ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Throbby!!
Fenway Park, Boston - August 21, 2005
© Throbby - Click here for more
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bigger Bang 2 Return to archive
August 20th, 2005 08:07 AM
Mathijs I wrote a review about a month ago on the four songs I heard at that moment. Here’s an update with more songs I have heard in studio quality up until now, with rating’s inspired by Gazza’s review. A 10/10 means Some Girls-good. Sticky Fingers or Exile would be 12/10, but we all know it’s not 1971 anymore.

Oh No Not You Again: On the press conference I really liked the rough sound of the guitars and I liked the drive of it. Unfortunately, the studio version sounds a bit lame and simple. It reminds me of Jagger’s solo Lonely at the Top, with a bit of Highwire thrown in. Nice, but quite forgettable. 6/10

Rough Justice: I nice song, it has a nice drive and it rocks in a good raunchy manner. It grew on me. I needed ten spins to over come the “it sounds like filler, "just another" Stones track” feeling. It’s quite good in a sing-along manner. I still feel the Stones can write three RJ-songs a day, but once you accept that, it’s nice to play loud while driving a car. I like how the piano enters the end of the song. Turn it up loud and shake your head. 7/10

Streets of Love: the biggest piece of shite ever released by the Stones. It absolutely beats everything ever released by Jagger solo. Goddess is horrible but I don't mind because it is Jagger solo and I couldn't care less, but now Jagger succeeded in having a Goddess outtake performed by the Stones, or at least have Charlie drum on it (I don't hear any other Stones playing). This song makes me feel embarrassed. Its American slick Rob Thomas pop, and I hate American slick Rob Thomas pop. 2/10

Back of My Hand: excellent song, excellent sound, I really like the guitars. But, I truly don't understand you want to put this on an album. It is an excellent outtake, maybe a B-side like The Storm (which in my opinion is a boring ballroom blues). The riff is an old Charly Patton riff, and it is something you warm up with in a studio before you start the real work. Tapes were rolling accidentally, and after some years it ends up on a bootleg. If my memory serves well, they also did parts of this song in Paris 1977. 5/10

Rain Fall Down: an absolute Jagger song, I bet Keith didn’t have anything to do with it. It grooves nicely. It reminds me of “Everything is Turning to Gold” in that the drive, groove and funk is more important than the actual melody. It’s nice to play loud while driving late at night. It sounds like it evolved from a studio jam, and Jagger wrote some lyrics to it. Good song. 8/10

It Won’t Take Long: finally a rock-song that I really like. Good guitars, nice melody, this just simply rocks. It reminds me of the Undercover period, which to me is very good. Finally Wood plays a decent lead guitar again. Just like Rough Justice it won’t shake the world, we’ve seen it all before a bit, but this just is real good Stones-anno-2005-music. 8/10

This Place is Empty: I like this song. It has a nice melody and excellent verses. Keith sings quite good, it’s a nice catchy little song. Far better than The Worst, Thru and Thru, You Don’t Have to Mean it. This is the kind of songs that Keith should make a solo album with. Invite some friends and guests, and make a good George Jones-style album. And please include his version of Love Hurts with Norah Jones, that was hauntingly beautiful. 8/10

Sweet Neocon: of course I have to say the lyrics are good, but actually, it misses the mark completely. Musically, it is a Primitive Cool-type throw-away, and Jagger’s lyrics just sound corny and fake. 4/10

Infamy: a nice, reggae style song. Nothing noteworthy actually. A bit like You Don’t Have to Mean it. Forgettable. Time to get beer. 5/10

Laugh, I Nearly Died: Best of the album, and actually the best thing the Stones (well, it’s a Jagger solo song, really) have released since Tattoo You. It is a mixture between Heaven and Out of Control, and in a way it really reminds me of Jah is Not Dead. Not the style, but the emotion of Jagger’s vocals. For the first time since 1981 Jagger’s emotions sounds convincing again. 10/10.

That’s it for the songs I have in studio quality. Other’s I have heard through lesser quality so I can’t comment. I do think that this album could be better than expected. It’s direct, raw, bold and punchy, and this really benefits the songs. It’s much more sincere than Voodoo Lounge, and it misses the over production of some B2B tracks. Jagger’s Goddess had some good songs (and some terrible ones!), but even the good songs were made unlistenable due the slick over-production. On this album, the good songs are presented raw and direct, and are meant to be played loud. The not-so-good songs are not “saved” by strings, synths, loops and what more as Jagger did on his solo albums, and to some extent also on B2B. The not-so-good-songs just fall hard. I do think that this album is a complete Jagger effort, and that Keith really didn’t have anything to do with the writing part. It’s Jagger’s lyrics, Jagger’s melodies, Jagger’s guitars. Wood and Richards are allowed to play theire signature guitar parts to lift this album from a Jagger solo project to a Stones album, but I really think this is a Jagger album, with some of the Stones guesting.

Mathijs

August 20th, 2005 08:35 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Again no review of "Dangerous Beauty"?
August 20th, 2005 08:45 AM
Nellcote Thanks for the review.
Many folks have spent time giving their opinions.
I've picked up some Stones historical prespectives
which I've not read/heard before.
These add to the pleasure of being a Stones fan.

Having said all of that, it's the last line which I'd like to remind all why we gather here, and at other boards.

Because we are fans.

I'd draw a line towards a sports fan.
You may not like the team make up, but everyear, you come back for more.
You might think you could assemble a better team to win, however, you root like mad for your team.

I've taken the angle that I'm a Stones fan.
I've really not found anything I've not enjoyed.
Sure, some things could've been recorded better, sung better, more effort placed towards the songs.
In the end, it is what it is.

