ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Throbby!!
Fenway Park, Boston - August 21, 2005
© Throbby - Click here for more
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick's Lyrics Return to archive
August 21st, 2005 07:00 AM
Honky Tonk Man Although I have only heard a few songs in full form and the 30 second snippets on Amazon, I felt I should still start a thread in regards to Mick Jagger's lyrics of late.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE MAN?

The lyrics to Oh No, Not You Again, Streets Of Love and Back Of My Hand are abysmal. Rough Justice at least injects a little humour into Rough Justice, but I still feel he's on poor form there too.

I can understand the boys may no longer be capable of creating classics, but unless Mick Jagger (or maybe Keith in some of the songs cases. How much involvement did he have lyrically?) has suffered severe writing block, he really needs to get with the times with his lyrics. Never have I heard a lyrical style so unfashionable by a supposed great band.

NO ONE CREDIBLE, sings about cocks and foxes anymore and unless your a Back Street Boy or any other manufactured pop act aimed at teenagers, sappy ballads like Streets Of Love are completely passé'.

I don't expect classic tunes necessarily, but I really value great lyrics. I don't feel they have it in that department any more.

August 21st, 2005 07:34 AM
Daethgod dude
i love RJ

chickens, fox, rooster, cocks !!

most Stones new stuff i've heard, esp TPIE by Keef just goes to prove that NO-ONE writes songs like this anymore .. and me reckons at least the Stones are doing it

please sir, can i have some more !

August 21st, 2005 08:15 AM
ResidentMule won't stop you from buying the record I'm sure.

c'mon be a realist, Mick's lyrics didn't just get bad in the last couple years. he's hit many lows in the past decade or two. at least he manages to get something that shines through every once in a while. he's been at it more than forty years and written hundreds upon hundreds of song lyrics, no surprise he's running out of things to say.
August 21st, 2005 08:50 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:
won't stop you from buying the record I'm sure.

Of course it won't! Not counting 40 Licks, this is the first new Stones studio effort since I've been a fan. I'm very, very excited.

I'm just a big lyrics fan, that's all. A few great rockers with dumbass lyrics I can handle, it's just that I have a horrible feeling that the whole album will be chocked full of crap lyricism
August 21st, 2005 09:00 AM
Gazza there's plenty of quite good lyrics on this album - ONNYA, SOL and NeoCon are exceptions
August 21st, 2005 09:01 AM
corgi37 Well, anything beats Winning Ugly and Let's Work.
August 21st, 2005 01:43 PM
texile excellent post honky-tonk...whenever some of us bring this point up - we get accused of living in the past, or expecting "poetry"......
no - just lyrics that resonate; i DO like the lyrics to back of my hand and others sound promising, but RJ, SOL, ONNYA - juvenile at the very least; i hear decent lyrics all the time from current artists - and i get THIS from jagger?
i'm amused when current reviewers go on about how "personal" these lyrics are - as if jagger has never been so......"honest"
bullshit - jagger rarely writes about anything BUT himself;
the difference between then and now is that people didn't LOOK for it or EXPECT it back then - the stones' decadent image overshadowed the confessional aspect of some his most personal songs (all of some girls is a great example)
i only have few songs to go by, but you're right honky-tonk...i cringe at the jello/tits/cocks/fox variety.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)