ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Throbby!!
Fenway Park, Boston - August 21, 2005
© Throbby - Click here for more
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: US fiddler Clements dies aged 77 Return to archive
August 20th, 2005 08:45 AM
Ten Thousand Motels US fiddler Clements dies aged 77

Clements recorded 27 albums as a solo artist
Virtuoso US fiddler Vassar Clements, a highly-regarded studio musician who played on more than 2,000 albums, has died of lung cancer at the age of 77.

Clements joined Bill Monroe's Bluegrass Boys at 14 and worked with artists as varied as Emmylou Harris, Sir Paul McCartney and the Grateful Dead.

Earlier this year his work with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band won a Grammy for best country instrumental performance.

Clements' family said he died at his Tennessee home on Tuesday.

He last performed in February in Jamestown, New York.

Clements' work bridged a number of styles, including country, jazz, classical and rock 'n' roll.

"When the rhythm is good I can play it," he said in a 1988 interview.

No formal training

"He got his start in bluegrass but he was equally comfortable playing bebop - he loved all those genres," said Jeff Hanna of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.

"He was incredibly hip. He always dressed impeccably. My wife always said he was such a handsome devil."

Clements, who appeared in Robert Altman's 1975 film Nashville, taught himself to play at the age of seven and had no formal training.

"It was God's gift, something born in me," he said. "I was too dumb to learn it any other way."

During his long career he worked with many artists, including Johnny Cash, Bonnie Raitt, Bruce Hornsby and the Byrds.

He even recorded with The Monkees - although he admitted he only found out who they were later.
August 20th, 2005 10:26 AM
Ten Thousand Motels For some reason fiddle players don't get much respect. I had never heard of this guy until I read this obit. It seems he built up quite a resume though. They're not the easiest instruments in the world to play either. III uses a great violin player but his name escapes me now. A great fiddle in a rock song always turns me on.
August 20th, 2005 11:53 AM
Martha I know of him and have seen him.

RIP and may God bless.

Another great loss in music.

:-(

August 20th, 2005 11:57 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Martha wrote:
I know of him and have seen him.

Oh. Where? If I might ask?
August 20th, 2005 12:12 PM
Martha Bean Blossom Indiana at Bill Monroe's annual Blue grass Festival circa 1968-1978. Somewhere in there I saw him.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)