME DAY BOB WILL SHARE SOME MORE STUFF WITH US. CAN'T WAIT FOR IT & ONE MORE TIME - THANK YOU!
20th August 2006 07:31 AM
MRD8 I've had this for some time, its been on my "don't trade" list for a couple of years...got it from the same member of their crew I got the roadie tape, Double Door, opening night Chicago, etc. from...the stones crew members widow the original seeder got it from is Chuch McGhee I belive...he says there are many more...can you imagine what Chuch probably had in his collection? The mind boggles...the mouth waters!
20th August 2006 01:03 PM
gotdablouse hum..."don't trade" per who ? I guess we could have done without that piece of information...anyway our friend seems to already have more tapes in hand, hope the ecstatic response he got here will encourage him to convert the other tapes. A scan of the notes on the cassette would be interesting too.
20th August 2006 01:22 PM
mac_daddy
i would love to know what equipment was used to do the transfer...

20th August 2006 06:05 PM
rnbbird Right on-thanks for the clarification...and thanks for th upload!
Bird
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)