ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Thanks Throbby!!
Fenway Park, Boston - August 21, 2005
© Throbby - Click here for more
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Byrds Return to archive
August 19th, 2005 01:20 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Why is this band so underatted? You never hear them mentioned that much around here.
August 19th, 2005 01:24 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
August 19th, 2005 01:41 PM
T&A don't think they are under-rated at all. most people that i know regard them as one of the top 1-2 U.S. bands of the sixties. i certainly do.
August 19th, 2005 03:05 PM
Starbuck excellent band that had great harmonies and their own sound. also helped to spawn CSN. can't shake a stick at that!

crosby didn't deserve the liver transplant, though.
August 19th, 2005 05:22 PM
Child of the Moon I'll always have a place in my heart for the Byrds. The band is pretty well-known, but what I think people don't get is the sheer breadth of their work. Most everyone thinks of them as the "Turn! Turn! Turn!" or "Mr. Tamboruine Man" guys. But I refer you to 5D, Younger Than Yesterday, and the exquisite Notorious Byrd Brothers. Those three discs are some of the best music you'll ever hear from the '60's rock scene. And they couldn't be any further from their first two albums in terms of inspiration and sonic mindfucking.

Then you've got their Gram Parsons/Clarence White country days, which are extremely underrated, IMO. Sweetheart of the Rodeo is a full-blown country classic, and their post-Parsons albums - especially Untitled - are really excellent country-rock. Certainly on par with the Burrito Brothers!

Now you've gotten me all jacked up and in the mood! Think I'll throw on Byrd Brothers.
August 19th, 2005 05:28 PM
Child of the Moon From Jimmy McDonough's Shakey: Neil Young's Biography.

"When Crosby was onstage, you couldn't hear anything," said [Jack] Nitzsche, who was constantly telling him to turn it down. "He turned around and said, 'Don't start tellin' me, man. I've been doin' this all my life.' I wanted to say, 'You'll be doin' it the rest of your life, ya fat fuck.'" Once again, Crsoby's regal behavior didn't enamor him to the crew. At one of the final [Neil Young] shows in Long Beach, a coked-up Crosby injured himself jumping around onstage. Elliot Mazer recalls the moment: "How I heard about it was my guy onstage called me and said, 'Crosby's down on the floor. He looks like he's in pain and everybody's having a really good time watching him."
August 19th, 2005 07:31 PM
Chuck Clarence White is one of the best pickers I have ever heard. Lately I have been listening to Byrds soundboard boots from 1970; and a couple are as good or better than "Untitled"---e.g., the Fillmore shows from 01-04-70. Also worth checking out are his bluegrass records and shows from the early sixties with the Kentucky Colonels and Doc Watson.

He and Byrds drummer Gene Parsons invented the b-bender---a "built-in" device fitted to a telecaster which allowed the player to bend the b-string by pulling on the guitar strap. The effect was to raise the pitch a full tone, creating a pedal-steel effect.

Check out this site: http://www.fenderplayersclub.com/artists_lounge/hall_of_legends/white.htm
August 21st, 2005 06:36 AM
Honky Tonk Man I don't particularly think the Byrd’s are underrated. The problem with them in terms of recognition, is that they had a couple of MONSTER hits that completely eclipse everything else they recorded. Not in quality so much, but of course, popularity.

I only own a Best Of, but I really enjoy their sound. My current favourites are He Was A Friend Of Mine and Chestnut Mare.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)