ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Throbby!!
Fenway Park, Boston - August 21, 2005
© Throbby - Click here for more
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Bang" songwriting breakdown Return to archive
August 20th, 2005 06:48 PM
Mel Belli Don Was said on past albums he could tell which song was Mick's, and which was Keith's. This time, however, they all sounded like Rolling Stones.

I think the credits can be divvied up pretty easily, though. My guess is that Mick wrote fully nine of the songs completely on his own, while Keith wrote the two he sings. The remaining five are combos.

Seems like Mick should get more than 50% of the royalties, no?

Rough Justice -- Keith riff, maybe his title; Mick lyrics/ melody
Let Me Down Slow -- Mick
It Won't Take Long -- Keith chords; Mick lyrics/melody
Rain Fall Down -- Mick
Streets Of Love -- Mick
Back Of My Hand -- Mick
She Saw Me Coming -- Keith chords; Mick lyrics/melody
Biggest Mistake -- Mick
This Place Is Empty -- Keith
Oh No, Not You Again -- Mick
Dangerous Beauty -- Keith chords; Mick lyrics/melody
Laugh, I Nearly Died -- Mick
Sweet Neo Con -- Mick
Look What The Cat Dragged In -- Mick
Driving Too Fast -- Keith chords; Mick lyrics/melody
Infamy -- Keith
August 20th, 2005 07:25 PM
gotdablouse Dunno, who are we to say that Don Was is lying, or do you think he's just hyping the story ? It does seem like they spent a lot of time together to kick things off (like they did for VL) and while Mick said he had brought some material as he didn't like to arrive empty handed and that Keith had some stuff too. Honestly, it does look like they were very involved in the whole process writing, arranging, producing, so why nitpick ?
August 20th, 2005 08:24 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Back Of My Hand -- Mick

Huh? That was obviously Mick & Keith sitting down and channeling Son House or Charley Patton. The lyrics are Mick, certainly, but this great return to form is definitely 50/50.

August 20th, 2005 08:33 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Huh? That was obviously Mick & Keith sitting down and channeling Son House or Charley Patton. The lyrics are Mick, certainly, but this great return to form is definitely 50/50.

Nope, I'd say it's 100% Mick. He's playing the slide lick himself; Keith added only some fills (which are generally very nice).

Also, Keith said in one of the many interviews posted here that he woke up one morning to Mick playing the BOMH riff and thought it was a Muddy Waters song he'd never heard before.
August 20th, 2005 09:22 PM
Poplar
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Nope, I'd say it's 100% Mick.

that rythm track is Keith, and THAT'S the song.

August 21st, 2005 02:27 AM
prism Might be just a coincidence but Keith wrote some of Rough Justice after I told him about my fox terrier named Ruff. My dog's a Jack Russell (J.R. transposed is R.J.) Ruff chases ducks and geese. But Mick added some un-Keith lines like "your lips to my hips". I've known Keith a long time. I agree with you, this time most of the songs seem to have Mick's lyrics. Keith still has a solo album waiting around the corner
August 21st, 2005 07:16 AM
gotdablouse WTF ?! Got more insider info ?
August 21st, 2005 08:08 AM
Mathijs The main rythm riff of Back of My Hand is Mick, the lyrics are Mick, so I would say it is a fully 100% Jagger song. The same with It Won't Take Long. It is a signature Keith riff, but I bet he didn't have anything to with it. Just like Highwire -a signature Keith riff written and played by Jagger. It Won't Take Long sounds 100% Jagger to me. A great song, by the way.

Mathijs
August 21st, 2005 09:06 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
The main rythm riff of Back of My Hand is Mick, the lyrics are Mick, so I would say it is a fully 100% Jagger song. The same with It Won't Take Long. It is a signature Keith riff, but I bet he didn't have anything to with it. Just like Highwire -a signature Keith riff written and played by Jagger. It Won't Take Long sounds 100% Jagger to me. A great song, by the way.

Mathijs

Exactly right about BOMH. However, I think Keith probably wrote the IWTL riff. I hear what you're saying about "High Wire," but the telltale sign of whether Mick wrote an open-G, Keith-style riff is if Mick plays it - like on "High Wire," "Sad Sad Sad" and "Hearts for Sale."

IWTL has that open-G A-minor voicing that Keith has been flogging since '97. Also, the whole song generally has a "Low Down" feel to it - more evidence of Keith.
August 21st, 2005 09:35 AM
gotdablouse
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
The main rythm riff of Back of My Hand is Mick, the lyrics are Mick, so I would say it is a fully 100% Jagger song. The same with It Won't Take Long. It is a signature Keith riff, but I bet he didn't have anything to with it. Just like Highwire -a signature Keith riff written and played by Jagger. It Won't Take Long sounds 100% Jagger to me. A great song, by the way.
Mathijs

Hum...and how the f**** would you know this ? Or do you just sound arrogant because you're not writing in your native language ?
August 21st, 2005 10:52 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Nope, I'd say it's 100% Mick. He's playing the slide lick himself; Keith added only some fills (which are generally very nice).