Again, thank you for the insight towards this.

As I will continue to say,
It's the Stones dammit.
Life's too short to worry about what could have been.

Now, I'm readying to meet many Stones fans in Bahston..
Gotta Jet............
August 20th, 2005 10:27 AM
gotdablouse Usual Mathijs excessive and arrogant style, some good comments spoilt by ridiculous ones, time to grow up dude and spare us your nonsense.

[Edited by gotdablouse]
August 20th, 2005 10:37 AM
the good It doesn't sound like all Jagger to me. In an interview Keith indicates that he wrote Rough Justice.
August 20th, 2005 11:13 AM
exile
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
this just simply rocks. It reminds me of the Undercover period, which to me is very good.

Well..............that says it all to me.
August 20th, 2005 11:48 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
I do think that this album is a complete Jagger effort, and that Keith really didn’t have anything to do with the writing part. It’s Jagger’s lyrics, Jagger’s melodies, Jagger’s guitars. Wood and Richards are allowed to play theire signature guitar parts to lift this album from a Jagger solo project to a Stones album, but I really think this is a Jagger album, with some of the Stones guesting.

WTF? Did I accidentally take the blue pill, or is it a dream brought on by Stones deprivation syndrome???
August 20th, 2005 01:15 PM
ListenToTheLion this just simply rocks. It reminds me of the Undercover period, which to me is very good.

If you think Undercover is very good than I can't take your review serious.
August 20th, 2005 01:17 PM
glencar
quote:
gotdablouse wrote:
Usual Mathijs excessive and arrogant style, some good comments spoilt by ridiculous ones, time to grow up dude and spare us your nonsense.

[Edited by gotdablouse]

LOL careful, he'll think it's me in disguise!
August 20th, 2005 01:26 PM
Mathijs From what I hear, Keith's songs are Rough Justice, This House is Empty Now and Infamy. That's three out of 16 songs. All other songs are in my opinion true Jagger songs. All the lyrics, melodies and guitar lines are by Jagger. I wouldn't be surprised that the open G guitar on It Won't Take Long for example is played by Mick, not Keith.

And I think Undercover is the last true Stones album. The energy, the drive, the waeving of the guitars, the song writing, Jagger's vocals: it really is the last album the Stones did as a band in a time they still mattered. Unfortunately it is spoilt a bit by the 80's production, but I try to listen through that.

Mathijs
August 20th, 2005 01:40 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Mathijs wrote:

And I think Undercover is the last true Stones album. The energy, the drive, the waeving of the guitars, the song writing, Jagger's vocals: it really is the last album the Stones did as a band in a time they still mattered. Unfortunately it is spoilt a bit by the 80's production, but I try to listen through that.

Mathijs

I think Undercover and Dirty Work are among the two worst albums they've ever made. Lots of fillers, uninspired songs, bad lyrics, a lot of noise, ugly artwork. Tattoo You was the last good album imo. SW, VL and BTB are all mediocre but not as bad as Undercover or DW...
And no they certainly didn't matter any more at the time Undercover was released. The real excitement was gone after Some Girls.
August 20th, 2005 02:02 PM
Lord Homosex To each his own opinion, as far as the albums go. But I honetly don't get it when someone thinks Undercover is a weak album. The 80's production is a little annoying but I just do not see the lousy filler tracks on this one. Dirty Work is marred by so much that went south.
But UC you the title track - very starong single. Hit all over it. Great guitars.
She was Hot - a true Stones rocker with an excellent chorus. Chorus also features the only time I can recall that leavell is in foreground and does not bother me.
Tie You Up - is a cool sassy funk bluies number. Electric piano great and that huge drumsound in the breakdown.
I wanna hold you - Superb Keith number. really innocent 60's type number.
Feel On Bay - Reggare groove that rings of a long long jam. I like the lyrics a lot.
Too Much Blood - Jagger raps, plays guiutar. Good hornchart. The lyrics, you gotta love em. Only detraction is the Jim barber guitar IMO
Pretty beat Up - Ron's groove. Excellent Stones mud. Maybe should have remained instrumental.
Too Tough - this is a supertight often overlooked gem. they should play this one.
All The Way Down - another cool little number. To me this one Beat Up and Feel On Baby could belong on Exile in the type songs they are. remind me of Turd ion the Run, Stop Breaking Down and Just wanna see his Face respectively. I like the way jagger speeds the words out here. The chorus is rabblerouser.
Must Be Hell -the only real clinker IMO. recycled riff, and forced raveup at the end. Lousy.
This tunrebd into a UC review in a ABB thread. Apologies.
August 20th, 2005 02:58 PM
glencar Nope, UC is not a bad ffort at all. It's problem was that it followed Tattoo You & it suffered in comparison.
August 20th, 2005 03:28 PM
Soldatti SOL is not so bad, a 5/10 rating is right for me.

Undercover is a killer album, loud guitars, great lyrics and great songs. The most underrated Stones' album EVER.
August 20th, 2005 05:04 PM
Moonisup
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

Undercover is a killer album, loud guitars, great lyrics and great songs. The most underrated Stones' album EVER.

up there with EMO R
August 21st, 2005 11:06 AM
Nasty Habits Well, if you want to get into "last true Stones albums", for me it's clearly Dirty Work. Things get so uncomfortable and awful vibewise by the end of side two that someone has to die to bring relief. Once side two shrugs off the 80s, the final three songs are the greatest sustained stretch of Stones music of the last three decades.

But anyway, Mathjis, to my ears the lead guitar in It Won't Take Long sounds like Keith - I don't think Ronnie has the patience to lay down a two-chorus solo without ever descending into some fast runs.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)