ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

El Ejido according to local witness Stoning!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stever Miller Bashes The Stones.... Return to archive Page: 1 2
17th August 2006 03:48 PM
RollingstonesUSA Got this from iorr.org

Legendary Miller, Allmans rock a whole new generation of fans
By Jed Gottlieb
Thursday, August 17, 2006

Steve Miller doesn’t mince words.

“The Rolling Stones are posers,” the 62-year-old Miller said. “When you go see the Rolling Stones, most of it is Mick Jagger bouncing around onstage. Flabby arms, pasty white skin, shaking his 65-year-old ass (he’s 63). I’ve seen the Rolling Stones and you can’t take your eyes off Mick because he’s so weird. He’s bouncing around like a drag queen. They don’t really have to do that. The music is really good, but it’s not about the music.”

How can Miller, a senior himself, criticize Mick and Keith for still milking the touring cash cow when he just began a string of New England dates? Miller, who plays the Cape Cod Melody Tent on Saturday, Meadowbrook in New Hampshire on Sunday and the Bank of America Pavilion Aug. 25 and 26, doesn’t see himself as a rock ’n’ roll poser - and that helps explain why, unlike the Stones, he draws a large number of enthusiastic young fans.

Miller - and the Allman Brothers, who play Aug. 26 at the Tweeter Center in Mansfield - , are deemed elder statesmen of groove, not over-the-hill antiques.

“I don’t have to go out with tight pants on or big hair,” he said. “I don’t have to run from one side of the stage to the other and jump up on the drum riser. I just go out and plug in and play. It’s like coming to watch a jazz band.”

Some might think it’s pretentious for the guy who coined the word “pompatus” to compare himself to Satchmo, but many see aging jamsters as an extension of the jazz tradition.

“People love to see jazz legends like McCoy Tyner and Pharaoh Sanders play together even though Pharaoh is 66 and McCoy is close to 70,” said Jambands.com editor Dean Budnick. “It’s the same in this community. There is the caveat that the player can still really play. But Allman Brother Butch Trucks still hits those drums pretty hard for a guy of any age.”

The fans that go to see these ’70s icons are focused on the music. They don’t care about pyro blasts or laser-light extravaganzas. They want to hear a Trucks or a Miller wailing away with abandon.

With Miller’s ticket sales exceeding his expectations and the Allman Brothers selling out all two weeks of their annual run at New York’s Beacon Theater earlier this year, it’s obvious fans aren’t ready to give up on these guys.

“My friends and I made a pact that we’d see the Allmans every year until they were dead, and that was seven years ago,” said 22-year-old Neil Saber of Boston, who typifies the attitude of many young fans. “There has been a change in the sound as old members drop out and new ones come in, but we’re still coming.”

Saber and friends said they don’t care about a musician’s age. In fact, with many of the Allmans turning 60 this year, they feel like they’re seeing legends at the top of their game, an opinion Miller shares.

“When you get to be 60, that’s when you should be the president of the United States or a five-star general or be running General Motors,” he said. “I can play much better than I could 30 years ago. I’ve never sounded better.”
17th August 2006 03:54 PM
jb Steve Miller-nuff said.
17th August 2006 03:56 PM
telecaster I didn't know he was still alive
17th August 2006 03:56 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Steve Miller-nuff said.

I would like to caress your kneecaps

[cc:ss]

[Edited by Joey]
17th August 2006 03:58 PM
gimmekeef The music is "good"?..This from the assclown that tours playin the hell outta both his hits that were over before 1980....Every song he ever wrote is a complete cop of someone elses tune....
17th August 2006 04:20 PM
Dan "The music is really good, but it’s not about the music."

Isn't that what a lot of people here have been saying? Its been all about the spectacle since at least 1989 if not earlier. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
17th August 2006 04:22 PM
Fiji Joe Gangster of love my ass

[Edited by Fiji Joe]
17th August 2006 04:24 PM
Some Guy Steve will not be greeted.
17th August 2006 04:25 PM
Joey
quote:
telecaster wrote:
I didn't know he was still alive

17th August 2006 04:34 PM
Green Tea Steve Miller is playing the Holiday Inn in Providence this weekend.
17th August 2006 04:35 PM
mrhipfl you guys know he has a point, just admit it.
17th August 2006 04:39 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Green Tea wrote:
Steve Miller is playing the Holiday Inn in Providence this weekend.