Also, Keith said in one of the many interviews posted here that he woke up one morning to Mick playing the BOMH riff and thought it was a Muddy Waters song he'd never heard before.

Wow! Go MICK! That goes a long way toward redeeming himself after Goddess in the Doorway!
August 21st, 2005 11:07 AM
blackandblue
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:

Hum...and how the f**** would you know this ? Or do you just sound arrogant because you're not writing in your native language ?

He likes to provoke Yankees.
August 21st, 2005 11:55 AM
BlindLemon Is that really arrogant at all? Not a native speaker myself, just wondering.
But the serious question in my mind is: are you (several people in this thread) saying that Mick has "mastered" some Keith trademarks, and actually now Mick is writing some cool songs, which are unlike his solo efforts, and he only does this for the Stones, not really when he is working on his own, taking inspiration from Keith? Or would f.i. "Why don't u just get a gun and shoot it" (I forget the title) fall into this category as well? In all, a lot of songwriting credit info in this thread that was new to me. Thnx a lot.
August 21st, 2005 09:40 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
BlindLemon wrote:
Is that really arrogant at all? Not a native speaker myself, just wondering.
But the serious question in my mind is: are you (several people in this thread) saying that Mick has "mastered" some Keith trademarks, and actually now Mick is writing some cool songs, which are unlike his solo efforts, and he only does this for the Stones, not really when he is working on his own, taking inspiration from Keith? Or would f.i. "Why don't u just get a gun and shoot it" (I forget the title) fall into this category as well? In all, a lot of songwriting credit info in this thread that was new to me. Thnx a lot.

Mick has been playing 5-string, open-G-tuned rhythm guitar at least since "Undercover of the Night"; lots more on "Steel Wheels" - including "Sad Sad Sad" and "Hearts for Sale." Mick played "Rock and a Hard Place" in standard tuning but still in the Keith-y style.

In an interview for "Wandering Spirit" back in '93, Mick said he'd often show Keith some of the riffs he'd written and suggest that he, Keith, play them. But Keith would generously say, "That sounds perfectly OK to me." "High Wire," as we mentioned, is Mick playing in the Keith style. I'd also put "Don't Stop" in that category. Not so sure Keith would ever have come up with "Gun," however.
August 22nd, 2005 04:25 AM
Mathijs >>
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mathijs wrote:
Mathijs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>

I might very well sound very arrogant, I don't care. But, I know this because I use my fucking ears, and you apperently don't. From the first time I heard BOMH I said: that's Mick playing slide, not Keith or Wood. Check older posts on IORR for proof. And, if I listen to IWTL, I'd say that's Mick on open G. I have no proof, but it just sounds too stiff and straight forward to be Keith.

Mathijs
August 22nd, 2005 04:34 AM
beer Mathijs,
What happend to your site with all the Keith/Taylor guitar info? It was excellent! When i try your links i just find the FTS mp3 page.

-
August 22nd, 2005 06:03 AM
BlindLemon Mel Belli, thanks for the info.
August 22nd, 2005 06:24 AM
justforyou So you don't care how you sound yourself, but you sure know how the stones sound. Well, about yourself, you sound too pissed off and ready to justify your own greatness. Not that you don't have interesting things to write, it's just your current style.
August 22nd, 2005 06:59 AM
gotdablouse Yeah, it's really getting old, jeez, can't you just say "I think, maybe, etc..." to get some good discussions going instead of behaving like an a***hole all the time ? With that kind of attitued, something is going to hit you in the face one day and you'll feel sorry for yourself.

Anyway, over the years, Mick has always had the last hand on the lyrics and melodies, guess why, he sings them (other than Keith's songs) ! Even if the original song ideas are Keith's, so I'm not even sure why we're discussing that. So of course when you finalize the lyrics and melodies, you also tidy up the song structure that doesn't make it a Mick song, if not his solo albums would be as good as the Stones CDs and other than a few songs, they're not, regardless of the production. WS had a superb production but only OOFocus, WS and maybe SThing (it was started during Steel Wheels) really had that little extra magic. And guess who brings that, well it's Keith ! So that to me is worth the Jagger-Richards credit as was the Lennon-McCartney credit.
August 22nd, 2005 08:03 AM
John Wood Jagger and open G started in 69 as he came up with the cords to Brown Sugar. Keith did the guitar parts on the recording but it was Jaggers cords and lyrics.
August 22nd, 2005 09:55 AM
Mathijs well, I did say "I'd say that's Mick on open G". As far as I know "I'd" means "I would say", in a "if you ask me" manner.

But I did gave up trying to sound less arrogant years ago. The combination of English not being my native language and my strong opinions, have labeled me as "arrogant" years ago and there's no way I can fight that. Well, I don't care. Mostly there's just a few people who can't read through the arrogance. All else enjoy a good discussion, just like me. And, my opinions are still shared with the greater deal of the hardcore fans.

Mathijs
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)