Hoilday Inn Express..or a real big 100 roomer?.....
17th August 2006 04:39 PM
pdog
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
you guys know he has a point, just admit it.

I never liked his music, I can't take him serious.
17th August 2006 04:41 PM
telecaster
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Hoilday Inn Express..or a real big 100 roomer?.....

It is a double bill with "Murph and The Magic Tones"

Fuzzy pink shag on the amps and all

Steve Fucking Miller

Abra Kadabra...when was that? 81?
17th August 2006 04:41 PM
Joey
quote:
telecaster wrote:

Abra Kadabra...when was that? 81?

17th August 2006 04:47 PM
telecaster
quote:
Joey wrote:

joey is Steve Miller playing at the Comfort Inn off I-80 anytime soon?
17th August 2006 04:50 PM
Joey
quote:
telecaster wrote:

joey is Steve Miller playing at the Comfort Inn off I-80 anytime soon?

[Edited by Joey]
17th August 2006 05:04 PM
mojoman
quote:
Dan wrote:
"The music is really good, but it’s not about the music."

Isn't that what a lot of people here have been saying? Its been all about the spectacle since at least 1989 if not earlier. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

exactly.all the legacy acts have been milkin it since the mid eighties. the audience mostly middle-aged requires it and the kids that are weaned on classic rock radio expect it. if the stones are all sittin down like bb king does would they sell as many tix? would the audience really care? most are sittin on their arses the whole time anyways
17th August 2006 05:20 PM
polytoxic Bloody hell! Don't they know only we can bash the Stones!
17th August 2006 05:35 PM
CraigP I think it's pure jealousy. Plain and simple.
17th August 2006 06:07 PM
mmdog
I normally dont get involved in these threads, where somebody bashes the Stones. However Steve Miller claiming he has more young fans than the Stones is absurd.
17th August 2006 06:53 PM
Brainbell Jangler Steve Miller may be playing the state fair circuit now, and virtually everything he's done since 1975 has been crap (Abra-fucking-Cadabra in particular), but he did have his day in the Sixties.

His best music predates "The Joker." How many of you have heard his great work with Nicky Hopkins on the "Your Saving Grace" album?

That being said, you must admit that slagging the Stones is a good way to get attention. It got ours, didn't it? Thoug I don't think Steve's approach is the best way to get himself backstage when the boys hit Seattle in October.
17th August 2006 08:05 PM
Riffhard After the abortion that is Abracadabra how can this fucknut be taken seriously?! I mean he was shite even before that crap song.

Riffy
17th August 2006 08:56 PM
quackenbush This is sad. Steve Miller should shut the fuck up whenever someone attempts to interview him. Man, when I was in high school I use to go see the Steve Miller Band play at the Mann Music Center in Philadelphia for like $15.00 and he played all of his hits. It was awesome. Why does he have to go and act like a douche bag?
17th August 2006 09:14 PM
FrankiePeppers
quote:
telecaster wrote:

It is a double bill with "Murph and The Magic Tones"

Now I bet Murph puts on a good show!

17th August 2006 09:55 PM
Lazy Bones anyone with lyrics like these really needs to redirect their criticism-for-change inwards.

Lovey-dovey, lovey-dovey, lovey-dovey all the time
Ooo-eee baby, Ill sure show you a good time

I mean, coming from a guy who's playing in a "tent" that holds 2300 people and calls that "sales exceeding expectations"... I agree!

Keep up the good work, Stevie!

Sheesh...
17th August 2006 10:27 PM
mojoman steve miller unfortunately is burdened by the material which made him rich. before the joker the man put out some classic rock. not the joker and later bullshit. the steve miller band is on the chuck berry at the fillmore disc from 66. boz scaggs was also in early on and nicky hopkins later. miller never learned a lick since then but he didnt have to his first few discs say it all.
18th August 2006 03:37 AM
UGot2Rollme I saw Steve Miller in 1979 and he was a fucking bore in concert. Fat ass, didn't move a bit, played the hits note for note. He is a complete fool to compare what he does (or doesn't do, in this case) to the wonderful, energetic, spectacle of the Stones in concert (particularly Mick).
18th August 2006 07:42 AM
Jair Who cares for SM opinion? Fuck him! Its worth so much as of my retired neighbor, Mr. Romeo, which is 93 years old...
18th August 2006 08:39 AM
egon What a joker...
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)